Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: HELP New To Porsche - Is RMS *THAT* common? Extnded Wa

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Ben,
    The 996 you call bullet proof, you called here "junk" and "disposable" on two ocasions, I don't find you are as negative in other forums as you are here, and the taking nick to task I remember it being elsewere as well. But anyhow you, like I and evereybody else can speak your mind, as long as it not disrespectful (to which you are boderline on ocasion lately though), so thats not it, I was just pointing out the change I have seen in you here. Its been one post after another now from someone I knew to be very balanced in his posts before. Its just my own personal perception so take it for what its worth.

Carlos, "my" 996 was bulletproof. It's now becomming fairly obvious I got real lucky with it. If you have noticed my tone has denegrated from happy pumper like many here to a little peaved at Porsche, there is a good reason for that. They have disappointed me mightily with the POS CT and the way they are (not) handling the RMS is also speaking very poorly for them - especially when combined with the crap going on with the SUV (maybe the V6 model is holding up better). Porsche is getting a bit too big for it's britches, greedy, and arrogant. That is my opinion and yes it has changed - especially over our 8 months with the abortion they lovingly refer to as the Cayenne.

Hello Carlos,
    Would the answer be simple enough: Is there any change to the engine from 996 to 997? At least in the areas involving the RMS problem--the seal, etc.?
    If there has been no change, then should we expect the same percentage of rms failure as 996?
    This thread hopefully will be helpful to people new to Porsche. Please don't make it a discussion about Ben. (Hello Ben, just kidding. Ok, only half kidding. I appreciate your replies.)
    Regards,
    Can

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    VKSF said:I would think PAG's financial guys have done the analysis on RMS warranty repair costs vs costs of engineering/building more robust engine block...and made logical choices. If quality problems become large enough, they eventually show up in co.'s financials (e.g., DaimlerChrysler's recent earnings release where Merc's warranty repair costs are jeopardizing profitability of co.).

You have nailed it. Thats the reason it continued unfixed during the entire lifespan of the 996/986. But passing it onto the new model is really too much, I don't think the quality image and customer satisfaction damage that it would cause would be offset by the R&D costs of redesigning the engine, thats why my rational part of my brain has a hard time believing they would do such a thing, though my emotional part doesn't have its hopes up

Hi cannga, we don't ahve ebough information on the exact cause of the RMS so we can't predict is the changes in the 997S 3.8l at leat solved the problem. There was specualtion the RMS on the 997 is from the Cayenne now but its not. Also if you are intereste in info on RMS, make a search on the 996 forum, it has been discussed many times and more deply than here.

Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    Something you might find interesting is all the positive PMs I've recieved re: my "conversations" of late with RC relative to the number received about those with Nick. It seems people have actually grown tired of much of the know it all (I'm not referring to you in that) BS around here.

I hope the PMs are not from the same people who try to lure away our users to other forums, especially 6speedonline.
    I'm happy I didn't apologize to you ben...I almost did.
    We have one advantage on our side compared to other forums: we're not making money with Rennteam.com and we have the luxury of being able to wait and see what happens. If you're monitoring the posts over the past few years, somebody might say "they know it all". It is funny, you and Nick suspect me and others from Rennteam to work for Porsche but on the other hand, you feel offended if we show a "we know all" attitude. Please make a choice: if we work for Porsche, we indeed know it all. And if not, your accusations sound even more ridiculous than they sounded in the past. Now what? Are we secret agents for big daddy "P" or just a bunch of people who put lots of effort, time, money and nerves to offer you guys some information you would never get elsewhere, especially not from Porsche directly. It is not my style to be rude but sometimes I'm really fed up. Rennteam.com is a private site, we are completely independent. We try to be honest and to unveil as much information as we can without putting our sources in danger. But sometimes I really get hot temper when people make sensational statements which are exaggerated, untrue, polemic and unjustified. Ever heard of the word "fairness"? I think Americans invented it.
    A little suggestion for everybody who thinks freedom of speech is more important than the truth and fairness: open up your own internet forum and try to keep it running. And you'll see how much time it takes and how much it hurts if people just WANT and don't GIVE.
    We have so many users who participate in the discussions and try to be part of this community by posting pictures, information, gossip, problems, etc. What you are doing is just bragging, whining, etc.. Is it some sort of revenge because Porsche didn't want to return your deposit back for the CGT and insisted on you taking the car? I really don't know but it starts to make sense. You want to "punish" Porsche? Sell your CGT and never buy a Porsche again. But in gods name, let it go and let us rest in peace. Of course Porsche isn't perfect and of course I have myself some issues with them, now more than ever. But this is between me and them, nothing I have to remind the rest of the world every single day. Amen.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    Something you might find interesting is all the positive PMs I've recieved re: my "conversations" of late with RC relative to the number received about those with Nick. It seems people have actually grown tired of much of the know it all (I'm not referring to you in that) BS around here.

I hope the PMs are not from the same people who try to lure away our users to other forums, especially 6speedonline.
    We have one advantage on our side compared to other forums: we're not making money with Rennteam.com and we have the luxury of being able to wait and see what happens. If you're monitoring the posts over the past few years, somebody might say "they know it all". It is funny, you and Nick suspect me and others from Rennteam to work for Porsche but on the other hand, you feel offended if we show a "we know all" attitude. Please make a choice: if we work for Porsche, we indeed know it all. And if not, your accusations sound even more ridiculous than they sounded in the past. Now what? Are we secret agents for big daddy "P" or just a bunch of people who put lots of effort, time, money and nerves to offer you guys some information you would never get elsewhere, especially not from Porsche directly. It is not my style to be rude but sometimes I'm really fed up. Rennteam.com is a private site, we are completely independent. We try to be honest and to unveil as much information as we can without putting our sources in danger. But sometimes I really get hot temper when people make sensational statements which are exaggerated, untrue, polemic and unjustified. Ever heard of the word "fairness"? I think Americans invented it.
    A little suggestion for everybody who thinks freedom of speech is more important than the truth and fairness: open up your own internet forum and try to keep it running. And you'll see how much time it takes and how much it hurts if people just WANT and don't GIVE.
    We have so many users who participate in the discussions and try to be part of this community by posting pictures, information, gossip, problems, etc. What you are doing is just bragging, whining, etc.. Is it some sort of revenge because Porsche didn't want to return your deposit back for the CGT and insisted on you taking the car? I really don't know but it starts to make sense. You want to "punish" Porsche? Sell your CGT and never buy a Porsche again. But in gods name, let it go and let us rest in peace. Of course Porsche isn't perfect and of course I have myself some issues with them, now more than ever. But this is between me and them, nothing I have to remind the rest of the world every single day. Amen.

None of those PMs came from users I've ever seen on 6Speed!

I post a lot of information - unfortunately some of the heads in the sand types view it as "negative". One of my goals is to make sure people know full and well about the RMS design defect and Cayenne problems BEFORE they buy. I will succeed in that goal A LOT until the problems are fixed. If they are not fixed, I will keep rehashing over and over and over as new members come onto these various boards daily. Further, existing members who don't read threads on particular models because they don't have one but come to start reading them when they decide to maybe buy one, also need this rehashing to make sure they don't make a mistake based on the lack of information you claim to want us to share.

BTW, I can't imagine why Nick would be dissatisfied with Porsche. Afterall, his Cayenne has been in for service (many times for the same things even) a crapload of times. Then to top it off, we drove 200+ miles round trip to the LA car show with the sales mgr from our Ferrari dealership. He thought it odd that the doors on the Cayenne wouldn't shut (not just not shut completely) especially given the pouring down rain. You'd shut the doors and sometimes they would act like there was a seatbelt in the jamb (which there wasn't) and sometimes they would just close. Sometimes, it would take as many as SIX tries in the rain to get the door closed.

I'm thrilled with my CGT, and the reason for initially wanting to cancel my order (as you WELL remember) was owing to direct experience behind the wheel in Larry's car. However, luckily some of the more important issues experienced in his car have not for some reason been experienced in mine. Why would I want to sell a car I'm thrilled with which has no equal (even if it wasn't worth $75k less than I paid for it a bit over 2 months ago)? Just so you don't have to listen to me anymore? Selling the Pcar I'm satisfied with is not the solution for shuting me up re: the one I'm NOT satisfied with or stopping me from the RMS enlightening campaign. That stuff will take Porsche actually fixing.

Re: HELP New To Porsche - Is RMS *THAT* common? Extnded Warr?

I believe the Tip equiped cars do not have the dual-mass flywheel....it may have something to do with it??

Hi RC,

The presence of the know it all is why I am here! I appreciate the know-it-all's.

FWIW, I am only a "newbie", but I would rate your site number one, based on quality and number of posts. Hope this helps to make you feel your effort is worthwhile.

I would say this much is true: Most, probably all, of us here *want* Porsche to be better. I want one for so long (I came to the US in 1975 at 16 and saw a 911, parked outside the office of the refugee camp I was in. Yep that was love at first site.), I most likely will take a chance on this mysterious RMS flaw.

Thanks and regards,
    Can

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    ben, lj said:

I noticed on another forum that a guy who worked for a Porsche service centre claims that RMS is not 'the' big problem with the recent line of 996 engines - but rather the intermediate drive shafts (seals?) are, and there have been new design revisions in this area for the later model 996's (and 997's ?)

He also said that he's had to change a RMS for a GT3, which supposedly immune from this defect. So perhaps this is just something inherient to the design of the boxer engines.

Weren't the old air-cooled engines "famous" for their oil leaks?

One more thought. If you think Porsche gets it so wrong with their engines, spare a thought for the Chevy/Holden owners with GenIII engines.

At one point in time, 10% of all V8 Holdens in Australia were suffering from piston slap issues and excessive oil consumption. Apparently the Corvette owners in the states were just prepared to top up the every oil now and then (that was the official explanation/solution.)

All I'm saying is, it could be worse...

DRA,

You are right about the intermediate shaft seal. Porsche released an TBS (Technical Service Bulletin) for the Porsche mechanics of the dealerships to, in case of a RMS leak, always replace the intermediate shaft seal as well along with the RMS. The reason is that they found that in some cases the leak was actually from the intermediated shaft seal and not from the RMS but the leak is hard to differenctiate. So when they suspect RMS they always change both just in case.

All cars (not only Porsches) can have RMS leaks, no matter what engine, it happens once in a while, so there have been a few cases of GT3's for example. But the problem is that the 996 carreras and Boxsters have an incidence of RMS leaks that is out of proportion and inexcusable, thats why we don't hear about RMS leaks in other Porsche models, yet in the carrera/boxsters its the single most reported and heard about mechanical issue of all by far, there is no denying the issue. And in a front and simple engined VW Golf, changing a RMS is a easy job and the seals itself are cheap, but in the 996 you have to put it on a lift and pull out the trasmission so 95% of the repair bill is labor work.

Like you say, it could be worse, its not something that should keep anyone from owning one, the problem is that it has gone on unfixed for over 7 years, Porsche is aware of it and neither fixes it or covers it officially out of warranty, and they "may" have not cared even to solve it in the new model type 997. Thats the real issue of the RMS, how Porsche is treating its customers and acting on the issue, not the leak itself, thats no big deal. Its not a big leak that can cause you damage you engine from oil starvation or leave you stranded anywere (just schedule an appointment with the shop and take it when you can if you happen to discover small drops of oil on the garage floor), and if you are out of warranty and Porsche importer of your country doesn't wan't to cover it out of good will, you are just looking at a $800-1000 job, considering what a other makers chage you for regular maintenace issues its not a big deal, its more expensive to blow a tire and have to replace the rears or the fronts.

Carlos,

What do you suppose is holding them back from comming up with a proper fix?

I remember reading some time ago that starting with the 996 there was a new manufacturing process involved with the engine block, and that Subaru was involved with this work.

Frankly it's hard to believe that Subaru can build bulletproof boxer engines (with no oil leaks) and Porsche can't. Maybe they need more consulting time...

Does anyone have the "inside word" on this issue... What do Porsche internally think of this problem?

Daniel

Quote:
    DRA said:
    Carlos,

What do you suppose is holding them back from comming up with a proper fix?

My guess would be that its inherent design fault, and they would have to redesign the engine and they are not willing or don't feel pushed or pressured to.

Also, Subaru doesn't build "bulletproof" engines either. I have seen some of their boxer fours leaking and burning oil like crazy. Of course, that was after many miles, and I suspect some owner abuse. My point is though, no one builds perfect engines, or transmissions for that matter. We think of Toyota as being the maker of some very reliable products, however, I have had personal experience with their 5 speed manual transmission that points to the same corporate decision process that Carlos correctly accuses Porsche of. The fifth gear bearing in that transmission fails after about 50-70k miles. Everyone I know of with a Toyota pickup or 4Runner with a 5 speed manual has had to have that bearing replaced. I know of one man who had to pay for the repair himself even though the truck was still under warranty. The dealer accused him of abusing the vehicle by shifting into 5th too quickly, lugging the engine down and stressing the 5th gear bearing until it failed. What a crock! The last I heard, that 5th gear bearing was still failing on new Toyotas and there has been no redesign.

To my knowledge RMS leakages happen mostly because of carelessness during the engine building process (which is still done mostly by hand). Human error...nothing you can really do about.

Quote:
    RC said:
    ben, sorry to say that but you're talking BS. I watched your posts for a long time now and all you do is criticizing, bragging and whining.
    In my opinion, you're better off with a Lexus or Ford (they offer excellent customer service for their F150 trucks, right? ).

The RMS issue is NOT a common thing on the 997. In fact, to my knowledge, there hasn't been one single CONFIRMED RMS issue yet on the 997. If I would trust what dealers or mechanics say, I would have ended up driving a...Lexus.

I know many many 997 in customer hands and up til now there is no "issue" like for example the throttle hesitation on the Cayenne Turbo (which is annoying but not really something people have to worry about).
    I know of several 997 which had their clutch exchanged, maybe due to the fact that some of them were dealer demo cars which went to customers.
    There is no perfect car, among 1000 cars there can always be one with a broken engine or electronics problems.
    So far, my 997 Carrera S has been trouble free and unlikely others, I was driving this car in deep winter time and under almost any imaginable driving conditions. And trust me, I don't drive it like a Lexus.

The internet is a great source of information but unfortunately it is also the best source for gossip, false statements, rumours, conspiracy theories and even lies.
    I don't say that the RMS thing can't happen on the 997, I just say that there is no confirmed case yet and I give a damn on what a dealer or mechanic says because in my opinion, 90% of them don't have a clue about the cars they're selling or maintaining. If would be Porsche, I would do every 6 months some sort of EXAMS to test my mechanics and dealers if they actually ever read the information they get from the factory. Sounds crazy? We're talking about products which could put life in danger, a doctor also has to read his specialty magazines to be able to learn the latest information about methods and drugs. I expect the same from the guys who take care of my 180 mph toy.

If you go to any forum, you'll find a few vocal members exagerating issues with their specific cars to epidemic proportions. With the Evolution, it was the clutch and transfer case. With the Z28, it was the Optispark. With the Cobra, it was the half-shafts.

Every car has their share of problems, especially performance cars. If someone is looking for a comparable brand with an immunity to issues or reliability failures, they should be looking towards buying a Honda or Toyota.

Expecting perfection at any price along with world-class performance is ridiculous.

Quote:
    RC said:
    To my knowledge RMS leakages happen mostly because of carelessness during the engine building process (which is still done mostly by hand). Human error...nothing you can really do about.

As long as Porsche uses a cheaper to manufacture bolted-in crankshaft cradle on these engines, the RMS issue will continue due to production toleranaces leading to offcentered cranks, IMO. The GT2/Turbo/GT3 cases have an integrated cradle - no chance for variance.

Please what means "RMS"

Quote:
    bear said:
    Please what means "RMS"

Rear Main Seal

thank you SoCal Alan.

Quote:
    MKW said:
    Quote:
    RC said:

As long as Porsche uses a cheaper to manufacture bolted-in crankshaft cradle on these engines, the RMS issue will continue due to production toleranaces leading to offcentered cranks, IMO. The GT2/Turbo/GT3 cases have an integrated cradle - no chance for variance.

Thats exactly my opinion, thats why it happens to carrera/boxster engines and not to the GT2/Turbo/GT3 engines .
    Building process quality issues (or also parts quality issues) would affect both types of engines regardless and also would be very easily solved. And even the re-manufactured substitution carrera/boxster engines which are more carefully built in a separate process than original factory car's engines get RMS leaks just as well.

But since its the design of this new more economical engine and which is different from the GT2/GT3/Turbo/993 in this aspect, thats is what is at fault and there is no way of fixing it until changed, hence it goes on and on without a fix.

To Carlos (and others),
    Thanks for the informative replies. They have helped to reduce the confusion re. RMS, for me and I am sure for other lurkers new to Porsche. Carlos, I would like to designate you as Rennteam's Number One Know-It-All.
    Thanks and regards,
    Can
    Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    MKW said:
    Quote:
    RC said:

Thats exactly my opinion, thats why it happens to carrera/boxster engines and not to the GT2/Turbo/GT3 engines .
    Building process quality issues (or also parts quality issues) would affect both types of engines regardless and also would be very easily solved. And even the re-manufactured substitution carrera/boxster engines which are more carefully built in a separate process than original factory car's engines get RMS leaks just as well.

But since its the design of this new more economical engine and which is different from the GT2/GT3/Turbo/993 in this aspect, thats is what is at fault and there is no way of fixing it until changed, hence it goes on and on without a fix.

Quote:
    cannga said:
    To Carlos (and others),
    Thanks for the informative replies. They have helped to reduce the confusion re. RMS, for me and I am sure for other lurkers new to Porsche.

Glad I could help in this topic, we come together here to help each other out in what we can and share our passion and infos ... and welcome to the forum BTW

Quote:
    GM Austin said:
    Also, Subaru doesn't build "bulletproof" engines either. I have seen some of their boxer fours leaking and burning oil like crazy. Of course, that was after many miles, and I suspect some owner abuse. My point is though, no one builds perfect engines, or transmissions for that matter. We think of Toyota as being the maker of some very reliable products, however, I have had personal experience with their 5 speed manual transmission that points to the same corporate decision process that Carlos correctly accuses Porsche of. The fifth gear bearing in that transmission fails after about 50-70k miles. Everyone I know of with a Toyota pickup or 4Runner with a 5 speed manual has had to have that bearing replaced. I know of one man who had to pay for the repair himself even though the truck was still under warranty. The dealer accused him of abusing the vehicle by shifting into 5th too quickly, lugging the engine down and stressing the 5th gear bearing until it failed. What a crock! The last I heard, that 5th gear bearing was still failing on new Toyotas and there has been no redesign.

I know of many Subaru engines with high milage without any work done to them. Conversely, I know of a few which have been abused ("tuned") that have failed in a rather dramatic fashion. All I mean to say was, there doesn't seem to be any long outstanding issues (like RMS) with their design/build process.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691046 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410166 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256220 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235415 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65746 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858816 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775118 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM