Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Leaking driver side axle boot

Disclaimer - I know nothing about how this works ðŸ˜’.....  The driver side axle boot.  Went to the dealer and the car was in the bay on the ground.  Greasy smear inside driver side wheel has been diagnosed as a leaking driver side axle boot.  A few questions...

1). how hard / involved is it diagnose?  Guessing it depends on the size of the leak?  Can it be as simple as removing the wheel and seeing a leak, split boot?  It didn't even look as if the wheel had been removed

2). can anyone provide any info as to what gets replaced in a new vs rebuild repair.  Still waiting on the parts numbers form the dealer.  Does anyone have any schematics - curious.

3).   Considering dealer pricing, rebuild at $2000 vs new at $ 2550 - thoughts??  High, low, etc.?  I know what I think ðŸ˜–

So here is the part the dealer says I need 997-349-038-03, 1000.00 + 5 hours labor.  

can anyone help me understand where the leaking grease may be coming from?  Could there be more than 1 source?  Trying to figure out how this all goes together, but its like shooting in the dark....  Does the rubber boot keep the grease contained?  Why does the whole part need to be changed out - according to dealer. This is the part they quoted me:

Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 3.54.00 PM.png

--
    2006 911 C4S Cabriolet Tiptronic

Re: Leaking driver side axle boot

WTL1:

Disclaimer - I know nothing about how this works ðŸ˜’.....  

Standard RT state of mind. I actually know absolutely nothing about what you are mentioning here. So I'm well on theme. 

RT ??

--

That price sounds too high even for a whole new axle.  I would go to one of the many good independent Porsche shops in Los Angeles (unless you're from Louisiana), instead of the dealer.  I would buy a new axle (there are several options aside from buying from dealer).  Very simple repair - just bolts on.

--

22 GT3 Manual pending, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 18 GT3 Manual, 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Grant:

That price sounds too high even for a whole new axle.  I would go to one of the many good independent Porsche shops in Los Angeles (unless you're from Louisiana), instead of the dealer.  I would buy a new axle (there are several options aside from buying from dealer).  Very simple repair - just bolts on.

--

22 GT3 Manual pending, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 18 GT3 Manual, 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Louisiana....  Anyhow, there is only 1 dealer here in town.  Ive found a good independent shop but the dealer has already got the parts they ordered.  The whole thing is a joke - ive got  feeling all they did was look at the leaking grease and say , replace it all. Dont even think they took the wheel off to look. They even told me I could keep driving it before they repair it.  They overfilled my oil and didn't list the brake flush on the ticket and overstated my mileage by 10k on the receipt and now they tell me they cant change it bc they ticket's been closed out....  I don't even know how they could know I needed a whole replacement w/o pulling it all apart??

--

WTL1:

RT ??

RennTeam... Smiley

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

WTL1:
    Grant:

--

Louisiana....  Anyhow, there is only 1 dealer here in town.  Ive found a good independent shop but the dealer has already got the parts they ordered.  The whole thing is a joke - ive got  feeling all they did was look at the leaking grease and say , replace it all. Dont even think they took the wheel off to look. They even told me I could keep driving it before they repair it.  They overfilled my oil and didn't list the brake flush on the ticket and overstated my mileage by 10k on the receipt and now they tell me they cant change it bc they ticket's been closed out....  I don't even know how they could know I needed a whole replacement w/o pulling it all apart??

What a typical Porsche dealer shit show. Just short of organizing theft. Let them eat the part which they should have in stock and go to an independent shop. They will do better work and charge 1/3. Grant is 100% correct. Replace axle and bolt in. Check the others.  For what the dealer charged you you could do them all with new parts. Sad but common. 
    The best thing you can do once out of warranty is find the best independent shop.  Mine is amazing.  I can thank my dealer for being such an obvious rip off which led me to find him. 
    If Porsche is reading this check out my KC dealer.  

Leawood911:
    WTL1:
    Grant:

--

What a typical Porsche dealer shit show. Just short of organizing theft. Let them eat the part which they should have in stock and go to an independent shop. They will do better work and charge 1/3. Grant is 100% correct. Replace axle and bolt in. Check the others.  For what the dealer charged you you could do them all with new parts. Sad but common. 
    The best thing you can do once out of warranty is find the best independent shop.  Mine is amazing.  I can thank my dealer for being such an obvious rip off which led me to find him. 

So in talking to PCNA yesterday re: the mileage mistake the dealer made, they told me fill out the survey I received in an email.  I did and the last question was, Do you want the dealer to call you? I answered , yes, so that I could explain any questions they may have.  So this am, I had gotten no call....  I then called the dealer to cancel my Mon apt and was asked to hold, which I did. The service managed then coms on and basically slams me politely for the survey and tells me I have a right to take my car anywhere...  I explain politely that I did not feel comfortable with them working on the car with all the communication problems and mechanic problems, them being shorthanded, not being able to get parts in 4 weeks and taking 4 days to complete a 5 book hr job, etc, etc.  He basically ripped me politely even though ii told him that I did write some positive comments in the comment box - to which he answered - "Its the low score you gave us that counts, not the comments in the box."  Well, the whole thing is BS - don't fill out a survey unless you give 10's!!!  Whatever.  Bottom line, I fell bad but I shouldn't.  I told them you cant fix the problems if you don't know what they are and that its been an issue there for years and for that im sorry.  Odd to me that the manager knew all about my survey and the scores but still hadn't picked up the phone!!!!  I think I see where one of the problems lay.

Off I go to an indy.

--

Joost:
    WTL1:

RT ??

RennTeam... Smiley

Thanks Smiley

WTL1:
    Leawood911:
    WTL1:
    Grant:

--

So in talking to PCNA yesterday re: the mileage mistake the dealer made, they told me fill out the survey I received in an email.  I did and the last question was, Do you want the dealer to call you? I answered , yes, so that I could explain any questions they may have.  So this am, I had gotten no call....  I then called the dealer to cancel my Mon apt and was asked to hold, which I did. The service managed then coms on and basically slams me politely for the survey and tells me I have a right to take my car anywhere...  I explain politely that I did not feel comfortable with them working on the car with all the communication problems and mechanic problems, them being shorthanded, not being able to get parts in 4 weeks and taking 4 days to complete a 5 book hr job, etc, etc.  He basically ripped me politely even though ii told him that I did write some positive comments in the comment box - to which he answered - "Its the low score you gave us that counts, not the comments in the box."  Well, the whole thing is BS - don't fill out a survey unless you give 10's!!!  Whatever.  Bottom line, I fell bad but I shouldn't.  I told them you cant fix the problems if you don't know what they are and that its been an issue there for years and for that im sorry.  Odd to me that the manager knew all about my survey and the scores but still hadn't picked up the phone!!!!  I think I see where one of the problems lay.

Off I go to an indy.

If you are not honest on the survey then the surveys are useless, I'm sure you are not the only one with such an experience and letting Porsche know may save other owners in the future from such substandard service. Well done.

Last week I grabbed the GTS to go to work only to find that one of my tires was flat, called my dealership to let them know I needed to get there tire patched urgently if its patchable or get a new tire otherwise, it was a slow leak that leaked out overnight, so I filled the tire with air and drove to the dealership 30min away and made it with just enough air still without having to stop to refill fortunately, they gave me a substitute car so that I could still get to work, they fixed the tire during the morning (it was a small screw causing a small leak but will put on new tires in a month anyway) and brought the car to my work during my lunch break and we switched cars and they left with the car they lent me. They even washed the car. And they decided it was on the house, they didn't want to charge me, which they should . True I've been a client for years, but you can imagine how highly I speak of my dealership to others with this level of service and adds value to the brand.

Carlos from Spain:
    WTL1:
    Leawood911:
    WTL1:
    Grant:

--

Off I go to an indy.

If you are not honest on the survey then the surveys are useless, I'm sure you are not the only one with such an experience and letting Porsche know may save other owners in the future from such substandard service. Well done.

Last week I grabbed the GTS to go to work only to find that one of my tires was flat, called my dealership to let them know I needed to get there tire patched urgently if its patchable or get a new tire otherwise, it was a slow leak that leaked out overnight, so I filled the tire with air and drove to the dealership 30min away and made it with just enough air still without having to stop to refill fortunately, they gave me a substitute car so that I could still get to work, they fixed the tire during the morning (it was a small screw causing a small leak but will put on new tires in a month anyway) and brought the car to my work during my lunch break and we switched cars and they left with the car they lent me. They even washed the car. And they decided it was on the house, they didn't want to charge me, which they should of given the work they and without an appointment. True I've been a client for years, but you can imagine how highly I speak of my dealership to others with this level of service...

I think one problem here is that there is only one local Porsche dealer.  True, my car is 15 years old, BUT, ive only ever had it service by Porsche dealers.  And I could not have bought it from them as it was purchased while I lived out of town.  The service here has been on the decline for awhile now.  A few appointments ago I was told they no longer even offer loaners and now set you up in an Uber to get you home.  Ive had this happen before - you're honest on a survey and if its anything less than 10's, they take it out on you - they jerk you around and just give you a hard time.  Ive had the same thing happen with Land Rover - alls good until you give a bad review then you get it if you tell the truth....  Heck, I have a Toyota Land Cruiser (86K car)  and their service is terrible too and they don't even bother with surveys.  And loaner - forget it!  NEVER.   Ive had 1 or 2 small issues with it and every time I ve brought it up with the dealer, its always, "Cant be duplicated" or "works as intended". And, they will never go on a test ride for me to duplicate the issue. And when I called Toyota, they just defer to the dealer.  I gave up and while the car is 2 years old, took it and paid to have it fixed and an independent shop.  

One last thing here - gotta stop before I blow my top - like I said, im going to the independent shop anyway - BUT - about 2 years back I went to the Porsche dealer to make a service apt.  When we were going over the work to be done, I asked them to pull my history to check something they had done previously as I had been going to them for about 6 or 7 years at that time, they said they couldn't as they had "lost" it all and had no records except for the Land Cruiser that I had had serviced at their sister shop.  Thank goodness I had kept all my records and have a spreadsheet with all the info. PCNA said they could not help get it back and I even offered copies to the dealer for them to re-enter it all and I offered excel spreadsheet - they refused.  While im getting a little too old and fat to buy another 911, my wife may have like a Panamera - but where to go?!?  haha.  Oh well.  

--

Leawood911:
    WTL1:
    Grant:

--

So I was reminded by a friend in the local club of an indy I had actually been to but had forgotten about. Made apt last week for drop off yesterday.  They called today at lunch - the car was done and cleaned up.  A lot quicker than the local dealer bs - 4 days and a maybe....  Seems to be all good, used oem parts and im pretty sure ive now got a new go to.  They are local club supporters and participants too.  

--

Glad to hear it kiss

--

Grant:

Glad to hear it kiss

+1

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690483 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409755 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256003 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235275 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65649 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858414 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774688 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM