Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

SportAuto Supertest: Mercedes SL65 AMG

2/2005 (SL65)

0-100km/h 4.3 s
    0-160km/h 8,8 s
    0-200km/h 13,1 s

Elasticity 4/5 gear
    80-100km/h 2,7 / 5,2 s
    80-120km/h 4,7 / 8,0 s
    80-140km/h 6,7 / 10,5 s
    80-160km/h 8,8 / 13,1 s
    80-180km/h 10,9 / 16,1 s

Slalom 63,2km/h
    36 meter slalom 120km/h
    Evasive Course 110 meter 127km/h

0-200-0km/h 18,5 s
    G-power 1,1 g

Nordschleife 8.14 min (reached a topspeed of 279km/h)
    Hockenheim 1.15,6 min

Total score (they also presented the score for some other cars) :

Carrera GT 68 p
    BMW M5 50 p
    Aston Martin DB9 48 p
    SL55 AMG 46 p
    SL65 43 p

4/2002 (SL55)

0-100km/h 4.3 s
    0-160km/h 9,4 s
    0-200km/h 13,8 s

Elasticity 4/5 gear
    80-100km/h 2,8 / 3,8 s
    80-120km/h 5,4 / 7,3 s
    80-160km/h 10,4 / 14,0 s
    80-180km/h 13,1 / 17,5 s

36 meter slalom 124km/h
    Evasive Course 110 meter 133km/h

0-200-0km/h 19,1 s
    G-power 1,15 g

Nordschleife 8.12 min
    Hockenheim 1.18,4 min

As I understand it, the 12-cylinder engine is the reason why SL65 is slower than SL55 around Nordschleife but I dont got it why SL65 is faster than SL55 around Hockenheim.

Sportauto also drove SL55 a second time around Nordschleife (then without a speedlimit and chassi-modification) then SL55 did it in 8.06 min. After the supertest of SL55 they driven around hockenheim two more times(from two different tests) the best result was 1.15,9 min.

I dont see why I would buy a SL65 over a SL55, with small modifications the SL55 is faster than SL65 around Nordschleife, except for Hockenheim (but the difference isnt huge).

I know laptimes and acceleration times are depending of several things. But please enlighten me, why is SL65 a better buy than SL55?

Re: SportAuto Supertest: Mercedes SL65 AMG

Very odd, that the SL65 was Slower round the ring and faster round hockenheim ?

Although you would expect the SL55 to handle a little sweeter, the power advantage of the SL65 on the longer circuit should have come into play

AMS tested the SL65
    Test in ams 13/2004
    Gewicht 2057 kg
    0 - 100 km/h 3,9 s
    0 - 160 km/h 8,2 s
    0 - 200 km/h 12,6 s

Which seems more like it and a standard SL55 would be a bit slower.

There is a chap called Angus who tracked his SL55 and now tracks his SL65, says the SL65's eatra power makes it quicker almost everywhere.

I've got an s55 which can just about stay with a SL55 on the straight, but I came up against a CL65 a while ago and from 70mph (110kph) to 110mph (175kph) he just left me behind by quite some margin.

I think the SL55 does 0-150mph (240kph)in around 24 ? seconds, but I think the SL65 does it in around 19 seconds, big difference.

It's a good buy the same as the SL55 is over the SL500

Very odd, that the SL65 was Slower round the ring and faster round hockenheim ?

Although you would expect the SL55 to handle a little sweeter, the power advantage of the SL65 on the longer circuit should have come into play

AMS tested the SL65
    Test in ams 13/2004
    Gewicht 2057 kg
    0 - 100 km/h 3,9 s
    0 - 160 km/h 8,2 s
    0 - 200 km/h 12,6 s

Which seems more like it and a standard SL55 would be a bit slower.

There is a chap called Angus who tracked his SL55 and now tracks his SL65, says the SL65's eatra power makes it quicker almost everywhere.

I've got an s55 which can just about stay with a SL55 on the straight, but I came up against a CL65 a while ago and from 70mph (110kph) to 110mph (175kph) he just left me behind by quite some margin.

I think the SL55 does 0-150mph (240kph)in around 24 ? seconds, but I think the SL65 does it in around 19 seconds, big difference.

It's a good buy the same as the SL55 is over the SL500

Quote:
    Just_me said:
    I know laptimes and acceleration times are depending of several things. But please enlighten me, why is SL65 a better buy than SL55?

I think for some folks it's a situation of "If less is more, just imagine how much 'more' is!!" A 996 Turbo is a really quick car but some need a GT2. Maybe it's the rarity that goes along with the more expensive, more powerful vehicle?

Quote:
    Just_me said:

I think for some folks it's a situation of "If less is more, just imagine how much 'more' is!!" A 996 Turbo is a really quick car but some need a GT2. Maybe it's the rarity that goes along with the more expensive, more powerful vehicle?

I think people who don't understand the point of the 65 cars have never driven one. That says it all.

I think people who don't understand the point of the 65 cars have never driven one. That says it all.

I never mentioned this test here because I didn't want to provoke but this test clearly identifies the SL65 as the car it is: a very nice and refined sports car but not something somebody would really want to take to the track. The perfect summer Autobahn car but no track monster.
    Power isn't everything.

I never mentioned this test here because I didn't want to provoke but this test clearly identifies the SL65 as the car it is: a very nice and refined sports car but not something somebody would really want to take to the track. The perfect summer Autobahn car but no track monster.
    Power isn't everything.

///AMG Mercedes

Its seems like you have driven both a SL55 and a SL65. Why would you take a SL65 over a SL55?

///AMG Mercedes

Its seems like you have driven both a SL55 and a SL65. Why would you take a SL65 over a SL55?

Its all about the greater "kick". The V12 roadster has the nonour of being the most powerful production car as of now. It may not be the fastest car out there, but rest assured, anything that puts out 1000NM (electronically restricted) and can do 210mph all the while beating the CGT to 186mph, is one serious bit of kit. It deserves respect like nothing else. Sure its no sportscar, but no Mercedes cars ever are. The SL55 time of 8.06 is very impressive, but the feel of the steering or automatic transmission and the weight will always discredit it from being a true sportscar.

Even people on rennteam who have no knowledge of AMG cars will always discredit them on account of their handling, but for me, handling and lap times mean essentially nothing...as evidenced by the SL55's time. Its all about feel and on the road manners as opposed to lap times. On our roads, if you can find a nice twisty course with no cars and want to push teh car a little you will always be looking for the sportscar feel that only three companies in this world can truly offer. The SL55 can do a pretty lap, but it cna no way replace the feel of a true sportscar. The SL65 is no exception.

What makes the SL65 so speical, is that its the fastest production car AMG ever produced. The SL55 was heralded as a saving grace and claim to fame for AMG's current success for its unusually uncanny and surreal ability to combine comfort and power. This doctrine extended to the rest of their range with one common engine, it proved very successful. The SL65 and other 65 cars were an extension of this philosophy but even more so (600hp+). Therefore regardless of how the car may handle, provided it has the kick it is more than enough justification for spending so much money.
    If an Sl55 encounters an Sl600 or an Sl65, the owner WILL regret it. The immense power generated by that V12 is unrivalled. Conclusion: its all about the power, and it IS noticeable!

Me personally, I would go for the SL55, not because its cheaper, but because it sounds out of this world, the 65 sounds tame and refined in comparison. The extra power I would love to have, but anything above 100K GBP becomes a liability to drive/insure/maintain especially due to our prejudiced and jealous society. The depreciation of a V12 roadster is immense in the UK. But if you got the money, why not?

The Sl65 is one helluva car, nothing really will discredit it and nothing justifies the Sl55 as a better buy apart from money (or lack thereof). When it comes to cars, whats more important, the bigger smile or the money you saved?

Its all about the greater "kick". The V12 roadster has the nonour of being the most powerful production car as of now. It may not be the fastest car out there, but rest assured, anything that puts out 1000NM (electronically restricted) and can do 210mph all the while beating the CGT to 186mph, is one serious bit of kit. It deserves respect like nothing else. Sure its no sportscar, but no Mercedes cars ever are. The SL55 time of 8.06 is very impressive, but the feel of the steering or automatic transmission and the weight will always discredit it from being a true sportscar.

Even people on rennteam who have no knowledge of AMG cars will always discredit them on account of their handling, but for me, handling and lap times mean essentially nothing...as evidenced by the SL55's time. Its all about feel and on the road manners as opposed to lap times. On our roads, if you can find a nice twisty course with no cars and want to push teh car a little you will always be looking for the sportscar feel that only three companies in this world can truly offer. The SL55 can do a pretty lap, but it cna no way replace the feel of a true sportscar. The SL65 is no exception.

What makes the SL65 so speical, is that its the fastest production car AMG ever produced. The SL55 was heralded as a saving grace and claim to fame for AMG's current success for its unusually uncanny and surreal ability to combine comfort and power. This doctrine extended to the rest of their range with one common engine, it proved very successful. The SL65 and other 65 cars were an extension of this philosophy but even more so (600hp+). Therefore regardless of how the car may handle, provided it has the kick it is more than enough justification for spending so much money.
    If an Sl55 encounters an Sl600 or an Sl65, the owner WILL regret it. The immense power generated by that V12 is unrivalled. Conclusion: its all about the power, and it IS noticeable!

Me personally, I would go for the SL55, not because its cheaper, but because it sounds out of this world, the 65 sounds tame and refined in comparison. The extra power I would love to have, but anything above 100K GBP becomes a liability to drive/insure/maintain especially due to our prejudiced and jealous society. The depreciation of a V12 roadster is immense in the UK. But if you got the money, why not?

The Sl65 is one helluva car, nothing really will discredit it and nothing justifies the Sl55 as a better buy apart from money (or lack thereof). When it comes to cars, whats more important, the bigger smile or the money you saved?

Isn't CL65 supposed to be lighter than SL65? If that's the case, isn't it supposed to be faster too?

Isn't CL65 supposed to be lighter than SL65? If that's the case, isn't it supposed to be faster too?

Quote:
    ///AMG Mercedes said:

I do not mean to directly contradict you on this one, but it always is the people who test drove 65 complain that they do not understand the point. remember all the reviews done on 65s.

Quote:
    ///AMG Mercedes said:

I do not mean to directly contradict you on this one, but it always is the people who test drove 65 complain that they do not understand the point. remember all the reviews done on 65s.

Jean, these guys don't seem to be complaining....

http://www.newcarnet.co.uk/mag_latest_rtest.html?id=573

"I don't know if Germans talk about Richten-und-Spritzer driving, but over here point-and-squirt is a term readily understood by performance drivers. Let me ramp that up to point-at-liberty-and-squirt-at-will, as I can think of no better way to convey to you the extraordinary traction, handling and roadholding of this sizeable car. If this were a tabloid newspaper I might venture the phrase "Phew, what a scorcher!' Hot isn't the word for it."

http://motoring.independent.co.uk/road_tests/story.jsp?story=585693

"But the engine remains something to marvel at, for I have never experienced another road car engine with such an inexhaustible and accessible supply of thrust. Paradoxically, it caused me to drive quite sedately much of the time, relaxed and confident in the need never to have to jockey for position in the traffic jungle. I knew that if I needed or wanted to overtake, or get away first from traffic lights, my wish would be granted at a mere ankle flex. Driven normally, nothing, but nothing, outruns AMG's 612bhp V12 away from rest"

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=16&article_id=8893&page_number=1

"Some might argue that the 604 horsepower and 738 pound-feet of torque packed into the SL65 AMG are too much power and thrust for a road car. They're wrong. No, the SL65 doesn't have too much power. Its problem is it wasn't given a commensurate helping of traction. After you drive the SL65, every car will feel underpowered."

http://www.newcarnet.co.uk/mag_latest_rtest.html?id=573

"I don't know if Germans talk about Richten-und-Spritzer driving, but over here point-and-squirt is a term readily understood by performance drivers. Let me ramp that up to point-at-liberty-and-squirt-at-will, as I can think of no better way to convey to you the extraordinary traction, handling and roadholding of this sizeable car. If this were a tabloid newspaper I might venture the phrase "Phew, what a scorcher!' Hot isn't the word for it."

http://motoring.independent.co.uk/road_tests/story.jsp?story=585693

"But the engine remains something to marvel at, for I have never experienced another road car engine with such an inexhaustible and accessible supply of thrust. Paradoxically, it caused me to drive quite sedately much of the time, relaxed and confident in the need never to have to jockey for position in the traffic jungle. I knew that if I needed or wanted to overtake, or get away first from traffic lights, my wish would be granted at a mere ankle flex. Driven normally, nothing, but nothing, outruns AMG's 612bhp V12 away from rest"

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=16&article_id=8893&page_number=1

"Some might argue that the 604 horsepower and 738 pound-feet of torque packed into the SL65 AMG are too much power and thrust for a road car. They're wrong. No, the SL65 doesn't have too much power. Its problem is it wasn't given a commensurate helping of traction. After you drive the SL65, every car will feel underpowered."

Quote:
    ///AMG Mercedes said:

No, the SL65 doesn't have too much power. Its problem is it wasn't given a commensurate helping of traction.

Bilal,

Even here, they are admitting that the chassis cannot handle the power of its wonderful engine. That's why people who drove the car said they do not see the point.

Quote:
    ///AMG Mercedes said:

No, the SL65 doesn't have too much power. Its problem is it wasn't given a commensurate helping of traction.

Bilal,

Even here, they are admitting that the chassis cannot handle the power of its wonderful engine. That's why people who drove the car said they do not see the point.

Bad extract for me to post.

What can I say, crap car, too much power, bad handling no feel, weighs more than two tonnes, has an autobox, unreliable Mercedes quality, depreciates like a rock, and is expensive to buy in the first place.

Does that answer what the SL65 is?

Bad extract for me to post.

What can I say, crap car, too much power, bad handling no feel, weighs more than two tonnes, has an autobox, unreliable Mercedes quality, depreciates like a rock, and is expensive to buy in the first place.

Does that answer what the SL65 is?

Quote:
    Power isn't everything.

evo's harry metcalfe quoted the old pirelli ad slogan in his article about the SL 65: "power is nothing without control".

Quote:
    Power isn't everything.

evo's harry metcalfe quoted the old pirelli ad slogan in his article about the SL 65: "power is nothing without control".

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    765089 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    437045 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261303 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258137 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82724 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5331 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877332 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809548 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM