Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Tesla

Hilarity ensued. https://www.motor1.com/news/523663/modelx-versus-fiat-panda-cross/  Beaten by the much cheaper and majestically underpowered Fiat Panda Cross.  Car Wow should do the same series of tests against the Audi e-tron and the results would be more lopsided.  

Man the Model X is lousy. I highly recommend you get the Fiat folks. They are the perfect cars if you don’t like EVs. 

https://youtu.be/RRbgChhJFCs

https://youtu.be/gfWNRyqhRRM

Don’t forget to also recommend the Alfa and Porsche 

While testing … wonder why that’s not in the headline.  
    so glad oil fires smell like roses and are not toxic. 

Leawood911:

so glad oil fires smell like roses and are not toxic. 

SmileySmileySmiley

--

2016 Porsche 981 GT4 | Racing Yellow
    2018 Audi S6 Avant | Ibis White

Trying to think of a fire that does not produce toxic fumes

Still not like power blackouts have never killed anyone. As long as that is the event they are trying to prevent, then this seems pretty small time.

Leawood911:

https://youtu.be/RRbgChhJFCs

https://youtu.be/gfWNRyqhRRM

Don’t forget to also recommend the Alfa and Porsche 

Tried clicking your Alfa link, and the result seemed so Alfa like........

Renn Alfa.jpg

Here is something for the geeks. Fast forward past a long mess of intro music. 
    https://youtu.be/j0z4FweCy4M

If you think Tesla is just a car company after watching this I can’t help. 

Jason Torchinsky on Tesla, AI Day, and Level 2 ADAS. https://jalopnik.com/teslas-ai-day-event-did-a-great-job-convincing-me-theyr-1847526454

I prefer someone who tries and fails over someone who complains, ridicules and lacks imagination. Which type of person do you think makes the world a better place?

In other news - here is the new racetrack 5 miles from my family lake house.  
    https://youtu.be/R2sOoYFWp4I

https://youtube.com/shorts/bTXZEuvEnPQ

I don‘t know if this is the right Thread 

Itsme:

https://youtube.com/shorts/bTXZEuvEnPQ

I don‘t know if this is the right Thread 

Only if you can somehow blame Elon and not the driver. 

Of course it's Elon's fault.

He, like all corporation heads, knows American consumers are mostly stupid. They take stuff at face values.

That's why he called features in his cars Auto Pilot and Self Driving instead of something more descriptive to the actual function, say Advanced Cruise Control or Supervised Driving or something.

In modern terms these tactics are called clickbaits.

--

It comes from the way Congress names their Bills…

I’m back from a nice relaxing 150 mile drive from the lake. All of using that standard free hands on wheel drive itself other than that feature.  What a great name. 

Another nice EV SUV entering the luxury EV market. 

Tesla really needs to up their game in order to compete even against their own domestic competition.

--

Lol

Musk admits Tesla's latest self-driving software update 'not great'

The billionaire entrepreneur tweeted that the Full Self-Driving Beta version 9.2 is "actually not great imo (in my opinion), but Autopilot/AI team is rallying to improve as fast as possible."

"We're trying to have a single stack for both highway & city streets, but it requires massive NN (neural network) retraining."

Topspeed:

Musk admits Tesla's latest self-driving software update 'not great'

The billionaire entrepreneur tweeted that the Full Self-Driving Beta version 9.2 is "actually not great imo (in my opinion), but Autopilot/AI team is rallying to improve as fast as possible."

"We're trying to have a single stack for both highway & city streets, but it requires massive NN (neural network) retraining."

Maybe compare what they are doing and their approach to the competition.  Sandy Munroe's review of the Mach-e drive assist is hilarious.  For a bend on the highway they make you take over. Mind you this is already on a geo fenced highway. 
    So when Musk uses the term autopilot he is bashed and when he honestly speaks about his expectations and opinions he is bashed.  Keep in mind he has lofty goals and will likely never be happy. Which is kinda good news for consumers and stock holdings. 

CGX car nut:

Tesla hijinks and tomfoolery, with the anticipated results. 

https://iontb.com/two-dead-including-a-homeowner-after-vehicle-plows-through-palm-harbor-home/

https://www.thedrive.com/news/42265/watch-someone-crash-a-tesla-into-a-warehouse

Tragic. Very sad. Given the performance of the car it was inevitable. Even something I predicted would happen. We see this this with almost all high performance cars and of course also with slow cars with poor drivers. Just look at our own crazy crashes thread (perhaps you have not seen it)
    It is hard to engineer human error out of a car but Tesla has done more than any other car maker to move in that direction. Anyone looking at their safety record understands that simple fact. 
    Any death is one too many.  Pointless to try and exploit someone’s death to further some whacko narrative. 
    Before you claim I’m defending Tesla I will point out there is nothing to defend in this case.  

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/09/06/shell-electric-chargers-uk/

The first step to broaden the adoption of EVs is to improve the infrastructure. 

Should have be been done a long time ago. Any guess what plug standard they going to use? Industry standard ones or proprietary Tesla ones?

Shell to install 50,000 on-street EV chargers in the U.K. by 2025

Good news for those who don't have access to parking lots or structures with EV chargers

Royal Dutch Shell Plc is making a push to expand its network of electric vehicle chargers in the U.K. to drivers who don’t have private parking.

Shell’s Ubitricity unit will install 50,000 on-street charging posts by 2025, according to a statement published Wednesday. It already has about 3,600 chargers in the country in existing infrastructure like street lamps. The U.K.’s Climate Change Committee has said the country needs 150,000 public chargers by the middle of the decade.

The U.K. has banned the sale of new petrol and diesel cars from 2030, which will require a swift build out of the charging network. The easiest way to replenish a car battery is at home, but about two-thirds of households in cities and urban environments don’t have off-street parking, according to the National Audit Office. 

The U.K. government’s Office for Zero Emission Vehicles currently covers 75% of the cost of installing on-street chargers, and Shell is prepared to cover the remaining costs, subject to commercial terms, the company said. It didn’t provide a figure for the total cost of the project.

“As more and more people make the switch to electric, this is a great example of how private investment is being used alongside government support to ensure that our EV infrastructure is fit for the future,” Rachel Maclean, a U.K. transport minister, said in the statement. 

--

It would be interesting to see how many batteries they can make and how fast.  Charging standard is a huge question. It’s hard to make huge investments now when it is likely that in ten years everything will have changed. By then we may have 10% adoption and hopefully not outdated charging for 100% of it.  
    Personally I would never have an EV without home charging and once people have home charging they will use it 99-% of the time.  I fear these charging station will be very lonely. 

Leawood911:

It would be interesting to see how many batteries they can make and how fast.  Charging standard is a huge question. It’s hard to make huge investments now when it is likely that in ten years everything will have changed. By then we may have 10% adoption and hopefully not outdated charging for 100% of it.  
    Personally I would never have an EV without home charging and once people have home charging they will use it 99-% of the time.  I fear these charging station will be very lonely. 

Stop blindly repeating Elon and use your eyes to look around and brain to think a bit. Right now, battery production isn't the limiting factor. There are EVs of all brands sitting on lots everywhere. People just aren't buying EVs until they see a solution to their charging problem.

You are the lucky one to be able to charge at home.

Did you even read the article? 2/3 of people doesn't live somewhere where they can have private parking with charging. Public charging is the key. 

They have no choice but to park on the street. and with street lamps wiring powering the chargers, each of those street parking spot can have charging capability. 

Kansas isn't representative of most of the developed world. In major cosmopolitans like London, New York, SF, LA, HK, Tokyo, or even here in Vancouver, not everyone have have a detached home with private parking where they can install their own home charger. A lot don't even own their home, and most are living in apartments that may not even have parking garages, street parking  is the norm. A lot of these can't afford to buy a home. Switching to EV means they can save quite a bit on gasoline purchases. What's preventing them from switching is the infrastructure. The lack of it. This Shell pilot program is the first step. Now those that are stuck with street parking can buy and EV and have a spot to charge them while they are home for the night. 

In Elon's utopia, everyone on Earth has their own detached home with his Solar panels powering the house and a Tesla or two or these in the garage. Unfortunately, that's just a pipe dream from him and is far away from the real world. 

--

Major mind reading fail. I have no idea what Elon is thinking on the subject. Just going by my own Kansas experience and the way I see things in general.  Maybe my brain is not thinking clearly, I guess, but I do think on my own.  Consider my input comic relief if you like. 
    Stuff flows in the direction of least resistance and we can agree there are tons of homeowners with garages, the ability to charge, but no EV. Far more than we could possibly build cars for in the next decade.  Anecdotal testimony in articles aside.
    If I had an apartment with no charging having public chargers around would not make me want an EV at all.  It until I can charge it where I park most of the time. Sitting around waiting for a car to charge will be acceptable to only the last tiny minority - unless government forces EVs on us. Which is so wrong.  
    Btw the EVs not selling part is hilarious - maybe that is because some are crap or not competitive with even ICE cars.  They may be overpriced and also represent huge depreciation in the near future. Not all EVs are equal. Far from it. Anyway that is a separate argument from building superchargers.  One brand is always sold out.
     I still maintain that this early into the technology investors are not going to be too excited to invest in what may be outdated charging infrastructure in the next five years plus. 

It is fairly easy to upgrade electrical systems, so obsolete charger can evolve easily.

I am not sure what Nick wanted to say where he mentioned the street lighting able to power up the charger? That is far from being simple. Most of the street lighting is looped to others and adding a huge consumer like a charger in this loop would create a massive voltage drop and would make the street lights shutdown and the charger out of service. A street light is maximum 400W, a charger is several KW.

You would need to design the system from scratch and oversize the entire loop to be able to connect few chargers at the same time but then you would still be limited as there is no possibility to charge 30 cars in parallel unless a big transformer is at the corner. Chargers in the street aligned with parking space is a pipe dream.

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

I think he is intending to use the street lighting system in the same level 2 way like at home. Not DC fast charging. Keeping in mind that what is best is being able to charge where you generally park it overnight or for long periods. 

the-missile:

It is fairly easy to upgrade electrical systems, so obsolete charger can evolve easily.

I am not sure what Nick wanted to say where he mentioned the street lighting able to power up the charger? That is far from being simple. Most of the street lighting is looped to others and adding a huge consumer like a charger in this loop would create a massive voltage drop and would make the street lights shutdown and the charger out of service. A street light is maximum 400W, a charger is several KW.

You would need to design the system from scratch and oversize the entire loop to be able to connect few chargers at the same time but then you would still be limited as there is no possibility to charge 30 cars in parallel unless a big transformer is at the corner. Chargers in the street aligned with parking space is a pipe dream.

It is what's written in the article:

Shell’s Ubitricity unit will install 50,000 on-street charging posts by 2025, according to a statement published Wednesday. It already has about 3,600 chargers in the country in existing infrastructure like street lamps. The U.K.’s Climate Change Committee has said the country needs 150,000 public chargers by the middle of the decade.

And there is no need to align a charger for every parking spot. Not every car on the street is an EV, so one or two or three chargers per block could be good enough. There just needed to be 'some' chargers for residents to start off with. That's the very first step for mass EV adoption. 

Any modern EV is good enough for everyday usage. Range isn't an issue for people's daily usage, I think the worst range figure for a current EV is like 1250 miles or something for a e-MIni Smiley and that's already a range that most people won't even come close on a daily basis. 

Battery production is good enough for current consumption, only the most devoted Elon worshipper believes what he said about HIS production is constraint by his lack of meaningful battery output from his battery factory and scaled that to the whole EV market. My city, Vancouver, is the leading market for Teslas, no other city, state, or region sells more Tesla per capita than Vancouver, not even LA. Anyone who wants a Tesla can walk into a Tesla showroom and walk out with a Tesla after signing some papers and pay for the car. Zero wait time. Actually on a per capita basis, my city sells the most EVs in the world, think we are up to 10% of all new car sales are EVs right now. 

Outside of charging, i.e. the lack of convenient charging for the majority of population that don't have the luxury of home charging, there isn't a constraint on the demand for EVs. Improve the public charging network and voila, the major barrier for EV adoption is gone. 

--

Who pays for the public charging network?  There's already taxing issues from reduced fuel sales, which reduces road taxes in the States, so any public investment must come from the levying of additional taxes.  While the goal of the Left is to institute realtime use tax on vehicles, the implementation is without issues.  Don't count on a viable solution for at least a half decade to decade. 

Smiley Worst range for current EV is 1250 miles???  My model3 sucks. 
    Should we now divide all your stats by 10?  Just kidding. Could not resist. 

So the wait for Teslas, which on their website and extends to March ‘22 for some models, does not apply to Vancouver?  Perhaps you are also seeing some of their used Trades on the lot.  Btw people can only order from the website so I don’t see how going to any dealer helps unless you buy one of their used cars.  

I think you are mixing up DC fast charging with level 2 charging.  

Is it again required for you to accuse everyone who disagrees as worshiping Elon?  Can your statements not hold water without the threat of being labeled a cult member or worshiper?  It gets so old - and you are way smarter than that. 

I guess all these industry execs also worship Elon  

https://www.autoweek.com/news/a37079370/ev-battery-shortage/

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM