Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche Panamera

That thing looks like it is half CGT and half Aston Martin!

A mix of the two best looking cars currently in production, whats wrong with that? Right now the 997, boxster, and cayenne look like a family in the deep woods of appalachia.
    As monty python use to say, And now for something completely different!!!

Tom

Fair enough...I am not denying that it's a beautiful car.

Quote:
    racerx said:
    I think this is great news. I've always liked this pic and it could be massaged in the back for a second door. FYI the 928 has a large V8 and its front is quite low. The pic supplied with the story is an ok shape but the front needs a makeover.

Tom

What's the story behind that photo? That's a pretty good looking car!

Very nice! it somehow reminds me of the Maserati Khamsin, one of my all time favourite wedges (remember the glass tailend?) and of the Lamborghini Espada, great coupe's designwise IMO!! nobody has the guts to make such bold design statements anymore these days...

turbolite

The story is that it was published about a year ago in some mainstream Mags like motor trend with the story of a reborn front engine porsche for long suffering 928 fans. It is a beautiful design.
    I do not know the artist or who if anyone comissioned it. With a little work on the roof line and rear it could be a nice sedan. I would much rather see a CGT type front then yet another derivative of the overused front now on most models

Tom

Imagine if Porsche introduced that car as the new 928. I bet it would very popular. I would buy one!

How about the new 929

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Imagine if Porsche introduced that car as the new 928. I bet it would very popular. I would buy one!

But remember, Porsche gave up naming cars 9XX. Even the Cayman internal code was a C7. So maybe the new code will be P8? (P-Panamera, 8th new project after running out of 9XX numbers)

A bit of useless Porsche trivia!

The C* naming scheme refers to a new body type for an existing model. For instance, the 996 C8 is the 996 Turbo cabriolet.

The first part of your sentence is right, though. We do not call the Cayenne the "955" internally, but the "Cayenne".
    But maybe this is only because there has only been one generation of Cayenne for now, hence the need to distinguish generations has not arisen yet. Once the project number of the next generation of Cayenne is known (we temporarily call the next generation "NF", e.g. "997 NF"), we might revert to our old ways...

Very interesting The Groom
    So the Cayman would be the 987 C7, right?

Actually, it indeed is the "987 C7". But we're often lazy and just call it "C7".

The marketing department wants customers to consider the Cayman as a separate model from the Boxster. The very fact it's not called "Boxster Coupé" is damning evidence. But the truth is, it's just a souped-up Boxster sold at a deliberately higher price.

On the other hand, I perfectly understand why they're doing this. The Cayman S utterly smokes the Carrera but is ~15k cheaper. Many decade-long loyal 911 owners are going to cry murder for this, so imagine the outrage if the Cayman were sold at the same price as a Boxster!

To end on a more positive note, many of you here complained about the Cayman being significantly more expensive than the Boxster. But it's also significantly cheaper than the Carrera. The Cayman is an amazing sportscar, and hardly anyone in Weissach can wait to drive one.

I agree, some base 997 owners are going to be mad (just some, not all), its one of the problems for not putting 350HP on the base 997 since the start instead of maintaining the same 996 specs on the new model.
    Also some Boxster S owners will be upset as well IMO.

Quote:
    But remember, Porsche gave up naming cars 9XX. Even the Cayman internal code was a C7. So maybe the new code will be P8? (P-Panamera, 8th new project after running out of 9XX numbers)

The early internal code for the Porsche sedan was E2. When there was discussion of it possibly coming in two door and four door versions, the code was E2A and E2B, respectively.

*Useless trivia follows*

FYI, the Cayenne also has a E* internal code. Actually, the Cayenne has several internal codes.

Cayenne parts use the "955" code from the traditional naming system.
    But Porsche also uses the E1 internal code for Porsche-specific parts, as opposed to the parts that are shared with VW (which use another naming scheme).

The coming of the Cayenne was such a revolution at Porsche that even the Porsche naming scheme is still trying to recover from the mess.
    For the time being, we just call the current generation Cayenne "Cayenne", and the next generation "Cayenne NF". Only Mr Wiedeking knows what the future is made of!

Panamera in Autoweek

click here for link to web page

Quote:
    Porsche's anticipated fourth model line has a name: Panamera. Registered by Porsche at the same time as the Cayman moniker it is applying to the upcoming Boxster-based coupe, the new name is expected to grace a concept version of the car, which insiders describe as a combination of coupe and sedan, at the Frankfurt motor show in September. ......

Re: Panamera in Autoweek

Thanks Gary .

The back and sides of the small pic (gm austin) and the front of the big pic with the 450hp cayenne or detuned cgt v10 and they have a winner!! First time i have seen a suicide door since the 60's lincoln.

Anyone want to try a photoshop or farina.

Quote:
    First time i have seen a suicide door since the 60's lincoln.

You mean you missed this bad boy

Champagne wishes and caviar dreams plus a bumpershoot in the door cavity.

Do you have any grey poupon?

tom

the Mazda Rx8 has suicide doors too...

http://sports.autoblog.com/entry/1234000233036091/

Are those suicide doors?

Quote:
    badbradphx said:
    http://sports.autoblog.com/entry/1234000233036091/

Are those suicide doors?

yes they are

Re: Panamera in Edmunds

click here for link to web page

Edmunds has about the same information but a little bigger photo. And .... no suicide doors!

erm...what an ugly photoshop... I'd rather not have seen that pic.. I'm glad Porsche is bringing out this model but I hope they steer well clear of any resemblance to the PS above...(no disrespect to the artist..just not my bag)

As for engines.. The V10 would be a little too much for the car IMO..its a cruiser not a out right sports car... I think the Cayenne's twin turbo V8 would do the trick..

I just don't think the 4-door Porsche will look like an elongated 911. IMHO it doesn't make any marketing sense. I'm sure it will be easily recognized as a Porsche (just don't know how), but, as usual, Porsche is behind the curve with these 4 door sports cars a la Infiniti, Mercedes, etc.

Quote:
    Carrageous said:
    RC,
    I've been generally supportive of this idea, but I find myself wondering now, with the news about the upcoming M5, whether or not Porsche can bring something to market that can lead the category. At least, with the Cayenne, there was nothing in that performance range.

I hate to think of Porsche making a "me-too" product that tries to be just as good as the 500-hp M5. Even if it's equal or slightly more desireable, they're in the position of being an imitator, something they've never been.

On the other hand if it looked like this...

D.

When I was in Germany and visited the factory, at the Porsche Centrum I got friendly with the sales manager. It was the time that Cayenne was announced so I possed the "why" question.
    He said that the decision was made to give the Porsche owners a choise. He said that a young driver in his 20's might get a used Porsche or a new Boxter. At this point he gets hooked on driving a Porsche ( he called it "infestation"). In his/her 30's now he/she may have gone through a couple of Porsches and probably a 911. Then they have a family and they sell the Porsche to get something practical for the family. That is where the Cayenne comes in. The loyal "infested" Porsche driver has a choice and then hopefully in his/her 40's/50's after the children are grown they will go back to a new 911. That simple...He said that now before the Cayenne the Porsche driver goes to adifferent brand because there is no choise therefore that loyal customer could be lost. His logic is sound. He certainly described me to a T! I started in my 20's with a poor old 924 and I'm on my 6th Porsche now in my 30's! Myself I saw clearly his point. With this logic a 4 door Porsche gives us the "infested" another choise! I'm certainly one of his customers for the 4 door! I simply dont like SUV's ( Nothings wrong with Cayenne BTW), never bought one, never will buy one regardless. My wife will not be caught dead on one either. However in a year or so with the hopefully young family on the way the need for me will be ever so present.. If a 4 door Porsche was out I would for sure try to pull the finances together to stay within the brand as I'm truly "infested".
    Make sense no?

When I was in Germany and visited the factory, at the Porsche Centrum I got friendly with the sales manager. It was the time that Cayenne was announced so I possed the "why" question.
    He said that the decision was made to give the Porsche owners a choise. He said that a young driver in his 20's might get a used Porsche or a new Boxter. At this point he gets hooked on driving a Porsche ( he called it "infestation"). In his/her 30's now he/she may have gone through a couple of Porsches and probably a 911. Then they have a family and they sell the Porsche to get something practical for the family. That is where the Cayenne comes in. The loyal "infested" Porsche driver has a choice and then hopefully in his/her 40's/50's after the children are grown they will go back to a new 911. That simple...He said that now before the Cayenne the Porsche driver goes to adifferent brand because there is no choise therefore that loyal customer could be lost. His logic is sound. He certainly described me to a T! I started in my 20's with a poor old 924 and I'm on my 6th Porsche now in my 30's! Myself I saw clearly his point. With this logic a 4 door Porsche gives us the "infested" another choise! I'm certainly one of his customers for the 4 door! I simply dont like SUV's ( Nothings wrong with Cayenne BTW), never bought one, never will buy one regardless. My wife will not be caught dead on one either. However in a year or so with the hopefully young family on the way the need for me will be ever so present.. If a 4 door Porsche was out I would for sure try to pull the finances together to stay within the brand as I'm truly "infested".
    Make sense no?

--------------------

My name is Jim and I am Porsche Infested ...

Actually I want a Panamera also, and if they solve the throttle lag in a Cayenne I would buy one. I could stand living with three different Porsches, and a also nifty Porsche Tractor if I lived on a farm
    ---------------------------------------------------

Porsche Infestation is good thing!

There's an article in todays FT Deutschland talking about the Panamera. It's in German and states the decision will be taken in July to build it as a rival to the Mercedes GST with a third row of seats. It's supposed to be almost as long as the Cayenne: http://www.ftd.de/ub/in/8242.html

Quote:
    neunelf said:
    There's an article in todays FT Deutschland talking about the Panamera. It's in German and states the decision will be taken in July to build it as a rival to the Mercedes GST with a third row of seats. It's supposed to be almost as long as the Cayenne: http://www.ftd.de/ub/in/8242.html

I'm not 100% sure your cited article is about the Panamera. It seems to me to be about a Cayenne line-extension into the car-like, three-row-seating market now occupied by the new Mercedes R-class, Chrysler Pacifica, and Ford Freestyle.

IIRC, the Panamera rumor mill has centered around something more like the Mercedes CLS; a "four-door coupe".

Perhaps the rumor mill has been mis-directed?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762188 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435217 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260449 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257505 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80921 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5318 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872094 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807487 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM