Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

New Porsche EV

https://www.motor1.com/news/527097/porsche-concept-study-teaser-iaa/

Any idea what this might be?

Personally, looking forward to a Porsche EV Coupe (ala 928), if this is based on Taycan platform.

Re: New Porsche EV

Boxster / Cayman as EV would be nice... blush

Jean:

Personally, looking forward to a Porsche EV Coupe (ala 928), if this is based on Taycan platform.

Don't know about the car, but know about the color. This looks like the new red that is in the pipel (a very deep red like the ones you see on the Renauld or Mazda) and will be available for the whole range, 911 included

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

Jean:

Problem is, big coupe like that doesn't sell well.

And in a way, the Taycan sedan is already considered by Porsche to be the 'sport car' of the EV side of things.

I think Motor1 is wrong, this will be the new EV Macan. 

--

Whoopsy:

And in a way, the Taycan sedan is already considered by Porsche to be the 'sport car' of the EV side of things.

The positioning of the headlight does not seem to fit the crossover SUV type.

Why would Porsche mention 70 years of motor sports if this is another SUV?

I think this must be an EV sports car.

Headlamps on the Macan EV are a different shape and do not have that lower amber flap.  It makes sense that this is a small sports car in the spirit of the Boxster/Cayman twins.  Other than the GTS/GT4 variants with the 4.0 liter boxer six cylinder motor, the rest of the line up has that flaccid sounding flat four, so an EV version would not lose anything emotionally. Beside the lack of suitable sound for a sports car, weight will remain problematic too; however, it is doubtful most drivers will even notice because acceleration will be brisk.  

Could be the car for Le Mans 2022, in a prototype form

xpto:

I don't think so. Porsche at Le Mans only in 2023. Also - That is nowhere near enough lighting for a prototype race car 

Oooh - a new deep cherry red will be enticing - neighbours have an abundance of those CX mazda things in the deep red - look stunning on a bright day and I often wondered what a boxster would look like in that hue. 

--

991.2 C2S Cab, X3 Black\Black - 2 kids, 1 dog

Spyderidol:
    xpto:

I don't think so. Porsche at Le Mans only in 2023. Also - That is nowhere near enough lighting for a prototype race car 

I messed with the calendarSmiley

bridggar:

Oooh - a new deep cherry red will be enticing - neighbours have an abundance of those CX mazda things in the deep red - look stunning on a bright day and I often wondered what a boxster would look like in that hue. 

Audi almost ten years ago had a similar color with a hint of gold metal flake called Volcano Red. 

Jean:
    Whoopsy:

The positioning of the headlight does not seem to fit the crossover SUV type.

Why would Porsche mention 70 years of motor sports if this is another SUV?

I think this must be an EV sports car.

EV replacement for the 718 is not due for another few years. Showing a concept in 3 weeks doesn't fit the time line. 

Even a EV replacement for the 918 isn't due to show up in concept form until 2023 or so.

I actually turned down Porsche's invite to visit the Munich show before my Alpine event. Maybe that was a mistake Smiley

Looking up and down Porsche's lineup, there isn't an obvious hole to fill. Successor to the 928 could be one, big that big coupe market doesn't sell, Mercedes only moves a few S coupe a year, and BMW stretched their 8 series to 4 doors also to broaden the market. Even combined those aren't selling in great numbers. Higher up in price that's Bentley territory. 

911 isn't due to be electrified for a long long time. Nor the Cayenne. Taycan is the EV side of the Panamera. The only product that's due for electrification is the Macan. 

But for Porsche, the definition of 'sports car' is debatable, they branded the Taycan as a sports car too. 

Interesting teaser for sure.

--

Spyderidol:
    xpto:

But it could be the street car side of the race car. Smiley

--

Are you sure about the 718? I thought the EV successor will be shown relatively soon and they are already testing it on the streets? Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

If they follow Mission E timeline, this is the right time to introduce 718, 918 replacement, or anything really. 

Jokes aside, Porsche now has Taycan running gears and all they have to do is to package it differently, thus it will probably not take another 4 years to introduce another EV.

The headlight has resemblance to Taycan, so I think this must be an EV and has some relation to the Taycan body?

Whoopsy:
    Successor to the 928 could be one, big that big coupe market doesn't sell, Mercedes only moves a few S coupe a year, and BMW stretched their 8 series to 4 doors also to broaden the market. Even combined those aren't selling in great numbers. Higher up in price that's Bentley territory. 

I understand that the market is thin for luxury two door coupes, but I want my golf course EV express that fits two golf bags in the boot.  Smiley 

If they can make Cross Turismo and Sport Turismo out of Taycan, they can squeeze a modern day 928 out of it too.

Taycan was 13% of total Porsche sales and even more with two upcoming variants I am sure.  They can give back to the enthusiasts by producing a modern day 928. Smiley

Jean:
    Whoopsy:
    Successor to the 928 could be one, big that big coupe market doesn't sell, Mercedes only moves a few S coupe a year, and BMW stretched their 8 series to 4 doors also to broaden the market. Even combined those aren't selling in great numbers. Higher up in price that's Bentley territory. 

I understand that the market is thin for luxury two door coupes, but I want my golf course EV express that fits two golf bags in the boot.  Smiley 

If they can make Cross Turismo and Sport Turismo out of Taycan, they can squeeze a modern day 928 out of it too.

Taycan was 13% of total Porsche sales and even more with two upcoming variants I am sure.  They can give back to the enthusiasts by producing a modern day 928. Smiley

Yeah well even in my big Panamera, golf bags don't fit sideways without taking out driver and stuff. 

Like how hard it is to make a rectangle the size of two golf bags with drivers and style a trunk around that rectangle? 

The original NSX can do that, Heck even the current Corvette can do that. 

This is where I missed my old S8. Golf bags with drivers can fit STRAIGHT IN. Not sideways. Trunk was that deep. Not even my old B7 can do that.

--

Jean:

If they follow Mission E timeline, this is the right time to introduce 718, 918 replacement, or anything really. 

Jokes aside, Porsche now has Taycan running gears and all they have to do is to package it differently, thus it will probably not take another 4 years to introduce another EV.

The headlight has resemblance to Taycan, so I think this must be an EV and has some relation to the Taycan body?

I do agree it's a Mission E platform car with that headlight design. 

I keep thinking they would do a car based EV Macan with the skateboard platform. Be a more proper car based CUV instead of the current Macan where it is half way between a SUV and a CUV.

--

Whoopsy:

I do agree it's a Mission E platform car with that headlight design. 

I keep thinking they would do a car based EV Macan with the skateboard platform. Be a more proper car based CUV instead of the current Macan where it is half way between a SUV and a CUV.

Years ago, there was a spy shot of such Macan EV (coupe style) on the forum.  It had a distinctive skateboard bottom without much ground clearance.  Thus, such a car must be coming. 

Screen Shot 2021-08-19 at 9.45.54 AM.png

Re-looking at that teaser pic.........

There is no cut line for the frunk, no cut line for the front bumper.

Only car in the lineup with such a design cue is the Macan. Even the 918 had a bumper cut line. 

But reading further with their descriptions, motorsports innovations to series production. A hypercar doesn't necessarily need the frunk to be opened. Le Mans hypercar rules means hybrid and this one seems to be electric so that's ruled out.

What about a EV halo car with Formula E innovations? Hmm, Porsche isn't doing that great in Formula E and it's pretty much a spec series so not much innovations. That's out also.

What a riddle Porsche put up.

--

I imagine a low slung front end when I see this pic.

Also that slight black line at the top suggests an opening, a short overhang, or an opening for possible aero?

Perhaps a Tesla Roadster fighter with Rimac 800V tech?

A sibling of Nevera?

Whoopsy:

Screen Shot 2021-08-19 at 9.45.54 AM.png

Re-looking at that teaser pic.........

There is no cut line for the frunk, no cut line for the front bumper.

Only car in the lineup with such a design cue is the Macan. Even the 918 had a bumper cut line. 

But reading further with their descriptions, motorsports innovations to series production. A hypercar doesn't necessarily need the frunk to be opened. Le Mans hypercar rules means hybrid and this one seems to be electric so that's ruled out.

What about a EV halo car with Formula E innovations? Hmm, Porsche isn't doing that great in Formula E and it's pretty much a spec series so not much innovations. That's out also.

What a riddle Porsche put up.

Hypercar is out for another reason: Porsche is entering in the LMDh category of Hypercar. The LMDh cars is essentially the "new" DPI. It will be based on what will eventually be the new LMP2 chassis. In other words, the LMDh cars will not need to be related to road going cars , but manufacturers can choose to bring their own identity and styling cues. The LMDh Porsche will have a Multimatic chassis and a hybrid powertrain from Bosch, Williams Advanced Engineering and Xtrac (gearbox).  The only thing that will be Porsche will be the engine (ICU) and the body design. 

Given all this, there really is no incentive to design a road car based on the LMDh prototype, unless they want to use similar design cues.

Like how hard it is to make a rectangle the size of two golf bags with drivers and style a trunk around that rectangle? 

The original NSX can do that, Heck even the current Corvette can do that. 

This is where I missed my old S8. Golf bags with drivers can fit STRAIGHT IN. Not sideways. Trunk was that deep. Not even my old B7 can do that.

Pretty much all the space behind the rear glass engine cover was trunk space.....quite amazing.

2005 last year of gen 1 production

DSCN3138.jpeg

--

2015 Jet Black TT

That's a clean looking original NSX!!

Clearly it can be done. Elegantly no less.

Some car designers are just too lazy. Or not up to par. Modern cars are pushing over 6 feet wide. How hard it is to make room for 50 inchesmail

--

Taycan GT angryindecision

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

After a few mentions above about the 928 being such a large coupe, I could not stop from thinking that earlier this week when I passed a 928 on the highway; I was amazed at how small those cars actually are. It looked rather out of scale being on the highway with todays traffic.

928 isn't a big car by modern standard. 

But the replacement will be, if it's based on the Panamera or the Taycan. If Porsche makes one, it will literally within millimetres in every dimension of a S Coupe.

--

Regulations have changed and the old shapes are difficult to replicate since the pillars are thicker now.

So, apparently this concept car does have something to do with Motorsport:

https://twitter.com/PorscheRaces/status/1433703211983065097?s=20

I was hoping for a GT4 RS premiere, but i guess that is off the table now.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764806 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436820 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261182 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258081 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82707 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5331 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877142 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809296 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM