Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

CGT 1st drive report

I only drove it straight home last night from the dealer. It was about 46F and no rain or snow so I took my chances

I thought it was really easy to creep away from rest using only the clutch to start off. I drove it through the dealer service building and out into the street that way.

I was so wound up that I think I was in the middle of an adrenalin crash on the way home! My wife was with me and we were a bit pressed for time to get home and get our daughters fed and packed off to their evening activities.

I stalled it once, just after exiting the dealer's lot, restarting from a wait at a traffic light. That was the only time. I mostly used the idle servo to launch without giving it any gas. It was getting dark and there were lots of "pilot fish" swarming around me in traffic, so I wanted to take it very easy while getting used to the control feel.

I don't think the clutch will be a problem, but I have to experiment a bit with my choice of shoes

The ones I had on made me very concious of how wide the soles were and there were a few moments of concern having my shoes overlap the adjacent pedals a wee bit. The pedal cluster is a little more cramped than I remember from sitting in the Geneva show car, and I wish the dead-pedal on the left was about 25 mm more to the left. But, I think I can educate myself out of this little discovery.

I'll have to get some extended time to play around before I can settle on the right combination of technique and footware. I wear 12 E shoes. That's kind of wide, so the sole style will require some thought

My teenage daughters were surprised by how nice the car looks in the flesh. They had been giving me all sorts of crap about how the car was going to WAY ugly when it showed up. They had formed this judgement from pictures they had seen. The oldest is a confessed "arty type" and was the most surprised by seeing the real deal.

One more note: I can't find the rear roll-stiffness adjustment as picutured in the service summary book. I don't know if something has changed in my car compared to the CGT pictured in the book, or if I just don't know where to look. More on this later.

Here's an interesting feature of my car:

Re: CGT 1st drive report

"#911" Can't wait for more pics and reports....

Thanks Mike nice write up . "911" what are the odds? very cool.

Nice Number! :P

You are so lucky!!!! More pictures i hope coming soon

Thanks Mike. Looking forward to more driving reports and photos.

Quote:
    Carrera_GTcrazy said:

You are so lucky!!!!

It has been said that luck is formed when preparation meets opportunity

Right after I knew that my CGT order was "in the system" with a production slot arranged, I asked PCNA if they would be so kind as to tell me my sequence number. It seemed at the time that European customers were being given this sort of info as a common courtesy.

Atlanta replied that it was not possible to guarantee the sequence number because they were not assigned in strict build order.

After pondering this curious statement for only a moment, I took the oportunity to ask if #0911 had been assigned as yet. They answered, "It used to be."

I said, "Huh?"

They replied, "It's available again. Would you like to have it?"

The picture shows the result.

If one doesn't ask, one can't get "yes" for the answer.

LOL, You goofed on number. You know in your heart that it shoulda been 914.

Look at those side windows again, same shape !

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

I don't think so - I think more like 917

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Quote:
    Carrera_GTcrazy said:

You are so lucky!!!!

It has been said that luck is formed when preparation meets opportunity

There is no such thing as luck .. Simply, just Preparation meeting opportunity.

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

I don't think so - I think more like 917

W8MM,

CGT #0911
    "How ironic," my brother quipped when I showed him the photo.

Looks like you can't seem to avoid the teasing with the new bus. First, your daughters, and now we, Rennteamers, teasing and saying you messed up on the sequence number. LOL!
    Does your wife have anything to add?

Anyway, thanks for the 1st drive report and regarding the rear stabilizer adjustment, please turn to page 4.16 in the Service Information 2004 Technik Introduction manual. On this page you'll find a white arrow pointing to one of three adjustment holes in figure 4_49_04.

Thanks Mike Great to hear your impressions, keep em' coming

This is why I love coming on Rennteam

Congratulations man

Quote:
    MAVERICK said:
    ... regarding the rear stabilizer adjustment, please turn to page 4.16 in the Service Information 2004 Technik Introduction manual. On this page you'll find a white arrow pointing to one of three adjustment holes in figure 4_49_04.

Thanks, Mav.

I now realize that the "business end" of the sway-bar "drop link" is buried under some carbon fiber shrouds underneath, and aft of, the trailing edge of the deck lid opening. I can only see the forward 3/4 of the shock/spring assembly from where I was standing last night. The uniball-ended tube that connects the suspension bell crank to the sway bar disappears under the carbon fiber dress panel behind the engine.

This picture must have been taken with the rear of the car partially disassembled:

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

Well, you know, I like 914s quite a bit. I briefly considered a vanity license plate for the CGT, "914 V TEN"

thanks mike for keeping us updated! it's like collecting the car myself!

Quote:
    I'll have to get some extended time to play around before I can settle on the right combination of technique and footware. I wear 12 E shoes. That's kind of wide, so the sole style will require some thought

a true oldschool supercar!! can only be operated with narrow italian loafers

Quote:
    W8MM said:"914 V TEN"

that one would get my vote

Did you get any vanity plates in the end?

Quote:
    W8MM said:

Well, you know, I like 914s quite a bit. I briefly considered a vanity license plate for the CGT, "914 V TEN"

I'g go for a " 980 " vanity plate .

Quote:
    MKW said:
    Quote:
    W8MM said:

I'g go for a " 980 " vanity plate .

I got RIP NZO but have decided to pass on it. Truth is, I'm kinda worried if I get any vanity plate, it will be easier for other drivers with cell phones to remember when calling the police

In that case I would get a 8 letter/digit combination on the plate which combines arbitrarily 0's & o's, or 5's & S's, or B's and 8's etc such as 0o00o0o0, 5SS5S55S, B8BB8B88

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Did you get any vanity plates in the end?

I transferred the plates from my 996TT coupe to the CGT.

They're vanity plates of a sort. My university logo with initials for my degree and 2 digits for the year of graduation. Not that exciting.

Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    Truth is, I'm kinda worried if I get any vanity plate, it will be easier for other drivers ... to remember ...

There are too many weirdos nowadays on the roads - that's why I haven't had a vanity plate since 1983.

I suspect you may become a bare foot driver. Enjoy the serious race machine and drive defensively because of the lookey loo's. I am envious!

Quote:
    nberry said:
    I suspect you may become a bare foot driver. Enjoy the serious race machine and drive defensively because of the lookey loo's. I am envious!

you back? hope you remember saturday.

how about "Luv2XLR8"

or better yet "NVME"

Quote:
    nberry said:

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement

My wife and I were talking about the ingress/egress challenges presented by the CGT. I told here that I thought it was a bit athletic to gracefully mount and dismount from the car. She said,"Well, ........ it's a race car."

She also thinks, "It sounds just like the 962 (from inside the cabin)." And, I have to agree that the gear-driven cams make a high-pitched whirring noise that is quite familiar. It really has a lot of exotic sounds and feelings no matter what speed it's being driven.

The snatch and rattle of the gear box at idle is attention getting. And, I don't know if I'll ever get used to the gnashing sound of the drive train (transmission?) between idle and 2,000 rpm. Above 2,000, it behaves itself from a sonic perspective.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    In that case I would get a 8 letter/digit combination on the plate which combines arbitrarily 0's & o's, or 5's & S's, or B's and 8's etc such as 0o00o0o0, 5SS5S55S, B8BB8B88

I'd seen plate with the combination of '8' and 'B', 'W' and 'M' here...

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement

My wife and I were talking about the ingress/egress challenges presented by the CGT. I told here that I thought it was a bit athletic to gracefully mount and dismount from the car. She said,"Well, ........ it's a race car."

She also thinks, "It sounds just like the 962 (from inside the cabin)." And, I have to agree that the gear-driven cams make a high-pitched whirring noise that is quite familiar. It really has a lot of exotic sounds and feelings no matter what speed it's being driven.

The snatch and rattle of the gear box at idle is attention getting. And, I don't know if I'll ever get used to the gnashing sound of the drive train (transmission?) between idle and 2,000 rpm. Above 2,000, it behaves itself from a sonic perspective.

Mike, wait until she hears the engine with the top off. You may have a permanent passenger/co-driver.

Quote:
    CarreraGtRacer said:
    or better yet "NVME"

Might as well paste a " You Suck " sticker on the bumper , while you're at it , and go shopping at WalMart .

Thanks, Mike. Can't wait to hear more.

As for the shoes, I'm a size 12, too. go buy some bowling shoes and you'll be fine. If those don't work, buy some rock climbing shoes.

D.

Quote:
    Carrageous said:
    Thanks, Mike. Can't wait to hear more.

As for the shoes, I'm a size 12, too. go buy some bowling shoes and you'll be fine. If those don't work, buy some rock climbing shoes.

D.

What about driving shoes...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762796 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435557 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260616 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257642 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80968 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5322 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872472 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807862 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM