Crown

Board: Porsche - Taycan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Taycan Turbo S short review from South Korea

Just had a Taycan Turbo S delivered last week in Korea and wanted to share a few thoughts.

I know Porsche management reads Rennteam board so wanted to mention a few things for them to notice.

Handling - I wish the entire car was a few % smaller in volume. I was expecting it to be more sporty but I think the car is closer to Panamera than a 911.  Having said that what I really ask for and also most disappointed is that the Taycan can benefit from being more sporty.  Taycan definately has that solid German sedan feel, but it also feels heavy and clumsy like other German brands.  I was hoping for lighter and lively feel as in a 911.  We have so many choices when it comes to sporty sedan nowadays (AMG, BMW M, Audi RS), but if anyone can pull the true sports sedan off, it could have been Porsche.

Acceleration - Having also owned Tesla for years, EV's acceleration performance is nothing new.  

Braking - Perhaps the most satisfying part of driving a Taycan.  The sheer weight of the car can be felt during acceleration and cornering, where that is a hindering factor.  However when braking you do feel the weight but with that swooshing braking sound and dependable PCCB brake feel, it is the most satisfying experience.  I find myself intentionally carrying the speed till the last moment just to feel that awesome braking experience over and over.  Well done Porsche. 

Disappointments! - I wish there is a way to modulate the recuperation rate for recharging during off throttle.  I know Porsche's set up is different from Tesla's where one can be driven with one pedal.  Porsche focuses more on coasting as one believes that is more energy efficient way of driving.  However, I believe that if there is a way to increase the deceleration rate by the driver input, it would have the same effect as having a higher final gear in an ICE car, thus contributing to a sportier gearing setup.  This will also allow sportier driving.  Wish I can modulate the recharge/recuperation rate off throttle with much higher threshold to slow down the car than now.  Please update a menu to modulate the recuperation rate by driver input, via OTA, if possible.

Disappointments!! - The generated EV sound is cool but wish there is a way to modulate the volume.  Sometimes I feel like pumping up the volume for my drive enjoyment and also when driving narrow streets with pedestrians.  The sound is not loud enough, and pedestrians barely notice I am there. Please allow a way to increase the EV sound volume.

Disappointments!!!! - I don't know what's going on but "Porsche Connect" app and "My Porsche ID" is not being supported in South Korea for the Taycan at the moment.  I have not received "My Porsche ID" and the explanation I got was that it's simply not supported here.  I don't know what Porsche Korea is thinking but Porsche Korea sold over a $1 billion worth of cars in Korea in 2020, which is more than those sold in Japan.  This is certainly unacceptable as the smartphone app is an essential part of EV experience.  For example, I need to check the charging status of my car before my trip begins.  I believe the app situation needs immediate attention and should be corrected by the Porsche top management ASAP.  

Personally, looking forward to Taycan Coupe.  It doesn't have to be a 2+2, just 2 seater would be fine as it will make the entire car smaller, therefore differentiate it enough to be sportier user experience.  This would be the modern day 928 and will be a really cool car to own and daily drive.  Please make one.  

Re: Taycan Turbo S short review from South Korea

Porsche set the maximum throttle lift regen braking to 0.1g if you engage it. Good enough to maintain speed on downhills, that's about it. 

The car is an amazing coaster, it maintains speed when lifted off throttle for a really long time.

--

Whoopsy:

Porsche set the maximum throttle lift regen braking to 0.1g if you engage it. Good enough to maintain speed on downhills, that's about it. 

The car is an amazing coaster, it maintains speed when lifted off throttle for a really long time.

IMHO Porsche is wrong to not enable one pedal driving. Adding the ability to increase regen is a no brainer. Our friend in Korea is right.   His Teslas have spoiled him.  Note that the acceleration for him was expected and average.  Porsche is counting on people who have not owned other EVs to be shocked by the push off the line. I get that totally. The first car that does this for you makes an impression.  After that it is just comparisons and things like one pedal driving or smart phone functionality sometimes matter more.  

When I drive my other ice cars the feeling of coasting is actually disconcerting. Makes me feel like the car is a runaway train.  Once you drive with just one pedal going back to using the brake or coasting seems wrong. 

One pedal driving is stupid. It's not normal.

My gf's dad has a Model 3 and she hates driving it. She however loves driving my Taycan. It feels normal to her. 

Her dad also hates the lift off regen in the Model 3, it's the one single thing he hates about the Tesla. 

The only reason Tesla has the strong lift off regen is that they can't master hybrid braking. And because they had the quasi monopoly of EV cars before, people think that's a EV trait to have. It isn't. Driving a Tesla is like driving a normal car in 1st gear. 

--

Whoopsy:

One pedal driving is stupid. It's not normal.

My gf's dad has a Model 3 and she hates driving it. She however loves driving my Taycan. It feels normal to her. 

Her dad also hates the lift off regen in the Model 3, it's the one single thing he hates about the Tesla. 

The only reason Tesla has the strong lift off regen is that they can't master hybrid braking. And because they had the quasi monopoly of EV cars before, people think that's a EV trait to have. It isn't. Driving a Tesla is like driving a normal car in 1st gear. 

They could still provide the choice to increase regen for those who prefer that.

you are a bit hung up on old tech.  If switching from a horse to a car you would want reigns and a whip to stop the car.  There is nothing more natural than one pedal driving for me.  But I can’t speak for everyone else as well as you seem to be able to.
    The Tesla only has one gear, they can’t help the fact that other cars need more than that.  Since the model3 is silent when it is moving it is impossible to tell if you are in a gear at all.  Driving an ICE car would be a bit too noisy in just first gear so you are again comparing apples to oranges except that at any speed the Tesla acceleration is like being in first gear of an ICE. 
    In your response I count three people who don’t like one pedal driving.  It would be interesting to see how more people who have tried one pedal driving feel  the same way  

PS You may want to clue in your Tesla friends about the fact that they can turn off one pedal driving and coast all they want while always using the brake.  The Tesla is happy to do anything you want it to.  The Porsche - will likely charge extra, with the next model, to one pedal drive.

Or Tesla can develop proper blended hybrid braking instead.

It's not about hanging up on old tech, it ain't broken why fix it? Why do Teslas kept the steering wheel? Why don't they switch it to a touch screen steering? Or using a fighter jet stick? Or why do they still uses 'old tech' gas pedal?

They way a Tesla drives is basically driving a normal car in first gear, jerking along the way. 

--

Whoopsy:

It's not about hanging up on old tech, it ain't broken why fix it? Why do Teslas kept the steering wheel? Why don't they switch it to a touch screen steering? Or using a fighter jet stick? Or why do they still uses 'old tech' gas pedal?

They way a Tesla drives is basically driving a normal car in first gear, jerking along the way. 

Blended braking?  That’s a joke. Any braking done by the pads rather than the motor wastes power that could go to the batteries instead.  There is no good reason why Porsche can’t give people the choice and I bet they will soon.  Tesla has the best of both worlds - use all the brakes you want - but after about an hour you see it makes no sense at all to use brakes rather then regen. None. Unless you like sitting and charging.  It’s like hybrid thinking which is perhaps the explanation in your case. 
    Gee. In case you have not noticed they are all about getting rid of all of those things and allowing people to enjoy the free time. 
    Maybe if Porsche could master one pedal driving they would get more than 200 miles of range?  Lol. 
    If there is a smoother car to drive I don’t know of it. I call it my magic carpet.   I have zero clue about what you are talking about when say it is jerky or in first gear. Seriously weird 

That shows your ignorance.

In all makes, the brake pedal first engages the electric motors for braking duties, after a threshold then the friction brakes engages. In Porsche's case, 0.4g is the cut off. Do you know how hard 0.4g braking is? That's more than any city driving's needs. go whip out your g-meter and check to see how hard 0.4g of braking feels like.

Tesla 'invented' one pedal driving simply due to cutting cost. Nothing more. It's cheaper for them to use a conventional brake system for the brake pedal instead of spending the money to develop blended braking. And even cheaper for them to program the gas pedal to start regen braking when it's in the off position. 

One pedal became a 'thing' cause Tesla has the quasi monopoly on EVs before, so everyone is forced to accept one pedal driving as 'normal'. It isn't. It was nothing more than a cost cutting and time saving move by Tesla. 

Just because all the Teslas uses one pedal driving doesn't make it the 'correct' way, or the 'better' way, it's just a 'different' way as compared to normal driving. Everyone expect their car to coast when off throttle, not braking suddenly. And People coast on highways and city roads all the time. That's how normal people drives, EVs or not. 

--

Leawood911:
    Whoopsy:

Blended braking?  That’s a joke. Any braking done by the pads rather than the motor wastes power that could go to the batteries instead.  There is no good reason why Porsche can’t give people the choice and I bet they will soon.  Tesla has the best of both worlds - use all the brakes you want - but after about an hour you see it makes no sense at all to use brakes rather then regen. None. Unless you like sitting and charging.  It’s like hybrid thinking which is perhaps the explanation in your case. 
    Gee. In case you have not noticed they are all about getting rid of all of those things and allowing people to enjoy the free time. 
    Maybe if Porsche could master one pedal driving they would get more than 200 miles of range?  Lol. 
    If there is a smoother car to drive I don’t know of it. I call it my magic carpet.   I have zero clue about what you are talking about when say it is jerky or in first gear. Seriously weird 

Sorry, that's just silly. Blended braking is clearly the superior concept as it involves no decision on part of the driver on how to decelerate. As far as I understand it the Porsche will start recuperation when you press the brake pedal and only use the physical brakes if it cannot decelerate quickly enough. So in real life most of the braking is done through recuperation even though the driver is not aware of this. It's also my understanding that the Porsche can recuperate way more energy than the Tesla (too lazy to look it up). The fact that Porsche was able to calibrate the braking system in such a way that you can't tell when it's recuperating vs. braking is clearly more advanced than the Tesla way. 
    That being said, both brands should offer the option to switch between one-pedal driving and the conventional approach IMO as there are drivers who prefer one over the other.   

Whoopsy:

Just because all the Teslas uses one pedal driving doesn't make it the 'correct' way, or the 'better' way, 

Nick, Nick, Nick... have you learned nothing? Everything Tesla does is the correct and better way, full stop. Smiley

Repeat after me... Non blended braking? ... better. Only one gear?... better. Only touch screen controls?... better. Lack of adecuate driver attention supervision during autopilot?... better. No radar or lidar for FSD?... better. Cheap spartan interior? ... better. Half baked software that is fixed later via OTAs?... better. And so on, see, it's simple indecision

Carlos from Spain:
    Whoopsy:

Just because all the Teslas uses one pedal driving doesn't make it the 'correct' way, or the 'better' way, 

Nick, Nick, Nick... have you learned nothing? Everything Tesla does is the correct and better way, full stop. Smiley

Repeat after me... Non blended braking? ... better. Only one gear?... better. Only touch screen controls?... better. Lack of adecuate driver attention supervision during autopilot?... better. No radar or lidar for FSD?... better. Half baked software that is fixed later via OTAs?... better. And so on, see, it's simple indecision

I totally agree. Lol. 
    choice of coasting or one pedal driving is all I was pointing out. It would be nice. Why use two pedals when on works fine. Think slot car racing. 
    gears are really not something I’m missing. 0-60 in 3 seconds, one penny per mile in electric costs and 164 mph top speed. Do I need gears to accelerate quicker , to go faster or to save money?  Does not reduced complexity, cost and durability have a value?  What would an extra gear help me with?  Seriously
    It is fiction that there are only touch screen controls. We have covered this. How about horn, wiper, the turn signals, pedals, wheel. All the stuff you need. And then - the touch screen controls hundred of functions most of which other cars don’t have. No time for a list. Then there is voice control and control from your smart phone. 
    we will see who implements full self driving first.  I’m impressed with their progress, others are as well. We already know the competition is years behind. It may not be done or complete but nothing you can buy today is any better. 
    That was a great dodge on the OTA. Can’t do OTA - just pretend the Tesla software is buggy until you can also do OTA. 
    Show me one piece of software which is bug free - OTA or not. Personally I have not had any OTA issues with my Tesla. 
    One thing I predict  - Porsche will do OTA and offer one pedal driving as soon as they are able to - and make a big deal out of it.
    Happy Memorial Day!  I salute all our brave service members and especially those who gave their lives to ensure our future. 
    cheers 

Indeed, Nick has a lot to learn, he only has two different EVs and two high end hybrids Smiley... if he only knew that one Tesla can do it all... better  hail.gif  but, one day everybody will understand leawood, you just keep trying Smiley

Joking aside, nobody will be implementing FSD any time soon, and whoever promises it in this decade is lying... wouldn't be the first time, won't be the last.

Carlos from Spain:

Indeed, Nick has a lot to learn, he only has two different EVs and two high end hybrids Smiley... if he only knew that one Tesla can do it all... better  hail.gif  but, one day everybody here will understand leawood, you just keep at it Smiley

I’m here to help. You’re all welcome.  It’s always fun to talk cars. Had a blast with my turbo the other night. Topped it out for the first time since I have owned it. With 120k miles on the clock and 14 years it managed a respectable 304 kph (Mexico as Brooks would say).  Trust me I still have my ICE feet on my ground. 

Btw. I get that woopsy’s investment in a 918 and various other EV and hybrids, which are all non Tesla, makes him totally objective.  I have owned 911s and Porsches for 42 years now and my Tesla investment is a tiny fraction of my Porsche investment.  Sooooo I’m sure  He would never rationalize his choices and I’m certain if he were to spend a lot of time in a Tesla he would not enjoy it just for boring interior alone. 

Seriously though - I work hard and I don’t have a budget for cars after getting two kids through grad school. Nor does it make sense as I need to build savings like crazy. So in my unique position of being able to charge cheap and at home or at the lake house 150 miles away I have really appreciated the value in the little hummer. That’s all. Did not think it would be possible this late in life in my position.
    Therefor I would hate to see my friends miss out on any of that based on some pretty outrageous exaggerations - at times. Of course some is true and news to me as well but the balance of the experience in real life, in my and only my personal perspective, is overwhelmingly positive. 
    And more than that - I get to chat with some amazing online individuals!!!  The two Nicks, Carlos, RC, Emma, Mike keeping me out of jail all these years and of course my Co-pilot Gladstone.  Thanks for all these years of fun and learning. 

But we have seen Nick critize Porsche plenty of times, being very honest, he calls it as he sees it. Also he has/had cars from all the different brands, just not Tesla, so there is no protecting any investment. For some a Tesla makes sense, but on the other hand there doesn't need to be a obscure reason for someone not to like Teslas, that is the point I'm trying to make, they are very particular cars that are not for everyone.

I am not asking to decide whether one pedal driving is better than traditional braking setup.

All I am asking is the ability for the driver to adjust deceleration rate during off-throttle.  I've noticed that deceleration is stronger in the sport mode compared to normal mode, but I am used to sports cars and would appreciate higher deceleration rate (as in higher final gear ratio in a hardcore sports car transmission setup).

Carlos from Spain:

But we have seen Nick critize Porsche plenty of times, being very honest, he calls it as he sees it. Also he has/had cars from all the different brands, just not Tesla, so there is no protecting any investment. For some a Tesla makes sense, but on the other hand there doesn't need to be a obscure reason for someone not to like Teslas, that is the point I'm trying to make, they are very particular cars that are not for everyone.

And I have also been critical of plenty of Tesla stuff.  Importantly I recommend them only if you can charge at home.  Also, you might notice, I am clear that this works for me and these are just my opinions.  I don’t try to convince people who can’t charge at home to go get one. Maybe people are expecting a certain response from me (most of the time) so anything not fitting the narrative attached to me is overlooked or not even visible.  I also try to stay away from personal attacks and try to return comments like ‘ignorant’ with kindness and understanding. 
    fyi - when the windows are down in a Tesla and you close the doors they rattle like shit. You won’t hear that from a test driver. I always listen for these little issues an owner would know about but most testers are working with a script of features and shortcomings and just produce content for clicks. You guys know, from your own car ownership experience, what I am talking about. It applies to pretty much all car tests going back to magazines from 50 years ago. 

Jean:

I am not asking to decide whether one pedal driving is better than traditional braking setup.

All I am asking is the ability for the driver to adjust deceleration rate during off-throttle.  I've noticed that deceleration is stronger in the sport mode compared to normal mode, but I am used to sports cars and would appreciate higher deceleration rate (as in higher final gear ratio in a hardcore sports car transmission setup).

Porsche set the off throttle regen deceleration to 0.1g, enough to maintain speed going downhill but nothing more. My e-tron has 2 steps for lift off regen and the 2nd step is stronger than the Porsche. Since the e-tron doesn't have a g-meter built in I can't quite tell you how strong it is. It does have a energy meter which the Porsche doesn't. On the e-Tron step 1 is 30kW capture and 2nd step is 45kW. 

--

Tim:
    Leawood911:
    Whoopsy:

Sorry, that's just silly. Blended braking is clearly the superior concept as it involves no decision on part of the driver on how to decelerate. As far as I understand it the Porsche will start recuperation when you press the brake pedal and only use the physical brakes if it cannot decelerate quickly enough. So in real life most of the braking is done through recuperation even though the driver is not aware of this. It's also my understanding that the Porsche can recuperate way more energy than the Tesla (too lazy to look it up). The fact that Porsche was able to calibrate the braking system in such a way that you can't tell when it's recuperating vs. braking is clearly more advanced than the Tesla way. 
    That being said, both brands should offer the option to switch between one-pedal driving and the conventional approach IMO as there are drivers who prefer one over the other.   

The number you looking for is 265kW/hr. That's 355 hp of stopping power just from the regenerative braking alone when one step on the brakes. Up to 0.4g of the braking is done this way.

--

Whoopsy:
    Tim:
    Leawood911:
    Whoopsy:

The number you looking for is 265kW/hr. That's 355 hp of stopping power just from the regenerative braking alone when one step on the brakes. Up to 0.4g of the braking is done this way.

Blended braking also provides for more braking consistency across different SoCs and different mu conditions.  That's something where Tesla has a distinct disadvantage compared with many other cars.  Just look at the number of videos posted on the strange braking characteristics of Teslas, especially on Model S/X, in icy conditions.  Silly things like brake blending and brake bias aren't needed in the world of Elon.  

Carlos from Spain:

It's ok Carlos. When I describe something I am not putting on a Porsche hat or a Tesla hat. I try to see things from the general public's point of view. Not from a minority's point of view.

Joe Smith or Jane Doe down the road only sees an EV has a certain range, and it takes really long to recharge the battery and there aren't enough chargers like gas stations. That's their point of view. They also would be driving an automatic car instead of manual, so the 'engine braking' feel of lift off regen would be a foreign concept to them and not natural at all. They are not going to adjust their style to fit a car, they will find a car that fits. A Tesla fan boy would find that weird, as they can adjust their style to the car, why can't others. They forgot the fact that they WANTED to be the early adopters, so they don't mind adjusting to the car. The general public don't have such behaviour. They won't buy a Civic for Home Depot runs. IF they use the Tesla fan mentality, they would claim yeah it works, I just have to make multiple trips and using the roof as extra storage. But normal people would just say well if I do those runs a lot, a pickup truck would make much more sense than buying a Civic. Simple logic. 

--

We have a Tesla Model S and a Taycan Turbo for everyday driving.  I drive them both from time to time, but mostly "my" Taycan because my wife usually drives the Tesla.

1)  Nick is right when he says one-pedal-driving was a low-cost workaround for Tesla in the early days.  Very simple engineering.  Unusually strong "engine braking".  It was weird, but very effective in practice.  The Tesla is limited to 60 kW of recuperation on lift throttle which is good for modest deceleration.  Extra slowing down requires friction brakes.  The Taycan will be more efficient in high-dynamic driving because it can recuperate more than 4-times as much as the Tesla before requiring friction brake assist.  Porsche requires less friction braking in sporty driving.

2)  I find the blended, progressive recuperation/friction method used by Porsche to be more natural and easier to drive smoothly.  Don't forget that my first decade of driving electric cars was in Teslas (Roadster 1.5/Model S).  I'm very well versed in one-pedal driving, particularly one-pedal driving while in a hurry and also while trying to be chauffeur-like smooth.  In a medium hurry it's close to a toss up in feel.  In a real hurry, I like blended better.  In a modest hurry, but trying to be smooth, it's no contest.  Blended is so much easier to operate because the transition from heavy to lighter braking doesn't have the deceleration g-forces counteracting one's leg & foot motion/pressure while trying to lift off the throttle the tiniest amount.  It can be done (a struggle) with one-pedal slowing, but it's soooo much easier to adjust with blended braking because g-forces and pedal pressure work in tandem and not in opposition.  Autocrossers might not notice.

--

Mike

918 Spyder + Taycan Turbo + Tesla Roadster 1.5 & Model S P100D AP2 + BMWs (Z8 + 3.0 CSi) + Bentley Arnage T

Great explanation Mike. I appreciate it. Makes perfect sense. 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690345 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409654 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255923 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235165 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65635 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4654 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858335 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774583 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM