Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: F1 Season

Kind of like the past soccer world cup at korea, huh?!

Coulthard put in a good peformance. JPM really messed up with his mistake that cost the podium spot. It was funny to see MS on the bad end of a collision for once.

Seems like there could be some abuse of the engine change rule. For example, Schumi knowing he would not finish in the points, so he pulled into the garage to so he could change his engine for the next race.

What is to stop guys who cannot finish in the points from pulling in early to save/change their engines?

Quote:
    so he could change his engine for the next race.

Don't think they are allowed to change the engine here without incurring the penalty of 10 positions down in the starting grid of the next race in Sepang. However, they are certainly preserving it that way.

Gregor

I support Rubens Barrichello all the way. He's my favourite driver. But he's also been quite unlucky throughout his career. I think he's an excellent driver with a very nice personality unlike King Michael. I think he drove really well to finish second with last year's modified car.

Renault look like they will be strong all year. I think Fernando Alonso will feel more pressure as the season goes on if Giancarlo Fisichella keeps outperforming him regularly. It's a great shame Jarno Trulli fell out with boss Flavio Briatore last year. I think Jarno was a better driver (especially in 1 lap qualification) but Fernando has a cosy relationship with his boss which helped him cement his place in the team.

If Kimi Raikkonen and Juan Pablo Montoya iron out the mistakes, they'll do well too - this year they really do have the car to do the job well. Raikonnen made a number of uncharacteristic errors on Sunday. He must be feeling the pressure of JPM who is quick but can be a bit wild.

The big unknown is the new 2005 Ferrari. I have a sneaky feeling we'll see it from the 3rd race rather than from the 5th race as announced previously. It's an unusual situation because Rubens has to use the same engine in the 2nd GP whereas Michael retired so he will get a new engine. Because the same engine must be used for 2 races, you could see that Rubens has the new car in either the 3rd or 5th GP whereas Michael gets it in the 4th GP. That will be interesting.

During the post race press conference, Rubens hinted that he expects it to give them "even more pleasure". He doesn't usually give such clues away but when I heard it, it sent a shiver down my spine! I think it might be the point when Ferrari again rise head and shoulders above the competition who have only closed the gap to their 2004 car. After all, Ross Braun announced in August 2004 that they had already stopped developing the 2004 car further and that they had already started developing the 2005 car. That's a frightening thought.

The big shock for me was how badly the BAR Honda's performed after their impressive year last year. I didn't expect them to fall away so badly. I don't think Jacques Villeneuve acquitted himself well either - makes you wonder if he won the 1997 Championship purely because of his superior Williams-Renault car.

I'm sure David Coulthard was happy to finish ahead of both McLarens having been dropped by them at the end of last season. Revenge is a dish best served cold.

I think this could be the year that Mark Webber's weaknesses will finally be exposed. He's a good driver but IMHO not as good as people make him out to be.

Thank goodness Formula 1 is back. The winter can get a bit dull without it!

I think its good that ALonso gets preasured from Fisico, but so far he has only outperformed him in this race solely because Fisico had qualifying in the dry and started ahead of the pack while Alonso was stuck behind Villebeuve, its if they were in two different races. In the pre-season Alonso has been faster than Fisico. I think Trulli pressured him more last year because Trulli was a better one-lap qualifier than Alonso and always started ahead of him in the grid, though during the actual race Alonso would have a faster pace and be faster especially towards the end of the race.

I personally can't wait for MotoGP! some real racing with overtaking, risks, incredible tanlents, and exitement till the last lap

Correction of my previous post

Sorry Justin,

I was mistaking. You are correct in that an engine may be changed without penalty if the respective driver did not finish the race.

Gregor

Quote:
    Gregor said:
    Quote:
    so he could change his engine for the next race.

Don't think they are allowed to change the engine here without incurring the penalty of 10 positions down in the starting grid of the next race in Sepang. However, they are certainly preserving it that way.

There is no real benefit to change the engine although they've a "new" engine on the 2nd race, they've a "old" engine on the 3rd race vs others using the "new" engine. Hum... how about the last race?

I completely agree...Glad to see F1 is back.

Cheers!
    Ray

Hopefully it wont rain during qualifying next race. That kinda messed everthing up. Was expecting to see HOndas closer to the front this year, I guess next race will show more about their pace.

Quote:
    Justin said:
    Seems like there could be some abuse of the engine change rule. For example, Schumi knowing he would not finish in the points, so he pulled into the garage to so he could change his engine for the next race.

"Sportsmanship" and "Schumi".
    Two words that absolutely do not work together IMO.
    They guy would sell his mother or kill his brother to gain an extra point.
    And if there are any loopholes in the F1 regulations, you can be sure that Schumi is the first to find and exploit them. Disgusting.
    But then again, F1 is so driven by money, that some driver will do (and probably have to do) anything to finish first.
    Sad IMO.

At least it made my day to see the arrogant SOB fubar his quali and drop out of the race. Hope he continues in that style

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    Quote:
    Justin said:

At least it made my day to see the arrogant SOB fubar his quali and drop out of the race. Hope he continues in that style

Waoh, it sounds like YOU are the one with real sportsmanship values Dr!

Why are you guys talking about 'sportsmanship' in connection with F1? IMHO, F1 has hardly anything to do with sports. This is BIG entertainment business (circus), nothing else! Granted, each one of the drivers is certainly VERY fit physically, but that doesn't make a sport out of what they're doing.

Mind you, I still absolutely love the show they're putting on every other weekend and I think I have not missed a race on TV for umpteen years now. I consider myself a die-hard fan, but it is what it is. Certainly not sport IMO.

Just my 2cts.

Gregor

Do I detect a little pro-Spanish bias here ? Only joking

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    Quote:
    Justin said:

Waoh, it sounds like YOU are the one with real sportsmanship values Dr!

Gregor is right. It's primarily a business, not a sport, but that doesn't mean you cant have integrity, respect for others, conscience and sportsmanship among the drivers.
    Schumi possesses none of these qualities, and that's one of the reasons why he is so effective. He can be thankful that most other drivers don't drive the way he does or we would have several dead F1- drivers each season.

Youre right, Fanch. I have no sportsmanship values when it comes to Schumi.
    He's the embodiment of the things I really don't like.

I like having him in F1, though.
    F1 without him would be like Star Wars without Darth Vader or "Dallas" without J.R.

Quote:
    Gregor said:
    Why are you guys talking about 'sportsmanship' in connection with F1? IMHO, F1 has hardly anything to do with sports. This is BIG entertainment business (circus), nothing else!

Couldn't agree with you more Gregor.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Do I detect a little pro-Spanish bias here ? Only joking

Who, meeee?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691145 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410231 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256266 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235425 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65757 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4747 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858865 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775177 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM