Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

The Joy of Specs

Just trying to spec my new 987 and am wodering whether there is any point going for full climate control. The cars all come with standard A/C, so why pay an extra Pounds385 for automatic climate. Its a convertible isn't it??

While on the subject of spec, from what I have seen the only difference between standard lights and bi-xenon is the chrome washer jutting out infront of the headlight. The actual light structure looks exactly the same. So if you can live with the standard headlamp illumination, why not just save yourself Pounds685??

SO thats nearly a grand I have saved you all so far.
    Oh and just to fire up the debate, in my humble opinion, for the average driver (me), PASM is not worth it on a 987. The car has so much mechanical grip and already excllent suspension, again it is a marketing ploy by Porsche to get you to spec the car beyond what is really required by reality. PASM in a 997 fair enough, but in a 987...I don't think so.

So in all this post has saved you over 2K

While I am here, a few other points. Heated seats are essential, as is the new sports (circular) steering wheel. The car will be a much better drive on Box S 18" rims, so don't bother paying for the crazy price 19" rims. BOSE is essential as there is no car stero system like it, not even BMW's Harmon Kardon systems. Park assist will pay for itself and embossed head restraints look cool with the top down......oh and there is no other colour apart fomr Atlas Grey.......

Care to debate??

Re: The Joy of Specs

Yep....

I disagree re: 19"s....they look great and I am having them.....5 days to go.

Xenons look cool so I disagree too!

However, I do agree with PASM...standard on the Carrera S so.....not worth the Pounds1000 or whatebver it is.

I am having ParkAssist as one knock avoided and it's paid for itself.

I am having cruise as this is bollox on the motorway but essential when in 50s, 40s and 30s when you have 6 points!!!

Embossed headrests....waste of money...who cares other than those in the know....am those in the know will know what a waste they are....

Sports steering agin essential as it looks better than the "triangle".

I took about 7 attempts with Excel deciding on the perfect spec and enjoyed every single hour I spent and so should you!!!

Quote:
    newboxster said:
    I took about 7 attempts with Excel deciding on the perfect spec and enjoyed every single hour I spent and so should you!!!

I'm sorry but I have never heared so much drivel. You an accountant? You buy a sports car with passion, not a calculator. Want to save even more money? Buy an MX-5 or even better, a Kia Picanto. What could be worse than spending a substantial amount of money on a Porsche then when you get it wish you had had this extra or that extra? Where's your spreadsheet going to help you then? We all have budgets, of course, but surely it is better to list what you want first in order of desirability and then trim to suit the budget? Don't list it in importance of cost!

No not an accountant...the opposite...as salesman!!!

There are things worth money and things that aren't....taste cannot be bought!!!

Quote:
    newboxster said:
    No not an accountant...the opposite...as salesman!!!

There are things worth money and things that aren't....taste cannot be bought!!!

Yes - and no! I agree absolutely that taste /preference comes first and cost second. Don't spoil your car because a certain option isn't perceived as "good value".

Ah, but as a former Porsche salesman, I know what is pointless and what is usefull in a second hand market.

'Newboxster' missed my point entirely, the standard headlights look exactly the same as the xenons, so whats the point? Spend that money on sports seats instead (far, FAR more useful).

I genuinely believe the sport chrono (over Pounds500 for a fancy stopwatch??!!) and PASM are two things which will not hold value in a second hand market.....added to that the problem with Sport Chrono and your insurance. You have a prang while its running and your insurancce is ''invalid'' due to the fact you were 'racing'.

Yes the 19'' look good, but not the 19''s you see on the press cars. Tha Carerra classic wheels look good, but the are nearl 2K more. It'll be the 18''s for me as they look really good, fill the arches well and will be a better drive than 19'' any day of the week.

SO, can anyone tell me if Auto A/C is needed or not!!?? Personaly I WILL be speccing it as I think 99% of used buyers will expect it, but its hardly essential. So my point is, buying a Boxster is an emotional journey, but also one you need to pick through carefully in order to help the car hold its value.

Sorry, but I have to ask - if you are a former Porsche salesman why are you asking us whether or not auto a/c is required? Surely you would know. The answer must be no it isn't required and it is doubtful if you will recoup the money invested. The only thing you can be certain of with residuals is that poor colour choice and poor colour matching of exterior and interior will wipe a hefty amount off the value of the car.

Most options will be worth zero come trade in time but you will be penalised if you haven't got the minimum i.e. metallic paint in a non-obtrusive colour, leather and 18" alloys. All the other extras are purely window dressing and make your period of ownership more enjoyable. Just don't expect to get your money back on them.

Options choice is a can of worms, everyone has there own essential items. As for the Xenons, sure they might look the same to most people, however the difference is clear when you are sitting behind the wheel at night. You buy xenons because they make night time driving safer and more enjoyable. The test ride I had was on 19" wheels (with PASM) and the ride felt very comfortable. On my car I have chosen the 18" wheels principally to stop the price escalating even further. As for auto air con, this is being specced by the majority of people in the UK, it is an annoyance that you actually have to spend money on it but not a big surprise for a Porsche.

Ed

ISUK, as I said, I AM putting auto A/C on my car, but when I sold the cars almost 3 years ago, A/C was a total option, not standard as it is now....hence the reason I am asking for peoples opinion. I know what my opinion is.......

Totally agree that colour and basics (leather, 18's, a/c) are the very least on a car, but still maintain the boxster isn't quick enough for PASM. ANyway on the test car I drove I really couldn't feel the benefit of it (demo was a 18'' shod car).

I haven't driven the new car at night, so can't vouch for the benefit of Xenons on the new car. The reason most people specced Litronic on the 986 (pre facelift) was to get rid of the horrible orange plastic on the headlights. Thats not a factor anymore on the new car, so am really needing a drive at night to see if the Xenons are the biz.

Certainly the time I have spent looking at spec suggest the the new 2.7 is considerably better value than the S compared to the same models in the 986 series. The 'old' S had MUCH better brakes (not so any more, can't say how chuffed I am to see X-drilled brakes on the 2.7), leather, A/C and many other touches including two decent sized exhaust pipes in order to give the car a better look from the rear. I have to say the new twin pipes are a little bit girly compared to the outgoing car, and unfortunately the Tequipment option looks the same, just finished in chrome.

Shame.

Otherwise, the new car is SO much better looking than the old car. It has taken a bit of a beating in the press for its looks, but I think Porsche have got it just right.

Sorry if I came across as being a bit sharp, that wasn't my intent. I wouldn't bother with the auto aircon if residual is the driving factor. The standard aircon should be more than adequate on a roadster. As far as the xenons go I personally wouldn't have a car without them now as they make night driving so much easier with the vastly improved beam patter. Someone posted a thread on the 997 board a month or so back showing the difference between the standard and xenon light beam throw distances and patterns. It was very informative. They won't add to the resale though so only buy if you intend to do a lot of night/winter driving.

There was a Boxster S sitting at my OPC with a screen price of Pounds52k. I think it had everything including the kitchen sink on it. There is no way that car is going to attract a stronger residual come resale and Pounds52k for a Boxster is sheer madness in my book.

Couldn't agree more. 52k is totally crazy. That person wants a 911........

I specced my car for me.............not the next owner!!!

jlz...get real!!

great if you have money to burn..... you'll love it when the dealer gives you a kick in the balls and shafts you come trade in time.

A fool and his money etc etc etc......

Lol, my jock is made of iron. Isn't yours?

I think it's safe to say that people who can afford to own a Porsche are folks who earn a pretty decent living, and able to make very practical financial decisions all day long. But then here comes those same folks into a Porsche dealership making a completely emotional decision and just blowing all kinds of money on a totally impractical sportscar

I guess I'm trying to say pretty much the same thing as dreamcar/newboxster. Options smoptions! Get options that customize the car to you. Isn't that part of what makes Porsche a Porsche? Personalization- that's a big reason why I ordered one. I like knowing that the chances of seeing one just like mine around town are highly unlikely. I'm not configuring my car for the next guy.

I'm curious, do most Porsche owners own them for practicality or emotional enjoyment? I for one am of the latter.

To me, a Porsche is one of those items in life that is NOT a necessity. If you have to fuss with how much money to spend on one, perhaps you should be looking at another brand of vehicle. I also own a Honda Accord- now that baby's got great resale value

auto air won't save your life but xenons could.

Well I am not on film star money, I can assure you, and I can only justify spending this much money on a car once, so I specced the car as I wanted it, with only a little bit of one eye on resale. Even with options, the Boxster is still one of the best cars on the market for residuals.
    Now look what you've gone and made me do - 500 posts!

I think the UK market may be somewhat different to the US in terms of buyer profile. From reading sites like Boxanet I suspect that a lot of UK buyers are stretching themselves financially to get into these cars and therefore tend not to load them with extras. Of course there are people for whom money is not so tight and who are prepared to lose the cost of the options if it makes their period of ownership more enjoyable. There is nothing wrong with either viewpoint. Then there are the really wealthy who can afford to spec a car in a combination like speed yellow with cocoa interior and get next to nothing come resale as no-one wants it.

My biggest influence over residuals was colour, hence arctic silver, blue leather and blue soft top. If money was of no concern at all I would almost certainly either had GT silver or more likely cobalt blue with sand beige leather and blue roof. The three options i've gone for with almost no regard to residuals were PCM+nav, PASM and 19" wheels.

Good debate. I have to agree with ISUK tho, UK buyers are far more aware of the potential resale value of their car. A Porsche is a complete and unabated luxury, and therfore should not be considered a ''sensible'' purchase in any real world. However, very very few cars will not lose money, just some will lose less than others.

My personal position is a little different. I am stretching myself a little to buy this car (i'm only 26), and I already have another car for the 'daily grind'. However because this is a big purchase for me I want to get it right, not just for myself, but also for my wallet come trade-in time. I was offered a 1 year old 986 S for the same money I am spending speccing my new 987 2.7. Despite the older cars slightly punchier power delivery, I still think the new 987 2.7 is a much better buy. A Frankfurt Porsche dealer told me so as well and I kind of respect the Germans judgement on these things.

So my spec is as follows

987 2.7
    Atlas Grey, Black partial leather interior
    18'' Box S wheels
    Wheel centre set
    Sports steering wheel
    Heated seats
    Park assist
    Bose with Wind deflector
    Auto climate
    Xenon
    and poss SPorts seats (haven't yet decided)

So, its not a BIG spec, but a sensible one in my opinion and more than enough to keep a grin on my face.

Roll on August

mmmmm...wheel centre set?? Really worth the money???

yep...finishes off the outside (look at the brochure!!). However, they are no more expensive aftermarket, so its an option that could yet see the chop. And again, as I have already said, at approx Pounds100 its not going to wipe you out finacially. Speccing 2k extra (PASM plus 6 speed box and Sport chrono) will definitely not show you much return and I (personally) don't think they lend anything to the car.

There's so many factors that may influence your spec, it's just such a personal issue. But it's good to see other people's viewpoints. Here's my spec and reasons:

* Boxster S - I'd have had to add the standard options of the S onto the base car anyway (affecting resale loss) which eased the decision. And I thought I'd regret it if I didn't.
    * Seal Grey - Daily driver, hides dirt/chips reasonably well. Also blends with headlights and side vent.
    * Sand Beige Full Leather including rear section of centre console - I wanted something with a little more warmth, and was aware that black leather might be painful on bare thighs in the sun. Light colour so had to spec full leather.
    * PASM - west country roads aren't the best. Plus there's the anti-squat/dive benefits, and safety benefits of tightening things up in emergency manoeuvres, and keeping traction better if you hit a rough patch in a bend.
    * BiXenons - they are also dark, and early in the morning there is a high risk of running over fallen branches. Sooner seen the better. Had to be fitted at build time otherwise the self-leveling woudn't work properly.
    * NO PCM - I can read a map, and it doesn't accept postcodes anyway.
    * BOSE - I do listen to music, and this is the best standard fit kit. Wish there was an MP3 solution though.
    * Electric seats - wanted the lumbar support and ability to tweak position easily whilst driving, and the sports seats arched my back too much.
    * Heated seats - tried on cold test drive. Well worth the small cost. Warms the back up too.
    * Hard Top - To keep the cloth roof clean in winter (salt) and to protect against knife attack if needing to park in dodgy areas. Much more expensive to add afterwards, so I was told. Don't worry, it won't be on all the time!
    * Sports steering wheel - Hate the triangular one, and didn't need multi-function.

My spec and rationale
    arctic silver - practical, safe for resale
    ocean blue trim - best colour choice with silver IMO
    full leather - ambience, for want of a better word
    19" wheels - add much needed visual "drama" and don't particularly like "wimpish" 18" design
    colour wheel centres - finishing touch to wheels
    PASM - helps ride quality with 19" wheels, where are British roads decent surface quality?
    Bose - sound quality
    6CD player - convenience don't want CD's all over the place
    Sports seats & wheel - better than standard items
    PCM - Had navigation in a BMW and handy when touring
    Auto AC - recommended by dealer as "essential" extra
    BiXenon lights - safety, particularly with animals in New Forest and ability to change beam for continental driving
    Heated seats - nice in winter
    Autodim mirrors / rain sensors - glare from headlights in low car and auto wipers useful

You callin' me a wimp? ....

I thought that the visual difference between the 18"s and 19"s on the launch day wasn't enough to justify the extra wonga. Plus there's the ride/handling issue. I may live to regret it, but.... I can always swap the wheels later. And at least I don't have to worry about Dr Phil...

NIce....wouldn't say the 18''s are 'wimpish' tho. Did anybody every say the 996 GT2 18''s were wimpish?? Its the old 'can have, must have' mentality. Agree they add to the viual impact of the car, but I think you need the S red calipers to pull it off. SO the 18''s are the one for me. One of the nice things about the spec game is that it keeps you entertained daily for the months leading up to your spec being finalised. Wish they did an aluminum handbrake and gearlever package like they did on the the 986. I always thought that was one of the nicest options.

Re: CD changer... I held off as I'm hoping for an MP3 changer solution at some point... Got a head unit at the moment that takes MP3 encoded disks. You can get about 16 albums on to one CD - beats a changer in my book. And you can't tell the quality drop when you're driving. But I hate having the cabin stuffed full of CD's too, I agree.

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    You callin' me a wimp? ....

I thought that the visual difference between the 18"s and 19"s on the launch day wasn't enough to justify the extra wonga. Plus there's the ride/handling issue. I may live to regret it, but.... I can always swap the wheels later. And at least I don't have to worry about Dr Phil...

Unfortunately Dr Phil wasn't perceived as a threat when I ordered them and I am hoping he will steal Rich C's wheels rather than mine.
    I was referring to the wheels being wimpish, but if the cap fits?

Re: Auto air con - I figured that I wouldn't need it - If I'm cold, I'll turn the heat up. If I'm hot, I'll turn the air con up. I really can't tell the difference between 21 degrees and 22 degrees! Are there any other benefits to auto air con?

Quote:
    JZ said:
    NIce....wouldn't say the 18''s are 'wimpish' tho. Did anybody every say the 996 GT2 18''s were wimpish?? Its the old 'can have, must have' mentality. Agree they add to the viual impact of the car, but I think you need the S red calipers to pull it off. SO the 18''s are the one for me. One of the nice things about the spec game is that it keeps you entertained daily for the months leading up to your spec being finalised. Wish they did an aluminum handbrake and gearlever package like they did on the the 986. I always thought that was one of the nicest options.

It isn't the wheel diameter that I don't like it's the spoke design. If they still offered the old style Carrera 18" wheels I would have had them - one of the best wheel designs I have seen. And yes, the aluminium / leather handbrake / gearlever option of the 986 is sadly missed.

Are you suggesting that I wear a cap?

Where's me handbag....

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM