Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Do you routinely drive your car hard?

Just wondering how spiritedly you guys drive the car.

Are you always racing the engine and accelerating as fast as conditions allow? Do you often force the rev limiter to enguage? Or do you drive normally and conservatively until the mood strikes you to get frisky?

People always say "Porsches are BUILT to be driven hard." That may be true, but they aren't built to be trouble free, and driving them hard routinely seems to be accelerating the advent of breakdowns.

IOW, if Le Mans were driven at 50 mph max speeds the race could go on for weeks.

Unless you plan to trade the car in when the warrenty expires it seems nuts to beat the car on a daily basis.

Re: Do you routinely drive your car hard?

Only on the Track and at the Autocross.....limit driving is GREAT!
    Removes the need to speed on public roads where you can't even get close.
    Remember, the brake pedal is the hardest to master

Quote:
    Porsches are BUILT to be driven hard

almost impossible with speed limits .

I drive it fairly hard even around London, but that doesn't necessarily mean fast does it. On the open road, I frequently hit the rev limiter. I didn't buy a Porsche to get me from A-B. That's what the Underground is for.

Me too - all the way

sure. whats the use if you dont hit it to hear the sound and get pushed in the seats. obey traffic laws though.

I drive mine hard almost every journey but occasionally do take it easy normally on motorways where I am bored and just cruise. If it is a country road I try and hit timewarp speed all the time . The same can not be said for my bike where I have never ever ridden it without thrashing its nuts off. In fact I have no idea what my bike is like in cruising mode as I only ever have full throttle on it or full brakes !!

I thought it was bad to actually hit the rev limiter?

I drive mine in all manner, that's why it's such a great car, happy to cruise on the motorway in 6th at 80 MPH and equally happy to thrash a nice country side road.
    In the city streets though, I take it faily easy.

Quote:
    Ed J said:
    I didn't buy a Porsche to get me from A-B.

You didn't? I did...but only following the guide below :

It depends on when the mood strikes. Obviously I did not by this car to drive it slow....but I generally cruise. It's not until the evenings, when the streets are empty that I take the Bavarian Queen out for a spin. There are some great roads near my home that help produce great sounds from the engine.

Pedal to the Metal
    Ray

2005 997

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    I thought it was bad to actually hit the rev limiter?

It's not bad, as long as you do it while going up the gears. Downshifting into too low a gear that causes over-rev is very bad...

I wish I could drive it hard all the time, but the speed limits and traffic are minor deterents!

Quote:
    rss996 said:
    I wish I could drive it hard all the time, but the speed limits and traffic are minor deterents!

Good point. I learned to think of it this way. When in traffic and in residential areas or behind some slow poke and unable to pass, the car is just a normal means of transport.

The instant conditions clear up the thing becomes a Porsche.

If you consider that I love to drive from point A to point B on the winding mountain roads instead of taking the more sedated route on the freeways, then I am guilty of driving my car hard.

Quote:
    vtrader said:
    If you consider that I love to drive from point A to point B on the winding mountain roads instead of taking the more sedated route on the freeways, then I am guilty of driving my car hard.

Heysus Christo you drive far haha

when the road is open and not many cars, or very twisty, i make sure the engine is warm, and punch it.

other times, i drive pretty normal.

some days i go out just to drive and excersize my cars and my familys stable of automobiles, so, yes, Drive hard.

i don't plan to sell these cars anyway, i drive when i want, where i want, and for me only.

well i always drove any car that got in my hands at the limits. Traffic or no traffic. Radar or no radar.

But due to my personal experience i concluded that everyday car abuse results to quick and sure problems.
    So with my new 997 i try to depress myself a little and go normall during work days. That way i ll be able to sell my car in one piece when i deside and not all wrecked up

It doesn't take a hero to drive a 911 to the limit on public roads. The problem is that for most of us, and I include myself, the limits of the car are way higher than the limits of the driver .

From my personal experience I found that driving a Porsche on a race-track is immensely enriching for your driving skills. In addition it makes you a much smarter driver on public roads. As they say In order to know your limits you have to go beyond them ! but it's advisable to do this off public roads.

...no,.. but sometimes for car HEALTH... I let car breathe ocasionally, but then I let car rest...Keeps it healthy for longer period of time...

Dr. Carrera, just for you... You may leave such advice for non-grownups...Every person is responsible for his actions in his own life...To drive car HARD does NOT mean to drive it FAST near top speed limit...One may still excercise car hard, drive it HARD and apply good skill at low speeds...

Quote:
    vtrader said:

vtrader, do you prefer to drive to Vincent or to take the Angeles Crest Highway to Wrightwood. The reason I ask is I'm thinking of taking a roadtrip from OC.

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    vtrader said:

vtrader, do you prefer to drive to Vincent or to take the Angeles Crest Highway to Wrightwood. The reason I ask is I'm thinking of taking a roadtrip from OC.

You need to check with the Highway Patrol as far as road closures. When I went up a week ago, the road to Wrightwood was closed and the one to Vincent was also closed. So I went up to Mt. Wilson and then drove back and took the more sedate way by freeway.

Thanks. Didn't think about road closures. I'll just take the Ortega Highway to Lake Elsinore for now. I believe that's open.

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:

I kinda like Angeles FOREST off of Angeles Crest.

Big time elevation changes with few guard rails.

Keeps your attention

Quote:
    MMD said:
    That may be true, but they aren't built to be trouble free, and driving them hard routinely seems to be accelerating the advent of breakdowns.

They aren't built to be trouble free? Well, I guess you mean "sh.t happens".
    My cars have always been driven hard and I never had a technical failure which could be connected directly to my driving style. I know that some 997 owners had trouble with their cars but the 997 is a new product (80-85 % new parts compared to the 996) and in the first year of production, sh.t happens. This is only natural and it is similar with all car manufacturers.

I drive my car(s) hard whenever I'm able to do that and I was never thinking of a possible technical breakdown. If it happens, it happens.

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:

I kinda like Angeles FOREST off of Angeles Crest.

Big time elevation changes with few guard rails.

Keeps your attention

Angeles Forest is what I take to go to Vincent but one week ago it was closed.

Here is another trip that I took that is a good driving route, especially as you go over the mountains into the Palm Springs area. Point A is Warner Springs (nothing special unless your are learning to fly a glider, nice glider port there). It was nice also because most of the drivers used the turnouts when they see you approaching.

Here is a closeup of the highway right before you descent into Palm Desert:

Thanks. I'll try all of these on my next roadtrips!

By the way, here's a nice road between the 101 (San Lucas) and the 5 (Coalinga) if you venture farther north to Central California.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688200 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408564 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255483 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234699 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65333 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4632 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857457 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773151 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM