Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 997 BLOWN ENGINE AFTER 2 MONTHS AND 4000 MILES

Forgive my ignorance but I'm interested to know how a lease works in the US. In the UK if you take out a lease you are basically renting the car over a pre-agreed time period i.e. 2, 3 or 4 years normally. A guaranteed residual value is placed upon the car at the end of the lease period so you are effectively paying for the funding cost between the purchase price and the guaranteed residual. If you turn the car in early there is a penalty price to be paid which is normally all of the outstanding rental payments to the end of the lease term. There would be no way we would have to get a trade in value as we would not hold title to the car. That stays with the lease company. It sounds from what you are saying that the US system is very different unlease you are talking about a lease purchase agreement?

As for the devaluation issue it may not be as bad as you think. I'm trading my BMW in with a replacement engine to a different BMW dealer from the one who supplied it and did the warranty work. The trade in value has not been affected at all in my case by the engine issue.

Ah yes, the Certificate of Authenticity

Quote:
    mrcohanian said:
    btw, the serial number of the replacement engine will never match the original chassis serial number, so yes there is devaluation issue.

When Porsche replaces an engine under warranty they change all the records for the car to reflect the replacement engine as the original engine. If you were to request a Certificate of Authenticity from Porsche after the engine was replaced it would show the replacement engine as the original engine for your car. In the future if anyone researched your car it would show the replacement engine as the original engine. I had an engine replaced in my 996 and this is what happened.

Having said that I too would be upset if my new car required an engine replacement. However, I would rather have an entirely new engine out of the crate than an engine that had major work done at a dealership.

Phil

997 BLOWN ENGINE AFTER 2 MONTHS AND 4000 MILES

I should check, maybe my updated Certificate is in the mailbox.

Quote:
    KenH said:
    If this kind of thing continues to happen a lot of Porsche owners will be buying a Lexus instead.
    We are many years on from the days when "sports car" owners had to put up with unreliability as par for the course.

i dont think so...

expensive, noisy, now maybe unreliable, mmh, hello Porsche bigots : préparez vos mouchoirs !

sorry, I forgot one more sports car advantage : no spare wheel ! Delightfull, amazing, etc...

Quote:
    cartouche said:
    expensive, noisy, now maybe unreliable, mmh, hello Porsche bigots : préparez vos mouchoirs !

Excuse me, Jacques Cousteau.
    First off, this is primarily a board for people who are Porsche enthusiasts.
    This means that most people in here are Porsche owners or drivers, and if they are not, at least they are truly interested in the Porsche brand.
    You dont like Porsches...or sportscars in general: Fine.
    But then this is the wrong place for you to be.
    If you want to vent your apparent recentment towards Porsche cars, you are very welcome to do so on another board.

If you want to join this discussion in a constructive manor, you are very welcome. Otherwise find another board to talk about the sportscar you DONT have.

Quote:
    cartouche said:
    sorry, I forgot one more sports car advantage : no spare wheel ! Delightfull, amazing, etc...

I just checked the 5-6 posts you have made so far, and they are ALL negative. In each and everyone you tell people how noisy and uncomfortable a Porsche is, and how useless a sportscar is.
    I suggest you get a little more constructive or find another website to vent your frustration.
    Thank you.

Quote:
    DrPhil said:
    Quote:
    cartouche said:

I just checked the 5-6 posts you have made so far, and they are ALL negative. In each and everyone you tell people how noisy and uncomfortable a Porsche is, and how useless a sportscar is.
    I suggest you get a little more constructive or find another website to vent your frustration.
    Thank you.

Cartouche - have also just read all your previous posts and think you must have inadvertently registered on the wrong forum. Your posts are neither constructive or interesting.

Dr Phil wrote :
    "I just checked the 5-6 posts you have made so far, and they are ALL negative. In each and everyone you tell people how noisy and uncomfortable a Porsche is, and how useless a sportscar is.
    Thank you."

Dear DrPhil,

I owned an old 911 a few years ago, and I liked this useless car, unless a ton of disadvantages...
    It was a long time ago, before I stoled enough money to buy a new one.
    I didn't like the 996, so I spended my fortune to other guilty pleasures.
    Three weeks ago, I've ordered a 997S. Black and black. No options (I have principes). That's the reason why I'm wandering here in the chapel...
    I'll receive it in April I guess.
    So I'll own the expensive, noisy, uncomfortable and maybe unreliable car I've tried (4 hours and 400 km), with no spare wheel...And I like it !
    Does'nt it worth a piece of second degré ?
    I'm not quite sure you know what I mean...
    Anyway, I'll follow your council and leave this chapel.
    See you soon in another Disney paradise of unanimism and well thinking

Quote:
    cartouche said:
    Dr Phil wrote :
    "I just checked the 5-6 posts you have made so far, and they are ALL negative. In each and everyone you tell people how noisy and uncomfortable a Porsche is, and how useless a sportscar is.
    Thank you."

Dear DrPhil,

I owned an old 911 a few years ago, and I liked this useless car, unless a ton of disadvantages...
    It was a long time ago, before I stoled enough money to buy a new one.
    I didn't like the 996, so I spended my fortune to other guilty pleasures.
    Three weeks ago, I've ordered a 997S. Black and black. No options (I have principes). That's the reason why I'm wandering here in the chapel...
    I'll receive it in April I guess.
    So I'll own the expensive, noisy, uncomfortable and maybe unreliable car I've tried (4 hours and 400 km), with no spare wheel...And I like it !
    Does'nt it worth a piece of second degré ?
    I'm not quite sure you know what I mean...
    See you soon in another Disney paradise of unanimism and well thinking

Smoking carpets and drinking brake fluid is a lethal combination.

Back to washing dishes at Mickey D's!

Quote:
    nicholas j said:

they have dishes at mickey d's?

Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    Quote:
    nicholas j said:

they have dishes at mickey d's?

Well, well. Aren't you an eager beaver...

After an incoherent post and non-sensical post - seems the best move to me.

I having been driving porsches for the past ten years . I love theses cars and think that the 997 is the best car porsche has ever developed Their cars have always been reliable and this is my first major problem with one of their cars. It is a high performance engine and failures can occur. I just hope porsche can rectify this problem in a timely manner because its only been 2 days and really miss not having the car.. I am now using my 987S whiched i picked up 2 weeks ago. Lets just say this , The new boxster S is a great car but it is no 911 . The 911 simply is the better car PERIOD in my opinion.

Dr Phil wrote :
    Thank you." "

Ouch! Another blow for freedom of speech.
    I can see nothing in the rules of this forum that supports the above viewpoint.
    I find such personal attacks entirely unacceptable and the view that "either you align with my opinion of what this forum is about or get out!" even worse.

Quote:
    KenH said:
    Dr Phil wrote :
    Thank you." "

Ouch! Another blow for freedom of speech.
    I can see nothing in the rules of this forum that supports the above viewpoint.
    I find such personal attacks entirely unacceptable and the view that "either you align with my opinion of what this forum is about or get out!" even worse.

Ken, I think you are missing my point.
    This has nothing to do with freedom of speech.
    I am an avid protector and supporter of freedom of speech. I think people who know me will agree. (right, RC? )

The person in question has made 6-7 post, all of which are not just critical, but plain negative and unconstructive. His only viewpoint in 6-7 posts is that Porsche 911 is a POS car...well, in fact he thinks most sportscars are crap. And he uses almost the same argument everytime.
    He is definately entitled to this viewpoint, but I am certain that I am also entitled to mine.
    Mine is that people like him need to either find a way to be critical in a constructive fashion, or find somewhere else to vent their negativity.
    There is absolutely no point in joining a Porsche forum, if all you want is to promote your recentment towards Porsche. I hope you agree with me on that.

This is a board for Porsche enthusiasts (who sometimes hate their car), not Porsche haters.
    Plain and simple.

Well said,Dr.Phil. My wife left the BMW board for the same reason. To much negativity towards very models they drove.Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but when it results in a continuous, negative behavior, where does it end?

Dr Phil,
    I disagree with quite a lot of what you have said, partly because your justification is only based on your rather strong personal judgements about a person gained purely from a few posts. I think the public rejection of the person was also not a good thing.
    Neither of us know much at all about the person in question other than what little we have read about his views. In addition it is clear that English is not first language (I know that is probably true of you too but Danes are noted for their English capability) and we ought to be sympathetic to the fact that his choice of words might not be exactly what he has in his mind.
    I think we should "live and let live". If we don't want to have a broad mix of viewpoints we should not have an open internet forum.
    I suspect if anyone looked at a sample of my posts on BMW or Porsche forums they could easily come to the conclusion that I am not a fan of either product - but the fact is that I am now on my 23rd BMW and my 11th Porsche (which probably qualifies me as an enthusiast) and my views about them evolve and change. In particular the use of sarcasm and jokes and such like in text can often be misinterpreted by others (as I have learned to my cost).
    I don't want to bore the rest of this community any longer with my disagreement with you over this issue but would be happy to continue the debate on a one-to-one basis by email if you wanted to.

Quote:
    KenH said:
    Dr Phil,
    I disagree with quite a lot of what you have said, partly because your justification is only based on your rather strong personal judgements about a person gained purely from a few posts. I think the public rejection of the person was also not a good thing.
    Neither of us know much at all about the person in question other than what little we have read about his views. In addition it is clear that English is not first language (I know that is probably true of you too but Danes are noted for their English capability) and we ought to be sympathetic to the fact that his choice of words might not be exactly what he has in his mind.
    I think we should "live and let live". If we don't want to have a broad mix of viewpoints we should not have an open internet forum.
    I suspect if anyone looked at a sample of my posts on BMW or Porsche forums they could easily come to the conclusion that I am not a fan of either product - but the fact is that I am now on my 23rd BMW and my 11th Porsche (which probably qualifies me as an enthusiast) and my views about them evolve and change. In particular the use of sarcasm and jokes and such like in text can often be misinterpreted by others (as I have learned to my cost).
    I don't want to bore the rest of this community any longer with my disagreement with you over this issue but would be happy to continue the debate on a one-to-one basis by email if you wanted to.

Hey Ken.
    Thanks for your comment.
    I'd be happy to continue 1on1.
    I believe your post proves my very point: That you can disagree without being destructive and resentful.

Quote:
    mrcohanian said:
    Today, on route to office, I had my first major problem with my 997. Driving at 30mph, I all of a sudden noticed a loud rattleing sound coming from the engine. At first I thought the muffler came loose and that I was dragging it on the ground. I immediately pulled over and looked around the car but saw nothing. I started the engine again and the car was making all kind of loud funky sounds as if a piece of metal was loose in the engine and was being bounced around. I called porsche roadside and had the car flatbed to the porsche dealership. At that point , I walked into the sevice bay and told the head mechanic that there was a serious problem with my car. As he pulled the car into the bay, oil was pouring out all over the place. To make a long story short, they found a hole in the engine crankcase the size of a quarter . They think one of the cylinder rods broke loose and put a hole in the crankcase. The mecanic said the engine is unrepairable and that I would need a new engine. My response was for a 80000 dollar car that was only 2 months old, this was completely unacceptable and they can keep the car. I was told that they will contact the porsche regional and I will be contacted in 7-10 days as to determine how to handle this. As far as I am concerned , I have no intention of taking this car back, Would you with a car thats two months old that now needs a brand new engine. Meanwhile here i am paying a porsche lease on a 997 every month and I have no car. Tell me you wound't be pissed about this.

I'm probably saying what you already know (but deep down I hope not). You have a great car and replacing the engine is not going to be a big deal to you about a month from now or less. My previous Porsche, a 2002 Boxster S, had its transmission replaced. It did not affect the resale value. In fact, after more than 52,000 miles, in one of the oddities of auto sales, Porsche of Arlington (Virginia) made it into a Porsche certified vehicle when I traded it for the 997. I got a fair price for it. The S ran perfectly after the transmission was changed out. What happened was a fluke. Be glad you don't have Lambo or Ferrari--talk about reliability problems!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762796 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435557 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260616 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257642 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80968 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5322 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872472 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807862 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM