Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Cayenne with Ford badge

Would you think that if the Cayenne had a Ford or any other mass production car maker badge, would have made the huge sucess it did?
    I really don't think so, this car is not a eye catcher, the badge sells

J.Seven

Re: Cayenne with Ford badge

Ford sells a lot of trucks so I wouldn't want to make any assumptions about what sales would be like with a Ford badge. Sales might be even better.

But I do agree with your point, the Porsche badge is what many buyers are after. But the reason for that is Porsche's well deserved reputation for engineering excellence and high performance vehicles. The Cayenne is no exception to that reputation. It is the best engineered, highest performance SUV available. Ford could not have made the Cayenne.

Quote:
    GM Austin said:
    Ford sells a lot of trucks so I wouldn't want to make any assumptions about what sales would be like with a Ford badge. Sales might be even better.

But I do agree with your point, the Porsche badge is what many buyers are after. But the reason for that is Porsche's well deserved reputation for engineering excellence and high performance vehicles. The Cayenne is no exception to that reputation. It is the best engineered, highest performance SUV available. Ford could not have made the Cayenne.

Nonsense. The surveys on the Cayenne are pathetic. My experience with the Cayenne is one of dissatisfaction. I predicted that after the initial wave of status seeker buyers the Cayenne sales will tail off. Well the decline has begun. Cayenne sales are down for the past month and unless Porsche provides incentives they will continue to fall.

Also why do you assume that Porsche engineers are better than Ford or any other manufacturer?

Quote:
    Also why do you assume that Porsche engineers are better than Ford or any other manufacturer?

That's a fair point. The Ford engineers may very well be as capable. Perhaps I should have said "Ford would not have made the Cayenne". I am not so sure that they could, but even if they were able, they wouldn't have.

Porsche products speak for themselves. Porsche produces the most innovative, highest performance vehicles available, including the Cayenne. Whether sales are up or down is irrelevant to that fact.

To be honest, I don't get your point. Would the 911 be a success if Ford would have built it?
    The fact is: Ford doesn't build such cars, look at the Mustang. The GT is a different story...and a different price class.

Would people buy a Carrera GT if Lada would sell it?

Yes, the Cayenne is no beauty but it is an eyecatcher that looks different. I don't like the Cayenne design too much but the facelift will improve things a little bit.
    The VW Touareg sells pretty well over here, so again, I don't get your point. The Touareg is no beauty either (even if I find it to be better looking than the Cayenne).

nBerry: "Also why do you assume that Porsche engineers are better than Ford or any other manufacturer?"

Porsche automotive engineers have higher performance goals to meet, so they just might have more experience with the faster side than the Mercury Montego guys, wouldnt you agree?

As for quality of components supplied by vendors, those are both supply chain and design issues that German automakers
    have failed to get control of. Im sure they've burned you and others off from becoming second time Cayenne customers.

Nick, the Cayenne still sells pretty well. Porsche expected to sell around 15000-20000 Cayenne per year and now look at their sales figures.
    The facelift is rumoured for ummer 2006 and I can already tell you that it looks nice, especially the front.

Yes, Porsche engineers are very good. Maybe you don't know it but Porsche has a special branch where they do development/testing for other car manufacturers. Many people don't know it and they would be surprised to hear how many cars out there on the market have a "Porsche engineering" in them in a way or another.

Quote:
    Yes, Porsche engineers are very good. Maybe you don't know it but Porsche has a special branch where they do development/testing for other car manufacturers. Many people don't know it and they would be surprised to hear how many cars out there on the market have a "Porsche engineering" in them in a way or another.

Yes, in fact, although I am sure no one at Porsche would ever admit to this, I have reliable insider information that Porsche has designed and engineered all current Ferrari motors!

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    nBerry: "Also why do you assume that Porsche engineers are better than Ford or any other manufacturer?"

Porsche automotive engineers have higher performance goals to meet, so they just might have more experience with the faster side than the Mercury Montego guys, wouldnt you agree?

But Ford engineers with high performance goals are just as good. Remember the late 60s? Didn't Ford get rebuffed by Ferarri? Didn't they then built a car to go head to head with Ferrari and a lesser extent against Porsche and won Le Mans fours years straight?

I don't think its an issue with engineers, it is the focus of the company itself and what type of products it wants to produce.

Quote:
    vtrader said:
    But Ford engineers with high performance goals are just as good. Remember the late 60s? Didn't Ford get rebuffed by Ferarri? Didn't they then built a car to go head to head with Ferrari and a lesser extent against Porsche and won Le Mans fours years straight?

I'm not sure - it was along time ago - but didn't Ford just buy the design for what later became the GT40 from Lola? Or maybe even just bought the whole Lola company to get the design. (Isn't there also a saying that if you can remember the sixties, then you weren't really part of them )?

Quote:
    vtrader said:
    I don't think its an issue with engineers, it is the focus of the company itself and what type of products it wants to produce.

If Ford really did buy the Lola company or Lola design, then I suppose it shows their focus was good, because they saw what was needed to stick it to Ferrari quickly and relatively cost effectively. Which would prove your point!

Quote:
    RC said:
    The VW Touareg sells pretty well over here, so again, I don't get your point. The Touareg is no beauty either (even if I find it to be better looking than the Cayenne).

The Touareg is one of the cars that reflect VW's character at its best - very undramatic, clean styling with a very friendly front facia. I do believe that the Cayenne could have become a much more artistical work if Porsche would've wanted it to be - but in fact I don't think this was there intention!

I though Nick is banned from all non-Ferrari forums...
    No offense towards Ford engineers or anybody else but as an employee you have to get employed first - and I do believe that Porsche has rather high demands on their staff! As RC mentioned, tons of development is done or accompanied by Porsche's staff because they are that GOOD and not because they are that cheap.

Anybody driving the water-cooled Harley-Davidson?

Quote:
    GM Austin said:
    Quote:

Yes, in fact, although I am sure no one at Porsche would ever admit to this, I have reliable insider information that Porsche has designed and engineered all current Ferrari motors!

If that is true, why would Porsche save their best work for another manufacture like Ferrari

Quote:
    If that is true, why would Porsche save their best work for another manufacture like Ferrari

Quote:
    GM Austin said:
    Quote:

Ferrari paid them better than Wendelin...

(just a joke, should be financially pretty interesting to work for Porsche)

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    761745 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435010 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260317 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257408 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80877 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5318 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871837 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807195 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM