Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 996 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Time and dates on posts

Am I the only one who sees crazy dates and times on forum posts. Everything I post (not that much) is sent on the 2nd of a month. Latest post on 996 is September 2, 2003. Did I miss part of the year?

Re: Time and dates on posts

The date is just in (the more logical ) European format: DD/MM/YYYY
    --Pierre

Re: ROW format

Day/Month/Year

I am sure you are smart enough to figure out the logic simply seeing two of the same number but in a reverse order

Re: Time and dates on posts

International standard (not European!). The forum software we're using is a US product...speaking of international.

Dear Users!

Due to some apparent misunderstanding regarding the date/time stamp on Rennteam.com, we switched to a more international (english) date/time format.
    I hope this is OK with you all, please feel free to e-mail us if not.

Thanks for your support.

Re: Dear Users!

Is the US format more international? What a weird way to represent a date! I'd prefer something straightforward, like DD.MM.YYYY or DD-Mon-YYYY.
    Salutti!
    --Pierre

I knew that!

I really did! I was dyxlexic(sp?) when I was young!

I Object!!!

Format should be 10-Feb-03.

The new format is the Yankee format. Makes no sense. Should either be YY-MM-DD or DD-MM-YY but why would you want MM DD, YY. Loggically illogical.

Stephen

Re: I Object!!!

Quote:
    Format should be 10-Feb-03.

The new format is the Yankee format. Makes no sense. Should either be YY-MM-DD or DD-MM-YY but why would you want MM DD, YY. Loggically illogical.

Stephen

Yankee format? Please explain.

Let's make a poll!
    I posted this poll as a sticky post on this board and it'll stay there for one week from now on.

Let the majority decide but I have a recommendation to make:
    due to the international character of this forum and due to the huge number of Users from the US, we should keep the current date/time format to avoid confusion.
    I consider the current date/time to be a good compromise between the US, international and european format.

I like the new format, I vote to keep it

Please leave it the way it is now.

Are these the only two choices?

You cannot set the format to DD MMMMMM YYYY ??

In correspondence, I will always use the full version to avoid confusion (i.e. 11 February 2003).

The trouble with the MMM DD, YY format is that it is only used in North America. That's because it is backwards.

It is a matter of Yankee imperialism. If you allow the United States to dictate standards then who knows what might happen next? Hell, they might even start thinking that they can rule the world and attack any country that dissagrees at will!

Humm ... am i off topic?

Stephen

Time zone ????

And another thing RC,

Wht time zone are we on ????

Would have thought UTC made the most sense.

Democracy is certainly a compex form or government.

Stephen

Yankee Imperialism????? Are we introducing politics into what kind of date/time format to use or is this some kind of joke?

Quote:

Humm ... am i off topic?

Yes, but I'm with you!

--Pierre

i thought that latin america was the only object of so called

"yankee imperialism".

surely yankees were the victims of european imperialism rather than the other way around!

fortunately we all love porsches because we're poor excuses for diplomats--we can't even agree on date format!

Re: Time zone ????

I recommend Zulu time zone, intenational standard...

And I also think that month/day/year is a bit illogical

Zulu

William,

"Zulu" is a short-hand term used in flying for GMT or UTC. They're all the same thing.

Stephen

Re: yeah, i know

was just trying to agree with you.... :) I vote for GMT time zone on this board and intenational date format.

Quote:
    Are these the only two choices?

You cannot set the format to DD MMMMMM YYYY ??

In correspondence, I will always use the full version to avoid confusion (i.e. 11 February 2003).

The trouble with the MMM DD, YY format is that it is only used in North America. That's because it is backwards.

It is a matter of Yankee imperialism. If you allow the United States to dictate standards then who knows what might happen next? Hell, they might even start thinking that they can rule the world and attack any country that dissagrees at will!

Humm ... am i off topic?

Stephen

Oh boy, yes you're off-topic. But since we have a tensed worldwide situation right now, I close my eyes (if the Admin does too).
    I'm not sure if you used sarcasm in your post or not but I want to make something clear and this is purely my personal opinion:
    The Yankee "Imperialism" as you call it got rid of Hitler, the USSR and Milosevic. If we also think about the freedoms coming to Europe over the past decades, we know for sure where it came from. Europe wasn't really prepared for democracy until the Yankee "Imperialism" somehow imposed it.
    You travelled to Eastern Europe and I guess you saw with your own eyes what it looks like. It is easy for us to drive through poor countries in a Porsche and then comment about Yankee "Imperialism", sorry to say that. History repeats itself, Europe doesn't learn from it. Nobody really wants war, this is BS. What we watch today is a media war. And people get influenced by the media. The media doesn't like Bush, so people read all kind of BS about him and the reasons why America wants to go to war. On the other hand I have to admit that the US could learn a lot from the former USSR propaganda machine. If it comes to propaganda, the US isn't good at it at all. I worked in Eastern Europe and as far as you might know, I had access to a lot of information from international people. I also remember an arab diplomat who told me that he has a lot of respect for Germans because Hitler did what he did. Fact is: America has been attacked by Al Kaida. Fact is: there is no consipracy whatsoever regarding this attack as many people suggest on the internet (I almost throw up when I read all the BS about conspiracy theories). Fact is: America always took out the hot potatoes out of the fire when Europeans were bitching around like old virgins.
    Fact is: Europe always profits (and profitted) from US actions. Fact is: our cancellor Schroeder put himself into deep sh.t to win the elections, it was never his intention to go that far. Now he can't back off due to his own party friends and he put the whole european community in jeopardy.
    The population is influenced by the media, most people don't have real facts and political backgrounds like me and others have. Nobody wants war, whoever wants war is an idiot. But sometimes enough is enough. The US is under heavy pressure due to the terrorist threat. If they don't start to control the spreading of weapons of mass destruction, something even worse than WTC will happen. I guess nobody is naive not to realize that.
    I try to give you a little example of our own naive wishful thinking: last week I talked to a guy who works in Eastern Europe. He visited a region (you've been there...remember the picture you sent me?) of poverty and destroyed nature. After seeing that, he told me that he can't believe that such a country was a threat for NATO. Well, he is right. There was (and is) poverty among the population but when it comes to the military, things look different. People don't realize that. Look at North Korea: the population doesn't have enough food, they don't know what a DVD player or a Porsche is (not to mention a private car of ANY kind) but they have nuclear weapons or at least modern rocket technology.
    For us Europeans it is easy to stay with our hands in the pockets and profit from US actions. Where would have been Europe now without the US? Or do our swiss friends really think that Hitler would have respected international agreements? Look what he has done to Belgium, a neutral country in the 40s.
    For me personally, it is difficult to understand: it seems the media makes a devil out of Bush but a victim out of Saddam Hussein and other dictators.

But maybe I should stop now before this gets too far.
    One last thing though: I'm curious what you would say if your wife or some of your friends will be a victim in a future terror attack. It is always to speak a sharp tongue when it doesn't affect one directly. I know that US politics weren't always the best but right now, the US government has no choice. And I bet with you: if Bill Clinton was in charge right now, he would have done the same. Forgot about his failed "Cruise Missile" adventure against Al Kaida and Bin Laden in Afghanistan? Bush is unlucky: he's conservative (the media is always liberal) and there has been a lot of BS published about his mental abilities and his family. Well, he's in charge now but don't forget that he is NOT the US government, just a part of it. And I'm sure that if America goes to war, the Democrats will back him. Wanna bet?!

Re: yeah, i know

Sorry, my missunderstanding.

Stephen

USA

Hi Christian,

I basically agree with what you say. Yes, Europe does still have a lot ot be thankful for. Yes, there is still a lot wrong in Europe.

I don't agree on Bush (I call him the Cowboy) and a few other things you say there. But each to his opinion.

I guess my big complaint of the moment is this go-it-alone policy and the position they take that if the international organisations don't agree with them and support them then those organisations must be broke. I find this really objectionable and totally agree with the position of France and Germany in blocking the USA until they do start working as a team again. Go-it-alone is very dangerous and will set terrible precedents for others for the future.

Oh, despite the Bush proparganda machine, as yet there has not been shown to be a connection between terrorism and Iraq.

Wonder how useful the Cayenne will be in attacking Iraq??

Stephen

Re: USA

Quote:
    Hi Christian,

I basically agree with what you say. Yes, Europe does still have a lot ot be thankful for. Yes, there is still a lot wrong in Europe.

I don't agree on Bush (I call him the Cowboy) and a few other things you say there. But each to his opinion.

I guess my big complaint of the moment is this go-it-alone policy and the position they take that if the international organisations don't agree with them and support them then those organisations must be broke. I find this really objectionable and totally agree with the position of France and Germany in blocking the USA until they do start working as a team again. Go-it-alone is very dangerous and will set terrible precedents for others for the future.

Oh, despite the Bush proparganda machine, as yet there has not been shown to be a connection between terrorism and Iraq.

Wonder how useful the Cayenne will be in attacking Iraq??

Stephen

Well, this is the wonderful thing called "freedom of speech" or "freedom of expression": we don't have to agree one with each other but we can talk about it. Millions if not Billions of people around the world don't have that choice, especially not from a warm place on the internet with a hot coffee next to the keyboard...

Well, regarding the connection between one thing and another: diplomacy is difficult. I remember a guy working as the military attache at some place and this guy had a lot of information we didn't have. Whenever we talked to him, he tried to avoid classified information and therefore we always had the impression that he's BS or even lying to us. A woman who was new in the office even asked me why this guy is talking so funny. I never understood that until I met this guy two or three years ago in Florida. He talked completely different, he wasn't the funny guy anymore. So my guess is that the US government doesn't want to unveil highly classified information and my other guess is that they had it directly from Iraqi government sources. Saddam is known for his security paranoia since his own relatives betrayed him. Any little suspicion regarding a spy in his government could lead to a mass killing. If there is a US source, I'm sure they're very careful about it. But as you, I can only speculate.

BTW: isn't Bush a "Cowboy" with a two university degrees and a pilot license? Just curious.

Regarding the Cayenne: the Cayenne would be the perfect car for special forces or special anti-terror urban units. It has a lot of space, it can carry 4 men and equipment, it is fast and it is versatile. The only problem could be the many electronics used on this car but I guess it shouldn't be a problem to make that "bullet-proof" too...literally speaking.

Guys, this is the 'Porsche 996 Board', isn't it? Now we have a discussion about a hot topic starting here. And I already know how it probably will evolve it we let it go: most members will strongly disagree with eachother, the thread will get hot and hotter, and RC/admin will have to close it. So RC, I think you shouldn't have made such a long comment about this issue. As one of the admin, you'll be able to close the discussion. Given that, I think it's a bit unfair to express your opinion here. Unless you let it open and allow the members to freely express themselves too, of course! Anyway, this should be moved to an 'off-topic' board.

Just my 2 cents.
    --Pierre

Quote:
    and RC/admin will have to close it. So RC, I think you shouldn't have made such a long comment about this issue. As one of the admin, you'll be able to close the discussion. Given that, I think it's a bit unfair to express your opinion here. Unless you let it open and allow the members to freely express themselves too, of course! Anyway, this should be moved to an 'off-topic' board.

I closed both eyes when I allowed this thread to continue and I did it because I wanted every side to be able to express their opinion on this issue. Why? I had the impression that the whole time/date discussion is actually about more like "old world" against "new world". I wanted people to be able to express their feelings in a civilized manner and I think that FixedWing and RC Germany did a great job. No flames, some hot temper but no personal attacks.

Due to your post and suggestion, I'm forced to close down this thread because I'm really afraid that this discussion, which of course if off-topic but has been tolerated due to the political circumstances which affect our everyday life, will go too far. Kudos to FixedWing and RC for their civilized discussion but this thread will be closed now. Yes, it is unfortunately...off-topic.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/3/24 3:40 PM
    watt
    802231 1803
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448206 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265786 323
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    264524 288
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89842 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6282 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885048 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    831488 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM