Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: I DID IT!! Ordered my Carrera S today! Check out the SPE

How much more would I spend if I get the full leather?

$3315.00. Sounds like alot, but it transforms and upscales the interior, and after all that's where you'll be spending most of your time with the car. Stitched leather on dash, center stack, door panels, armrests, etc.etc... I'm surprised your dealer didn't have a full-leather 911 on their floor. Once you settle in and look around, jumping into a standard interior is very plastic-y. Just one of those things that winds my watch, the purists will holler "who needs that panty-waisted leather nonsense blah blah...", but when I'm dropping this much dough, I want to feel like I'm riding 1st class, not coach. Head back over to your dealer and compare.

Re: I DID IT!! Ordered my Carrera S today! Check out the SPECS

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Dump the thick steering wheel. It looks like a wheel for a person who has an orthopedic problem.

Oh come on, Nick. Are your hands the same size as Mario Andretti's?

If one has even slightly larger-than-average hands, a thicker wheel makes steering the car so much more enjoyable.

After a short time driving my TT cab with the CPZ thicker steering wheel option, I quickly got an after-market version from Gert to put on my (former) TT coupe. It was worth twice what I paid for it in driving satisfaction.

Have you ever tried one?

Yes and did not like it. Also, I can tell the difference between standard size and orthopedic.

Ben tells me your car is on the vessel. I am envious. Hopefully the weather will be good for its debut and your able to experience some spirited driving.It is a "kick"

I have heard this comment about the wheel from other boards: they say the thing is too thick for "normal" use.

It's troublesome that Porsche would have buyers order stuff they've never seen or felt. Oh well, new model years are stressful for everybody.

FWIW.

LOL!!! Big hands, big feet, I'm sure that the thick wheel doesn't feel as "natural" to some as it does to others!

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    LOL!!! Big hands, big feet, I'm sure that the thick wheel doesn't feel as "natural" to some as it does to others!

My wife (5'0") thinks the CPZ wheel rim is a touch too fat for her taste. I (6'4"), however, think that the standard wheel feels like a hula-hoop by comparison. I love the thick wheel!!!

One of the Porsche execs in Atlanta with whom I'm acquainted told me he would never order another Porsche without the thicker steering wheel option. He felt it so much enhanced his driving experience that it was a no-brainer. He's about 5'9", IIRC.

YMMV

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Quote:
    69bossnine said:

One of the Porsche execs in Atlanta with whom I'm acquainted told me he would never order another Porsche without the thicker steering wheel option. He felt it so much enhanced his driving experience that it was a no-brainer. He's about 5'9", IIRC.

YMMV

hehehe what do you think he would say? No don't order it! Also, if it is that good and does enhance the driving experience why not make it standard?

The steering wheel is ugly enough as is. Making it more bold looking only enhances the ugliness.

Quote:
    The steering wheel is ugly enough as is. Making it more bold looking only enhances the ugliness.

Well, you're just a form before function sort of guy Nick, which is fine. Most Porsche enthusiasts are on the other end of that spectrum.

I have the multi function wheel and have noticed it is quite thin. However, I have to say I like it - you definitely feel more in touch with the car and it's very easy to make small adjustments (eg when you're drifting the back end out... )

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    I didn't get the NAV. It's 100% modular, so you can "plug" it into your car at any later date if you so desire. But I've got other cars with NAV, and you simply never use it, and it takes longer to plot a map on NAV than it does to simply grab a map out of the glovebox, or an atlas from behind the seat.

Adding Nav is not a simple "plug and play"...It's a bit over 3 hrs labor to install, with a bunch of wireing to do. It will cost a bunch more to add it after the fact.
    Nav beats using a Map or Atlas hands down, particularly when you are in un-familliar locations.
    Other benifits while on the road are its POI feature... how far to the next: Gas Station, Rest Area, Hotel and the like.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    hehehe what do you think he would say?

Nick,

Why question the motives of others since you don't like others to question yours?

As far as I could discern, he was speaking in his "private" voice, as an honest car enthusiast. I have superb sales resistance and I detected no attempt to wear his "Porsche company hat" while this part of the discussion was under way.

Porsche marketing probably chose not to make the thicker wheel standard so that La Jolla Ferrari-driving lawyers the size of Teo Fabi, as well as petite women, would be able to touch their thumbs to their forefingers when gripping the wheel. No pain, more gain

You know, it's the old story about Goldilocks and the three steering wheels.

About the rear wiper in Florida... wouldn't that be useful with all the heavy rain they get over there?

Comments from chef to waiter

Wiper: if you're in traffic a lot when it rains, other wise in FL don't bother.

Thicker wheel: agree with Nick - you need to wear gloves and it takes away from road feel

Full leather: yes! But add the leather rear center console. the standard plastic one feels very cheap when it sits next to full leather.

Even though I'm not an SY fan I would get yellow belts and and maybe a SY rear center console.

Enjoy!

OK I want the XPA, how can I get one now that I've got my car. $800 if you order with the car, that's a semi bargain for Porsche.

XPA is the aerokit right?

XPA I think is the extra thick steering wheel.

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    XPA is the aerokit right?

Here is XPA from the 997 order guide:

XPA Thicker Steering Wheel-Leather
    452 453
    460 459
    451 XPV
    Thicker 3-spoke sports steering wheel in
    smooth leather.
    Conflicts With
    Must Pick One
    Requires
    $800 $800
    452 453
    460 459

Phil

Yes, thicker steering wheel. I think the wheel on my wife's Honda is thicker than the stock 997.

Re: I DID IT!! Ordered my Carrera S today! Check out the SPECS

congrads!!!! Great great great car!!!

Fantastic , a little daring to go for the yellow though

2 comments!!

1) Did you consider speed yellow gauge instruments?
    and by the way when you speced for black gauges did you ask if the sports chrono will remain silver of black?

I know that when you opt for color gauges the sports chrono remains as original in base model black and the S silver.

So i dont know what happenes if you order black gauges.
    For the history my dealer knew nothing about this detail. i was suspicious after seeing some pics of special 997's
    And i was right at the end

2)

(AP) Black Sport Seats

- (P77) Sport seats

WHAT 'S THE DIFFERENCE?

Quote:
    Ed J said:
    I have the multi function wheel and have noticed it is quite thin. However, I have to say I like it - you definitely feel more in touch with the car and it's very easy to make small adjustments (eg when you're drifting the back end out... )

This is one of the things I'm still trying to decide with my 987 S order. Either the multi-function one (I have ordered PCM) or the sports one. I'm kinda short (167 cm, 5.5 feet) so the thick one might be too thick. And I have yet to see a picture of it.

Quote:
    Steven Martins said:
    Quote:
    Ed J said:

This is one of the things I'm still trying to decide with my 987 S order. Either the multi-function one (I have ordered PCM) or the sports one. I'm kinda short (167 cm, 5.5 feet) so the thick one might be too thick. And I have yet to see a picture of it.

I have to put my vote in for the multifunction steering wheel...especially if you get the GSM phone module. Very well thought out multifunction wheel IMHO.

Color of dials

On an S when you order Sport Chrono and black dials, all dials are in black.

Re: Color of dials

Quote:
    Le Chef said:

Great to know that! I didnt want to have the chrono clock with while the rest of the panel is black...

Re: Color of dials

Quote:
    Le Chef said:

Have you seen a 997S live w/these specs? Reason I ask is that PCNA was wrong re: what 996TTS w/optional red dials and storage cmpt lid inscribed w/"Turbo S" would actually have in real-world production....despite charging $1500ish for these options, P was shipping these 996TTS w/"Turbo" inscribed, not "TurboS"....so in the search for greater margins, wouldn't be surprised to see P not offer specifically colored Chrono dials....though I'm sure they'll be happy to charge handsomely for the colored dials option no matter what they actually produce and deliver....

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/16/24 3:13 PM
    watt
    754537 1797
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431302 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258804 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255760 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79767 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5262 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868760 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    802591 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM