Crown

Board: Lamborghini Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Urus (SUV)

Joost:

You know, having car control is fine, and quite essential when you get into a hairy situation, and you could end up in one any time. However, for me there is another major factor which is being ignored here, and that is insight in traffic behavior. Like most of you, when driving on the highway, I can often predict whether a car in front of is going to overtake, or other situations. You learn how to "read" the circumstances. It takes a lot of time behind the wheel to develop this. It helps you estimate what you can and cannot do, where the limits are. There have been so many times that I was in traffic, and felt all the cars around me were a bit "jumpy", to agitated. You learn to back off a bit and to keep your distance, etc. Now all of this will not keep you out of danger, but it will prevent 90% of them. You can't avoid all situations though, and when you end up something "exciting", knowing your car at the limits can help.

So, I guess basic car control is 1, insight in traffic is 2, and only then knowledge of the car in extreme situations comes into play if you ask me. But then again; how much training on the limit should you have had for it to become second nature, so you can tap into that knowledge in a split-second situation? I think only very few people, the track enthusiasts, etc will ever reach that level.

Excellent post. Smiley Once behind the wheel, you should be in an anticipatory mindset. I have avoided many incidents by doing so. Also, it’s not a bad way to approach life.Smiley

--

The purpose of life is to enjoy the moment.

Isn't every good driver driving with an anticipatory mindset? Smiley This is actually something I learned on day one in driving school but you don't want to know how I forgot about everything I learned there very fast once I was behind the wheel of my own car. Smiley

Funny though, I had four car accidents in my life (one of them by my own but it wasn't my fault, drunk driver and all) and in three of them, I was driving as a passenger with a friend. So I advised my kids to avoid driving with others as much as possible. I prefer my kids to be the driver. All the time.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

Joost:

You know, having car control is fine, and quite essential when you get into a hairy situation, and you could end up in one any time. However, for me there is another major factor which is being ignored here, and that is insight in traffic behavior. Like most of you, when driving on the highway, I can often predict whether a car in front of is going to overtake, or other situations. You learn how to "read" the circumstances. It takes a lot of time behind the wheel to develop this. It helps you estimate what you can and cannot do, where the limits are. There have been so many times that I was in traffic, and felt all the cars around me were a bit "jumpy", to agitated. You learn to back off a bit and to keep your distance, etc. Now all of this will not keep you out of danger, but it will prevent 90% of them. You can't avoid all situations though, and when you end up something "exciting", knowing your car at the limits can help.

So, I guess basic car control is 1, insight in traffic is 2, and only then knowledge of the car in extreme situations comes into play if you ask me. But then again; how much training on the limit should you have had for it to become second nature, so you can tap into that knowledge in a split-second situation? I think only very few people, the track enthusiasts, etc will ever reach that level.

This is why mixing real drivers and computer programs on the same road will never work. Computer programs can never predict those, no matter how 'smart' the AI is.

Humans are predictably unpredictable. It takes another human to understand another. And still get it wrong sometimes. 

--

Mithras:

As someone said further upstream, karting is a wonderful way to get seattime and learn driving dynamics. At 16 I was also on the track in my dad's street car learning higher performance driving. More than anything else it taught me that nothing on the street is ever as fast as the track can be so there is no reason to speed or do silly things on the street when I can go as fast as I can on the track. 

That was me. And yes, it creates excellent situational awareness especially since kart racing involves many unexpected moves by opponents. Add helmets, which enhance the need to keep track of opposing drivers with limited vision, and the experience is very helpful . Next thing you know you anticipate all types of crazy moves by drivers on the street.  Accidents happen but on a small scale and in a way to be good lessons. Especially good when they watch others make mistakes and crash. Learning from others mistakes is always best. 
    If you can manage traffic in a kart race then you are off to a good start. We now have electric carts with much better acceleration and speed. Good for future EV speeds. Just saying. 

I enjoy watching YouTube crash videos. Am I terrible?  When I do I always see a way to avoid the situation- these are good to watch with kids and explain the situations and how to avoid similar outcomes. 

Yes, watching YouTube crash videos helps experienced drivers to anticipate dangerous situations even better...at least in my opinion. Not sure however if beginners profit from them, I may be wrong but I think the sensationalism is more profound in beginners than people who already drive for 30 years. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

RC:

Yes, watching YouTube crash videos helps experienced drivers to anticipate dangerous situations even better...at least in my opinion. Not sure however if beginners profit from them, I may be wrong but I think the sensationalism is more profound in beginners than people who already drive for 30 years. Smiley

True. Much is for clicks. However I prefer to give them as much exposure and experience as possible. I hate asking myself after an accident if there was some lesson or advice I missed. My eldest hydroplaned off a highway thinking she must maintain a minimum speed. New tires for her convertible Mustang were in the shop awaiting her car later that week. I should have told her not to exceed conditions and or gotten her old tires off sooner. In the end there is always second guessing. Did I miss something?  So I simply check all boxes. I still teach them when they are in the car with me. I can be a dick on a road trip. Go figure. ( no I did not ask Nick to signal when he gave me that awesome drive!) Smiley

Leawood911:
    RC:

True. Much is for clicks. However I prefer to give them as much exposure and experience as possible. I hate asking myself after an accident if there was some lesson or advice I missed. My eldest hydroplaned off a highway thinking she must maintain a minimum speed. New tires for her convertible Mustang were in the shop awaiting her car later that week. I should have told her not to exceed conditions and or gotten her old tires off sooner. In the end there is always second guessing. Did I miss something?  So I simply check all boxes. I still teach them when they are in the car with me. I can be a dick on a road trip. Go figure. ( no I did not ask Nick to signal when he gave me that awesome drive!) Smiley

My achilles heal.Smiley

--

The purpose of life is to enjoy the moment.

nberry:
    Leawood911:
    RC:

My achilles heal.Smiley

I can confirm, he does know how to use them Smiley 

Enmanuel:
    nberry:
    Leawood911:
    RC:

My achilles heal.Smiley

I can confirm both of you are real and great people!  Best part of rennteam is the chance to meet 

Leawood911:
    Enmanuel:
    nberry:
    Leawood911:
    RC:

My achilles heal.Smiley

I can confirm both of you are real and great people!  Best part of rennteam is the chance to meet 

Smiley

CGX car nut:

No matter how mature you think your child is as a teenager, they aren’t. The average male’s brain isn’t mature until age 25.  

That was my case, I wasn't a good driver in my early 20s but I was much better in my late 20s. Every day I can see young drivers at 20-23 years of age making the same mistakes I used to make when I was at their age.

I just know one thing if I would haven driven the cars I own now at my early 20th I would not be alive any more. There is no way that as 20-25 year old I would have controled myself.

JR-550:

I just know one thing if I would haven driven the cars I own now at my early 20th I would not be alive any more. There is no way that as 20-25 year old I would have controled myself.

Agreed. I am still thinking about my decision to get my son a 150 hp Audi A3 sedan, this is a hybrid and accelerates quite fast (0-100 kph in 8.2 seconds). He just told me that he wants just a safe car, he doesn't care which one but if I get him a Smart, he will kill me. Smiley Smiley

--

A few rumors about the Urus:

1. Urus Sport expected with shorter body, way over 700 hp (Lamborghini is waiting for the final Ferrari SUV power figure indecision), lower weight and highly sophisticated chassis. This thing is supposed to be the fastest SUV (on the Nordschleife) in the world. Rumored price tag? Close or slightly over 400k EUR. Yes, you are reading correctly.

2. Current Urus probably won't get any facelift or power bump. Just a few improvements under the hood and some software updates.

3. No hybrid in the Urus.

4. Next Urus generation goes fully electric.

--

Sophisticated chassis almost implies that the Urus will use an application of Audi's active suspension currently used on the Audi A/S 8.  

CGX car nut:

Sophisticated chassis almost implies that the Urus will use an application of Audi's active suspension currently used on the Audi A/S 8.  

They will certainly make sure it will be very fast...on the track. Does it make sense? Probably not. Smiley

--

Makes as much sense as an overtuned Jeep V8... oh, wait! angryindecision

--

2016 Porsche 981 GT4 | Racing Yellow
    2018 Audi S6 Avant | Ibis White

bluelines:

Makes as much sense as an overtuned Jeep V8... oh, wait! angryindecision

No high powered SUV makes sense, they are just fun. Smiley

--

RC: No high powered SUV makes sense, they are just fun. 

Exactly Smiley . I heard the rumour on the Sport as well but I think introduction is delayed to 2022 Smiley.

crayphile:

Exactly Smiley . I heard the rumour on the Sport as well but I think introduction is delayed to 2022 Smiley.

Lamborghini waits for Ferrari to introduce their SUV first...they want to have more power. Smiley Smiley At least this is the rumor.

--

RC:
    crayphile:

Lamborghini waits for Ferrari to introduce their SUV first...they want to have more power. Smiley Smiley At least this is the rumor.

They are both waiting to see about your SUV tune. 

Lamborghini just completed its 15,000th Urus.  That’s a bittersweet achievement as it spells economic success for the Urus but makes Lamborghini less of a sports car manufacturer.  

https://media.lamborghini.com/English/LATEST-NEWS/automobili-lamborghini-celebrates-the-15-000th-urus/s/d334194c-202e-4d60-b249-0425ac08d9c4

Lamborghini Urus achieves a new production record

20,000 units in four years: the most produced model in the shortest time 

Sant’Agata Bolognese 7 June 2022 – Automobili Lamborghini adds a new record to its list with its Super SUV Urus, as the best-selling model in the shortest time ever. Since its market debut in 2018, 20,000 units have been produced, setting sales records year on year. The twenty-thousandth Urus, in Viola Mithras with black calipers and panoramic roof, comes off the production line today, destined for a customer in Azerbaijan.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/17/24 7:48 AM
    GnilM
    661367 1775
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    400974 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    254570 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    229027 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    59375 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4374 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

853344 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    761480 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM