Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Road Angel

Mostly to our UK users.
    Do you guys know what Road Angel is? And if yes, do you use it?
    The company that sells Road Angel has just penetrated the French market and I am seriously considering one.
    Is it very effective in terms of radar warning?
    I know the top model in the UK includes a laser radar detector, this is prohibited by the law in France so the model we get is the Road Angel 2.
    Which to my surprise is 100% legal. It is not a radar detector, it's a GPS that warns you when approachine a potential radar location based on the regularly updated database.
    I think it is very similar to what you can do with a PDA and a software like TomTom but it seems that Road Angel would be the preferred option for me, as it does exactly what I need it to do and I don't really need a PDA right now.
    Input and experiences greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
    PS: Oh and they told me that, because of legal issues again, a brit road angel would not work in the France and vice versa, however, the french one also had in its database radar locations for Belgium, Swizerland, Spain, Italy and more coming, so that's really good I think.

Re: Road Angel

As far as I know, its great but you still need a radar detector, the reason being is that it will not inform you of surprise traps or specially the movile Ka-band radar with is used frequently in europe (the camo cars with a Multanova 6F for example that ride with traffic and when you overtake they catch you, or they stop and park the car were ever and catch passing by vehicles), those are not fixed so nobody knows its location at a give moment. But in conjuction with a radar detector its the best fool proof combination. I don't use on in Spain mainly becuase the traps are not registered as far as I know, so useless to this date.

to circumvent the radar detector laws, they should invent something that can constantly update radar locations by GPS and then send warnings to a GPS reciever mounted inside the car

Quote:
    Moogle said:
    to circumvent the radar detector laws, they should invent something that can constantly update radar locations by GPS and then send warnings to a GPS reciever mounted inside the car

Thats what these Road Angle, Origin, Geodesy, etc do. There is a daily updated database of radar locations that you subscribe to and upload to the GPS reciever, and in turn it warns you when you approach them

Its not a radar detector so they are suposed to be legal, but here in Spain, the law states that any deviced designed to warn or interfere with traffic speed sensing devices are ilegal, so they could fine you if they wanted to I guess. The law does not specify that its radar detectros that are ilegal, but any device used for that purpose. And probably France is the same, only in UK radar detectors are legal.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    Moogle said:

Thats what these Road Angle, Origin, Geodesy, etc do. There is a daily updated database of radar locations that you subscribe to and upload to the GPS reciever, and in turn it warns you when you approach them

Its not a radar detector so they are suposed to be legal, but here in Spain, the law states that any deviced designed to warn or interfere with traffic speed sensing devices are ilegal, so they could fine you if they wanted to I guess. The law does not specify that its radar detectros that are ilegal, but any device used for that purpose. And probably France is the same, only in UK radar detectors are legal.

I have the Snooper S6, which detects radar and laser and also has a GPS location which alerts on approach to the fixed, "passive" cameras such as Truvelo and Gatso. Through regular downloading from Snooper, the device keeps new locations up to date. The display on alert indicates the type of camera, its distance, the speed limit and the road number. The warning alert increases in frequency the closer the camera gets. The database does not include traffic light cameras, which I don't have a problem with - anyone who "jumps" a red light deserves to be caught. The UK are now proposing to make radar and laser detectors illegal but not GPS as they have no problem with alerts for the fixed cameras which are in theory only located in accident black spots and are usually painted in dayglo paint. There is a problem with banning radar and laser devices, as this would also theoretically ban parking sensors and also the new Mercedes automated cruise control systems which, by means of radar, automatically maintain a safe distance from the vehicle in front.

Kudos to Vauxhall by the way... hope it spreads along the industry:

From PistonHeads:

"VAUXHALL TO SELL SPEED CAMERA DETECTORS

Wednesday 2nd February

Mass manufacturer adds Origin b2 to accessories list.

Vauxhall has taken the plunge and is offering a speed camera protection device as an accessory. Prompted no doubt by the fact that upcoming legislation (Road Safety Bill) is to allow systems that do not detect radar or laser beams to remain legal, Vauxhall has added the Origin b2 to its official accessories price list.

The dashboard-mounted Origin b2 uses GPS technology to warns you of approaching speed cameras. Vauxhall is selling the safety aspect too, pointing out that it can alert you to accident black spots, school and congestion charging cameras.

Only conspiracy theorists would judge the move to be a softener for more sinister remote control technology further down the road..."

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    Moogle said:

Correct, but those Road Angel things are legal in France because they are not radar detectors.
    I'm gonna get one and let you know if it's worth it.
    It can't detect mobile radars, you're right Carlos, but it considerably lowers the risk in the first place for Fixed cameras and for Radar frequent spots, it's a plus.

Its definately a plus, and it warns you in plenty of time judging your car's speed by GPS and so on, radar detectors sometimes warn you when you are almost on top of the radar and have less time to slow down. Also the GPS system will warn you of other fixed speed-enforcement devices which do not employ radar, and which the radar detector will not detect.

As to mobile vs fixed radars, it depends on the country also becuase for example in UK there are mostly fixed radars while in my area of Spain there are no fixed radars, they are all mobile, yet in Cataluña region there are more fixed radars.

I'd just double check just to be on the safe side if they are in fact legal in France because the wording of the law may be ambiguous enough for them to include GPS detectors, and you know how the french police are

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688764 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408794 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255568 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234821 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65411 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4636 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857659 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773533 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM