Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Hard Choices

Chaps and Chapesses,
    shortly a few hard decisions will have to be made.....I would appreciate some guidance.

My budget involves a 2.7 to approx Pounds37.5K and I have two very different specs for your perusal. Unfortunatley, I can't spec EVERYTHING I would like....still some day. But here goes

987 2.7
    A Metallic colour (Basalt, Atlas or Seal, prob won't decide till last day pos)
    Black leather sport seats (essential)
    Auto climate
    Heated seats (essential)
    19'' Carrera S
    PASM
    3 SPoke sports wheel
    Pounds37, 564

OR

Swap PASM for BOSE with wind delfector, as both are exactly the same price

or a very different spec altogether.

987 2.7
    Metallic colour (see above)
    Black leather sports seats
    Climate control
    Heated seats
    18'' Box S wheels
    Bi-Xenon
    Park assist
    Three spoke Sports wheel
    BOSE with wind deflector

all that for 'just' Pounds37,500.

So do I go for looks (19''s) with PASM (cos I thik you need it with the 19''s) but no decent stereo, or do I go for the luxury option with 18''s, park, bose, xenons....or those folks who have taken delivery with 19''s without PASM, is the ride OK??

Decisions, decisions.

I like the 19'' Carrera wheel, but also quite like the BoX S 18''. I am concerned PASM is essential with the bigger wheel, but again, I really like my music and think BOSE can't be beaten. Also quite like the idea of Xenons and Park assist.

Would really appreciate thoughts

Cheers guys,

JZ

Re: Hard Choices

I can understand where you are coming from.

I've just ordered a 987 2.7 car and these were the options I got...
    Seal Grey - very, very nice colour
    Heated seats - essential in the UK
    18" wheels with centre badges - best wheels IMO for the 2.7 as not too much grip and fill the arches just enough
    Auto Air Con - can get hot in a convertible
    Stone Grey Leather - just to be different and brighten things up a little.
    Wind deflector
    Dont forget carpet mats!

PASM would be nice but not sure if its only good for track times.

BOSE - one thing I didnt get but considered. Although I'm about to get an aftermarket system fitted for the same price as the BOSE which will kick its ass!! Focal Speakers, big amp and the new I-pod optical Ice-Link!! Got a Harmon Kardon digi system in the Mini Cooper S and wasnt impressed by it.

3 Spoke wheel looks good but wouldnt go for Park Assist unless you have to park in tight spaces a lot.

Xennon is good if you drice in the dark out-of-town a lot.

Just my opinions!

Whatever wheel option PASM would get my vote every time. Closer call with 18" wheels, but would probably still have it in preference to Bose sound. I am very impressed with PASM and to me it is well worth the money. The more I drive my car the more I realise just how brilliant the system is. The best available suspension has to be a higher priority in a sports car than a good sound system. Whilst the Bose sound is brilliant it doesn't sound as nice as that flat 6 engine, but then on a long run a good sound system is nice and relaxing. May be I will use the Bose more when (and if) the novelty wears off.
    Xenons a MUST HAVE if you do a lot of night driving. Try the sports seats, while they look nice and are really comfortable if you fit them, you will find them tight at the shoulders if you are anything more than medium build.
    Personally I would rather go for a basic "s" than a loaded 2.7 for the same money.

Hi JZ!

I tested a 987 "S" i few days ago, while my 996 C4 had a clutch transplant, and came away very impressed!
    When I can't fit my kids in the back of the Carrera anymore I'll consider a Boxter.
    Obviously the Boxter demo i tried was loaded with every option in the book, but if I would prioritize...
    My economic choice would be:

6 speed
    solid color (black)
    leather sport seats
    Auto climate
    Heated seats
    3 Spoke sports wheel
    Xenons (funktion and resale value!)

last but not least:
    PASM, PASM & PASM! (comfort+response+variable PSM settings)
    18"

You can always fit a good stereo at a later stage, but without PASM you would be heading down a one-way street. It has to be tried to believed.

I agree with dreamcar - more and more I find myself switching the BOSE off completely and going with just the exhaust tone for entertainment.

Also, IMHO, heated seats = sweaty arse. Not essential, although your mother might like them.

I have 19s and have covered 600 miles of mixed driving since Tuesday last week.

You do not "need" PASM. The ride is firm but far more refined than my previous TT.

PASM is for people who have the budget not mere mortals like us! and for wimps who can't take a few bumps in everyday driving!!

Bose and 19s - Sound and Looks!! Although I orginally specced a 2.7 and Pounds1700 for 2 extra inches is steep

However I have to be honest, I keep turning my stereo (BOSE) off to listen to the engine!!

In my opinion use your budget for a bog-standard S - if you seriously enjoy your driving. I would have done just that in your position.

The lowest depreciation as no options!!!

I agree (although I've got PASM - same money as Bose). I'd rather have a standard "S" than a 2.7 with any number of gizmo's.

Thanks guys, some interesting opinions there. I think I am stretching myself to 37.5k, so I really can't go any higher to a basic S. Next time maybe, but I want a 2.7 (which is quick enough for me at the moment) with the options I have always wanted...a very personal choice, rather than an S with nought.

I will probabley go with the Bose and 18''s as I don't rate PASM for the money on the test drives I have done so far. I really like the standard suspension and I think it is a well pitched and well sorted set up. Whether I can live with 19's on standard suspension is doubtful.

I used to enjoy playing with specs...now it's just getting frustrating!!

One thing is important, I don't want to spend all the budget making the 2.7 look like the S. It isn't, so will spend my money focussing on the interior making the driving experience that much more tactile.

Balck leather Sports seats (I fit them nicely)
    Sports steering wheel
    Climate
    Xenons
    BOSE.

Tha'll do nicely.

Cheers

JZ

Sounds like a very good plan to me. Hard choices, agreed, but well called.

I like the second config much better.....

love Atlas Grey
    Xenons.....great
    Bose.......great
    18"s are just fine, you don't "need" the 19"s

PASM? The way I look at it a Porsche should have the best available suspension standard.....that's why you pay "Porsche" type of money in the first place. PASM is nice, but just another way Porsche can get more money from you. More weight, more stuff to go wrong. Nice, yes.....needed, no.

Quote:
    MikeN said:
    I like the second config much better.....

love Atlas Grey
    Xenons.....great
    Bose.......great
    18"s are just fine, you don't "need" the 19"s

PASM? The way I look at it a Porsche should have the best available suspension standard.....that's why you pay "Porsche" type of money in the first place. PASM is nice, but just another way Porsche can get more money from you. More weight, more stuff to go wrong. Nice, yes.....needed, no.

I agree. PASM, 19" wheels, Bose sound, full leather, etc etc are not essential. Safety items like Xenon lights ARE essential.If you do a lot of night driving then the autodim mirrors are also well worth considering. Xenon lights in particular should be standard in a performance car like a Boxster. All the rest are just a question of your own individual priorities and preferences. Quite honestly albeit with only 400 miles under my belt, I could quite happily do without the Bose sound system. Nice yes "Surround" it isn't. In my own situation I will probably only spend this amount of money on a car once, which is why I ticked so many boxes. Even in bog-standard trim it's a wonderful car.

Agree about the Bose - it's good, but not a necessity. The Xenons are very impressive - 2nd only to the VW Lupo I used to own (they were so powerful you could see the rabbits in their warrens!), but I live in the sticks where it's very dark - if you don't do much country driving at night I've heard good things about the normal lights - and I got on fine with them on my last car.

Now I'm just pining..it's like being a waiter again. My car is sat in the UK whilst I'm sat in some tedious meetings in the US. Roll on Sat....

auto climate is not necessary
    park assist supposed to look nasty/ not necessary
    xenons are NICE...necessary in my book

rims..if you're thinking of the 18's, why not just go with the standard 17s and buy a set of 18's off of someone with a Boxster S trading them for aftermarket rims [that's what I would do if I wanted those rims...]

get the sports wheel if you like them...pretty cheap option

heated seats a must. deflector a must.

Bose..not sure, it's what I have, but did not test out the standard system. The system actually sounds better with the top down...

good luck

Par Assit looks like this....how can you give an opinion when you obviously haven't seen it?

Xenons aren't "necessary" if the were they'd be standard!!!
    Bose sounds great but I turn mine down or off at the moment i'm that will change after the honeymoon period

Quote:
    newboxster said:
    Par Assit looks like this....how can you give an opinion when you obviously haven't seen it?

Bose sounds great but I turn mine down or off at the moment i'm that will change after the honeymoon period

Sorry, but I am afraid anything that significantly improves visibility and therefore safety, is essential. Xenons SHOULD be standard on a 167mph sports car. When I first drove the 987 I realised that park-assist would be very useful, but by then my car was already in production and I was unable to alter my spec.

I've seen the photo of a 987 with park assist as well as a 986 with park assist.

It looked horrible for 986, better for 987 but still visible.

I guess it depends where you reside, not necessary for the states.

Once you get used to Xenons, there's no turning back....
    Both of my previous cars had Xenons.

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    newboxster said:

Sorry, but I am afraid anything that significantly improves visibility and therefore safety, is essential. Xenons SHOULD be standard on a 167mph sports car. When I first drove the 987 I realised that park-assist would be very useful, but by then my car was already in production and I was unable to alter my spec.

dreamcar.....are you going to be doing 167mph in the dark????

Quote:
    newboxster said:
    dreamcar.....are you going to be doing 167mph in the dark????

Not until I've got my Origin B2 up and running!
    Went up my secret twisty road in the New Forest this afternoon. Two miles of uphill challenging quiet road. Car passed with flying colours, even more amazing when I can use more than 4,250 rpm. Roof down, heater up. Bliss!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688803 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408812 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255576 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234826 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65426 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4638 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857668 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773557 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM