Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Tesla

Leawood911:

I give up. By all means try to outsmart idiots. (Who is the idiot in that case). 
    As soon as one check is implemented another hack comes along. The reason the Cadillac super cruise system does not have stories of people in the backseat yet is not because it can’t be fooled but because it is not that confidence inspiring. 
    What is lost is the Tesla did not crash in this case like every other car would have. Lol. 
    The old claim that Tesla owners don’t know it is a level 2 system is lame nor does Tesla make any claim other than that. There are clear warnings each time you turn on the system. So much of this hype is directed at those who don’t have any Tesla or EV experience in order to keep them from thinking about it and of course to get the group think and bias fired up. 
    Anytime You see organized animosity ask who has the big media machine?  Is it the massive auto industry who has billions of advertising $ feeding the media or a grassroots organized tiny bunch of owners who like a car that does not even advertise?  How evil is this small group of ordinary well healed drivers?  Hmmmm?  Who has billions at stake and might be tempted to not give Tesla good press?

This is as in your face obvious as the media and big government against lower taxes and school choice. Not everything bad about Tesla is true and not everything a Tesla owner says which is positive is due to brainwashing.  

'Clear warnings'. Because of liability laws, every car has those flashing on the screen every time one starts a car. How many actually read them before pressing ok and get on their way?

A driver monitoring system for cruise control is not unlike a touch screen lock out function, which most cars have. Keyboard inputs are locked and only basic functions are allowed or voice input. My e-Tron has such a thing, if I want to enter address while moving, it won't show the keyboard, I have to either use my fingers to write on the touchscreen for characters or use voice control.

--

Boxster Coupe GTS:

“Elon Musk says Tesla will no longer accept bitcoin due to fossil fuel use”

Digital currency, which is made with an energy-intensive process, falls 17% after the tweet

(13 May 2021)

Tesla has suspended customers’ use of bitcoin to purchase its vehicles, Elon Musk said on Wednesday, citing concerns about the use of fossil fuel for bitcoin mining.

Bitcoin, the world’s biggest digital currency, fell almost 17% after the tweet to its lowest point since the beginning of March. It recovered slightly in Asian trading but was still off 12% at $50,933 early on Thursday morning. 

Musk said Tesla would not sell any bitcoin, and intends to use bitcoin for transactions as soon as mining transitions to more sustainable energy.

“We are also looking at other cryptocurrencies that use <1% of bitcoin’s energy/transaction,” Musk said.

Musk said in March that Tesla customers can buy its electric vehicles with bitcoin.

The digital currency is created when high-powered computers compete against other machines to solve complex mathematical puzzles, an energy-intensive process that currently often relies on electricity generated with fossil fuels, particularly coal.

At current rates, such bitcoin “mining” devours about the same amount of energy annually as the Netherlands did in 2019, the latest available data from the University of Cambridge and the International Energy Agency shows.

Tesla revealed in February it had bought $1.5bn of bitcoin, before it began accepting it as payment for cars in March, driving a roughly 20% surge in the world’s most widely held cryptocurrency.

Musk on Wednesday said Tesla would not sell any bitcoin, and intends to use bitcoin for transactions as soon as mining transitions to more sustainable energy.

On Wednesday, Edward Moya, a senior market analyst at currency trading firm OANDA, said that Musk was getting ahead of investors focused on sustainability.

“The environmental impact from mining bitcoins was one of the biggest risks for the entire crypto market,” Moya said. “Over the past couple of months, everyone disregarded news that bitcoin uses more electricity than Argentina and Norway.”

Chris Weston, head of research at broker Pepperstone in Melbourne, said Musk’s reaction was a blow to bitcoin but an acknowledgement of the currency’s carbon footprint.

“Tesla has got an image of being environmentally friendly and bitcoin clearly is the opposite of that,” Weston said.

Musk himself is a strong believer in digital currencies while also advocating for clean technology.

“Cryptocurrency is a good idea on many levels and we believe it has a promising future, but this cannot come at great cost to the environment,” Musk said.

The dominance of Chinese bitcoin miners and lack of motivation to swap cheap fossil fuels for more expensive renewables could mean there are few quick fixes to the emissions problem.

Chinese miners account for about 70% of bitcoin production, data from the University of Cambridge’s Centre for Alternative Finance shows. They tend to use renewable energy – mostly hydropower – during the rainy summer months, but fossil fuels – primarily coal – for the rest of the year.

In theory, blockchain analysis firms say, it is possible to track the source of bitcoin, raising the possibility that a premium could be charged for green bitcoin. Stronger climate change policies by governments around the world might also help.

Some bitcoin proponents note that the existing financial system – with its millions of employees and computers in air-conditioned offices – uses large amounts of energy, too.

Musk has been a fan of other cryptocurrencies, firing off tweets this year that have made the once-obscure digital currency dogecoin well known. Musk said on Sunday that his commercial rocket company SpaceX will be accepting the meme-inspired cryptocurrency as payment to launch a lunar mission next year.

Link: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/may/12/elon-musk-tesla-bitcoin

Smiley

Don't you think it's a bit convenient that Elon bought a bunch of bitcoins before announcing they would accept bitcoins as payments, causing the price to rise, then sell a bunch to book profit for the last quarter. Not like he didn't know mining bitcoins uses a lot fo energy when he first bought them last year. 

Now he announced Tesla doesn't take bitcoin anymore, causing the price to crash, anyone wanna bet Elon will buy back bitcoins again to replenish their holdings? Likely he will announce at a later date Tesla will take bitcoin again after some 'considerations'. 

Classic pump and dump. Rinse and repeat. 

--

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/13/business/tesla-china-sales-decline/index.html

Perhaps this is also the doings of the big bad auto industries against Tesla who doesn't 'advertise' 

--

So why didn't Tesla sell their Bitcoin? Or Musk his private stash? Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

RC:

So why didn't Tesla sell their Bitcoin? Or Musk his private stash? Smiley Smiley

Give them a minute to come up with an evil, sinister motive. 

Leawood911:
    RC:

I give you the evil, sinister motive: They (actually Musk) wanted to cause a BTC dip and he succeeded. I bet he (privately) bought BTC again under 50k. This is a game, especially all that Dogecoin crap.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

RC:
    Leawood911:
    RC:

I give you the evil, sinister motive: They (actually Musk) wanted to cause a BTC dip and he succeeded. I bet he (privately) bought BTC again under 50k. This is a game, especially all that Dogecoin crap.

For the longest time, Elon knows whatever he says will move whatever market he chooses. 

--

Whoopsy:
    RC:
    Leawood911:
    RC:

For the longest time, Elon knows whatever he says will move whatever market he chooses. 

And smart mature investors know better. If it were only so easy to manipulate the markets… you guys either give him too much credit or none at all. 

0D42DA75-303D-4BB4-9358-A538890780F8.jpeg

...   Smiley ...

...   BF822CAF-50E5-4C47-9B23-F36F9B8F5A9C.gif ...

C7BEAB03-A272-4B0C-AF73-D01AEAA5AA36.gif

Smiley

...how will results look for next quarter? Smiley

Six countries or ten?  I am seeing six countries. How many are there in total ? 27.  So did they cherry pick six out 27 - we will never know.  Are the VWs better EVs or were there no more Teslas than that available?  We will never know but the numbers certainly look like great news for the VW board. Good stuff - I’m sure they don’t care about the details. 
    https://insideevs.com/news/497005/europe-plugin-car-sales-february-2021/

There are lots of numbers   So hard to decide 

So the Model 3 ranked 3th among green cars in Europe. Not bad, just behind a Volvo and a Renault.

--

In the pipeline from VW Group...  C7BEAB03-A272-4B0C-AF73-D01AEAA5AA36.gif

I'll wait for the resident Teslaphiles to explain why a massive redesign of the recently released Model Y is superior to model approaches taken by the other automakers.  

https://insideevs.com/news/508103/tesla-confirms-texas-modely-4680/

Shockers!

CGX car nut:

I'll wait for the resident Teslaphiles to explain why a massive redesign of the recently released Model Y is superior to model approaches taken by the other automakers.  

Wtf is big deal. The 4680 cells are simply better and will be available for use along with the new casting processes.  Are you indicating that other automakers superior approach is to not use old tech and not move forward.  I just don’t get how anything I might say would be controversial in any way - this is just news.  Has TDS become Tesla derangement syndrome?   

Whoopsy:

In other news...........

https://insideevs.com/news/507960/tesla-under-review-california-dmv/

Is there not a tesla politics thread?  That is where fake news belongs. Suckers

Boxster Coupe GTS:

I'm imagining quite a few old hippies getting BUZZed very soon  Smiley

Gladstone:
    Boxster Coupe GTS:

I'm imagining quite a few old hippies getting BUZZed very soon  Smiley

Agreed. VW BUZZ may also be popular with large families that want to buy something cooler than a van...  E0F26BDD-E91B-4EF4-964B-7C4204B9E420.gif

It's a great looking vehicle.

Perfectly suited concept for an EV.  

CGX car nut:

I don’t get it. Why is a car with stylish outdoor equipment more suitable? The car looks beautiful. But if you use it as sports active vehicle in mountains or national parks - there is no infrastructure. Imagine going few days catching powder in the mountains or searching for some hidden bays on the sea. 
    On opposite EV for city and shorter distances are always near some loading infrastructure.

--

AM

ALDO:
    CGX car nut:

I don’t get it. Why is a car with stylish outdoor equipment more suitable? The car looks beautiful. But if you use it as sports active vehicle in mountains or national parks - there is no infrastructure. Imagine going few days catching powder in the mountains or searching for some hidden bays on the sea. 
    On opposite EV for city and shorter distances are always near some loading infrastructure.

Most in the States will purchase that Volkswagen for relatively short trips around town and on the school run.  Other than in the high density urban areas with older buildings is home charging more of an issue.  Since my exodus to the exurbs last year, while the amount of time driving has increased, the overall mileage has decreased since I am no longer coming to this home on the weekends.  Typically, one drives about 100-120 kilometers a week and that's spread over 4 cars.  

EV charging infrastructure in the States, is less and less an issue as the automakers make the transition.  Within a 500 mile radius, sorry about the mixing of units, I am never more than 100 miles away from the nearest Electrify America charging station.  This doesn't include the numerous other chargers in the area at dealerships and stores.  

Returning to the main point of your argument, people here tend to purchase large vehicles and the roads are populated with full sized pickup trucks and SUVs that never spend any time off road or even on a gravel road.  Most affluent families, those most likely to purchase that Volkswagen Buzz or a Tesla or Audi e-tron, won't drive on a family holiday.  They will fly to their destination.  If they do drive it is usually under a couple of hundred miles to the nearest large metropolitan area for the weekend or to a sporting event.  

Leawood911:
    CGX car nut:

Wtf is big deal. The 4680 cells are simply better and will be available for use along with the new casting processes.  Are you indicating that other automakers superior approach is to not use old tech and not move forward.  I just don’t get how anything I might say would be controversial in any way - this is just news.  Has TDS become Tesla derangement syndrome?   

Of course, once again, you are triggered.  I purposely waited to respond until after the debut of the Ford F-150 Lightning.  This proves, yet once again, the transition to EVs for the market incumbents is fairly straightforward, whilst costly in terms of Capex and supply chain management, the engineering challenges aren't great. 

Despite its hyper overinflated market cap, Tesla still suffers from restricted financial resources that has hampered its ability to get product to market and build out its portfolio.  Tesla, and more importantly, Musk has failed to address some of its most pressing issues as it ramps up mass market production.  It's service network is lacking and nearly fifteen years after its founding owners wait and wait and wait for replacement parts.

Now, in Musk's infinite wisdom, Tesla instead of addressing these customer related issues, prioritizes a major redesign of its newest product.  The Model Y entered production in January 2020 at a measurable capital expenditure.  Not even eighteen months later, Tesla is making dramatic production changes that will require 1) recertification of the new crash structures, and 2) complicate parts and supply logistics.  Recall, that logistics already is an exceedingly weak area for Tesla.  

There's no roadmap to indicate if this production change is localized to the new Austin production facility or will the existing Model Y production at Fremont transition to the new plant.  No matter the decision these changes have expended scarce resources as Tesla loses its key source of profitability-those zero emission certificates it sold to FCA-as it dithers with old, potentially high margin products and an incomplete product portfolio.  

Volkswagen, as an example, has freely shared with the market its product roadmap for the next decade with significant CAPEX and R&D investment in newer and newer platforms.  General Motors and Ford too, have shown similar plans to investors and consumers.  

Gee. What a surprise. You wanted to trigger me. Then I replied literally for the purpose of letting you know i was not triggered which you imagine is me being triggered. Bless your heart - whatever floats your boat. I’m still not triggered.  Musk is clearly not a graduate of your best principles in mass production class like the other automakers.  I don’t wonder why.

I do clearly understand why he would not want to build new factories for the old model y frame when he has already engineered and built the new one. Explain this to me. Other than that I would assume the Fremont factory will build the X and S and Roadster and be pretty busy.  Rather than build to old model Y there. How is that for a roadmap without sounding triggered !  
    Cant wait for your next reply now that you have been triggered. (See how that sounds?)

cheers buddy

onboard:

Driver didn't react for 2.2miles!

Awesome. I mean the driver is an idiot but no other car who have not crashed. 
    I wonder how many people die each year falling asleep at the wheel and how many lives would have been saved had they all been in a Tesla. Autopilot should be mandatory and all other makers need to stop making cars until their cars can keep sleeping drivers alive as well. In fact we should charge them with crimes for knowing about such technology and being too profit driven to include it for free like Tesla does. (Full self driving is of course not free like autopilot). 

Try to spot all the sarcasm. If you prefer me triggered then ignore the sarcasm. 
    fyi if you want to stop a sleeping tesla driver just pull in front of him and come to a stop. Duh. The car will not stop for sirens or honking from behind. It will keep its lane and slow down for anything ahead so just slow down in front of it. The cops seemed to know a lot but did not think of that. Now you all know. You are welcome. 

I think I spotted the sarcasm. Unless you’re going to quit driving the turbo…

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM