Crown

Board: Lamborghini Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Aventador and SV

I have written about this several times before.  Product development involves making a number of potentially costly trade-offs in parameters and specification.  The Aventador retains the same configuration as introduced with the Countach almost fifty years ago.  

The transmission is in front of the engine instead of behind as found in most rear mid-engine configurations. This means that the significantly wider and more squat dual clutch transmission can’t be utilized if cabin space is maintained. The converse, turning the powertrain around so the transmission is at the rear of the car, is an even more complex and costly option. Frankly, with the low production volume and onerous future regulations, this is not a cost effective solution either.  

Prediction: Lamborghini will maintain this configuration with corresponding modifications to the transmission, like the Sian’s hybrid system, until that V-12 is regulated away. 

CGX car nut:

Prediction: Lamborghini will maintain this configuration with corresponding modifications to the transmission, like the Sian’s hybrid system, until that V-12 is regulated away. 

Agreed on why they have needed to stick with the appalling single clutch on the current platform. There is no way they can launch an Aventador successor without a dual clutch system and the last I heard that will be a V12. Have I misunderstood your post?

Angry bull waiting for lockdown to ease......

IMG_1533.jpeg

That was the point of my post.  The business case does not exist for a complete revamp of the platform unless Lamborghini shares the platform with its lower priced replacement for the Huracan.  However, even this would make continuing with the V-12 difficult because the engine would need an entire re-engineer to operate in a different orientation. Those costs are difficult to recoup under the future regulations.  

crayphile:

IMG_1533.jpeg

Stunning. A perfect spec for that car. 

crayphile:

IMG_1533.jpeg

I can see the logic of gold wheels on this car. You get my seal of approval.Smiley

Its a fabulous color combination.Smiley

--

The purpose of life is to enjoy the moment.

nberry: I can see the logic of gold wheels on this car. You get my seal of approval.Smiley

Its a fabulous color combination.Smiley

wink

Absolute Stunner

Looking good Cray!

crayphile:
    CGX car nut:

Agreed on why they have needed to stick with the appalling single clutch on the current platform. There is no way they can launch an Aventador successor without a dual clutch system and the last I heard that will be a V12. Have I misunderstood your post?

Aventador successor gets a DCT and a pretty good one. This is 100%. The mild hybrid is also 100%. Some design elements from the Sian too. V12 n/a engine. 100%. This is all I have but it comes from a 100% source. Smiley  Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

crayphile:

IMG_1533.jpeg

Smiley Smiley Open the engine hood and take a pic...pure art. I sat once half an hour just looking at the engine bay, call me crazy. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

RC:

Aventador successor gets a DCT and a pretty good one. This is 100%. The mild hybrid is also 100%. Some design elements from the Sian too. V12 n/a engine. 100%. This is all I have but it comes from a 100% source. Smiley  Smiley

That was what I heard too. Any idea on timing? In the meantime we will have death by special edition for the current platform. Countach tribute next I think.

crayphile:
    RC:

That was what I heard too. Any idea on timing? In the meantime we will have death by special edition for the current platform. Countach tribute next I think.

Smiley Smiley

2023 was the time for the Aventador successor but with Corona and all, this may go right into 2024. I haven't talked to that particular person for a while (no, not my dealer but I will be there in April for the big inspection for my Performante, so maybe he knows more by then).

--

crayphile:
    RC:

Does the replacement remain LP?   That was the reason given for not having a DCT with the Aventador.  

CGX car nut:
    crayphile:
    RC:

Does the replacement remain LP?   That was the reason given for not having a DCT with the Aventador.  

No clue. I just have V12 mild-hybrid, this is all I heard. I do not think it will be impossible with the LP engine placement, tech has evolved a lot and a completely new drivetrain is expected anyway (which will be used together with Porsche and others in the VW Group...as far as I heard but since Bentley is going full EV apparently...). Actually, what I heard about the Aventador successor is that it is possible to make a full EV out of it if necessary.

The future of the Huracan will be a mixed bag: No more V10 n/a but a V8 Biturbo. As a compensation, this car will finally have a proper power figure to keep up with Ferrari and McLaren. The weight will be interesting but I do not think that Lamborghini can keep up with McLaren, at least not with the platform they share with Porsche. Smiley

--

Dual clutch transmissions means the outer clutch ring is much larger in diameter than the inner clutch, and that inner clutch must transmit the full output of that V12 too.  There’s only so much that can be done to handle the power within a reasonably sized clutch pack.  This is why a DCT is wider in dimensions than a corresponding single clutch gear box.  I really doubt that Lamborghini can make the Aventador replacement much wider than the existing model. 

The thought of an electric Lamborghini is depressing since the symphony of sound is part of the DNA of the brand. 

IMG_1533.jpeg

Poster material. Very well done Cray!

Cray, what an absolutely stunningly beautiful car! Congrats, it must be hell to have to wait so long for you to be able to play with the new toy! 

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

very very good looking car/spec !

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Latest Aventador rumor (and SVJ owners won't like it):

Before the Aventador production stops, there will be one more Aventador special model, limited in production for a year (not sure how many will be built). Here's the fun part: This model will have more power than the SVJ but it will be cheaper as well.  

--

RC:

Before the Aventador production stops, there will be one more Aventador special model, limited in production for a year (not sure how many will be built). Here's the fun part: This model will have more power than the SVJ but it will be cheaper as well.  

Give it a proper DCT and I'm in. Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:
    RC:

Nope, next gen only. Smiley

--

RC:
    Rossi:
    RC:

Nope, next gen only. Smiley

One has written many times that a DCT is too wide to fit within the confines of the current transmission space.  This is only rectified if the Aventador replacement changes the powertrain layout which has remained fixed from the time of the Countach.  

Not another one mail

SJ

BiTurbo:

Not another one mail

The last! Smiley

Maybe... Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:
    BiTurbo:

Not another one mail

The last! Smiley

Maybe... Smiley

The Aventador is the modern Countach.  The next Lamborghini will be a break from a format the company has built since the very first Countach so it is understandable the company is treading carefully.  

Lamborghini Aventador LP 780-4 Ultimae

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQ-78gDjj61/

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/17/24 7:48 AM
    GnilM
    661132 1775
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    400920 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    254558 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    228987 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    59329 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4372 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

853301 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    761369 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM