Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: [2021] Formula 1

Some noise again about future possible VAG entry into F1 (engine supplier). Very high level meeting over the last two weeks in Austria.

The F1 app was hacked and whoever did it decided to have some fun with it. 54E13ECB-B4AD-4EE6-9690-22DD73166FE3.jpeg

OMG, what a race by Norris!! Put him in the Red Bull and and Max might be in trouble. Talent wise they are on par. He got more out of the McLaren than Max got out of the Red Bull however. But then again Max was on cruise control since the restart, he was maybe driving at 90% if not less for the whole race. 

Russell, what a racer. Moves he made defending against Alonso......kiss Get him in a competitive car and he could challenge fro the driver title. 

First penalty, between Norris/Perez, I don't agreed with, they never touched. 

Second penalty Perez/Leclerc, definitely, Perez hit Leclerc.

Third penalty, Perez Leclerc again, definitely, he turned into Leclerc at the exit. While he was dealing with oversteering there, there is still no excuse.

A pity Ricciardo let up after being passed by Sainz, had he stayed with Sainz to the end he would likely have P6 with Perez's 10 seconds penalty. That's on McLaren's pit wall, they should have known it would have been very close with the penalty and get Ricciardo to push to the end even when it was the last lap. 

With the car reset come next year, we might have a 4 way fight for the driver title, Max in the Red Bull, Norris in the McLaren, Lewis in the Mercedes and Leclerc in the Ferrari. Might add Russell too if he gets the other Mercedes seat. 

That was fun seeing Norris and Russell interact in the post race interview, they had genuine friendship. Think Norris is universally liked in the paddock and fans. Very different than other drivers.

--

Yeah, entertaining race to see! Max being (one of) the strongest drivers in the best car… that wasn’t too exciting, but happy with the result. A pity that the cars are such a big factor, I would love to see Max, Lewis, Lando, Charles and George compete with equalil(ish) cars.

The midfield was so entertaining again!

What happened with Kimi and Seb?!? I guess Kimi was looking at his steering wheel and didn’t realize Seb was there.

And Bottas…! He looked so inimpressed… I guess he can no longer hide the fact that he lost his seat for next year already…

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

Just when I was hoping that we will have a tight fight this season... all hopes for that gone within the last two races...yes... How did Mercedes lose so much ground and RedBull gained like crazy.... So this is going to be another boring season... 

Honda made a big jump in performance, combined that with Red Bull benefiting more on the floor change, not to mention the cost cap preventing Mercedes from spending more money to improve their car AND the looming reset of car rules next year. Perfect storm so to speak.

Look at it this way, Max is going to cruise to his first title this year, but next year should be very competitive among the brands and with good fights.

--

Silverstone will be the yardstick as to whether MB are a bit behind or a long way behind.

James Alison spoke to the F1 Nation podcast and there are upgrades coming.

I am not prepared to write off MB yet but it does look ominous.

Kimi just doesn't give a crap. He knew what he was doing Smiley

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

991 GT3.2 pick up April/May 2018. ( Hairy Chest Spec ).

Vauxhall Zafira 1.6 Exclusive pick up June 2013. ( Shit Box )

Rennteam Hairy Chest Advisor.

DJM48:

Silverstone will be the yardstick as to whether MB are a bit behind or a long way behind.

James Alison spoke to the F1 Nation podcast and there are upgrades coming.

I am not prepared to write off MB yet but it does look ominous.

Nominal gap is about 0.3 sec a lap everywhere. That's a big gap to fill. At best Mercedes could find maybe half that.

Red Bull has great mechanics grip on top of the the better diffuser downforce, that's the reason they can run a more streamline rear wing for less drag and higher top speed. 

Mercedes' floor can't generate enough downforce so they had to run a more draggy wing to make up the difference and that hurt their top speed. Only way to solve is either more power, which is not likely, or less drag all around the car without hurting the downforce. Only saving grace for Mercedes is that they are better on tire wear, but that also means they are slower in switching on the tires. 

On top, Red Bull's new engine lubricant is unlocking more power for their unit. Technically it isn't 'more power', but less power loss from friction. 

Mercedes is stuck between a rock and a hard place right now. That new floor regulation really really screwed them over.

--

Whoopsy:

Honda made a big jump in performance, combined that with Red Bull benefiting more on the floor change, not to mention the cost cap preventing Mercedes from spending more money to improve their car AND the looming reset of car rules next year. Perfect storm so to speak.

Look at it this way, Max is going to cruise to his first title this year, but next year should be very competitive among the brands and with good fights.

Yes you are right, but I didnt expect that and I am very surprised... seems that we will have to wait for next year, as the combination RedBull/Max will be very difficult to beat this year... seems that Ham also has the same feeling and that would be the reason that he extended his contract so early... He needs to get his 8th title... he want to be on top and dosnt want to share this record with Schumi

Alonso and Russell's Epic Duel

kiss 

So word is that Gasly has been given permission to talk to other teams. He could be on the move, but where?

If Red Bull let him talk, that means he isn't going back up to the main team. 

Mercedes doesn't have room for him. That seat is most probably Russell's.

Ferrari neither.

Nor do McLaren. 

Gasly wouldn't want to be driving for a back marker, so Haas, Williams would be out. Same with Alfa Romeo. Unless someone pays him really big bucks, which means Williams will be out again. 

Aston Martin could be an option, if they cut Junior and replace him with a better driver. 

Alpine got a full house, they just resigned Ocon and unless Alonso got bored and retires there isn't an empty seat.

And we are right back to where it started, Alpha Tauri. There isn't room in a 'better' team for him to move up. Heck, even going to Alpine would be a backward move. 

--

Maybe that’s the reason they allowed him to talk? Because they knew there is no real alternative?

--

I like it...a real 30 minute race with no pit stops and pit strategy and no tire management.

This is interesting! 

2022 car:

1. It’s been designed specifically to promote better racing
    2. The car will feature over-wheel winglets for the first time – and wheel covers are back!
    3. The car will feature 18” wheels with low-profile tyres for the first time
    4. The front wing and nose concept have been completely re-thought
    5. An aero feature from the 70s is back! (sort of)
    6. The rear wing features new ‘rolled tips’
    7. It will use the same power unit as 2021
    8. Cars will run on more sustainable fuel
    9. Safety has been at the forefront of the design
    10. The 2022 car has been put through over 7,500 simulations to get to this point

I had a suspicious feelings that next year even with the new car, the Red Bulls will still be the car to beat.

Christian Horner out-maneuvered everyone else when he successfully campaigned to have the engine development freeze just as their own engine peaked. Their engine progress didn't happened overnight, he knew their timeline perfectly, so now their engine advantage is locked in. That advantage will last until 2025. When more new rules come into play. 

I think F1 should campaign their own car. Do a guest driver entry each race. Maybe even do a rotation of engines so every manufacturers has to supply an engine to the guest car. or have the guest car as a test bed for potential engine entries, Audi/Porsche comes to mind. 

--

Hmmm i think what we see this year is that the Honda engine is more or less on parr with the Mercedes. It just seems they have their mechanical grip & aero working really well, which is what will change dramatically. So yeah, Red Bull might have the a competitive engine, but they'll start with the same clean sheet as Mercedes will, giving them both good chances imo.

--

Mercedes always had the higher drag car as compared to the Red Bulls, they had used the horsepower advantage to power through that. 

The cut floor for 2021 hurt their under car downforce production and they had to run a even higher drag upper package to compensate. Red Bulls however did enough with their under car downforce production and hence they get to keep their low drag upper package, combined with increased horsepower output from the Honda engine, they got the upper hand. Had Christian not insisted on a engine freeze, Mercedes could have jacked up their horsepower to compensate for the new floor. As it stands right now, the Mercedes car can't be salvaged. The only way would be to copy Red Bull and develop new engine oil to free up horsepower, which they badly needed. 

--

Lando with mediums, Lewis with softs.

Qualifying soon.

The trick diffuser from McLaren is showing it's strength.

On another note, the segment with the McLaren boys are fun to watch, on par with that time Mercedes did with theirs. 

--

Whoopsy:

The trick diffuser from McLaren is showing it's strength.

On another note, the segment with the McLaren boys are fun to watch, on par with that time Mercedes did with theirs. 

It is a nice mixup of cars and drivers. Sprint will be interesting to watch. Not happy about giving points for that though. 

Russell in Q3! kissangel

Only 0.007s slower than Perez...

Forget about Max, forget about Lewis, I reckoned Russell is the driver with the most talent out there.

A freaking Williams have no business hanging out in Q3. Russell got that car up there twice now.

Red Bull probably wanted to sign him, but that would greatly upset Max as he would threatened Max's #1 status there.

Mercedes needs to sign him for sure. Lewis won't be around forever, this is the twilight of his career already, and Russell  would be the perfect protege to learn race craft under Lewis. 

--

Russell 8th.

Whoopsy:

Forget about Max, forget about Lewis, I reckoned Russell is the driver with the most talent out there.

A freaking Williams have no business hanging out in Q3. Russell got that car up there twice now.

Red Bull probably wanted to sign him, but that would greatly upset Max as he would threatened Max's #1 status there.

Mercedes needs to sign him for sure. Lewis won't be around forever, this is the twilight of his career already, and Russell  would be the perfect protege to learn race craft under Lewis. 

Being chauvinistic as I am, I recon Max would have driven the Williams to Q3 as well... SmileySmiley

--

Fantastic job by George kiss

Will be great to see him get a chance with a top team - hopefully next year. Aside from his driving skill he also comes across and interviews really well. A great package when you think of sponsors etc..

--

2019 911 GT3 RS,1964 Type 1

DaveGordon:

Fantastic job by George kiss

Will be great to see him get a chance with a top team - hopefully next year. Aside from his driving skill he also comes across and interviews really well. A great package when you think of sponsors etc..

I was thinking the same thing while watching the video of the drivers commenting on the new 2022 car. He is very well spoken.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/16/24 3:13 PM
    watt
    754303 1797
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431218 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258777 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255714 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79725 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5260 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868693 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    802492 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM