Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

41 years old; finally ordered my first Porsche.

Hi Everyone, (my first post!)

I can't remember the last time I was this excited about getting a new car. So far the process has been excellent; now for the long wait. I received the pro forma/reference number yesterday with expected delivery late April/early May.

Here's the list, what do you all think? Did I over do it? I think I might have gotten carried away, but what the hec, it's only money (lol). Luckily it will be a cash purchase. I hate having car payments.

Boxster S
    Slate Grey / Black Top
    Full Leather - Black
    Sport Seats
    Black Mats
    Heated Seats
    PASM
    Sport Chrono
    Wind Stop Deflector
    Bi-Xenon
    Sport Shifter
    Sport Steering Wheel
    Porsche Crest in Headrest
    Chrome Exhaust Pipe
    19" Carrera Classic Wheel
    Wheel Caps in Colored Crest

I'm hoping Slate Grey w/ 19" Carrera Classics will make for a good combo. I realize that I've optioned myself almost into 911 territory, but after driving the Boxster S and a 911 Carrera back to back, I had more fun in the Boxster.

Cheers to everyone here, I look forward to sharing some discussions with you all later!

Re: 41 years old; finally ordered my first Porsche.

Excellent choice you won't regret it, I'm sure you'll enjoy it immensley .

I think it should be illegal that your first post as a member of Rennteam is one where you proclaim you just ordered a new Boxster S.
    I already hate you. Go away!

PS: Some people in here might welcome you. They dont really mean it.

(Better make sure I say JUST KIDDING, IM BEING IRONIC! WELCOME! HAVE FUN!)....but I still hate you.

Hi and welcome!!!!

Looks like a good spec! Lots of nice toys!!!

The waiting for the car to turn up is a killer although youve waited 41 years already so a few more weeks wont hurt!!!!

Yes I am with DrPhill!!!, I hate you!!haha , just kidding!.

Yes your 987S is in the range of the 997carrera price. Your choice is excellent+fully fully equipped!!!

My congratulations on your GREAT 987S!!!...and welcome to this magnific forum as well

Very nice spec and great choice with Slate Grey

Did you consider wheels painted to match exterior color? That would look unbelievable with the slate grey. I don't like it too much on some of the other colors but it's really sharp on slate and seal grey. Always something you can get done afterwards as well.

You won't regret it (I'm 41, too). Trust me!

Re: Very nice spec and great choice with Slate Grey

Unfortunately, the painted wheels option is not available with the Carrera Classic wheels.
    You're right, though, if you get slate or seal grey, you MUST take that option. "Awesome" would almost be an understatement.

Re: Very nice spec and great choice with Slate Grey

Thanks for your comments all! Yes there is this definite feeling of 'stepping up', even the quality of the posts I've read from the members of this forum seem to reflect this. I'm anxiously waiting to live the Porsche experience

AJBoston: Yes- I actually tried to order the car w/ Carrera S wheels along with painted wheels option but my dealer said it is not available yet. The option is available on the 911, but not for the Boxster.

I wound up going with the Classic wheel because I personally love the clean look of it. I really had a difficult time choosing the wheel; I like them all. On another note, the chrome exhaust option says it isn't available until 3/05 but they were able to get it onto the pro forma. Go figure. Anyone else (at least in U.S.) able to order the painted wheel option? Just want to make sure it's not a dealer specific issue.

tick-tock-tick-tock.....

Quote:
    Holminator said:

Are you giving us the old double-finger salute?
    Nasty old man

Quote:
    DrPhil said:
    Quote:
    Holminator said:

Nasty old man

Nooooooooooooooooo, it's a surfer thing (of course, I haven't learned to surf yet but no matter); it means "hang loose." Isn't that right?

Correct, it's a surfer thing! (and all those kind of sport, snowboard, etc...)
    Not sure what it really means but been surfing for many years, and we do it all the time!

I thought it meant...something else
    But what do I know? Im obviously not hip wit da hipsters, down wit da crowd, fo shizzle wit ma kabizzle and a whoooogi-whooogi-whooogogogogogogog-hallaballa-falla-hooogga-mooogga-hip-hop....erm. Sorry, got a bit carried away.

Alright. Dismissed.

I'm glad you told us. I've bought a lot of Porsches, but I never had the self control to order one. The fact that you have your affairs together so well that you can ORDER your FIRST Porsch says a whole lot about you.

Anybody can do what I've done. With Rennlist here, within minutes after purchase, I can have guys share my new Porsche event, and know they really mean it. I don't know if I've ever heard of someone Ordering their First Porsche. I bet you got a prize coming.

That's a pretty cool guy there. It's pretty cool that I can sit down here and fell a little of your good fortune coming right through this screen. Pretty cool. Pretty deep. Thank you.

Welcome, just can't wait to read the opinion of somebody who didn't own a Porsche before. Curiously awaiting a short review and pictures.

Quote:
    MHakkinen said:
    Hi Everyone, (my first post!)

I can't remember the last time I was this excited about getting a new car. So far the process has been excellent; now for the long wait. I received the pro forma/reference number yesterday with expected delivery late April/early May.

Here's the list, what do you all think? Did I over do it? I think I might have gotten carried away, but what the hec, it's only money (lol). Luckily it will be a cash purchase. I hate having car payments.

Boxster S
    Slate Grey / Black Top
    Full Leather - Black
    Sport Seats
    Black Mats
    Heated Seats
    PASM
    Sport Chrono
    Wind Stop Deflector
    Bi-Xenon
    Sport Shifter
    Sport Steering Wheel
    Porsche Crest in Headrest
    Chrome Exhaust Pipe
    19" Carrera Classic Wheel
    Wheel Caps in Colored Crest

I'm hoping Slate Grey w/ 19" Carrera Classics will make for a good combo. I realize that I've optioned myself almost into 911 territory, but after driving the Boxster S and a 911 Carrera back to back, I had more fun in the Boxster.

Cheers to everyone here, I look forward to sharing some discussions with you all later!

Its my 1st Porsche as well, the car is now at the dealers and I am due to collect in just 2 weeks time. I can beat you, I've waited 49 years! (There is no fool like an old fool). Ever since they told me I've been like a cat on hot bricks. I am glad to hear there is someone else out there that ticked just about every box on the options list and worried about it later. Quite a few of your options weren't available when I had to finalise my spec. And I do worry about spending what is for me a huge amount of money on a car. What makes it worse is I am not surrounded by petrol heads (except for Rennteam of course) and my friends and family think I am completely insane spending what I have on a car. I will post my first impressions once I've driven it for a few days. Maybe a preview picture next week!

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    ...my friends and family think I am completely insane spending what I have on a car.

Yeah...until they see the car, then they will be like velcro-flies on a velcro-turd. Even old grams will salivating...and perhaps even flatulating.
    Har to keep your composure with a hottie like that around.

Will you have broken the car in by the time I hit Old Blighty...or will I get the honor of popping the cherry?

I only waited 26 years to purchase my first one :)

My first P and still current car is a 2003 Boxster (not for long, only 3 more days with it) that I purchased when I was 26.

Quote:
    DrPhil said:
    Will you have broken the car in by the time I hit Old Blighty...or will I get the honor of popping the cherry?

Hopefully nicely run in by May. Need to meet up with some serious petrol heads, such as yourself. I am in a minority, surrounded by disbelievers and peasants.

Congrats-should look fine...very fine indeed

another

Quote:
    DrPhil said:
    Quote:
    Holminator said:

Nasty old man

Nah, I think he's just singing that old song about being a tea-pot...

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    Quote:
    DrPhil said:
    Quote:
    Holminator said:

Nasty old man

LOL! Hey, I already know I'm a dork! Nice try.

Nice choice and spec.. I have also ordered my first P. at 40+. What a painful wait! Your name is very Finnish - and you have bought a car from home!? I'm myself from Sweden..almost domestic to me as well.

On order: 987S, GT Silver, Full leather, PASM, Sport Chrono, Sport Steering wheel, Heated sport seats, Bose, Xenon and more ,for April delivery (just after the snow has gone).

Quote:
    DrPhil said:
    Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    ...my friends and family think I am completely insane spending what I have on a car.

"Yeah...until they see the car, then they will be like velcro-flies on a velcro-turd. Even old grams will salivating...and perhaps even flatulating.
    Har to keep your composure with a hottie like that around."

Tell me about it! Right now no one knows that I've ordered my car but my wife and I. When my family and friends find out (they'll find out when I drive up in it-no sooner) I know they will try to give me a hard time about how much it costs, but you know what? I don't care.

I've been a car affecionado all my life; and specifically I've always wanted a Porsche. And I agree w/ Dr. Phil- deep down they'll be wishing they had one too

Thanks dbz for posting those pics. The more I look at it the more I realize what a good decision I've made.

Wy wife and I stopped by the Porsche Design store in South Coast Plaza last evening (it's a biggest and I'd say most popular shopping mall in Orange County) to see what goodies I could blow my money on. I've already tagged a leather briefcase and wallet to add to my future collection.

I kinda feel like I just joined a club, and an exclusive one at that lol!

Well, I've just had a phone call to confirm that the insurance is all sorted, so that's it now. All ducks in a row. I appreciate your comments - your right - it doesn't matter what "others" think, but for me this is my first Porsche and by far the most money I've ever spent on a car. So I do get a little nervous about whether or not I've done the right thing or I've just been incredibly daft.

Quote:
    Upplanda said:
    Nice choice and spec.. I have also ordered my first P. at 40+. What a painful wait! Your name is very Finnish - and you have bought a car from home!? I'm myself from Sweden..almost domestic to me as well.

Upplanda:
    GT Silver is very nice in person. I almost went with that color as well. You'll love it!
    I'm not from Finland, but I'm a longtime F1 fan, and big fan of Mika Hakkinen. Actually met him at the Canadian GP in Montreal. Funny guy! You wouldn't think so from his interviews, at least on the surface. About a decade ago I was heavy into racing radio controlled cars and I entered a couple of races under the alias 'Mika hakkinen' and the nickname stuck ever since.

Speaking of Finland, I'm planning a European vacation in a year or two and I want to do a factory tour. Anyone know if you can get a tour of the Finland plant where the 987's are made? Or just the factory in Germany? (I take it I won't see any 987's being built there?)
    I heard they take you out for some laps on their test track as part of the tour. That would be awesome.

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    for me this is my first Porsche and by far the most money I've ever spent on a car. So I do get a little nervous about whether or not I've done the right thing or I've just been incredibly daft.

I too went over that justification scenario several times just before I ordered. This is a huge expense for me as well. What I did to overcome that was to take another test drive.

I was outside the showroom standing next to all the 987's and the I was going to drive (just happened to be slate grey/black full leather). I was filled with thoughts of rationalizing this expense. And then.... my salseman started the car, backed it down the ramp while opening the top. Seeing the car IN MOTION at that very moment washed away any previous concerns. A few minutes later I romped the throttle, top down, flicking through the gears, hearing that beautiful music coming from the rear....... I yelled out loud an uncontrollable..."SOLD!!"

We got back, wrote up the order and gave him my deposit. I've been "full throttle" ever since. I'm not worried about the expense anymore. It's going to be worth every penny.

Quote:
    Holminator said:
    Quote:
    wtsnet said:

LOL! Hey, I already know I'm a dork! Nice try.

Grin. Hey, I photograph badly too! You can't be a dork if you drive a Boxster

Hey Holmin8or. Just check out my 3 easy steps to becoming a top-dollar 2 bit hip-hustler on the Boxster board.
    Even old dudes can join the course

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM