Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Family car - Volvo XC90

J.Seven:

Congrats Lars, Volvo looks nice in and out but I´m surprised you like it so much after test drive, it must be much better car than expected! 

Thanks my friend. Yes - it is. If you would have asked me two weeks ago about Volvo I would have sent you far away! Smiley

dreamcar:

Many people are prejudiced against Volvo from the days where their vehicles were akin to a military armoured personnel carrier and handled and drove in the same way. They've come a long way since then. Volvo still don't make cars that are the "ultimate driving machine" to coin BMW's tag line. But comparing their products with the default German equivalents they are at least on a par. We looked at many options before buying our V40, despite all saying the VW Golf is the best small hatch neither of us found it comfortable, the fascia whilst being of high quality is typically dark and austere.It has the styling and character of domestic a It's also way overpriced. VW dealerships, much like BMW are arrogant and the sales staff have a couldn't care less attitude in the belief that it makes no difference how offhand they are the public will still beg to buy their cars.  The BMW 1 series is unspeakably bad. The Audi A3 is the closest rival, but again not as comfortable and much more expensive. Volvo products are also bring a refreshing individuality in what is becoming an increasingly bland and same-sameness about almost every other manufacturer. And we all know the contempt VW Group feel about their customers by the way they cheated emissions, the residual values of their cars have fallen off a cliff as a result and apart from the US (which has much stronger consumer protection) have refused to offer any compensation. 

I exactly have the same experience.

Regarding the XC90, it is driving very agile. It feels much smaller than it is. The handling is direct but still comfortable. I was surprised after driving it, never expected it in this way.

Lars997:
    dreamcar:

Many people are prejudiced against Volvo from the days where their vehicles were akin to a military armoured personnel carrier and handled and drove in the same way. They've come a long way since then. Volvo still don't make cars that are the "ultimate driving machine" to coin BMW's tag line. But comparing their products with the default German equivalents they are at least on a par. We looked at many options before buying our V40, despite all saying the VW Golf is the best small hatch neither of us found it comfortable, the fascia whilst being of high quality is typically dark and austere.It has the styling and character of domestic a It's also way overpriced. VW dealerships, much like BMW are arrogant and the sales staff have a couldn't care less attitude in the belief that it makes no difference how offhand they are the public will still beg to buy their cars.  The BMW 1 series is unspeakably bad. The Audi A3 is the closest rival, but again not as comfortable and much more expensive. Volvo products are also bring a refreshing individuality in what is becoming an increasingly bland and same-sameness about almost every other manufacturer. And we all know the contempt VW Group feel about their customers by the way they cheated emissions, the residual values of their cars have fallen off a cliff as a result and apart from the US (which has much stronger consumer protection) have refused to offer any compensation. 

Regarding the XC90, it is driving very agile. It feels much smaller than it is. The handling is direct but still comfortable. I was surprised after driving it, never expected it in this way.

Hi Lars,

I'm glad about your XC90 order. Congrats on the purchase. It has been my favorite SUV on the market, even before driving it. I didn't ask for a test drive because if I had liked how it drives, the itch would started with me to buy the car. However, your test drive is the proof of this cars success.

Unfortunately, I have many other concerns besides cars, now on these days. It is the price of living in a 3rd World Country.

Wish you nice driving days my friend. Smiley

--

ONUR

458 italia smiley

Lars997:

@Herbaliser and @Scifrog: Stay clear boys - the ultimate SUV is still the Lada Niva  

@Herbaliser - have you ever driven a Volvo? I actually though a week ago that I will never do. After test driving I got the qualities. The Cayenne is a great car no doubt! It drives where nice, but be assured - after all the cars we been testing the last couple of weeks we recognized that others are not worse at all. Closest to the feel of the Cayenne (but certainly a newer and more development) is the Levante. The Range Rove Sport has its proven qualities and the X5 is sporty and very handy, too. What makes the Volvo different is that it feels much more light. It feels at least 1 Meter shorter than it is. The Cayenne is refined but you can feel that it has seen some years. Go to the next Volvo dealer and test drive it.

If you make a comment that bold, you better make the same extensive test series we did. We been driving 11 cars - try this on the Maledives 

He is not on the Maldives...this is all I can say. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

We went twice to the Madilves and don't remember seeing any cars there smiley

Cars in Maldives? I thought it was all oceans and beaches!

--

Many cars in the Maldives smiley

male_vueduciel_max.jpg

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

dreamcar:

--

Porsche Boxster GTS Carrara white / Volvo V40 R Design daily drive

I looked at the V40 for daily driver and it is not roomy inside. I didn't drive it though. Imo A3 is a lot better but true it is expensive. I think the BMW 1 series is ok. The BMW dash and interior is a lot better than the V40's interior.

I tried the 1 series found it very uncomfortable and cramped, actually more so than the Volvo. Normally it's just me in it as it's my commuting car, occasionally it's just SWMBO and me, but yes for a family with say two children it would be tight. I actually prefer the interior of the Volvo to the 1 series,  quality of plastics much better and less Teutonic austere. The ergonomics of the infotainment with no touch screen and dozens of little buttons is not clever, I agree. This will change with the all new V40 due in a couple of years I'm sure it will have the large touch screen system of the newer larger models.

--

Believe it or not, I saw three XC90 T8 (they all had the E at the end of their German license plate, so they were clearly T8s and all license plates were different and not from my region, so no dealer cars) yesterday within a two hour time frame. This model certainly seems to become a bestseller in Germany in the SUV segment. 

Lars, how good was the lease (of buying) offer? Maybe this is one of the major reasons Volvo sells so many XC90? yes

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

dreamcar:

I tried the 1 series found it very uncomfortable and cramped, actually more so than the Volvo. Normally it's just me in it as it's my commuting car, occasionally it's just SWMBO and me, but yes for a family with say two children it would be tight. I actually prefer the interior of the Volvo to the 1 series,  quality of plastics much better and less Teutonic austere. The ergonomics of the infotainment with no touch screen and dozens of little buttons is not clever, I agree. This will change with the all new V40 due in a couple of years I'm sure it will have the large touch screen system of the newer larger models.
    --

I rented a V40 D2 last time I was in Germany, made almost 1000 km (Stuttgart to Kehl, then to Zurich and then back to Stuttgart). We also have an A3 Sportback 1.6 TDI in the family. 

So my honest opinion, I prefer A3 without a second thought but like the V40 more than I would have thought. I think, the new XC90 platform (I mean the interior & exterior design language) is very nice which now shapes the S40/XC40 concepts. I especially like S40 sedan concept and if it is large enough, I would like to buy it in place of my wife's BMW F30.

--

ONUR

458 italia smiley

pride355:
    Lars997:
    dreamcar:

Hi Lars,

I'm glad about your XC90 order. Congrats on the purchase. It has been my favorite SUV on the market, even before driving it. I didn't ask for a test drive because if I had liked how it drives, the itch would started with me to buy the car. However, your test drive is the proof of this cars success.

Unfortunately, I have many other concerns besides cars, now on these days. It is the price of living in a 3rd World Country.

Wish you nice driving days my friend. Smiley

Thank you my friend!

I was thinking a lot about you and your family lately. Hope you guys are doing great and that the situation will be very soon smooth again!

RC:
    Lars997:

@Herbaliser and @Scifrog: Stay clear boys - the ultimate SUV is still the Lada Niva  

@Herbaliser - have you ever driven a Volvo? I actually though a week ago that I will never do. After test driving I got the qualities. The Cayenne is a great car no doubt! It drives where nice, but be assured - after all the cars we been testing the last couple of weeks we recognized that others are not worse at all. Closest to the feel of the Cayenne (but certainly a newer and more development) is the Levante. The Range Rove Sport has its proven qualities and the X5 is sporty and very handy, too. What makes the Volvo different is that it feels much more light. It feels at least 1 Meter shorter than it is. The Cayenne is refined but you can feel that it has seen some years. Go to the next Volvo dealer and test drive it.

If you make a comment that bold, you better make the same extensive test series we did. We been driving 11 cars - try this on the Maledives 

He is not on the Maldives...this is all I can say. Smiley

ok ok.... eastern European Union! Smiley

pride355:
    dreamcar:

--

I rented a V40 D2 last time I was in Germany, made almost 1000 km (Stuttgart to Kehl, then to Zurich and then back to Stuttgart). We also have an A3 Sportback 1.6 TDI in the family. 

So my honest opinion, I prefer A3 without a second thought but like the V40 more than I would have thought. I think, the new XC90 platform (I mean the interior & exterior design language) is very nice which now shapes the S40/XC40 concepts. I especially like S40 sedan concept and if it is large enough, I would like to buy it in place of my wife's BMW F30.

It looks very good Onor, clean cut styling. I may well get one when I retire in a couple of years to replace the V40 and SWMBO's Honda Jazz.

You have my sympathy with the unpleasant  situation in your home country, and wish you all the very best Smiley

--

3 pages of Volvo already?!!??! And without mentioning you know who? 

Wow.

--

Whoopsy:

Wow.

Have you started spec'ing yours yet? Smiley Smiley

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

bluelines:
    Whoopsy:

Wow.

I HAD a Volvo before..........................

1st gen S40

What took you guys so long to buy a Volvo!!!

--

Whoopsy:
    bluelines:
    Whoopsy:

Wow.

1st gen S40

Whoopsy we had a 440 back in 1995......just taking the rest of Rennteam a decade or two to catch up!! Smiley

--

dreamcar:
    pride355:
    dreamcar:

--

It looks very good Onor, clean cut styling. I may well get one when I retire in a couple of years to replace the V40 and SWMBO's Honda Jazz.

You have my sympathy with the unpleasant  situation in your home country, and wish you all the very best Smiley

Thank you. Smiley

--

ONUR

458 italia smiley

dreamcar:
    Whoopsy:
    bluelines:
    Whoopsy:

Wow.

1st gen S40

Whoopsy we had a 440 back in 1995......just taking the rest of Rennteam a decade or two to catch up!! Smiley

I had a Volvo 940 Turbo wagon (with baby on board sticker and one of those Christian fish) in my early 20's. If I wanted to impress someone or have a nice engaging drive I'd take my 914 but if I wanted to go REALLY fast, I'd take the Volvo. You could do ANYTHING in that car and no one would give you a second glance. It was the best car to speed in ever.

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

My father still has a Volvo 850 from 1993. From the 180K it has , maybe 120K were made by me when I used to live with my parents. Safe and predictable car. Back then the 5 cilinder engine, had a much better sound than the regular C class and 3 series. Smiley

--

J.Seven

J.Seven:

My father still has a Volvo 850 from 1993. From the 180K it has , maybe 120K were made by me when I used to live with my parents. Safe and predictable car. Back then the 5 cilinder engine, had a much better sound than the regular C class and 3 series. Smiley

Cool - sounds like a family heritage! Probably a sister car for your Range Rover one day ;) 

J.Seven:

I loved this car when it came out!

Finally got the Volo two weeks ago. Pictures shows it on 20" winter tires. Summer will be 22". 

First impression - amazing interior quality. The Technology works very well, that touch pad in the middle is very intuitive. It has also Apple & Android Car Play. Not sure what this is good for, as the Volvo integration works way better. But - it is just an App, don't have to use it. 

Regarding the engine. This is as my dealer said, the first Polstar XC90 in Germany. Polstar tuning adds only 14HP and 40NM, but it changes the characteristic of the gear box and throttle. Car feels very light, always enough power. It is fast enough, especially when being used to that SRT it feels ok and not too slow. Nevertheless - even the car is ultra quiet in most time, when accelerating you can hear that tiny 2.0 Liter engine in the front. It is not loud, but the sound it makes is just 4-cylinder noise, which kind of doesn't go at all with such a car.  Other than that - smooth air-ride and once in sports setting quiet stable and almost a bit harsh. 

The Hybrid works smooth. For most city-tours we purely drive electrical. Volvo claims 47km range, but is more like 35km. Nevertheless - intention of the hybrid is not to drive electrical but much more used the system whenever you accelerate to avoid high consumption. Speaking of - on my last two longer trips (200km+) I had an average consumption of 6.4 Liter, while having the Pilot-Assist (ACC plus Auto steering) at 135km/h for most of the time. One evening on the way back from the airport, the battery was empty and I was driving contentiously 200km/h and above and the car consumed 11.2 liter which is absolutely OK.

Overall - very happy about this car. I think it fulfills the family requirements perfectly. Lots and lots of space, comfy and fast ride, nice appearance, amazing seats (massage works way better than at the BMW), great assistants (drives basically by itself) and full internet integration (has two SIM cards installed and is always connected). Experience the EV and hybrid world is fun.

2017-01-26 14.16.24.jpg2017-01-26 14.18.07.jpg2017-01-26 16.03.23.jpg

14861921494802017-01-26 16.03.11.jpg

Congrats Lars! wink Looks great kiss

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

It looks very good , and the finish and presentation is amazing. 

A real , practical and perfect family transporter. 👍

Over here it is one of the best sellers with the Audi Q7. People go for one or the other. 

As you know I choose the Q7. We should do a soccer dad s SUV comparaison , but before let me install the ABT chip to be on par with your Double engined tuned rocket 😁😃

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Congrats kiss

That has to be a very quiet ride compared to the SLS smiley

Congrats Lars, my father-in-law has bought one as well, really beautiful car and the interior is amazing indeed! Sad they're only selling 4-cil engines these days.

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E / 2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2014 BMW-Alpina B3 biturbo Touring Allrad

I love your car! 

--

AM

Thanks my friends! - Appreciate your wishes... .even I feel a bit displaced with a "Volvo" at Rennteam angry

@Gnil - Tell your soccer dad buddy to install the Polstar upgrade, maybe he can keep up with your Q7 bomber smiley

@Porker - yep, the 4 Cylinder is the down. Not by performance, but by sound (and even it is very very quiet). 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688702 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408765 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255554 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234813 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65401 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4636 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857635 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773479 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM