Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Tesla

Imagine what women think of guys driving loud exotic cars?  (Hint - tool, player, sugar daddy - should I go on?)

Imagine women looking for a successful, smart and sensible, reliable and trustworthy boyfriend.  

My wife is 38, I’m 57. She prefers the Tesla over the Turbo. Had she seen I had a Porsche she would not have even spoken to me most likely. 

If you still think you can attract women with cars you are thinking like a teenage boy. Who, by the way, love Teslas if any car at all. RCs son excluded but then again he is a teenager making my previous point as he dreams of taking the Lamborghini out to cruise Betty’s in Bavaria. 

RC is even getting thumbs down from car guys enlightenedindecision Women we don’t even need to start discussing.

--

2016 Porsche 981 GT4 | Racing Yellow
    2018 Audi S6 Avant | Ibis White

bluelines:

RC is even getting thumbs down from car guys enlightenedindecision Women we don’t even need to start discussing.

As long as I don't get a thumb up my a.., like you...I'm good. Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

2022 Mercedes EQS

New ‘Hyperscreen’ infotainment
    108kWh battery
    478 miles of range(770Km) WLTP
    0-60mph in 4.3 seconds
    Two- and Four-wheel drive
    Standard rear-wheel steering
    Advanced driver-assistance tech
    Expected to cost form £80,000

Very cool kiss

--

Topspeed:

2022 Mercedes EQS

108kWh battery
    0-60mph in 4.3 seconds

You should put this in the Taycan thread. This car competes against the Taycan, not a Tesla. 

--

The new Audi Q4 competes against the Tesla Model 3/Y and presents a very attractive, competent, and competitive offering.  The production video released in conjunction with the Q4 launch showed production efficiencies that Tesla still has yet to apply, let alone master.  The entire lower body assembly, battery pack, powertrain, and suspension is shared with the Volkswagen ID.3/4 and Skoda Enyaq leading to significant economies of scale. 

Audi will also debut a new EV saloon concept in April 19th at the Shanghai Auto Show.  It is the first look at the new PPE, Premium Platform Electric, jointly developed with Porsche.  The concept is A5 Sportback sized and the design sketches look stunning.  Porsche’s first vehicle to use the PPE is the Macan.  

Whoopsy:
    Topspeed:

2022 Mercedes EQS

108kWh battery
    0-60mph in 4.3 seconds

You should put this in the Taycan thread. This car competes against the Taycan, not a Tesla. 

True. Neither compete with Tesla.  
    love how the reviewer note the door opening on its own and closing with the brake pedal.  Who thinks of this stuff?  Too bad you have to buy to one with rose gold trim to get that.  Options may get pricey.  
    A bit slow - how is the autopilot?

Nice dash and interior. Totally worth it 

CGX car nut:

The new Audi Q4 competes against the Tesla Model 3/Y and presents a very attractive, competent, and competitive offering.  The production video released in conjunction with the Q4 launch showed production efficiencies that Tesla still has yet to apply, let alone master.  The entire lower body assembly, battery pack, powertrain, and suspension is shared with the Volkswagen ID.3/4 and Skoda Enyaq leading to significant economies of scale. 

The Q4 is a great looking EV. Very attractive package. Looking forward to this one hitting the dealers and taking it fit a drive.

--

It gets said a lot about too many cars, but, giant logo aside, that EQS really could be anycar.  (I see mostly Citroen.)

bluelines:
    CGX car nut:

The Q4 is a great looking EV. Very attractive package. Looking forward to this one hitting the dealers and taking it fit a drive.

you like rear drum brakes, right?

wantone:
    bluelines:
    CGX car nut:

What an elitist, as well as ignorant, comment.  The Volkswagen Group has explained its sound engineering reasons for incorporating sealed rear drum brakes.  EVs often rely on regeneration from the electric drive units for the bulk of the braking duties.  As a result, disk brakes often pit and corrode from the environmental exposure.  To minimize this problem, a seal drum brake system was developed.  These brakes should last for the entire life cycle of the vehicle without any additional maintenance.  

Porsche to help combat this problem developed the tungsten-carbide system; however, cost factors limit this option to more expensive vehicles than those built on the MEB component set.  These are the types of innovation developed when an automaker has in-depth testing and quality protocols in place versus agile software teams that add bodily function sounds to its operating system.  

CGX car nut:
    EVs often rely on regeneration from the electric drive units for the bulk of the braking duties.  As a result, disk brakes often pit and corrode from the environmental exposure.  To minimize this problem, a seal drum brake system was developed.  These brakes should last for the entire life cycle of the vehicle without any additional maintenance.  

Porsche to help combat this problem developed the tungsten-carbide system; however, cost factors limit this option to more expensive vehicles than those built on the MEB component set.  

Very interesting, wasn't aware that the Q4 had rear drum brakes and that there was a good reason for them.

CGX car nut:
    wantone:
    bluelines:
    CGX car nut:

What an elitist, as well as ignorant, comment.  The Volkswagen Group has explained its sound engineering reasons for incorporating sealed rear drum brakes.  EVs often rely on regeneration from the electric drive units for the bulk of the braking duties.  As a result, disk brakes often pit and corrode from the environmental exposure.  To minimize this problem, a seal drum brake system was developed.  These brakes should last for the entire life cycle of the vehicle without any additional maintenance.  

Porsche to help combat this problem developed the tungsten-carbide system; however, cost factors limit this option to more expensive vehicles than those built on the MEB component set.  These are the types of innovation developed when an automaker has in-depth testing and quality protocols in place versus agile software teams that add bodily function sounds to its operating system.  

By all means - let’s start every logical reply with an insult. You actually made a good point for once - the hate speech does not help.  Is there anything we can do to help this sink in a bit? 
    I totally fail to see what agile software teams have done wrong or how fun noise choices are bad?  You just love to lump anger into groups. Geeeez

Of course you know exactly how much quality control and in-debth testing each automaker does. Lol. Obviously this is also reflected in market value. - it seems the worse the product is the higher the market value.  The entire market is wrong but you are correct. Smiley

And I’m part of a cult. At least mine is a love cult. Kisses 😘 

Carlos from Spain:
    CGX car nut:
    EVs often rely on regeneration from the electric drive units for the bulk of the braking duties.  As a result, disk brakes often pit and corrode from the environmental exposure.  To minimize this problem, a seal drum brake system was developed.  These brakes should last for the entire life cycle of the vehicle without any additional maintenance.  

Porsche to help combat this problem developed the tungsten-carbide system; however, cost factors limit this option to more expensive vehicles than those built on the MEB component set.  

Very interesting, wasn't aware that the Q4 had rear drum brakes and that there was a good reason for them.

True. I use one pedal driving almost exclusively. Wife loves that I am much smoother when we are out driving. Every time I touch the brakes I feel like I’m leaving a light switch on in a room I just left. 
    Obviously, for the performance version I have there are massive Brembo brakes handy for a few quick stops if required. Certainly not an EV requirement if driven as intended 

CGX car nut:

Another half-baked software package from Tesla: https://jalopnik.com/this-billboard-that-confuses-tesla-autopilot-is-a-good-1846698527

Nice story except Tesla autopilot does not stop for stop lights or stop signs.  That is a fact.  It will stop if a car stop ahead of you but only FSD stops for lights and signs  

What you see in the video is the safety system engaging because the car thinks the driver missed the stop sign. Subtle difference to be certain as he also happened to have autopilot engaged. The fact is that the car would have done the same thing if he had not used autopilot. He must have safety intervention turned up to early warning rather than late. 
    Not that this is always something you want your car doing for you but this had nothing to do with autopilot. The guy does wish for and ask Elon for fsd so he is not exactly opposed to the tech. Lol. 

Anyway - still a good indication of the challenges autopilot brings to the table. It is a bitch of a problem. 

Autopilot or not but this is damn' impressive...Tesla X Plaid. 1020 hp. Look at the price tag, for this price tag you get nothing even close to this performance.

161882442900619-04-_2021_11-25-03.jpg
    161882442891019-04-_2021_11-25-46.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

The other day a Hyundai KONA electric  was racing me in my  997 Carrera S after a stop light. I pulled away, did not want to be humiliated angry

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

Gnil:

The other day a Hyundai KONA electric  was racing me in my  997 Carrera S after a stop light. I pulled away, did not want to be humiliated angry

I got "raced" by a Jaguar I-Pace, don't know which model it was. He fully accelerated at the stop light, I didn't. Afterwards, he grinned at me at the next stop light and I grinned back. Then, I destroyed him, I was around 100 meters ahead of him when he actually started to pull from the stop light. Smiley You can't beat a Trackhawk from a stoplight, no matter what car you have. The first 100 meters are mine. Smiley Smiley

My daughter was with me and asked me afterwards "how old are you?". Well, at that moment, I wasn't sure. Smiley

On a more serious note: Just imagine you paid 250k for a fully optioned Taycan Turbo S and then a soccer mom in her Tesla X Plaid pulls up next to you and destroys you from a stop light. I know this doesn't really matter and it may be juvenile but it is about the principle here, you get what you pay for...not...in the Taycan Turbo S. Smiley Smiley

I think Tesla is successful because they try new things, they know how to please people, how to give them something for their money. Look at the Tesla Model 3: I mean seriously, this car has no competitor in my opinion. Even the slowest and less powerful model is fast and drives pretty good. You can have all this for 400 EUR a month, incl. tax.. 

--

I would love to run into a certain Trackhawk at a stop sign. 🤓

At least we are around the same juvenile age. 50+

DJM48:

Darwinism at work

"no one in the driver's seat.."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-19/two-dead-tesla-driverless-crash-houston-exas/100078068

But we are often told here that the most perfect machines ever conceived by man are only driven by those of superior intellect and reason.  Ergo the tree brutally lashed out at these fair men. 

Leawood911:

Smiley Smiley

In the US, running into a Trackhawk at a stop light could be embarrassing. Most of the Trackhawks in the US are heavily modified, running on E85 and putting out 900-1000 hp or more. Careful. Some of these Trackhawks run the 1/4 under 10 seconds and are doing 0-60 mph in 2.4 to 2.6 seconds. Smiley

--

RC:
    Leawood911:

Smiley Smiley

In the US, running into a Trackhawk at a stop light could be embarrassing. Most of the Trackhawks in the US are heavily modified, running on E85 and putting out 900-1000 hp or more. Careful. Some of these Trackhawks run the 1/4 under 10 seconds and are doing 0-60 mph in 2.4 to 2.6 seconds. Smiley

--

I have seen all the videos. You can be certain of that. With your stock engine it could be closer than you think. It certainly would be a contrast to watch how they gather speed. If not side my side the Tesla would not attract any attention. This is exactly what I like. 

Definitely the tree’s fault. 

Whoopsy:

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/tesla-model-s-crash-autopilot-dead/

More weird stuff.

Sad. People are stupid.  My 2 cents you guys are dying to hear - autopilot was not on. Either they never had it on or maybe he accidentally turned it off when leaving the drivers seat.  If autopilot had been on it would have slowed down for the turn if it was too sharp and then completed it. Note that the article specifically omitted that autopilot as on.  As with all of these in certain there is a ton of data sent to Tesla at the time of the crash. If it fits the narrative we will hear more. Else I expect autopilot was not engaged.  Either way - leaving the drivers seat is not the cars fault any more than it is the trees fault. As long as you are not contemplating leaving a drivers seat we should be okay. 

Of course is partly the car's leawood, I know a Tesla can never ever ever ever do wrong but if a car has a level 2 touted as"autopilot" it should have a safety system that would not allow the driver to let go of the wheel or take the eyes off the road at any point, let alone leave the driver's seat altogether and keep going without immediately coming to a stop.

Such a system is very easily and economically implemented like a simple tamper proof driver facing camera that can keep track of drivers face and eyes linked to the autopilot, but Tesla still refuses to do it, as it's not good for the almost fsd image they want to give the system. That tree could have been an innocent family on another car in the opposite direction.

Regarding autopilot having to be off while "the driver was on the passegers seat" for it to crash, as if we havent seen the autopilot crash into big red firetrucks, divider walls, or leave the lane in curves...

You make good points. Just like with any tool people using it must adapt. In some cases new tools don’t work out and need to be made safer. The auto has had many safety improvements and it is also a fact that Tesla makes the safest cars available.  By a long shot. No argument there. Especially given their performance- I would have expected many high speed, racing type crashes. 

There are several things I don’t like about my Tesla like phantom braking or the way the door rattles when I close it with the window down. My wing, if you can call it that, is coming unglued after 20k miles.  Just ask. I can tell you what the real problems are with a Tesla and they are real issues not fake hyped stories meant to polarize. 

There is a camera in the cabin they could use to monitor the driver but I think it is a privacy issue and frankly if we trust everyone else in cars to pay attention perhaps we can do the same for Tesla.  Any sane person who spends any time owning or driving a Tesla would not go into the back seat or for that matter simply not pay attention.  I certainly would not. Can I speak for all others?  Do I want cars built to suit the average idiot?  Your argument could simply be extended to not ever allowing cars to exceed the speed limit. We have the tech to do this. We can even issue citations automatically if we wanted to.  So where do we draw the line?  Personally we don’t want a camera watching me drive.  I’m okay with knowing a few people died trying so it’s a bad idea to not pay attention.  This system of other people dying to get our attention generally works well.  It’s a Darwin thing and really hard to prevent. You would not want to live in a world where we cater to idiots exclusively. 

Regarding autopilot crashing into things - you will find that in almost all cases the system was off.  It is hard to describe how  or what types of errors it is prone to commit unless you have used the system for many months as I have.  And as you know from my observations I don’t trust it. So your notion that I don’t think the Tesla can do wrong is not accurate. I’m just also aware there are narratives out there which are not totally correct or innocent in terms of being misleading. 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/16/24 3:13 PM
    watt
    755838 1797
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431813 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258913 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    256022 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80017 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5266 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

869075 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    803242 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM