Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

PROBLEM CARRERA S...

Picked up my Carrera S a week ago, All is great apart from some very annoying wind noise coming from the area around the passenger wing mirror. I went to the OPC and took one of the Technicians out so that he could hear it,the noise was so bad it was as if the passenger window was down partly. the car has been booked in for next week to have the wing mirror removed, new sealant apppiled then put back together! all rather annoying on a week old car and a waste of my day off!!! Anyone one else suffering similar problems???

Re: PROBLEM CARRERA S...

I thought that you guys from the UK were hard to annoy. Although I have not had this problem yet, it is only one day. Whereas, my 997 "S"ucker has been in and out of the shop for 42 cumulative days and counting.

cheers,

jb

The loaner Chevy I'm driving has a similar wind noise from a defroster vent though.

Mine has a stiff 2nd gear but it doesn't bother me as I expect problems initially especially after running a LOTUS a few years ago that spent more time in the garage than on the road.

Grant

Sorry to hear about the problem - I heard a similar noise on the demo car I had.... I thought the noise could have come from the window seal on the passenger door - i.e. the automatic window "drop" and "close" when opening and closing the door, may not have been sealing properly.

Good luck with the fix.

Rgds
    Prashan

sorry to hear that Grant.uk, keep us posted with the fix, which I hope will be soon. I find it hard to imagine that it could be the mirror? are your sure its not a window problem?

Sorry to hear about that. I just purchased mine and I've had to take it in for problems concerning the alarm system. Basically what happens is that it goes off at random times of day, it's very annoying when it occurs at 3 in the morning. My dealership has told me that they have contacted Porsche and were told that it is an ongoing problem with new 997s and they have not found a solution as of yet. Has anyone else had this problem?

thanks,
    Ray

Quote:
    krown05 said:
    Sorry to hear about that. I just purchased mine and I've had to take it in for problems concerning the alarm system. Basically what happens is that it goes off at random times of day, it's very annoying when it occurs at 3 in the morning. My dealership has told me that they have contacted Porsche and were told that it is an ongoing problem with new 997s and they have not found a solution as of yet. Has anyone else had this problem?

thanks,
    Ray

Did you have Lo-Jac or any other after market electronic accessories installed? On my 996 the Lo-Jac installer tapped into the interior light circuit and everytime Lo-Jac tried to recharge its battery it drew enegy from that circuit. The alarm system thought someone was breaking into the car since it thought the interior lights were going on. Just a thought. It took my dealer a couple of days to figure that one out.

Phil

Quote:
    grant.uk said:
    Picked up my Carrera S a week ago, All is great apart from some very annoying wind noise coming from the area around the passenger wing mirror. I went to the OPC and took one of the Technicians out so that he could hear it,the noise was so bad it was as if the passenger window was down partly. the car has been booked in for next week to have the wing mirror removed, new sealant apppiled then put back together! all rather annoying on a week old car and a waste of my day off!!! Anyone one else suffering similar problems???

You bought a mass produced sport car. Expect minor problems. There are an inherent part of high output.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    You bought a mass produced sport car. Expect minor problems. There are an inherent part of high output

Absolutely Nick, as opposed to a limited production sportcars were you should expect many problems, they are an inherent part of limited testing, R&D investement and more primitive production process'

Thanks for pointing that out. Thats why the 911 has got the highest reliability rankings of any sportcar in recent years

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    grant.uk said:

You bought a mass produced sport car. Expect minor problems. There are an inherent part of high output.

So,when did Ferrari get a trophy for low output quality control ?????

Mmmmmmmm..the price of Ferrari quality is that the customer merely pays triple the price of a Porsche, gets to use it half as much, has a third less warranty, triple the service costs and all with with no real performance advantage for a car that probably costs the same to build as a tarted up Boxster.

Someone has to pay for Schumachers F1 parade, and its Ferrari's customers.

Now apparently some people have finally come to their senses
    and given up the snooty baggage of Ferrari ownership. They discovered that Maserati's are the better choice for driving fun.....

http://autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=101851

Nope, it's the standard alarm system. Although I plan on getting Lo-jac....should I worry about that as well?

Thanks,
    Ray

My alarm has gone off twice on its own, but only when locked....

No big deal....I don't lock it overnight...

Quote:
    krown05 said:
    Nope, it's the standard alarm system. Although I plan on getting Lo-jac....should I worry about that as well?

Thanks,
    Ray

Only if it is installed incorrectly. Once mine was fixed I never had the problem again.

Phil

Quote:
    nberry said:

If that were REALLY the case, Toyota's Lexus and Corolla wouldn't be at the top of the quality charts would they? I wonder if your command of the law you practice is similar to your understanding of the car industry.

Quote:
    krown05 said:

thanks,
    Ray

Yes - Mine is at the dealer being fixed as we speak. I can't park the car in central London without the alarm going off. It seems to be ok where there is less electrical interferance in the air such as down at my holiday home by the sea. Will let you know what happens..

Guys anyone noticed this on your 997s manual?

When coming down the box.....worst in 3rd to 2nd.....as you drop the car into second with the clutch fully down you get a rumble from the rear? It feels like the clutch drags for a second or so.

Reported it to dealer who said they would check their demo but never heard back?

Anyone else had this?

Had my headlights changed once already as well as the lenses were heavily cracking around the edges. Check yours as you need to look up close. Dealer replaced them no probs and told me that it was a problem on the 997 and Porsche were actually now out of stock of light units to replace with.

Anyway.....its a great car but I cant help thinking the overall build quality is not as good as my last 2 996's.

Any one else had the gear change problem?

sometimes i just dont feel so nice launching the 2nd i have the feeling that its not so smooth

As for the alarm i dont know if you know it but if you press the lock button on your remote twice the car locks BUT the alarm is de-activated. It is written in the owners manual

Quote:
    polly_x said:
    Guys anyone noticed this on your 997s manual?

When coming down the box.....worst in 3rd to 2nd.....as you drop the car into second with the clutch fully down you get a rumble from the rear? It feels like the clutch drags for a second or so.

Reported it to dealer who said they would check their demo but never heard back?

Anyone else had this?

Had my headlights changed once already as well as the lenses were heavily cracking around the edges. Check yours as you need to look up close. Dealer replaced them no probs and told me that it was a problem on the 997 and Porsche were actually now out of stock of light units to replace with.

Anyway.....its a great car but I cant help thinking the overall build quality is not as good as my last 2 996's.

Any one else had the gear change problem?

Can't say I've noticed the gear thing or the lens problem, but will check it out tomorrow. thanks for the warning

Guys, I have no worries with my noisy gearchanges or cracked headlights anymore.

The 997s is dead. Someone pulled out in front of me yesterday on a dual carriageway and I had no chance.

Impresseive airbag system though. It was like my own personal bouncy castle. Best bit is the badge in the steering wheel hit me so hard from the airbag that I have a perfect Porsche Stutgart print on my wrist now!

:O

Polly sorry to hear that...did you write the car off? I had an accident a few years back dropping a friend off outside his house (he actually had his front door key in his hand....After the airbags went off, his door key was bent over at right angles!! They are seriously powerful!!!

Thats horrible, sorry to hear that at least no personal injuries. Can't imagine using a daily driver without airbags.

Polly,

sorry to hear! Any plans on getting a new one? That easily solved the above mentioned problems...

Polly,
    I'm really sorry to hear your news, thankfully you not injured. What are you going to do now? is it a write off?

Uh-oh, I've heard about this before but, I wasn't sure about it until now. Porsche will send out a FIXER to anyone that complains about problems with their Carrera S.

Anyone selling short term insurance?

jb

Not sure if the car will be written off or not? Its got fairly significant front passenger side damage. Perfact from the doors back though from what I saw.

I think it actually looked worse than it is maybe. Its been taken back to a Porsche centre for assesment. So hard to tell. And whats your thoughts on its write off value anyway? How much damage in Pounds's to call it a write off?

There was just so much bent metal and bumper hanging off that it is just hard to tell. Dont know if there was any structure damage. The windscreen was smashed but may have been from flying debris!

Obviously there was coolant leaking out the front and a hissing noise so I guess that was the air con and rads just all smahsed. I suppose the Pounds end is the back end though which was untouched.

Not sure what to get now though......Spose I will have to wait ages to get another 997s due to the wait list?

I told you : unreliable

Sorry to hear about the accident , but get a photo of your wrist it will make a great avatar

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688672 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408745 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255544 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234804 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65401 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4636 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857609 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773443 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM