Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

First Volvo, now Renault...180 kph speed limiter

Renault to limit top speed of all cars to 180 km/h

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

Re: First Volvo, now Renault...180 kph speed limiter

RC:

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

Next is matches and sharp objects.   I frankly don’t understand why cars don’t already report our speeding violations each and every time.  Should there be any difference between a cars top speed and the speed limit?  Just kidding 

Leawood911:
    RC:

--

Next is matches and sharp objects.   I frankly don’t understand why cars don’t already report our speeding violations each and every time.  Should there be any difference between a cars top speed and the speed limit?  Just kidding 

Funny that you mention this: My son just told me yesterday that he expects something like this to happen at some point in the future. I wouldn't be surprised at all.

Some German insurances ask their customers to install a bluetooth dongle to reduce their insurance rates, especially for younger drivers. This OBD2 adapter analyzes speeds, acceleration(!) and so on, George Orwell sends his regards.

27-04-_2021_15-25-01.jpg

--

They offer similar programs here to 'save you money' on your insurance based on speed, acceleration, how hard you brake, etc.., and tell you it can lower your premiums. I don't think cars should be tracking this kind of data to start with, but allowing insurance companies to collect and review your data is not a good idea. Cell phones and Internet providers already track you to a degree that most people do not realize. Once Bill Gates gets his microchip injected into us we are all screwed. /s

I had never really imagined taking a Volvo or Renault past 111mph  angry

JoeRockhead:

They offer similar programs here to 'save you money' on your insurance based on speed, acceleration, how hard you brake, etc.., and tell you it can lower your premiums. I don't think cars should be tracking this kind of data to start with, but allowing insurance companies to collect and review your data is not a good idea. Cell phones and Internet providers already track you to a degree that most people do not realize. Once Bill Gates gets his microchip injected into us we are all screwed. /s

Agreed but I'm afraid this is the future of (individual) driving... Smiley

--

If cars do not have to be safe at speeds above 200km/h then manufacturers can save more by putting cheaper lower rated tires, weaker brakes, lower tolerances on the suspensions, etc... some shortsighted drivers may think these types of measures are a good idea for safety, but it is actually the opposite for the driver and passengers, the only one winning here is the manufacturer, that is why they are so eager to jump on the bandwagon.

Carlos from Spain:

If cars do not have to be safe at speeds above 200km/h then manufacturers can save more by putting cheaper lower rated tires, weaker brakes, lower tolerances on the suspensions, etc... some shortsighted drivers may think these types of measures are a good idea for safety, but it is actually the opposite for the driver and passengers, the only one winning here is the manufacturer, that is why they are so eager to jump on the bandwagon.

+1

EVs are bringing the relatively low speed limits into fashion too. Cars built for the unrestricted autobahn is what has made the German auto companies a global powerhouse.  

Quite correct; but I think a Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing with a manual transmission should give them a good run for their money.   wink

Gladstone:

Quite correct; but I think a Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing with a manual transmission should give them a good run for their money.   wink

As posted before, I’m waiting for my Cadillac.  The last Cadillac in the stable was my Father’s company car twenty-five years ago. 

JoeRockhead:

Both our newer vehicles have sim card, thus internet, capability, but they have never been activated.  The extra "features" this provides are meaningless to us.  Porsche dealer did kick up a fuss when we refused to activate the Turbo's sim card.... sob stories that sales staff would have bonuses taken away, etc....Smiley 

--

2017 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2019 Porsche 911 Turbo

Carlos from Spain:

Yep. Smiley They tell customers that wonderful story about safety but in reality, it is a publicity stunt and of course a cost saving measure. If a car doesn't have to be engineered, tested and certified at speeds over 180 kph, they save tons of money.

--

If we are objectif, there are not many places in the world where you can drive at over 180 km/h. Hardly actually. And this will even get worse. So, I am no shocked that some car makers put this limit on their cars, cars that are not in the sports segment anyway. They can limit them and put effort into confort and other features.

For Renault I just wonder what they are going to do with the Megane RS ?. Maybe they will keep some special model open. Would make sense. 

The scary thing is not the 180 km/h limit but that the cars will also have an ' automatic  speed limit controller ', based on GPS and panel reading .  Next step is indeed that the control sends the info to the police.   We could well get there in the future. Probably will. Just a matter of time.  Or cars will just not be able to go over speed limits, no matter what you do.

With the electrification and the softwear in cars becoming the main element, cars will just be part of an ecosystem controlled by the state.  There is no other way I am afraid. Mentalities are changing fast......

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

Gnil:

If we are objectif, there are not many places in the world where you can drive at over 180 km/h. Hardly actually. And this will even get worse. So, I am no shocked that some car makers put this limit on their cars, cars that are not in the sports segment anyway. They can limit them and put effort into confort and other features.

For Renault I just wonder what they are going to do with the Megane RS ?. Maybe they will keep some special model open. Would make sense. 

The scary thing is not the 180 km/h limit but that the cars will also have an ' automatic  speed limit controller ', based on GPS and panel reading .  Next step is indeed that the control sends the info to the police.   We could well get there in the future. Probably will. Just a matter of time.  Or cars will just not be able to go over speed limits, no matter what you do.

With the electrification and the softwear in cars becoming the main element, cars will just be part of an ecosystem controlled by the state.  There is no other way I am afraid. Mentalities are changing fast......

--

This happens because people allow this to happen. Many to do realize what these electronic "nannies" actually mean for them, they get sold on them with safety and environmental stuff.

In the not so far future, electronic nannies will automatically give tickets to drivers, probably even directly deduct the money from the bank account if you do not contest the offense. Smiley Sounds like a wonderful future for us car lovers. Smiley

--

Not sure how many Renault can go beyond 180km/h apart from very very few models. Not a big loss angry

the electric model Zoe which is a big seller across all Europe is already at max in that speed range so again nothing new. 

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:

Not sure how many Renault can go beyond 180km/h apart from very very few models. Not a big loss angry

the electric model Zoe which is a big seller across all Europe is already at max in that speed range so again nothing new. 

Volvo did the same a while ago.

--

Lambo next smiley

--

2016 Porsche 981 GT4 | Racing Yellow
    2018 Audi S6 Avant | Ibis White

Only after they go “full EV” smiley

Volkswagen is even limiting the top speed of its new iD.4 GTX to 180 km/h.  That’s insane but illustrative of the auto industry’s efforts to curtail speed to extend range on its EVs.  

CGX car nut:

Volkswagen is even limiting the top speed of its new iD.4 GTX to 180 km/h.  That’s insane but illustrative of the auto industry’s efforts to curtail speed to extend range on its EVs.  

Which is silly because of how these cars are actually used and charged 98% of the time. Range anxiety is something one has looking in from the outside prior to actual ownership. 
    Additionally - Reality is that in a few years range and charge times will be far better than now but good luck getting them to raise the speed limits back up. Hope you voters and don’t buy into the BS. 
    Im so sick of the political Games and such especially in undermining the normal ICE life cycle with EV incentives. Yes you heard me right. The transition needs to be based on real benefits not government subsidized $$. Sink or swim in a free market is the only way to get the best products.  

In my opinion the heated debate on restricting Autobahn speeds in Germany is mostly about social envy. This is a way to show the middle finger to all the "Porsche/BMW/etc." drivers. 
    The focus on emissions or the prevention of fatal accidents is just a way to gain the moral high ground in this debate.

1) The real-world impact on emissions today is probably negligible - in an EV world it will become irrelevant (provided we have clean energy).
    2) Speed-related accidents are a problem yes - but most happen on speed-limited country roads. So I'm not sure how a speed-limit on the Autobahn will help.

I'm all for protecting the environment or combating climate change, but let's please focus on the real problems. Same with air traffic - yes, we need to find alternative fuels, but in the grand scheme of things it's not our most pressing problem.

Just my 2 cents. 

Tim:

In my opinion the heated debate on restricting Autobahn speeds in Germany is mostly about social envy. This is a way to show the middle finger to all the "Porsche/BMW/etc." drivers.  

One could turn that around, the unrestricted speed is a way for drivers of higher social class to show the middle finger to all the rest Smiley 

--

2016 Porsche 981 GT4 | Racing Yellow
    2018 Audi S6 Avant | Ibis White

the-missile:

They will brand them ALPINE I guess.

tso:
    the-missile:

The new boss of Renault said all ALPINE will be electric Smiley

--

Alpine is synonymous with sporstcar and driver's car ethos, making them electric is the opposite, you would think they would be the last to turn EV in Renault's line  yes

bluelines:

Lambo next smiley

Swedish humor? Smiley

--

Tim:

The focus on emissions or the prevention of fatal accidents is just a way to gain the moral high ground in this debate.

Well said. 

1) The real-world impact on emissions today is probably negligible - in an EV world it will become irrelevant (provided we have clean energy).
    2) Speed-related accidents are a problem yes - but most happen on speed-limited country roads. So I'm not sure how a speed-limit on the Autobahn will help.

I'm all for protecting the environment or combating climate change, but let's please focus on the real problems. Same with air traffic - yes, we need to find alternative fuels, but in the grand scheme of things it's not our most pressing problem.

Just my 2 cents. 

Again... Smiley

--

tso:
    the-missile:

Would be a smart (but also hypocritical) move.

--

Limit the speed is for wider range. It is not about limiting the autobahn for the sale of limiting it. The plan for EV cars since day one is to clean polluted cities; noise and smell. The plan is at some point to completely ban ICE cars from cities so you will need a good range to go and be back. 

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/16/24 3:13 PM
    watt
    755246 1797
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431570 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258870 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255898 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79896 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5263 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868922 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    802961 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM