Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Fastest way to accelerate 0-100 km/h

Ok since all of us are so interested in 0-100 km/h figures and test and numbers, i find it quite inetesting to start a thread mentioning different "ways" and techniques of accelerating from still especially.

Which was you consider the most fast and effective in accelerating from still?

1) with normal settings?
    2) with the sport settings?
    3) with de-activated PSM?

I have noticed, that in the SPORT program, the car engages the fisrt gear, a bit violent, you let the third pedal free.
    So do you think that in the Sport mode the car will be actually quicker accelerating from still?

I m trying to find the best way -fastest to accelerate-

Re: Fastest way to accelerate 0-100 km/h

With the 996 turbo (Tiptronic) there is a way to accelerating from 0 - 100 in 4.2 sec
    ,the 996 X50 (Tiptronic) in 4.0 sec
    and the cayenne turbo (tiptronic) in 5.6 sec
    using my stopwatch !!!
    about the 996 turbo and the x50 you can do that by
    1-switch off the PSM
    2-but the gear on the 2ed gear
    3-hold the break as hard as you can
    4-accelerate while braking (dont worry it wont move because of the 4 brakes)
    5-but the gear on the 1st when the rpm is about 3 and relese the brake in the same time
    and for the cayenne turbo
    do the same but keep the gear in the 1st from the beggining

excuse me you got me confused!

first i am talking about manual shift.
    Secondly,

2-but the gear on the 2ed gear? what do you mean?
    3-hold the brake as hard as you can?
    4-accelerate while braking?

Sorry for my bad english, and I'm talking about the tiptronic
    2-from standstill keep the gear on the 2ed!
    3&4-push the brake with your left foot and accelerate with your right foot in the same time (for 2-3 sec I think)
    but if your talking about the manual then this will be no use for you

OH I GOT IT NOW, i started to get so cofused that i read your post 10 times Anyway i assume you drive a tiptronic but the case here is manual shift thanx for the input though

You will never reach the times set by the magazines unless you are a sadist. I did my work experience with some road test magazines years ago and the way they launch a car is brutal.

On the road and if it is your car the best way is to use full power once the clutch is engaged and not before. Otherwise you will be looking at some expensive clutch bills.

One thing I have noticed is axle tramp is violent on these cars and I can never remember how to avoid that other than backing off the power or maybe increasing?

Quote:
    jjr1 said:
    You will never reach the times set by the magazines unless you are a sadist. I did my work experience with some road test magazines years ago and the way they launch a car is brutal.

On the road and if it is your car the best way is to use full power once the clutch is engaged and not before. Otherwise you will be looking at some expensive clutch bills.

One thing I have noticed is axle tramp is violent on these cars and I can never remember how to avoid that other than backing off the power or maybe increasing?

JJR1 is absolutely right,
    But if you really wanna try Dillinger,
    1- Drop the clutch
    2- engage first
    3- Accelerate
    4- at about 3,000 rpm, release the clutch and off you go!

Bear in mind this is also the fastest way to burn your clutch.
    Once you've done that about 10 times, you go and get your clutch replaced.

I do the same as JJR1, when I want to accelerate in first gear (which I almost never do, but some people enjoy doing this at red traffic lights) I wait that the clutch is fully disengaged, which means that by then, I'm probably doing about 20,30 kmh already anyway...

NO GUYS the clutch is not so sensitive okey you hurt it through this procedure but its not so sensitive

Quote:
    Dilinger said:
    NO GUYS the clutch is not so sensitive okey you hurt it through this procedure but its not so sensitive

It will wear much faster Dillinger trust me.
    Of course I was exagerating when I said clutch change after 10 times, but you get my point.
    It's like any frictionnal mechanical parts really.

To a lesser extend, driver who don't release the clutch early enough when engaging first have to change them much earlier than more careful drivers.

I only know the french term, maybe another Rennteamer can help me translate.
    In french, we say: Patiner.

Put it this way, it's better to stall in first rather than "patiner".

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Quote:
    Dilinger said:

I only know the french term, maybe another Rennteamer can help me translate.
    In french, we say: Patiner.

I meant that I don't know the english term of course! sorry.

'Slipping' the clutch is what you are reffering to Fanch

the quickest way to an OPC and another clutch bill

Ask Walter Rorhl to do it

0 - 60 mph or 0 - 100km/h seem such an irrelevance. Real world driving needs fast in gear times between 30 - 50 and 50 - 70, when passing another car on a two lane highway.

"Patiner" is most likely "To polish" or "To glaze" meaning to put a shiny surface on something.

Re: Ask Walter Rorhl to do it

Quote:
    Le Chef said:
    0 - 60 mph or 0 - 100km/h seem such an irrelevance. Real world driving needs fast in gear times between 30 - 50 and 50 - 70, when passing another car on a two lane highway.

"Patiner" is most likely "To polish" or "To glaze" meaning to put a shiny surface on something.

I agree with you 100% Le Chef!
    But although I never do 0 to 100 kmh type acceleration, it's a good benchmark data to have on paper, but not as important than in gear performances.

About the french word "patiner", yes you're right, that's what it means but not in the car context, it has several meaning, we also use it to say ice skating for example.
    I think JJR1 is right, in english, you say "slipping" but not sure.

Re: Ask Walter Rorhl to do it

I am right

Quote:
    Dilinger said:
    I m trying to find the best way -fastest to accelerate-

Buy a 997TT when it comes out

Okay, very interesting so far.

I wonder then, regarding respect for the clutch and pressure plate, what is the proper way to accelerate fast?

We all know that from a standstill at a neighborhood stop sign you really should not allow any appreciable clutch slippage (yeah yeah, there has to be _some_ slippage...).

IOW, you get that clutch fully engaged and then you give the car gas. If you do this fast you can really go fast fast. If you're a chick you over rev the engine and let the clutch act as a brake shoe and heat up; thus accererating its wear.

Now when you're drag racing (just for fun) how are you supposed to get the best times WITHOUT major clutch slippage?

IOW, shouldn't the best acceleration times advertised for the car be those where the clutch slippage is as minimal and recommended as that used in a residenatal stop sign?

Seems like a joke then, 0-60 in 4.5 seconds without breaking the tire grip BUT extreme wear to the clutch.

Would be nice if clutches could be replaced as easily as brake pads and rotors.

You can accelerate the fastest if you can get your tyres to slip at 5% or thearabouts. How you do it is another question

okey, when you are racing with another car isn't the beginning as important as the rest?
    I know that in-gear acceleration is more important , but if you loose time and meters in the beginning you give your opponent a competitive advantage.
    Some will tell me now that these things are not appropriate for a Porsche, but -i say from the opposite side- how can you be so detailed about 'ring times and lap records and 0. seconds and ignore such a thing as the beginning of acceleration. I mean someone said before,here, that companies and magazines give us times for 0-60 or 0-62. Why do they give us these figures and then tell us that if we try to reach such high levels of 0-60 we will destroy our clutch and tires. They should of give us more realistic figures then.

In your normal day to day driving do you make your dead stop starts from second? My 997S is at the dealership waiting to be picked up (still some snow on the ground so am picking up April 1st).

My previous Pcar was 964, curious as to how much the day to day driving experience will be different in the 3.8 six speed.

Quote:
    jjr1 said:
    ...One thing I have noticed is axle tramp is violent on these cars and I can never remember how to avoid that other than backing off the power or maybe increasing?

This is normal on the 996 and 997 models. It should be due to the engine mounts which are rather soft for comfort reasons but cause the axle to tramp.

Basically you try to get the car off the line at peak torque. That's why you have to launch high-revving cars at higher rpms while you can launch the Viper with a bit more than idle!
    Best thing would be to get the clutch to adapt vehicle and wheel speed to engine speed - since this causes heavy wearout most people just drop the clutch at the above mentioned RPMs.
    Car&Driver (or was it R&T) give instructions on their online reports' data sheets (down at the bottom) for each car tested.

0-60 mph are more or less a number and traction and weight play the important role here - the picture looks much different in 0-200 or 300 kph acceleration runs...

In the end, it's just numbers. Or is anybody doing traffic-light racing...?

me ferdie

Quote:
    Dilinger said:
    me ferdie

Have fun...

Quote:
    tpfannes said:
    In your normal day to day driving do you make your dead stop starts from second?

A lot of times, I get lazy and start off on second. I don't know if I'm doing any harm.

Thats not good for your clutch. I can't understand how anyone can be so lazy as to not move a lever 2 inches forward?

It's not just two inches. Let's not exaggerate here.

whats that to do guys with fast acceleration? i mean fast aceleration intentionally not because of boredom

frankly i quite sure that with some experience the PSM off will provide some advantage at the traffic racing

I haven't done this in years, but it's really cool when it works. Heal & toe a power-brake in first, then let off the brake and gas, then bang the car into second, while getting back on the gas. If you do it right, the car will jump and spin the tires only a few hundred rpms higher than if it were completely hooked up. Don't try this, unless you have the money to replace the shattered clutch or blown rear, if you do it wrong. Even if you do it right, this is more brutal than dumping the clutch at any rpm in first or second.

In an automatic, a good low rpm (2000 - 3000 rpm's) power-brake should be the best. Get off the brakes when the wheels start to spin, and feather the gas, while keeping rpm's as close as you can to hook-up.

jb

Quote:
    jboyko said:
    I haven't done this in years, but it's really cool when it works. Heal & toe a power-brake in first, then let off the brake and gas, then bang the car into second, while getting back on the gas. If you do it right, the car will jump and spin the tires only a few hundred rpms higher than if it were completely hooked up. Don't try this, unless you have the money to replace the shattered clutch or blown rear, if you do it wrong. Even if you do it right, this is more brutal than dumping the clutch at any rpm in first or second.

In an automatic, a good low rpm (2000 - 3000 rpm's) power-brake should be the best. Get off the brakes when the wheels start to spin, and feather the gas, while keeping rpm's as close as you can to hook-up.

jb

You do that in a manual Carrera? I would recommend this ONLY in cars with front engine and driven rearwheels with low load on the rear axle.

It is a much lower stress in automatic-equipped cars since the torque converter enables the wheels to brake lose much easier, besides that the only wear you put on the car is on the drivetrain BEHIND clutch and gearbox!

Anyways, to me it is doubtful if those procedures help anyone - if I'd be into dragracing I would get me an appropriate car...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690571 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409821 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256056 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235290 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65721 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858505 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774766 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM