Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Latest AutoWeek Blurb....

From the March 7 issue:

The initial Cayman model will feature a newly developed 3.4-liter, 295-hp version of Porsche's four-valve-per-cylinder flat six. A range-topping 305-hp Cayman S model will follow, positioned halfway between the 3.2-liter, 280-hp Boxster S and the 3.6-liter, 325-hp 911 Carrera. Porsche will also launch a cheaper 3.2-liter Cayman model.

Also under development, though not lkely to see showrooms until 2006 at the earliest, is a lightweight Cayman Club Sport. Inspired by the much loved 968 Club Sport, it is not likely to be more powerful than the Cayman S, but a series of weight-saving measures, including special body panels and a stripped-out interior (no air conditioning, audio system or sound deadening), will improve its power-to-weight ratio and extend performance even further."

No mention of pricing for any model. Very interesting.....don't know if any of it is true, but I like these choices better than the previous versions!

Re: Latest AutoWeek Blurb....

Quote:
    MikeN said:
    From the March 7 issue:

The initial Cayman model will feature a newly developed 3.4-liter, 295-hp version of Porsche's four-valve-per-cylinder flat six. A range-topping 305-hp Cayman S model will follow, positioned halfway between the 3.2-liter, 280-hp Boxster S and the 3.6-liter, 325-hp 911 Carrera. Porsche will also launch a cheaper 3.2-liter Cayman model.

Also under development, though not lkely to see showrooms until 2006 at the earliest, is a lightweight Cayman Club Sport. Inspired by the much loved 968 Club Sport, it is not likely to be more powerful than the Cayman S, but a series of weight-saving measures, including special body panels and a stripped-out interior (no air conditioning, audio system or sound deadening), will improve its power-to-weight ratio and extend performance even further."

I read that too, but where did they come up with the "initial" Cayman model not being the S???? It's in the Porsche press release!

Porsche seems to be following the same model as the Cayenne. Intro the middle model first.

There will definitely be a base model, and I sure hope for the Club Sport.

10 HP? thats the gain for the top dog? ha! just give it the carrera S motor and thats that.

Quote:
    Mellow Yellow said:
    Quote:
    MikeN said:
    From the March 7 issue:

I read that too, but where did they come up with the "initial" Cayman model not being the S???? It's in the Porsche press release!

Porsche seems to be following the same model as the Cayenne. Intro the middle model first.

Ya, thought it was a little strange also......so I don't know how much water the story holds......but they sure did make it sound like it was definite.

They definitely have the story wrong. Either the S will have 295 or 305hp (probably 295), but there will not be two models separated by 10hp. The Cayman with a 3.2L (same as Boxster S) sounds right. The S will be the first model out of the gates...

A Cayman S 295HP now and a Cayman 260Hp later on sounds about right.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    A Cayman S 295HP now and a Cayman 260Hp later on sounds about right.

This is probably what I think will happen, but I'd like to see both at the same time and where will the 260HP come from?....a 2.7L or 3.2L? If they put a 2.7L in it they will have to bring the price pretty low IMO. I'd really like to see the base be a 3.2L.....

how can a club sport version have the carrera type wet sump engine? wont it need a gt3 type dry sump lube unit?

Quote:
    MikeN said:
    From the March 7 issue:

No mention of pricing for any model. Very interesting.....don't know if any of it is true, but I like these choices better than the previous versions!

You faied to mention that according to the Autoweek article sources within Porsche claim it is faster around the "Ring" compared to the 997. This is as a result of the midengine configuration and other areodynamic factors.

The lowly 997 will now have the inenviable position of costing more than its baby sibling AND being slower. Those who are waiting for their 997 may want to reconsider.

Quote:
    Mellow Yellow said:
    Quote:
    MikeN said:
    From the March 7 issue:

They definitely misspoke in that part of the article. The 295hp motor is for the S. I don't have it in front of me but if memory serves I think they later mentioned that the Club Sport would have 305 hp.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    You faied to mention that according to the Autoweek article sources within Porsche claim it is faster around the "Ring" compared to the 997. This is as a result of the midengine configuration and other areodynamic factors.

Wrong. If it is faster in the ring (which I doubt, maybe equivalent, lets be realistic) the mid-engine configuration difference vs the 911 accounts to nothing and aerodimanic differences are null (similar drag and no aerokit). The reason would be mainly suspension differences since the base 997 has the "cadillac" standard suspensions, not even the PASM. A big noticeable difference at the track. Just the PASM on normal to the -20mm account to as much as 6 seconds! on the 997S on the ring, imagine the standard 997 suspensions to whatever sport suspensions the Cayman S is going to get. Then, secondarily, is the effect of the slightly lighter weight, coupled with a similar power to weight. That would be the Cayman's advantage to close the gap on the base 997 at the ring.
    I don't think anyone who is seriously looking at ring times is going to buy the base 997 (specially with stock suspensions) anyway, the reason to buy a base 997 is elsewere like 911 character, rear seats, etc. Or like the cab version may be slower and cost more but it has its advantages. Cayman S and 997C2 is kind of like comparing the 996TT and the 996GT3, one does not compete with the other though performance on paper is similar.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

Wrong. If it is faster in the ring (which I doubt, maybe equivalent, lets be realistic) the mid-engine configuration difference vs the 911 accounts to nothing and aerodimanic differences are null (similar drag and no aerokit). The reason would be mainly suspension differences since the base 997 has the "cadillac" standard suspensions, not even the PASM. A big noticeable difference at the track. Just the PASM on normal to the -20mm account to as much as 6 seconds! on the 997S on the ring, imagine the standard 997 suspensions to whatever sport suspensions the Cayman S is going to get. Then, secondarily, is the effect of the slightly lighter weight, coupled with a similar power to weight. That would be the Cayman's advantage to close the gap on the base 997 at the ring.
    I don't think anyone who is seriously looking at ring times is going to buy the base 997 (specially with stock suspensions) anyway, the reason to buy a base 997 is elsewere like 911 character, rear seats, etc. Or like the cab version may be slower and cost more but it has its advantages. Cayman S and 997C2 is kind of like comparing the 996TT and the 996GT3, one does not compete with the other though performance on paper is similar.

Carlos, read the article. Apparent W. Roehl has been advising Porsche on the car and it ran faster around the ring because of the midengine setup...better balance and handling. If the S is given close to 320 hp it will shunk the Carrera S as well.

Also, the Cayman will have plenty of luggage space front and back as well as space behind the driver and passsenger seats. I suspect if the car turns out to be a marketing success, the 911 swan song will be near. We know what Porsche engineers can do with a midengine setup. The performance and styling opportunites would be tremendous. Hell, I might even consider buying Porsche again.

Quote:
    bostonmini said:
    how can a club sport version have the carrera type wet sump engine? wont it need a gt3 type dry sump lube unit?

It certainly won't be the track car that the GT3 is, but it is being modeled after the 968CS which was also wet sump. Hopefully, they will at a minimum give it a deeper and baffled oil pan to prevent oil starvation (maybe even dual oil scavenge pumps or accusump). I've given up wishing for the dry sump

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Carlos, read the article. Apparent W. Roehl has been advising Porsche on the car and it ran faster around the ring because of the midengine setup...better balance and handling. If the S is given close to 320 hp it will shunk the Carrera S as well.

Also, the Cayman will have plenty of luggage space front and back as well as space behind the driver and passsenger seats. I suspect if the car turns out to be a marketing success, the 911 swan song will be near. We know what Porsche engineers can do with a midengine setup. The performance and styling opportunites would be tremendous. Hell, I might even consider buying Porsche again.

Sorry to break it to you but its BS. The kind we see routinely in the magazines when they start to talk about I heard this and that. Aslo when you can fit two adults or kids into the trunk of the Cayman we will talk about versatility. But you can continue to try to bend things to fit your own wishes, and preach the doomsday "end is near" prophecies on the 911 like always (I'm still waiting to see how your "997 will be a sales failure" turn out at the end of the year, just like the "Cayenne will be a flop for Porsche" years ago). But the continued success of the 911 will always be there to make you come to grip with the cold truth ... there will not be a Porsche for you in a long time, which means there will still be one for me

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

Sorry to break it to you but its BS. The kind we see routinely in the magazines when they start to talk about I heard this and that. Aslo when you can fit two adults or kids into the trunk of the Cayman we will talk about versatility. But you can continue to try to bend things to fit your own wishes, and preach the doomsday "end is near" prophecies on the 911 like always (I'm still waiting to see how your "997 will be a sales failure" turn out at the end of the year, just like the "Cayenne will be a flop for Porsche" years ago). But the continued success of the 911 will always be there to make you come to grip with the cold truth ... there will not be a Porsche for you in a long time, which means there will still be one for me

I agree with Carlos. The 911 is more adult oriented, with a target demographic of 35 yrs. and up. The Cayman is more of a "boy racer." I can see how a potential M3 or Rs4 buyer looking at the Cayman as their first Porsche. It might hurt 911 sales during its first year due to the inevitable initial curiosity. But, over the long run I believe this is a great strategy for Porsche to expand production to 100,000 units by '08.

Carlos I never indicated the Cayenne would be a failure INITIALLY. Though they are selling now, just wait. Very few Cayenne owners that I know will buy another. It really is overpriced. I did have a problem with the Cayenne TT. I thought it would be a dangerous machine. Little did I realize that Porsche had built in a hesitation to control the power of the truck.

The 997 sales are no where near as brisk as the 996 when it was first introduced. If they are unable to generate better sales with the 997 first year the subseqent years look bleak. Factor in the 997 TT, in a couple of years and what you have is a dismal sale cycle for the 997 and 997S.

BTW Porsche is well aware of this. Thus the need for the Cayenne, Cayman and sedan.

Vtrader, just who do you think is buying Porsche today? Rich fat cats or younger reasonably affluent rice racer driver's? I will give you one guess.

Nick, Nick, post the sales figures of the 996 in its first year if you please and post which sales figures of the 997 you are using to compare with the 997 also FYI the Turbo also came out a couple years after in the 996, sure didn't hurt the 996carrera did it? yet it will be a "factor" in the 997? I don'tb think so.

Quote:
    nberry said:

Vtrader, just who do you think is buying Porsche today? Rich fat cats or younger reasonably affluent rice racer driver's? I will give you one guess.

Ok. I go with "rich fat cats" at least where I live (bay area) 9 out 10 911's I see have a middle age driver 40-60 yrs. Don't think they'll be interested in the Cayman.

Ps. I'm not Vtrader that's another member.

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

Ok. I go with "rich fat cats" at least where I live (bay area) 9 out 10 911's I see have a middle age driver 40-60 yrs. Don't think they'll be interested in the Cayman.

Ps. I'm not Vtrader that's another member.

Same in my area, may even be more in the 50-65 age range.....doctors, lawers,......plenty of 996 Cabs, etc.
    I don't see the Cayman digging into 911 sales that much....maybe 10-15% tops.....if that. It just won't be
    "their" type of car. Now it may dig into Boxster sales a litte more. I have heard a lot of Boxster owners say they would have gone with a coupe in the first place if given a choice.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    The lowly 997 will now have the inenviable position of costing more than its baby sibling AND being slower. Those who are waiting for their 997 may want to reconsider.

I guess this situation parallels Ferrari with the F430 being much faster and much less expensive than the LOWLY 612 and 575. Matter of fact, at 3.5s 0-60, it's within spitting distance of the limited production, much more expensive Enzo.

In my case the Cayman will hurt the Boxster sales while losing total sales for Porsche as I will back off the probable Boxster order I was planning on placing unless it has equivalert power to the Cayman. I just dont want a Porsche that is now third level after the Cayman, have no interest in a coupe, and can no longer afford a 911 S cab. Oh well - back to looking for the perfect 914-6 conversion.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    ...The 997 sales are no where near as brisk as the 996 when it was first introduced. ...

If the 996 sales were more brisk it could be from the fact that the difference from the 996 to 993 was a significant change and the change from the 997 to 996 was more evolutionary.

The 996 had the first water cooled engine for a 911. The 996 also had the first major interior change since the 911 was first introduced 35 years earlier. Two major points which could account for the brisk initial sales.

Quote:
    RickJK said:
    In my case the Cayman will hurt the Boxster sales while losing total sales for Porsche as I will back off the probable Boxster order I was planning on placing unless it has equivalert power to the Cayman. I just dont want a Porsche that is now third level after the Cayman, have no interest in a coupe, and can no longer afford a 911 S cab. Oh well - back to looking for the perfect 914-6 conversion.

I can feel your pain.....but in a different way. For about 10 years I've wanted a coupe priced around the Boxster/S. When they finally decide to build one they bend you over on the price. I really have no use for a roadster, so if the Cayman isn't decently priced, I will again be looking elsewhere.....only this time I probably will never look back.

I really think Porsche could care less about your Boxster order, just as they could care less if I go through with my Cayman order.....they will simply make it up somewhere else and won't be looking back either. Sad but true.

Mike - the price thing is really goofy - the different configurations of basically the same engine have to cost about $100.00 more or less to make as the assembly and quality of the parts is equivalent. I really only have to have a Porsche of some description to allow me to run PCA events in the area I am moving to, so if the Boxster doesn't pan out and the perfect 914-6 doesn't materialize, I may just get a stock 914 and run a new BMW M Roadster at track events, if it comes out with the 8 as is now being touted. Just the roadster however, no rumors of a coupe.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    The 997 sales are no where near as brisk as the 996 when it was first introduced. If they are unable to generate better sales with the 997 first year the subseqent years look bleak. Factor in the 997 TT, in a couple of years and what you have is a dismal sale cycle for the 997 and 997S.

BTW Porsche is well aware of this. Thus the need for the Cayenne, Cayman and sedan.

Better have a seat before you read this nick, its gonna hurt a bit

"Strong Demand for Porsche Sports Cars in North America

Stuttgart.
    Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG, Stuttgart, has again experienced significant sales growth in North America. In February 2005, a total of 2,360 vehicles were delivered to customers in the US and Canada; compared to 2,185 units in February 2004, this represents an increase of eight percent. Porsche has therefore achieved its best February sales figure for North America in the history of the Company.

While there was a 20 percent decline in deliveries of the Cayenne to 1,044 vehicles, sports cars turned in an excellent performance in Porsche's largest market. 732 of 911 vehicles were sold, a year-on-year increase of 20 percent. This figure does not yet include the new 911 Carrera Cabriolet, which will be launched on the North American market on March 12 to provide the 911 series with new momentum. 20 units of the high performance Carrera GT sports car were supplied to customers in February (February 2004: three units).

Finally, the Boxster also recorded strong growth: deliveries increased by 107 percent to 564 vehicles. In particular, the new generation Boxster, which was only launched in North America in mid-January, was very much in demand."

http://www3.es.porsche.com/spanish/esp/news/pressreleases/pag/2005-03-02-1.htm

20 units of the high performance Carrera GT sports car were supplied to customers in February (February 2004: three units).
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

How many CGT have been sold worldwide altogether?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    759670 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    433782 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259747 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    256899 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80602 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5305 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

870710 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    805738 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM