Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche Zoom Child Booster Seat Pictures / Comments

I wouldn't remove the backrest at age 4, it is part of the whole safety system.

I found that the top portion of the rear seat belt doesn't always stay above the seat, so it sometimes drops down high across a child's chest.

you probably know this, but unless your child is really tall enough, check out something like the following:

http://www.safefit.com/2004/ontheroad.html

it works very well.

Quote:
    RC said:
    I wouldn't remove the backrest at age 4, it is part of the whole safety system.

actually, depending on the model, the rear back is designed to be removed. however, the back usually keeps the shoulder strap across the shoulder (instead of across the neck), so your child either needs to be tall enough, or you need a supplemental mechanism to keep the strap up.

I found the biggest problem with the car seats is having a small enough base to fit in the back seat - the Britax Starriser Comfy model works great for me.

I had to adjust the rear seatback cushion up about 5 inches to keep the shoulder strap above his right shoulder, like they recommend in the instructions. You can tell by looking at the picture in post #1 how high it had to be. Also, look at the picture in post #3. If I didn't adjust upwards, the shoulder belt would have been across his chest rather than above his right shoulder. Don't know what it would be like without the rear seatback cushion but I seem to remember that the Zoom instructions said that it's ok to do such a thing (ie., remove it). Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that most if not all booster seats are designed to operate w/o the rear seatback cushion as long as the child is large/old enough.

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that most if not all booster seats are designed to operate w/o the rear seatback cushion as long as the child is large/old enough.

yep - assuming that the booster seat was designed to do this. for example, the Britax Bodyguard model looks like a great booster seat, but the back is not removable, so as the child outgrows the seat (i.e., their head goes above the back of the booster back) you can't use it anymore.

Just a pic of the Porsche Junior booster in the rear...

The Porsche child seat is a further example of why I have a Love /Hate feeling for Porsche. The price difference to get a rebadged Britax car seat is outrageous. I purchased a Recaro Start - Incredible and actually worth the high price. Check it out at www.recaro.com

The junior seat is great, I use it for my 4-year old daughter and it provided superior safety and stability.
    Last time we did some 360* turns in the snow, the head of my daughter barely moved in this seat. I didn't think of her head too much until I looked at her while doing some fun turns in the snow and I saw how her head was moving. I imagine that in the booster seat, her head would have moved much stronger to the left/right.

I also think that the junior seat provides better stability during emergency braking, sharp turns and even during impact.
    I think the junior seat is good for kids up to 6 or 7 years, I definetely prefer to keep the kids in this seat, no matter how bulky it looks.

Quote:
    MKW said:
    Down side of this seat, from my experience, is that because the car's rear seat back is so upright, once the kid falls asleep...

If you're taking that long of a trip with kids you need to buy the Cayenne Though my wife says we cannot get one until they put a DVD player in it (and a third row seat at least for kids). And FWIW, yes I too have this seat and noticed the same thing... no long trips because the seating position even for a small kid is too "straight up". It isn't a 4 passenger car

I went to purchase the Recaro Start and was told that it only fits in the lowest position. Is this true? How old is your kid and do you see using the seat for a long time or will it be too small?

I believe that it is a federal law now that all seat belts must go into a ratchet or whatever you call it mode when fully extended.

Does anyone know if Porsche has released the airbag deactivation for cars with sport seats? When I got my S in January my dealer had the kit, and then Porsche told them not to install it. I think they said it did not work properly with the side airbags.

I know I can put a car seat in the back and for most cars that is what is recommended, but most cars do not have an engine in the back either. I worry more about be rear ended and the engine being pushed forward than I worry about driving into an accident.

I think there is a reason that Porsche has always had a front seat solution.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin in Houston
    2005 Carrera S
    1963 356 S

I actually ordered the airbag deactivation kit but never got around to checking back with them on the availability. But I think that the new law here in California requires that a child under 12 (or is it 14?) must be seated in the back, so it's not something I can use anyways. My gut feeling is that it is safer in the back for the child, so it's not likely that I'll want my 4 year old to be sitting up front with me.

I still question if the back seat is the safest location in a Porsche since there is an engine just inches behind the back seat. The seat backs are even vertical to make more room in the engine compartment. In Houston people routinely rear end stopped cars. Does the engine then push the child forward? I do not know, but it seems to make sense that the safer seat is in the front.

Kevin in Houston
    2005 997 S
    1963 356 S

Quote:
    vtrader said:
    Does the kit also deactivate the passenger side airbags also or just the front passenger airbag?

The side airbags always remain activated.

So the Porsche seat has no transponder in it? You only pay extra for the Porsche lettering? Just buy the Britax seat. I don't see what the big deal with kids sitting in the front seat, as long as they have a booster, the airbag won't kill them. The few times a child was killed by an airbag was when they were unbelted and actually playing on the dash area when the accident happened and the airbag killed them. Of course if the airbag didn't kill them, the windshield would have.

I agree with Texas 911. I bought the Britax Comfy boosters (2) for my 5 and 7 year olds (wife won't let them in the car without them) and just use the bases--they fit perfectly in the back, and are about $80 (plus shipping) on the internet. For my 3 year old, I have a forward facing Costo five point restraint seat that also fits without a problem in the back seats. I have this argument with my wife all of the time--I think the average 4-8 year old in a booster would probably be OK in the front seat with the airbag on.

Quote:
    Porsche child seats DO NOT have transponders, the airbag deactivation works differently. You can use ANY seat, no problem but you need the deactivation kit. It remains a mystery why Porsche doesn't offer the deactivation as a standard option, I was so furious about it because the kit wasn't available when I got my car in July (of course not, because no customer cars around ). I got the very first deactivation kit through the "intervention" of somebody at Porsche directly, otherwise I would have waited another one or two months.

even more annoying: my porsche dealer wasn't willing to install the airbag deactivation feature to my GT3 RS for various reasons... one service guy told me that the race buckets are not approved for child seats, another one told me that the airbag deactivation is generally not possible with the GT3 RS (yeah, sure)...

not that i planned to take my daughter on big trips in the GT3 RS -- but she wanted to try out her father's new car...

Quote:
    A lot of 911 owners have kids, the airbag deactivation kit should be STANDARD! Do you hear us, Porsche?

RC, it comes standard with the F430... in case you needed one more reason...

I think that if a car is a strict two seater, it should have a deactivation switch. I like the system on the Mercedes, called BabySmart, you buy a Mercedes carseat that has a transponder and if you put it in the front seat, it turns off the airbags. You also get a visual confirmation. You take out the seat and its back to its old activated self. No need to remember to turn it back on!

Quote:
    Texas911 said:
    I think that if a car is a strict two seater, it should have a deactivation switch. I like the system on the Mercedes, called BabySmart, you buy a Mercedes carseat that has a transponder and if you put it in the front seat, it turns off the airbags. You also get a visual confirmation. You take out the seat and its back to its old activated self. No need to remember to turn it back on!

I Hate to say it but my wife's Nissan Titan Pick Up truck has as factory standard equipment a sensor in the passenger seat which constantly measures the weight of the occupant in the passenger seat. If no passenger in the seat it gives you a warning light that the airbag is deactivated, if a small child on baby car seat is on the seat it also gives you a warning that the airbag is deactivated as you put bigger and bigger people on that seat, the sensor measures their weight and adjusts the force of the airbag deployment according to their weight, all of this in a $34k pick up truck! I'm buying the Britax for my 4 year old to ride in my upcoming 997C2S

I am about to take delivery of a 997c2. I also have a 6 month old son and am wondering what type of child seat to buy. First thoughts are to get the Porsche Junior seat.
    Does anyone know of any alternatives or whether I should stick with a rear facing infant seat as long as possible, which I use in my other, family friendly car. I read that rear facing seats are safer. But I can't take my child in the new P car until I can fit a front facing rear seat as I refuse to pay the obsence cost of the Porsche infant seat and airbag deactivation (around Pounds1000 altogether) to e able me to carry him in the front.

Thanks in advance

Update, the 2006 has the standard automatic deactivator standard!

Yes 06 has deactivation standard.

yes 06 can confirm, i have a booster in the back passenger seat but considered putting my youngest up front.

Does anybody know if the "hidden" latch / isofix connectors for the rear tether on the rear parcel shelf are there on UK spec cars as well as the US ones?

Where / how can we buy this car seat????

This note is for 997ism if he's still out there. I am new to site and new to my 997S (it arrives Monday!). I need to purchase two child seats and am considering the Recaro Start. It's been a long time since your post. Do you still recommend it? Do you use it in the rear? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Er... what's the problem with using a rear facing child (OK, toddler) seat in the back? This seems to work for my friend's toddler and a McLaren removable child seat. Everything seems to fit fine in my car.

I'm an ignoramus at this stuff so any (safety) advice much appreciated...

Hi zzboba

I installed the Airbag deaktivation kit on my 997 GT3 RS and using for my 10Mt old daugther the Recaro Young Expert plus. and it works fine!

Regards Bruno

zzboba

if you need the kit buy it here http://www.carnewal.com/

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776883 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441595 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262716 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260863 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85141 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5527 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880582 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815744 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM