Crown

Forum - Thread

Tires on GT3 / RS

Has anyone tried the new Good Year  F1 Supersport ? Or has valid info on them ?

Who has been driving the Pirelli Trofeo in the rain and how did it compare to the Cup 2 ? 

Also, is there a new version of the Cup that came with the GT3 992 ?

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

Re: Tyres on GT3 / RS

I tried the Goodyears once on my RS and wasn't impressed. I had less confidence in fast corners than with the CUP2s and esp CUP2Rs (my favorite when dry); maybe because those tires run with more air pressure that the Michelins.   

Cup 2s will always be better than the Trofeo R  in the rain in any versions other than Cup R. Even when they aren't super good in the wet.

Trofeo R is another step up in dry grip, so the compound is even more compromised on wet traction. 

The F1 Supersport is the current OEM for 992, correct? can't be that bad if Porsche certifies it. 

It's an off shoot fo the Good year Supercar 3R tire, and that was OEM tire for the Camaro ZL1 1LE, their track monster. GM launched that car at our track I think 4 years ago and Goodyear also launched that tire at the same time. It was stickier, and more durable than the Cup 2 back then.  

You need new tires for the GT3RS? My take would be to stick with Cup 2. 

And if you want better rain traction than Cup 2, I would suggest the Michelin Sport 4S, which have Porsche specific N-rated tires in the correct sizing. 

--

Each time I change tires I end up buying the Cup2, as I know them well and you can't go wrong with them.

But, a change would be nice. I did have the Dunlops a few times on my previous RS and the curent one came with them. I liked them a lot. Maybe a little bit less grip then the Cup2 but when they loose grip the transition  is very very smooth, quite nice for going to the limits. 

I have nearly bought the Pirelli Trofeo a few times. I think on a wet track they are probably at par with the Cup2. Where it  makes a difference is when traveling under heavy rain on highways. As I drive the RS to the tracks, 650 km to the Ring, 600 to Mugello, 500km to Paul Ricard  etc... I need to be able to '' survive '' under heavy rain with standing water. There the Trofeo would be in those conditions even worst then the Cup2.

Seems I am stuck with yet another run with them. 

I thought maybe with the 992 GT3 there was a new, better version, but seems not.

@Schmoell: Aren't you also supped to run higher tire pressure with the R then with the standard Cup ?

Also, once you have done your 2 or 3 first laps with them, don't they become '' regular '' Cups , as the stickier compound  does not last ?

--

I think the Goodyear F1 Supersport R is just a relabeled Dunlop RaceMaxx2 (same parent company) and the RS version is a higher performance version to rival the Cup2 R version.

https://www.goodyear.eu/en_gb/consumer/why-goodyear/eagle-f1-supersport.html

--

22 GT3 Manual pending, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 18 GT3 Manual, 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

I'm very happy with the Cup 2 here in California. I just have to be careful during wintertime when mornings and nights can get too cold for this tire.

How many of you are using nitrogen tire gas?

--

If I don't fly, I drive my .:RS :)

I liked the Dunlops more than the Cups on my GT3, since they had one rubber compound across the tread that tended to wear longer than the soft shoulder of the Cup.

--

22 GT3 Manual pending, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 18 GT3 Manual, 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Gnil:

Each time I change tires I end up buying the Cup2, as I know them well and you can't go wrong with them.

But, a change would be nice. I did have the Dunlops a few times on my previous RS and the curent one came with them. I liked them a lot. Maybe a little bit less grip then the Cup2 but when they loose grip the transition  is very very smooth, quite nice for going to the limits. 

I have nearly bought the Pirelli Trofeo a few times. I think on a wet track they are probably at par with the Cup2. Where it  makes a difference is when traveling under heavy rain on highways. As I drive the RS to the tracks, 650 km to the Ring, 600 to Mugello, 500km to Paul Ricard  etc... I need to be able to '' survive '' under heavy rain with standing water. There the Trofeo would be in those conditions even worst then the Cup2.

I thought maybe with the 992 GT3 there was a new, better version, but seems not.

@Schmoell: Aren't you also supped to run higher tire pressure with the R then with the standard Cup ?

Also, once you have done your 2 or 3 first laps with them, don't they become '' regular '' Cups , as the stickier compound  does not last ?

On a wet track the Trofeo won't stand a chance. It won't be able to get up to temp to perform. Groves on the tire are just there to satisfy DOT requirement and for 'light' moisture on road. 

in your case, Cup2 it is. Those travel miles will just going to eat up the special layer on a Cup R before you get to the tracks. 

The Dunlops would wear slightly faster than Cup 2. 

Cup 2s are really the magic tire, good wear, great grip, acceptable when wet. 

--

On a racetrack I run 2.0 bar all around on Cup2 and Cup2R. Some prefer higher pressure on the rear. "Correct" pressure will also depend on the setup of the car. For me Cup2 is the best compromise. 

Grant:

I think the Goodyear F1 Supersport R is just a relabeled Dunlop RaceMaxx2 (same parent company) and the RS version is a higher performance version to rival the Cup2 R version.

--

They do indeed look exactly the same. 

This is the Good Year

e-f1-ssr-tyre.png

And this the Dunlop 

1629024401976image.jpg

--

Pilot:

I'm very happy with the Cup 2 here in California. I just have to be careful during wintertime when mornings and nights can get too cold for this tire.

All these semi slick tires need heat in them to perform properly. Most of the time, here in spring or fall when doing drives on public road I never manage to get enough temperature in them to work properly. It can be tricky. 

That's why I think  Pilot sport 4S are more suited for public roads. You will never lack grip driving reasonably, you will have so much better wet traction and stability, and they will work at any temperature.

Nitrogen in the tire is like not optioning the stereo to gain wait and be faster . It is just in your mind Smiley

--

Gnil:

I do enjoy Trofeo R's more than Cup 2's when really attacking a track, but on the road their operating window was much more narrow, downright scary in heavy rain. Also 1 or 2 trackdays in the dry and they were finished. That said I hear the current iteration solves these issues, I'd give them a try. I'm also having them fitted shortly. 

--

1969 Mercedes-Benz 300SEL 6.3  / 2018 Mercedes-AMG E63 S / 2020 Ferrari 812SF

Gnil:
    Grant:

--

They do indeed look exactly the same. 

This is the Good Year

e-f1-ssr-tyre.png

And this the Dunlop 

1629024401976image.jpg

Yes, and tirerack.com shows that they are both made in Germany...

--

Porker:
    Also 1 or 2 trackdays in the dry and they were finished. 

These road legal semi slicks need heat cycling just like the racing slicks if you want them to last and perform properly.

Did you heat cycle before you had at it at the track?

Jean:
    Porker:

These road legal semi slicks need heat cycling just like the racing slicks if you want them to last and perform properly.

No, simply arrive and drive, I know that's not ideal...

--

Gnil:
    Pilot:

All these semi slick tires need heat in them to perform properly. Most of the time, here in spring or fall when doing drives on public road I never manage to get enough temperature in them to work properly. It can be tricky. 

That's why I think  Pilot sport 4S are more suited for public roads. You will never lack grip driving reasonably, you will have so much better wet traction and stability, and they will work at any temperature.

Nitrogen in the tire is like not optioning the stereo to gain wait and be faster . It is just in your mind Smiley

I used Cup N1s then Cup 2s for many years on my 7GT2 because that is what the factory specified but I don't go on the track and drive year round.

Made the switch to PS4S and exactly as Gnil says, I couldn't believe the extra tractive grip they gave in all situations on the road, a great upgrade for my needs Smiley

--

997 GT2 2014 3.9 Mezger, 800PS @ 1.2 bar

993 Turbo, 2006 built 3.8, 577PS/797NM, 1440kg DIN sold to a worthy enthusiast.

TB993tt:
    Gnil:
    Pilot:

I used Cup N1s then Cup 2s for many years on my 7GT2 because that is what the factory specified but I don't go on the track and drive year round.

Made the switch to PS4S and exactly as Gnil says, I couldn't believe the extra tractive grip they gave in all situations on the road, a great upgrade for my needs Smiley

Cup's are specified by the factory only because the GT cars are aimed to be tracked and that is where these tire perform better. And they also have to fit the car with the tire they make their lap times claim. But If you don't track, PS4S will be much better suited. Smiley

--

Porker:
    That said I hear the current iteration solves these issues, I'd give them a try. I'm also having them fitted shortly. 

Do they have a specific  designation ? And are these infos safe enough to trust ?

--

Porker:
    Jean:
    Porker:

No, simply arrive and drive, I know that's not ideal...

Those few hundred km you drove to the track, unless it's raining and cold, counts as one heat cycle, if you also waited like 30 mins to an hour, before heading out to the track. I know you don't baby the drive Smiley

Every session also counts as one heat cycle if you aren't doing back to back sessions.

Regardless, unlike Cup 2s, Trofeo R were never made to last. while a bit less sticky and slower than Trofeo R, the Cup 2s easily have double or triple the lifespan.

--

Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 R VS Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperSport RS VS Pirelli P Zero Trofeo R - Tested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2oe9oTU7Aw

Kobalt:

Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 R VS Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperSport RS VS Pirelli P Zero Trofeo R - Tested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2oe9oTU7Aw

Interesting!  Would love to see a test among the three stock tire choices for the new GT3 (Supersport R, Cup2, and Corsa).

--

Here is same guy comparing Cup2 vs. Cup2 R:

Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 VS Cup 2 R - How Much FASTER is the Cup 2 R? - YouTube

--

Gnil:
    Porker:
    That said I hear the current iteration solves these issues, I'd give them a try. I'm also having them fitted shortly. 

Do they have a specific  designation ? And are these infos safe enough to trust ?

What do you mean with specific designation? Like an N-rating? Manthey fits them, I don't usually question their expertise :)

--

Porker:
    Gnil:
    Porker:

What do you mean with specific designation? Like an N-rating? Manthey fits them, I don't usually question their expertise :)

Like something that differentiate them from the previous ones. Like N2 instead of N1 

--

Gnil:
    Porker:
    Gnil:
    Porker:

Like something that differentiate them from the previous ones. Like N2 instead of N1 

--

Good question, I will ask

--

Interesting that the Rimac Nevera — fastest car in the world — is running on Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tyres!  E0F26BDD-E91B-4EF4-964B-7C4204B9E420.gif

Boxster Coupe GTS:

Interesting that the Rimac Nevera — fastest car in the world — is running on Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tyres!  E0F26BDD-E91B-4EF4-964B-7C4204B9E420.gif

I am sure Michelin PS4s on the Rimac is vastly different tyre to meet the needs of EV characteristics and increased weight.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM