Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Tesla

If I go to a dealership or whatever to test drive a car, and when I sit in it I see a yoke wheel in front of me, I won't even start the engine or turn the car on, I would get out of the car laughing out loud and just leave... I still can't believe that is not an April fool's joke but it's what you get when non-car people build cars lol....

Hey where's Pilot ?  Has anyone flown an airplane where the yoke turned fully upside down and a half more ?

Carlos from Spain:

If I go to a dealership or whatever to test drive a car, and when I sit in it I see a yoke wheel in front of me, I won't even start the engine or turn the car on, I would get out of the car laughing out loud and just leave... I still can't believe that is not an April fool's joke but it's what you get when non-car people build cars lol....

What are the odds others will copy it?

You are such a car guy. One would think 9.23 sec 1/4 mile is also a car guy thing - or is that only for round steering wheels?

Perhaps when a non car guy builds a car that is faster than all the others, just maybe, the others need to catch up a bit. 
    Maybe spaceships should come next. 

In the meantime I guess steering wheels must be round like the earth. You are not a flat wheeler. 

I take it all back after reading the article. You guys just crave my reply like a drug. Lol. 
    I love you guys!
    I should just just go along and agree because it is frankly too funny how bad products from the ‘car guys’ have become by comparison and the lengths people go to stick their head in the sand.   
    A good question would be - what category is left on the table to brag about?  Stitching? Exhaust note?
    Btw all those engineers and designers at Tesla are car guys.  Elon even wrecked an F1. That takes a certain type of love for speed.  Else they are car guys who double as material scientists, rocket scientist or computer programmers…  they build more of the car than the ‘car guys’ who assemble supplier parts, play price games and tank resale values routinely.  But they have round wheels. 
    I suggest making a semi circular wheel insert to complete the roundness.  Sounds like it would make a fortune. 
    But this is just my opinion  AND I’m wrong  of course  

it is interesting to listen to F1 drivers compare methods  and talk about their need to rotate the wheel totally in Monaco. Lewis takes his hand off. Max holds on.  And yes it sucks when I do it on the simulator. I think the yoke is a joke and the aftermarket will have a fix in a week.     To each his own. Seriously though -  Next time you are driving you may notice that once over 10 mph you move the wheel very little. I can also see electric steering radically modify the low speed ratio at a user defined rate. Piece of cake via touch screen. They should hire me. Stay tuned 

Leawood911:
    Carlos from Spain:

What are the odds others will copy it?

You are such a car guy. One would think 9.23 sec 1/4 mile is also a car guy thing - or is that only for round steering wheels?

Perhaps when a non car guy builds a car that is faster than all the others, just maybe, the others need to catch up a bit. 
    Maybe spaceships should come next. 

In the meantime I guess steering wheels must be round like the earth. You are not a flat wheeler. 

Well, for car guys, faster is not straight line speed in stop light racing in a sedan, it means something else you seen to have forgotten already... that yoke has to be absolutely hilarious to use around a mountain pass or a track    ... still cannot believe that is real pound.gif

I agree - the yoke is a joke.   Maybe there needs to be something to pick on but don’t worry about me forgetting about a million miles and 42 years of Porsche driving. No one here has owned and driven more 911 miles.   

Objectively speaking I must say that while my old 997 handles well and certainly has better brakes the little model3 corners like crazy - low weight distribution and sticky Michelin Pilot Sports help a ton - and totally humiliates the Porsche with speed. I would not want a yoke on it either.  Yet is seems like an easy fix vs trying to get a car to go 150mph in 9 seconds at around 1.5 cents per mile.  I would bet the depreciation % of a Plaid model S is a bit less than a Taycan (maybe more so since last week)

It is an interesting car for a segment of buyers. I would assume the VW board is not sitting back laughing and thinking Tesla is not competitive due to the yoke.  Do you think they are trying to get the Taycan to go 200 or 9 seconds?  🤔 How much will they need to charge to not hurt ICE sales with such performance numbers?  

In the end we, as consumers, will come out way ahead thanks to all this innovation from car guys given a budget and tech to play with. It’s long overdue and shows us how important competition is in all areas. 

As a sportscar fan, I could not care less, an EV is an EV no matter how fast it goes on a straight line, good for some as a people mover appliance, that's it, nothing to get excited about imo... unless it has a yoke, then it's comical... how that idea made it into production says a lot about the company, like I said, non-car people building cars.

Let Tesla and its rabid base have that yoke design.  In actuality it's a rounded rectangle and this is probably why the NHTSA signed off on the design.  However, when the first loss of control events directly attributable to that design happen, the barrage of negative press is duly deserved.  

That base will scream and yell every insult possible but the steering wheel design is too far away from the orthodoxy to garner significant consumer approval.  Just look at the number of negative comments from the press and consumers Audi has received for using a steering wheel with a flat bottom section.  Its new Q4 e-tron with its squared steering wheel design will suffer similar complaints from consumers.  Moving too far away from currently acceptable designs is just too fraught with risks for mass production products. We've seen this happen over and over again.  Think, for example, the FCA gear selector design and the myriad of wrongful death lawsuits.  

No one here is disagreeing with you about the joke yoke.  But you can’t help insulting Tesla owners while imagining they are insulting you. What a surprise. 

Leawood911:

No one here is disagreeing with you about the joke yoke.  But you can’t help insulting Tesla owners while imagining they are insulting you. What a surprise. 

Just read the comments posted on several other blogs and automotive websites about that yoke and defensive argument made by the Tesla base.  

popcorn_yes.gif

No need for popcorn. All that is required is reading this article, and the COMMENTS posted in reply. https://electrek.co/2021/06/15/tesla-yoke-steering-wheel-awkward-first-drives/#disqus_thread 

CGX car nut:

No need for popcorn. All that is required is reading this article, and the COMMENTS posted in reply. https://electrek.co/2021/06/15/tesla-yoke-steering-wheel-awkward-first-drives/#disqus_thread 

I think it is a shame that a discussions about the toys we love should turn negative. What a shame. I will never defend individual assholes while not prejudging groups. The point is to enjoy life not to find negativity.  If you let one persons comment, who you don’t know or who may be not even representing his own views - about something as silly as a wheel which can be made round - then try to let go and just smile. Enjoy life and understand that people who can’t be positive and see good are broken people. They deserve our understanding not more anger on our part. Life is way too short.  
    btw if you have not realized this is an obvious political struggle with tons of money fueling the fight consider that you are talking about some strangers anger issues rather than a 9 second 150mph car.  By all objective measures that is the fun discussion to have and we should be rejoicing on some level. All of us. Negative shit is just too pervasive. We are better than that. Put down the popcorn Emma.  Love fest from now on. 

3:50+

Perfect example to show how the Auto Shift can't predict if the driver wants to go forward or backwards. The driver had to select reverse, manually.

Another half-baked feature.

I’m so glad you guys have something to bitch about. No mention of him passing the mclaren like it was standing still, of course. 

Personally, I'm not bitching about anything, the Tesla S doesn't affect me in any way, I'm just laughing about it, the yoke is absolutely hilarious, just pucture it on a track... I want to see a video 

Can you also get it with a normal steering wheel? The ergonomics look just really weird. I also don't really see the obvious benefit over a circular design. Seems like a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist. 
    Overall, I like the interior with its austere approach though. 

The yoke wheel is a perfect Elonian move: It gives die hard Tesla fans a glimpse into the world of the Roadster and makes them feel like that car is still coming. It's niche enough that not enough of the new cars will have it to drop resale value of most Model S. It rides the balance of legal/quirky enough to create controversy. I mean you guys have spent the last three pages of this thread talking about it. It keeps him and the brand in our minds, which is exactly what marketing is about. 

Another silly comparison that sets the Base atwitter.  https://insideevs.com/news/514668/tesla-models-plaid-lamborghini-huracan/   Wonder if Robert Mitchell will post about this too.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/tesla/model-s/2021/2022-tesla-model-s-plaid-first-test-review/

looks like Whoopsy was right. The plaid is slow. Not able to get to less than 2 seconds. What a piece of crap. The other automakers have nothing to worry about. Easy Peasy. Just don’t make cars with yokes. 

Let’s talk more about the wheel.  It diverts the attention from stuff like specs car guys might be interested in.  
    Congrats Whoopsy!   Called it. 

It's quick but Tesla demanding a prepped surface coated with super-sticky VHT  smiley

Interesting:

Drag Strip mode. Over the next eight to 15 minutes (the time needed varies) :sleep:, the car preconditions the powertrain for hard acceleration, heating or cooling the battery as needed and chilling the motors.

To engage launch control, push hard on the brake, press the accelerator to the floor, and wait. Over the next nine or so seconds, the Model S' nose drops into the Plaid's "cheetah stance." When the final "launch control ready" message is displayed, firmly press your noggin against the headrest (trust us), release the brake, and hang on.

(1/4 mile "unprepped asphalt" is a estimate by MT)

Leawood911:

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/tesla/model-s/2021/2022-tesla-model-s-plaid-first-test-review/

looks like Whoopsy was right. The plaid is slow. Not able to get to less than 2 seconds. What a piece of crap. The other automakers have nothing to worry about. Easy Peasy. Just don’t make cars with yokes. 

Let’s talk more about the wheel.  It diverts the attention from stuff like specs car guys might be interested in.  

On a heavily prepped surface with a one foot roll out. So many asterisks on the 1.9something time.

--

Whoopsy:
    Leawood911:

On a heavily prepped surface with a one foot roll out. So many asterisks on the 1.9something time.

Exactly. It’s obviously slow.  Lots other cars out there much quicker for the money. More practical too.  Even your 918 is almost within 3 seconds of that 0-150 mph. 

Leawood911:
    Whoopsy:
    Leawood911:

Exactly. It’s obviously slow.  Lots other cars out there much quicker for the money. More practical too.  Even your 918 is almost within 3 seconds of that 0-150 mph. 

Dude what are you on? Smiley

Trolling much?

--

Whoopsy:
    Leawood911:
    Whoopsy:
    Leawood911:

Cool-aid...

Whoopsy:
    Leawood911:
    Whoopsy:
    Leawood911:

Trolling much?

The second biggest joke (yoke aside) is that this electric vehicle needs 8 to 15 minutes to prepare itself for a full launch... Smiley

...so at best, it is running over 8 minutes to get to 60 mph! Smiley  

That’s what I’m saying. It’s slow. I’m agreeing with you guys.  Geez. 
    So for each launch to sixty I need to wait for 9 minutes. 2 seconds of movement then nine minutes of standing around. Maybe they need Tesla motel(S) ‘
    Im sure if you don’t use drag strip mode it can barely hit 60 in 10 seconds after that first run 

The cars just makes no sense at all.  Nerds on speed is a deadly mix   - like on Mars - people will be hurt 

Porsche drivers can handle this type of power better  Taycan should double the price  

Btw the top speed is not available until the wheels for that are ready then you need to risk and OTA update which may crash your cars computer.  Those wheels will not help range I bet  

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    753591 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430959 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258706 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255560 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79598 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868512 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    802184 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM