Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

I May Be Losing Interest in 997/S.

I've been lurking here since before the 997/S was introduced and started posting a few months ago.

I learned a great deal from people here and am thankful to everybody for that.

What's funny is I'm not so excited about ordering this car anymore. My "obsession" seems to have lessened in intensity.

Does this happen to lots of guys? How many people just stop checking the board and go onto onter things and you never hear from them again?

The other thing I'm thinking is to come back in a half-year and see what the MY 2006 looks like.

Do I really want this car? Wait 6 monthsfor delivery. Spend $100K. can't see actual options at dealership, Risk intro-year malfunctions, make cops salivate, impossible to obey acceptable speed limits, make parking into an anxiety attack?

Sorry but I'm just wondering what keeps people on track to actual delivery of the vehicle.

Re: I May Be Losing Interest in 997/S.

Well, you could do what I did - which was to forget about customizing the car with the "best" of the available options. I decided to buy straight from the dealer. And I'm delighted I did so.
    Sure I could have waited for the cab, or for auto-dimming mirrors, or crested hubcaps, or whatever - but instead, I get to go out every day (apart from when it's icy !) in my new 997S, my first ever Porsche.
    Maybe I'll wait for the custom options when I get my next one, but for now the daily pleasure is far more important to me that the wait for the incremental pleasure of the options.

1- I understand your first point, I am also fairly new to rennteam and was thinking in upgrading from 986 S 03 to 987 S. Now, after reading so many coments, I am waiting a while, I want to see what 4S looks like as well as 997 cabrio, even Cayman...too many options and my car is still pretty new.

2- On the options, I love options I could not buy a car any car, without adding a bunch of extras to make it more personal, another reason why I am waiting, not sure about looks of sport chrono, hate the 987 side intakes in a different color, want to see what aerokit looks like, etc, etc,.....

I always get excited more BEFORE I get a new car....

Check for pics etc.. post a lot of questions... then when I actually GET the car I chill out, and just enjoy it.. Unless of course there is some issue or some tid bit I want to share. I always try to post a ton of pics to help out the other waiters and just for people who like to browse...

I'm not tired of the car at all - still love it every day....

MMD, I think I know where youre coming from.
    Sometimes you can actually talk things to death, and get so much rational info that all the magic vaporizes.
    A sportscar is something you buy with your heart and gut - not your brain.
    The practical problems your foresee have little or nothing to do with the 997 - they are just symptoms of something else IMO.
    The probleems your foresee are general of all premium sportscars, not just the 997-so unless you dont want a sportscar those arent really your concerns.
    So my advice to you: Trust your gut feeling on this. And if you still dont know, I suggest you stay clear of car nerds like us for a while so your brain can "cool down" so to speak, and maybe the solution comes to you then

Quote:
    MMD said:
    I've been lurking here since before the 997/S was introduced and started posting a few months ago.

I learned a great deal from people here and am thankful to everybody for that.

What's funny is I'm not so excited about ordering this car anymore. My "obsession" seems to have lessened in intensity.

Does this happen to lots of guys? How many people just stop checking the board and go onto onter things and you never hear from them again?

The other thing I'm thinking is to come back in a half-year and see what the MY 2006 looks like.

Do I really want this car? Wait 6 monthsfor delivery. Spend $100K. can't see actual options at dealership, Risk intro-year malfunctions, make cops salivate, impossible to obey acceptable speed limits, make parking into an anxiety attack?

Sorry but I'm just wondering what keeps people on track to actual delivery of the vehicle.

Go take another test drive. You will know what to do.

I usually try to let a decision stew for awhile before I take action, because it's that "few months" of time that you use to drill-down to the real answer, and potentially avoid an awful case of buyer's remorse. For me, my tough time was deciding whether or not to buy an '03 or '04 C4S. I really gave it some hard thought for many months, but it never seemed totally "right" in my mind. It's almost as if my subconscience KNEW that the 997S was on the horizon, and that it would address all of my misgivings that I had with the 996 (headlights, interior style, horsepower, and the undeniable fact that the 996 was approaching the end of its lifespan). I had pretty much "gotten over" the C4S when my local dealer got in a new 997S 6-speed. I took a test-drive, thought about it for a few days, and knew that I had passed on the C4S for good reason, and that it was the right time to go ahead and commit and to order.

In short, when you wait, you know that it's right. If it's just not happening for you now, and your interest is waning, it's not right. Just hang out until a product is introduced that kicks your butt into the dealership with your checkbook in hand.

Quote:
    DrPhil said:
    MMD, I think I know where youre coming from.
    Sometimes you can actually talk things to death, and get so much rational info that all the magic vaporizes.
    A sportscar is something you buy with your heart and gut - not your brain.
    The practical problems your foresee have little or nothing to do with the 997 - they are just symptoms of something else IMO.
    The probleems your foresee are general of all premium sportscars, not just the 997-so unless you dont want a sportscar those arent really your concerns.
    So my advice to you: Trust your gut feeling on this. And if you still dont know, I suggest you stay clear of car nerds like us for a while so your brain can "cool down" so to speak, and maybe the solution comes to you then

Very well written. It is a major purchase which will have immediate financial ramifications (substantial depreciation) and unless your into it heart and soul walk away.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    unless your into it heart and soul walk away.

Amen to that

Go for it, don't sweat it--ambivalence is par for the course when making a move on luxury item like this.
    It is perfectly normal for initial obssession/infatuation to fade, the human brain is not capable of sustaining intense emotion about anything beyond a short period of time.

I also have felt a bit of melancholy set in (after solid 2 months of rabid Renn-Sites logons) as I wait for a Summer 97S delivery, but my position remains: (forgive upcoming multiple cliches) Life is extremely short, you gotta enjoy it! I call driving a jewel like the 997S simply as 'making the most of each day'. The 997/997S is truly a usable daily driver...just adds quality to each day you drive it or gaze upon its sculpted presence in the driveway. On the days that I am not in the mood to be noticed a little bit, I will drive my GM SUV.

As long as your personal finances/revenue stream is secure and insurance is in place, go for it!...& don't apologize to anyone for your success!

D

You're losing interest in a car you haven't even owned yet?

Infatuation wanes, it did fro me too, love however is more resiliant, and i know i am in love with car each time I drive it.
    It is not that big a decision, you will not lose the entire sum, you will have depreciation on anyhting you buy, you are probably right to equate it to a good holiday in terms of what you may lose.
    If it is of any further help, Grand Cayman was great, lives inmy memory, but the car is more real after a few months than the holiday was!

Anytime you have a long period to think about a big purchase you're going to mindf_ck yourself. I hadn't the slightest inkling I was going to get a 997 until a week after their US launch. I thought I'd just go over to the other dealer and see if they had one by chance. All fell into place and I bought. No regrets whatsoever.

Quote:
    JohnA said:
    Infatuation wanes, it did for me too. Love however is more resiliant, and I know I am in love with car each time I drive it.

Poetic.

And, wise as well

If your mind starts to wander, if the "butterflies" are gone and you no longer wake up in the middle of the night thinking about it, dont do it!

Crystal Ball says MY06 will look pretty much the same....
    Order a car and become a WAITER

My ship comes into port late tonite, I steped up to the plate with a deposit in Oct tic tic tic now it's Feb
    Yippie..

MMD, what you are experiencing is so real, so manifest in the here and now, that the State of Texas has a law where you can back out of a deal within five days. The legal term is Buyers Remorse. I think.

This isn't the same, I'm just trying to lend you some moral support. What you are feeling is a big deal. $100K is a lot of money. And sitting there with no car, and CNN, and $2 gas, and all that sensible stuff going on... In short order, an imaginative mind would probably say "wait a minute"...

I met a guy this weekend, that has had $100K tied up for over a year while they build his Aston Martin. Now, how would you like to wake up one morning and realize you put $100K down on a $175K British anything?

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Do I really want ...Risk intro-year malfunctions...

don't worry about that one. the biggest malfunction, RMS, has been going since the first boxster and 996. so you see, there is no "intro-year" risk.

Quote:
    nicholas j said:
    If your mind starts to wander, if the "butterflies" are gone and you no longer wake up in the middle of the night thinking about it, dont do it!

I think this is great advice, along with what others mentioned. I joined this board before I was able to afford a Porsche. Then a couple months later I could and went after what I really wanted. I tossed and turned almost every night thinking about this car. I finally got it, and even though I sleep better, I still have the "butterflies" whenever I see or drive it.
    So if your not sure, don't do it. When your sure, you will know...

Listen, you only live once what are you waiting for? The price to come down? Just do it if you really want it, you earned it!
    I initially ordered a very spartan 996, when it came in, a nice C4S also came in, I jumped on it immediately, never looked back, zero remorse, zero angst. Only the best f'ing car I've ever owned! I look forward to driving it everyday.

Get a base S with a couple of options for 83k...Adding all those crazy unneeded options is where people get really killed on depreciation....

100k for a 997s is crazy! Just get a GT3 at that price point!!!I would....

Hey MMD,

I'm in the exact same position you are, as you can tell by my sig. Anyway its been about 1 year now that I've been planning on buying one. Time just seems to fly by and am actually surpised to think its been that long.

Anyway, I think I need another test drive to renew my interest. I've talked with the same saleman over this period and he must think im nuts for taking my sweet old time... just hope he is patient and lets me take out a 997s for a spin, never did get to test drive that one yet. I've only test drove the 2004 996C4s and the 996 Cab.

Good luck,
    And go for another test drive, that should recharge your interest at least for a few months,
    -Kauai

I've been "bothering" the local Porsche dealer too, but in addition to all the concerns expressed above, I have another. While I'm not new to Porsche (this will be my fourth over 40Yr time period) it's been a few years since my last one and I am wondering if it is still OK to drive and park just about anywhere and not be concerned with vandalism? I'm not talking about going into the city at night and parking on the street, but since I'm retired now I intend to use this car as pretty much a daily driver. My last one (928) was sort of a garage queen that only went to car shows and Porsche corrals or other protected non public places. I live in NE US. Any opinions?

I wonder if MMD has left the board all together....He's gotten a bunch of replies to his question...but no reaction from the man himself.

Have you gone totally cold turkey on cars?

You're sounding a bit auto-paranoid. I wouldn't think twice about vandalism, but that's just me. After a lifetime of participating in classic car shows and concours events with my collector cars, I've noticed an ironic dynamic where the people who are the most paranoid and over-protective of their vehicles almost INVARIABLY are the ones that suffer nightmarish damage to their vehicles. Call it bad karma, but it just seems to work that way. While all my car collecting peers keep their cars locked away, scared to pull out of the driveway, I'm out enjoying myself, and using common sense to keep the car out of harm's way. While I'm having a blast driving to a concours, they're damaging their cars loading them onto and strapping them down to trailers, and then having accidents driving poorly balanced and difficult to maneuver rigs to the shows. And yes, there's been a couple times in my life where something special of mine got a bruise (never vandalism), but who cares... The price of repair over my lifetime was WELL WORTH a lifetime's worth of driving what I wanted, where I wanted. You wanted opinions, there's mine!!! Be careful, don't park anywhere that you're likely to get dinged or that's a "questionable" part of town, but beyond that, forget worrying about things beyond your control. You'll just wind up leaving the car in the garage, and lightning will strike the house and burn the whole kit-n-caboodle to the ground.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    You're sounding a bit auto-paranoid. I wouldn't think twice about vandalism, but that's just me. After a lifetime of participating in classic car shows and concours events with my collector cars, I've noticed an ironic dynamic where the people who are the most paranoid and over-protective of their vehicles almost INVARIABLY are the ones that suffer nightmarish damage to their vehicles. Call it bad karma, but it just seems to work that way. While all my car collecting peers keep their cars locked away, scared to pull out of the driveway, I'm out enjoying myself, and using common sense to keep the car out of harm's way. While I'm having a blast driving to a concours, they're damaging their cars loading them onto and tying them down to trailers, and then having accidents driving poorly balanced and difficult to maneuver rigs to the shows. And yes, there's been a couple times in my life where something special of mine got a bruise (never vandalism), but who cares... The price of repair over my lifetime was WELL WORTH a lifetime's worth of driving what I wanted, where I wanted. You wanted opinions, there's mine!!! Be careful, don't park anywhere that you're likely to get dinged or that's a "questionable" part of town, but beyond that, forget worrying about things beyond your control. You'll just wind up leaving the car in the garage, and lightning will strike the house and burn the whole kit-n-caboodle to the ground.

Thats my kinda guy!
    Some fecking funny reading there, and very true, too.
    The old Murphys Law and a couple of other laws of fate too.

Just drive the darned thing and enjoy life.
    It's much too short to worry all the time.
    Besides:
    "What you fear, you create" - advice from Dr. Phil

Quote:
    DrPhil said:
    I wonder if MMD has left the board all together....He's gotten a bunch of replies to his question...but no reaction from the man himself.

Have you gone totally cold turkey on cars?

No! Got bizzy and neglected the more important things like this board.

Gotta read carefully thru this stuff, very intelligent and kind. Much appreciated. I don't know what to do or say yet.

I agree with Dr.Phil about life being too short. Wasn't it Andy Rooney who said," Life is like a roll of toilet paper; the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes". Go out and enjoy!

Andy Rooney is so old, if I were him I wouldnt even waste time going to the toilet

I think he's 86. On the weekends in the summer, he drives an older TR7. He has a summer home, about 25 miles outside of Albany, N.Y. in a hamlet called Renssalaerville. He has a lead foot and is very friendly with the locals. Gets around pretty good for his age. I should be so lucky!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688410 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408648 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255492 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234739 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65363 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4634 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857526 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773269 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM