Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Audi e-tron GT

throt:
    RC:
    JoeRockhead:

https://www.electrive.com/2021/03/16/audi-abandons-combustion-engine-development/

I expect a speed limit in Germany within this decade. Smiley

No more 300kph on the autobahn for you then Smiley Smiley

Speed is easy, gear the car high enough and 300kph will be a breeze. 

--

throt:
    RC:
    JoeRockhead:

https://www.electrive.com/2021/03/16/audi-abandons-combustion-engine-development/

I expect a speed limit in Germany within this decade. Smiley

No more 300kph on the autobahn for you then Smiley Smiley

Lately, I drive mostly around 270-280 kph, so... Smiley

To be honest: I am usually only on the Autobahn when I have to get from point A to point B as fast as possible. I enjoy driving my cars on country roads much more, the only exception is the Trackhawk, this thing is mostly fun on the Autobahn (surprise, surprise Smiley) and at stop lights. Smiley

When I chose the Performante instead of a possible GT2 RS or 720S at that time, I was already thinking about a speed limit in Germany because there were many rumors that big German car manufacturers like VW Group actually want a speed limit for their EVs (speed limit = better range). If they introduce a speed limit, at least I hope they put it at 150 or 160 kph, not 130 kph. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

Audi looking good for 2021 and beyond...  C7BEAB03-A272-4B0C-AF73-D01AEAA5AA36.gif

E0F26BDD-E91B-4EF4-964B-7C4204B9E420.gif

Operating margin far below target; however, last year was a challenging year.  

Interesting, Audi is ditching the development in ICE's... they are planning to have 20 electric models in the next 5 years... the article is on German...

Audi entwickelt keine Verbrennungsmotoren mehr (msn.com)

RC:
    the only exception is the Trackhawk, this thing is mostly fun on the Autobahn (surprise, surprise Smiley) and at stop lights. Smiley

RC,

You sound VERY American Smiley 

--

Mike

918 Spyder + Taycan Turbo + Tesla Roadster 1.5 & Model S P100D AP2 + BMWs (Z8 + 3.0 CSi) + Bentley Arnage T

W8MM:
    RC:
    the only exception is the Trackhawk, this thing is mostly fun on the Autobahn (surprise, surprise Smiley) and at stop lights. Smiley

RC,

And he loves Coke Smiley Smiley

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

991 GT3.2 pick up April/May 2018. ( Hairy Chest Spec ).

Vauxhall Zafira 1.6 Exclusive pick up June 2013. ( Shit Box )

Rennteam Hairy Chest Advisor.

W8MM:
    RC:

RC,

Smiley Tell that to your politicians. They do not want Americans in your country. Smiley Smiley I was hoping for some improvements for potential immigrants but it seems I have to enter the US illegally first and spend there a couple of years illegally before I am accepted.  Smiley Smiley Also, my English and my education are too good for that as well. Smiley Smiley Smiley

Kidding aside, the Trackhawk is an off the line monster at stop lights. Constantly 3.7 sec. (3.4 sec. 0-60 mph) without launch control and instant acceleration like an EV.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

Interesting video. Surprising that he likes the Audi better than the Porsche but not surprising that he still prefers the ICE.

Just listening to the sounds of that lustful BMW V8 shifted my decision towards the M5 CS too.  These cars are about emotions and no matter how much effort is expended in generating sounds for EVs they fall flat on aural emotion.  

Interesting article from the Truth About Cars on an early Audi/Mercedes EV product over sixty years ago.  Looks like Tesla isn’t the pioneer some think the company is in the marketplace. https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2021/06/rare-rides-the-very-obscure-dkw-schnellaster-elektro-wagon/ 

CGX car nut:

Interesting article from the Truth About Cars on an early Audi/Mercedes EV product over sixty years ago.  Looks like Tesla isn’t the pioneer some think the company is in the marketplace. https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2021/06/rare-rides-the-very-obscure-dkw-schnellaster-elektro-wagon/ 

You do realize some of the very first cars were electric. Including a Porsche designed car. 
    It s not that Tesla was the first Innovator. Tesla was the first to realize how wrong ICE is. Explain why some have not figured this out?  Imagine how far ahead we would be in so many areas if ICE had not sidetracked us. 

Everyone would just be in a transportation pod that takes them from point A to point B. Travelling like sheep in a herd. All of them would look exactly the same also.

No 500hp Tesla, with everything automated, the motor in my electric drill will be enough. 

Thank god we didn't focus on electric before, or else we won't get those amazing V8, V10, V12 F1 engines, the V10 in the CGT, the Ferrari V12s, the Porsche flat 6s. No Nurburgring, no Spa, no Laguna Seca, no Pikes Peak, no Indianapolis Speedway, no Daytona Speedway. The world would have been a very very boring place.

--

Whoopsy:

Thank god we didn't focus on electric before, or else we won't get those amazing V8, V10, V12 F1 engines, the V10 in the CGT, the Ferrari V12s, the Porsche flat 6s. No Nurburgring, no Spa, no Laguna Seca, no Pikes Peak, no Indianapolis Speedway, no Daytona Speedway. The world would have been a very very boring place.

+1000

Most Tesla fanatics don't like driving or even cars, so they wouldn't miss anything the poor souls, hence their jihad against ICE.

As much as I love cars and gasoline, we have to face it that the worlds of cars is changing. I never taught that I would say something like that, but not everything is bad. Yes combustion engines are and will always be the most emotional and most exciting way of driving, but I really see some very interesting things in the EV market. And taking into consideration that this cars are still in their infancy hard to imagine what the capabilities will be in 10 or 15 years form now. Still very sad to see our beloved engines disappear form the market (f.e. V8 in C- AMG mail). The „green force“ is on the rise…enlightened 

No EV will or can sing like a high revving V12 or V10 or even V8s. 

For people moving duties, EVs are where it needs to be. Simple transportation devices that takes people from A to B. 

Had we started the electric evolution much sooner, this could be out transport for the last few decades. With full auto driving in a predefined lane or something, no steering wheel, the car, or the pod, just takes you from A to B.

I can really see the current people movers, like Camrys, Accords, minivans, whatever, all replaced by EVs. Just like how  the Apple Watch and other watch/fitness combo thingy have replaced nice mechanical watches on most people's wrists. EVs will be like that, something disposable with no emotions attached. Just get a replacement when it breaks. 

The nice high end combustion engine cars will survive, in a bespoke segment, like how quality mechanical watches still going strong even with the invasion of electronic gadgets. It had survived the quartz 'revolution' after all.

--

Carlos from Spain:
    Whoopsy:

+1000

Most Tesla fanatics don't like driving or even cars, so they wouldn't miss anything the poor souls, hence their jihad against ICE.

Geez. Why must everything turn into some type of mind reading display which involves insulting people for having purchased a car they like?  If someone buys an EV does this keep you from buying a Ferrari or is there one less buyer in your way competing for your hot ICE car?  
    These statements of yours are not only inaccurate but they serve no purpose other than to insult a group of people you know nothing about other than the narrative promoted by people afraid of the future. 

Whoopsy:

For people moving duties, EVs are where it needs to be. Simple transportation devices that takes people from A to B. 

Had we started the electric evolution much sooner, this could be out transport for the last few decades. With full auto driving in a predefined lane or something, no steering wheel, the car, or the pod, just takes you from A to B.

I can really see the current people movers, like Camrys, Accords, minivans, whatever, all replaced by EVs. Just like how  the Apple Watch and other watch/fitness combo thingy have replaced nice mechanical watches on most people's wrists. EVs will be like that, something disposable with no emotions attached. Just get a replacement when it breaks. 

The nice high end combustion engine cars will survive, in a bespoke segment, like how quality mechanical watches still going strong even with the invasion of electronic gadgets. It had survived the quartz 'revolution' after all.

So in your world, let me understand, products get worse over time. Not better. Contrary to all of human history, the EV is the one exception.  Of course we are already seeing EV get worse. Just look at now and ten years ago.  I can see the decline.  And the fear of the unknown. 

Leawood911:
    Carlos from Spain:
    Whoopsy:

+1000

Geez. Why must everything turn into some type of mind reading display which involves insulting people for having purchased a car they like?  If someone buys an EV does this keep you from buying a Ferrari or is there one less buyer in your way competing for your hot ICE car?  
    These statements of yours are not only inaccurate but they serve no purpose other than to insult a group of people you know nothing about other than the narrative promoted by people afraid of the future. 

Read again...

Leawood911:
    Whoopsy:

So in your world, let me understand, products get worse over time. Not better. Contrary to all of human history, the EV is the one exception.  Of course we are already seeing EV get worse. Just look at now and ten years ago.  I can see the decline.  And the fear of the unknown. 

Where is the getting worse part? Smiley

In modern climate with the virus and stuff, an automated personal transportation pod is perfect acceptable. With it being automated, that means the driver doesn't need to drive anymore, just a rider. And with all these pods traveling in a dedicated lane, no more accidents either. 

--

There are many ICE cars with absolutely no sound from inside or outside even V8s and V12s Mercedes and BMWs. Doubt it will make a difference if they switch to electric motor. You will only have the rolling sound.

Acceleration test:

1000Km challenge. Bjorn new personal record.

I like how my model3 beats the Audi to 60 all the way to the 10% remaining. Mine is a 2020 but I think the difference is optimizing efficiency for the new heat pump. So if your Model3 has the octovalve it looks like performance drops with charge remaining. Not so much with cars like mine. 
    Wh/Km is going to become an important stat. It also drives how to measure how fast you charge since the best measure of charging is how many miles or Km you can recover per minute. 

Another competent review from Harry.  Seems like he is considering the Audi more of a Taycan 1.7 with apparent improvements over the Porsche.  He definitely understands his material and he seldom wades into areas he has little knowledge about unlike a few reviewers and YouTubers.  I watched a video before this review on Tesla’s new carbon sleeve stator.  The presenter’s lack of knowledge on the subject beyond a few Google searches was painfully on display throughout the video.  

Honestly, that's a complete bullshit of a review. 

The e-tron GT is a CAR, an AUTOMOBILE,  for chris sake. It's a fucking car first and a electric car second. Review it like a normal car. 

He never mentioned an F12 only goes 250km on a full tank when he reviewed that. He really do need to say it as it is instead of putting in a qualifier even before the review. Fact of the mater is that cities around the world is fucking up EV adoptions by not installing fast chargers everywhere. EV makers aren't helping the cause by not trying to increase charging speed, SPEED, not PEAK wattage. a 250kW charger is nothing it it can only maintains that for 5 mins. They be much better off charging at 150-175kW for the whole capacity. 

If a Ferrari can get by with a 250km range. and Harry does drives one to the city of London all the time and back, all EVs are fine with their current range. It's the infrastructure that's the problem and no one wants to improves that. Governments only needs to mandate at least one fast charger per gas station and the problem is half way solved. 

Right now the single biggest obstacle for EV adoption is infrastructure. Have them as numerous as gas stations and people will flogged to dealerships buying EVs. 

As the the car itself, it is as good, if not subjectively better than the Taycan. I think it looks better than the Taycan and at a cheaper price point for basically the same car.If I were to buy a EV right now and I don't already have a Taycan, I do not have a single reason to buy the Porsche. The only reason I am buying a second Taycan is that Audi doesn't offer a wagon version of the e-tron GT. Factoring price, the Audi is the best EV on the market right now, it has all the cutting edge tech from the Taycan at a lowered price point, nothing beats it. Some might argue a Tesla Model whatever is better, but no Tesla on market right now has a interior better than a base Corolla and for the priced you pay for a Tesla, that's just simply not a good deal.

--

Your response to the video sways towards the disingenuous.  Metcalfe has spent many shows discussing the lack of a reliable and accessible high speed charging network in the U.K.   As you are aware, charging an EV is more time consuming than replenishing the fuel tank of a more conventional automobile.  There’s plenty of opportunities for one to quickly refuel alongside the road on major British thoroughfares even if that car in question is a Ferrari F12 with a 250 km range.  With an EV, one must carefully plan the route to ensure charging facilities are readily available en route. Combine this with slow speed chargers and non-functioning chargers, traveling even a moderate distance become exponentially more time consuming with respect to planning than with an ICE.  But you knew this already.    

I have used superchargers maybe 1% of the time.  This is not what is holding back EVs. It’s the lack of batteries. Same old story and accurate. 

The current buyers are people like me who like having a virtual gas station at home.  It is the main selling point for me.  
    As long as there are not enough batteries for even 10% of buyers like me supercharging will not be government mandated in any way.  That would make no sense - production of batteries needs to catch up. It is like why there is no Tesla advertising- too many buyers already.  Hence you don’t see many other EV car ads. Especially since ICE makers need to sell their ICE inventory ASAP. 

Once batteries are available enough and they run out of significant home charging buyers you will see natural market forces drive the supply of superchargers just like today with gas stations.  It will be hard to estimate the future right now because there will be lots of home charging, some apartment charging, some free charging at stores and other locations and that leaves a pretty difficult to judge market to jump into not to mention the fast moving tech.  It’s more complicated than just big brother jumping in and mandating chargers  - unless you want to pay for such horrific decisions !!

If you are waiting for superchargers all over the place to buy an EV I suggest you move out of your apartment and buy a house so you can charge at home and skip 99% of supercharger trips. Home values will increase just for this alone. 

If you can not charge at home THEN DO NOT BUY AN EV. It would be like buying a washer/dryer, mounting it in the back of your pickup truck and driving to a ‘washer/dryer’ charger to do laundry. Water hookup included - all for 4x what you can get home power and water for and a line to wait in.    A Whoopsy worthy analogy!

A comparison to the F12 should include comparing it to charging at home and always having 300 miles of range handy when you leave.  Maybe give us the cost per mile when home charging at lowest rate. Mine is 1.25 cents per mile. 

And I haven't change tune ever. 

EV adoption is always about infrastructure. The cars themselves are all good enough. The general public consumers will always compare how convenient it is to 'refuel' and EV on the go as oppose to a normal car. 

There is a reason why hybrids sales are up, the public realize a hybrid can be refuelled just like a normal car yet have all the conveniences of an EV.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688821 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408826 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255578 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234833 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65428 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4638 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857673 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773572 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM