Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

spec opinions

I need to firm up my spec on Monday. Thought I'd ask for opinions on anything you would add/remove/change ?

- Leather interior in Ocean Blue
    - 407 19 inch SportDesign wheel
    - 635 ParkAssist (parking aid rear)
    - 567 Windscreen with grey top tint
    - P12 Automatically dimming interior and exterior mirrors with integrated rain sensor
    - 650 Electric slide/tilt sunroof
    - XLF Sports exhaust system
    - 640 Sport Chrono Package Plus
    - 454 Cruise control
    - P01 Adaptive sports seat
    - 342 Heated seats
    - 509 Fire extinguisher
    - XPA Thicker three-spoke sports steering wheel in smooth leather
    - 680 BOSE Surround Sound System
    - 692 CDC-4 six disc CD autochanger
    - 670 Navigation module for PCM
    - 666 Telephone module
    - 446 Wheel centre set
    - Y1 Seal Grey Metallic

Thanks

Re: spec opinions

I personally don't use it but since you are from UK, maybe a rear wiper? also some poeple find the homelink useful. And lastly I always recommend the extended warranty (from 2 to 4 years).

I just assumed that the UK warranty lasts 3 years but I'd better check it now.

My CSL doesn't have a rear wiper and I've never missed it plus rear looks nicer without it maybe.

I considered homelink but it's easy enough to keep the garage remote in the door pockets.

My wife thinks the car looks better without sunroof but I think it looks particularly good when part open.

I havent seen the thicker steering wheel and it seems expensive. The standard wheel on the S is not as thick as the M3 CSL steering wheel which is excellent. From the porsche configurator I can't see any difference so I am guessing it will be a big improvement.

I spent hours stewing over exterior colours and narrowed down to Seal, GT silver, polar silver and arctic. As I like them all pretty much equally I had to convince myself that more expensive does not mean better. Which ever I pick I know I will see the other colours after I've taken delivery and wish I'd chosen a different one.

Are you sure about the combo seal grey - ocean blue? Have you seen it in real?

I agree with the wiper, I never use it and looks ugly, but some people like it.

As to the homelink, its useful in that you don't have to search around in the pockets to find the remotes, but in my case I have too many different remotes for different doors so the homelink can't control them all for me.

fire extinguisher makes passenger uncomfortable.If they try to get comfortable in a certain way, their heels hit it. Maybe just mount an aftermarket unit in back seat floor.

Parking assist uglifies the rear bumper. Do you really need it? If parellel parking is a daily event then maybe get it. Occasional use doesn't justify the "studded" appearance.

Yes, I think you are right about the fire extinguisher - probably a lot cheaper to go aftermarket too.

I know what you mean about the studded appearance on the park assist but I've grown used to using it. Plus, a studded appearance looks much better than a scratched and dented appearance.

Leather interior in Ocean Blue
    - 407 19 inch SportDesign wheel - they will be hell to clean but look nice
    - 635 ParkAssist (parking aid rear) - in UK probably not a bad option if you have on street parking
    - 567 Windscreen with grey top tint - yes for all those grey days
    - P12 Automatically dimming interior and exterior mirrors with integrated rain sensor - yes for Eddie Stobart man and white Transit man make it worthwhile
    - 650 Electric slide/tilt sunroof - yes probably. In the US we don't have a choice
    - XLF Sports exhaust system - probably though no one's heard it yet. If it's like the one on the 996 then a big YES
    - 640 Sport Chrono Package Plus - yes, it's a lot of fun . not only throttle but also PSM and ABS sensitivities change.
    - 454 Cruise control - In Blighty I wouldn't bother as the traffic density is so high
    - P01 Adaptive sports seat - yes if you've tried them when driving the car and found them really comfortable, otherwise beware!
    - 342 Heated seats - yes great on frosty mornings
    - 509 Fire extinguisher - do you intend to track the car?
    - XPA Thicker three-spoke sports steering wheel in smooth leather - found it too thick to a point where it feels like you're wearing ski gloves
    - 680 BOSE Surround Sound System - yes
    - 692 CDC-4 six disc CD autochanger - no wait for the iPod link, or if that fails you can easily add the changer later as it's already pre-wired
    - 670 Navigation module for PCM - yes
    - 666 Telephone module - you almost have to wit the law change - is bluetooth a better option?
    - 446 Wheel centre set - I wouldn't bother with a Seal Grey car
    - Y1 Seal Grey Metallic - yes, but you might also consider Atlas (less common) or, as yours will be an 06, Polar Silver

I agree about the colour combo....Each to their own, but seal grey/blue isn't the most natural fit. If it's what you want go for it, but it may have a bit of an affect on the resale value. Black, sand beige, terracota, would be a little more conventional. Ask the dealer what are the usual combos with seal grey....(get what you want, but at least be aware if it'll be harder to sell later on)

have you thought about going aftermarket on the 'park assist'...There are several products available that dispense with the 'studded sensors' (it's a strip that sits inside the bumper...totally invisible). The 'studs' ruin the visual appearance, are magnets for attracting polish residue, and are very easy to break. All you need is some [censored] to 'tap' you in a car park!! and it'll be a trip to the dealer

I see 'rip-off Britain' is still alive and kicking ....Porsche should be ashamed of themselves for charging ($120) for the top grey tint strip on the windshield!!!

Quote:
    - P01 Adaptive sports seat - yes if you've tried them when driving the car and found them really comfortable, otherwise beware!

As I am currently using CSL buckets so I'm sure it will be an improvement.

Quote:
    jfraser said:
    I agree about the colour combo....Each to their own, but seal grey/blue isn't the most natural fit. If it's what you want go for it, but it may have a bit of an affect on the resale value. Black, sand beige, terracota, would be a little more conventional. Ask the dealer what are the usual combos with seal grey....(get what you want, but at least be aware if it'll be harder to sell later on)

Yes, worth checking - I think I may change to black.
    Quote:

I see 'rip-off Britain' is still alive and kicking ....Porsche should be ashamed of themselves for charging ($120) for the top grey tint strip on the windshield!!!

I'm getting used to it

great spec, like all as stated - I have a simialr spec minus the Sport Design, fire extinguisher and thicker three-spoke sports steering wheel. Silver / blue. But I do like the idea of making the interior a bit special with coloured stictching on the other thread. I wish I had thought of that. I don't have a rear wiper and its not a problem

I have seen atlas with ocean blue interior, it looks very nice, and especially if you get carbon fibre trim.

Again about your colour combo:
    IMO seal grey has a hint of brown in it, what gives it a warm shade. So besides black (fits to everything ) seal grey goes very well with warm interior colours as cocoa or terrakotta. Same goes for slate.
    But the ocean blue has a cool shade and fits better to cooler exterior colours like silver or atlas grey for example.

Just my 2c.

I know colors pics are very subjective but I completely agree with Rossi.

Thanks Carlos.
    I think you simply have to see the colours you have on your list in real. Neither pics, nor the official Porsche brochure and least the Porsche "car configurator" do the real colours justice. Pink Panther, have you seen all the colours you could imagine for your car?
    For me, I never thought cocoa would look any good, until I've seen it in real. There it looks totally different from nearly all the pics I had seen so far. And before I had seen it, I never thought it would go with seal grey, but it does.

- Leather interior in Ocean Blue - I'd go with Black.
    - 407 19 inch SportDesign wheel - Saw them today. They remind me a lot of the SL55 wheels. They cover up way too much of the calipers and don't look like Porsche rims. I'm going with the Carrera S wheel. I like the look of the S wheel better and like the idea that it is more identifiable as the new wheels on a 997.
    - 635 ParkAssist (parking aid rear) - Nooo! Don't do it. Park assist belongs on SUV's not small sports cars. Or for old people. It really doesn't take much practice to aquire enough skill to park a car the size of a 911 and best of all you won't completely ruin your bumpers with ugly holes.
    - 567 Windscreen with grey top tint -Cool
    - P12 Automatically dimming interior and exterior mirrors with integrated rain sensor - Yes
    - 650 Electric slide/tilt sunroof -Yes
    - XLF Sports exhaust system - Last I checked it wasn't available yet but yes. (The sports exhaust comes with chrome tail pipes).
    - 640 Sport Chrono Package Plus - Most important option.
    - 454 Cruise control - Didn't know this was optional.
    - P01 Adaptive sports seat -YES !
    - 342 Heated seats -yes
    - 509 Fire extinguisher - either way.
    - XPA Thicker three-spoke sports steering wheel in smooth leather - Definately. Love this option. Not only is the steering wheel thicker but you get the better leather (smooth) w/ this option. (Some people with petite hands don't like it).
    - 680 BOSE Surround Sound System -yes
    - 692 CDC-4 six disc CD autochanger -yes
    - 670 Navigation module for PCM -yes
    - 666 Telephone module - No
    - 446 Wheel centre set - No. Becoming dated. Don't like gold on my rims.
    - Y1 Seal Grey Metallic - Artic Silver is richer imo.

Only other options that I'd recommend are the upscale Porsche mats with LEATHER binding. Leather sunvisors (though not as important on a coupe vs. cab)

and *PORSCHE CRESTS ON HEADRESTS* are a must especially with Adaptive sport seats.

Thanks everyone for the help - it really has been useful. Pity the sale people cant give you this much info.

Final sepc to go in tommorow is:

- Leather interior in Black
    - 407 19 inch SportDesign wheel
    - 567 Windscreen with grey top tint
    - P12 Automatically dimming interior and exterior mirrors with integrated rain sensor
    - 650 Electric slide/tilt sunroof
    - XLF Sports exhaust system
    - 640 Sport Chrono Package Plus
    - 454 Cruise control
    - P01 Adaptive sports seat
    - 342 Heated seats
    - XPA Thicker three-spoke sports steering wheel in smooth leather
    - 680 BOSE Surround Sound System
    - 692 CDC-4 six disc CD autochanger
    - 670 Navigation module for PCM
    - 666 Telephone module
    - Y1 Seal Grey Metallic

As advised I have removed

- 635 ParkAssist (parking aid rear)
    - 509 Fire extinguisher
    - 446 Wheel centre set

Again, thanks a bunch

Pink Panther,

Good luck with the new car. I think you will be a lot happier with the Seal Gray/ Black combination instead of the blue interior. It will be very sharp. The silver accents from the gauge cluster, dash board trim, door handles etc. look even richer in a black interior. Black also stays looking brand (and easier to maintain) than any other color.........As a bonus the Seal Gray/Black will definately have greater residual value.

I'm very curious to see order delivery time frames. When you know please post it. More importantly when you get the new ride put in some pics.

ps: Great decision to remove park assist.

Paul,

Just came across these pics. of crests on adaptive sport seats. The firts set are on 996's (I can tell by the seta shape) The pics. from "robbo" are on 997 sports seats

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=80803&page=&fpart=all&vc=1

I have the Seal Grey/Black Interior and it looks awesome. I also went for the coloured wheel crests and I think the car looks better with them. I did go for the rear wiper which IMHO spoils the rear of the car.

Go the whole hog

Add the rear center console in leather (option XMZ) if you can. It stops the center console from feeling "tinny" and makes the interior look finished.

Re: Go the whole hog

good choice removing the park assist. Make the nicest part of the car look soooo ugly!!!

Just my opinion based on driving in London, but the rear wiper (though not attractive and no wash function) is a must. It's fine if you can build up enough speed to throw the water off the rear screen, but this just won't happen driving around town. It can make rear visibility a real b@%*h after it has rained (particularly fine mist).

Also, I personally don't find the rear parking sensors that visible as they are very smooth on the surface i.e. not like the ones on the 996. Like before, in the UK, I find them very very useful and maybe a good idea for re-sale. Check with your dealer.

Think the rest of your spec is great - interestingly, the grey band windshield is a standard spec for UK cars even though on your invoice, you'll find it's listed as an option. Adaptive Sports Seats are awesome (don't even think of deleting them!) as is Sport Chrono, and Sport Design wheels do look great. Make sure you purchase the Porsche Tecquipment Wheel Cleaning kit. It makes cleaning these wheels a breeze. It contains no harmful acids - so it won't eat away at the wax you apply to your wheels (if indeed you bother).

Here is my Sportdesign with Atlas grey/Black leather just in case you're interested.

Today is the day to submit the final spec. Although I think its too early considering I'm in for September deivery.

Nice pic Basalt - anymore ?

Here you go..

Another

Another one..

And one blurry wheel shot..

Very cool - every time I see other colours I have to wrestle not to change my mind.

Stick with Seal. Go with your heart. Let us know when she/he arrives. I can almost guarantee it'll be delivered before you expect it.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    760420 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434219 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259928 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257076 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80715 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5311 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871121 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    806262 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM