Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: [2021] Lucid Air (900v, 113 kWh, 1080HP, 517miles(832Km) range)

Lucid's equity performance post reverse merger with a SPAC is another example of the funkiness with this market.  However, for the reasons addressed above, Lucid Motors is a real company with an experienced team of automotive executives who have been through the drill before.  

Hochholdinger, while at Audi, opened Audi's Mexico plant in San José Chiapa in 2016 and it was nearly flawless.  The quality of the Q5s emerging out the plant were and are exceptional, especially considering that Audi not only opened a new manufacturing facility but also introduced a new product at the same time.  Often a new product launch in a new greenfield plant is difficult and plagued with issues.  

Lucid is, with high probability, a takeover target within the next three years.

CEO Peter Rawlinson takes an Arizona-built Lucid Air release candidate vehicle for a test drive through California’s Bay Area – the perfect proving ground for experiencing vehicle dynamics.

The swooping windshield with the sun visors stuck to it grabbed my attention the whole time, interesting bit of design. 

Looks like the steering wheel is missing the bottom. Explains why Tesla took off the top. These two will push and pull us consumers to a nice happy EV place. 
    I was surprised he liked it so much. Seems he had only good things to say.  It also appears to drive uphill. Nice. 
    Deliveries have been delayed. I wonder if they will arrive prior to the plaid plus. 
    Personally, the Audi GT is by far the best looking EV.  I’m curious if the Lucid will still have bi directional charging. That would make it stand apart nicely. 

Looks good. Looks very stiffly sprung. Also he talks about it being so small, but it looks wide.

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

This car looks very good, wayyyyy batter than the Tesla model S IMO, inside and out! For me the best looking luxury EV sedan till now... lets wait for the EQS, but the front seems there quite strange with the camo...

Shaich:

This car looks very good, wayyyyy batter than the Tesla model S IMO, inside and out! For me the best looking luxury EV sedan till now... lets wait for the EQS, but the front seems there quite strange with the camo...

The large displays in the EQS could be a huge problem in a couple of years, they could look very very outdated.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

Shaich:

Totally agree. It does look way better. Looks are not a Tesla calling card to put it mildly.

Looking good, but the Taycan that drove by looked so much better IMO.

I think the Tycan looks good, but it has a really big disavantage... RANGE. I think in this price range a car must do at least 550km... and the Tycan is running around 300km, wich is wayyy to low. Its a very cool city sports EV.

Shaich:

I think the Tycan looks good, but it has a really big disavantage... RANGE. I think in this price range a car must do at least 550km... and the Tycan is running around 300km, wich is wayyy to low. Its a very cool city sports EV.

400km

Factory number is ~300km but real world every owner is getting ~400km. Which is around the same range as a Tesla Model S.

e-Tron is the one doing 300-350km.

--

Whoopsy:
    Shaich:

400km

Factory number is ~300km but real world every owner is getting ~400km. Which is around the same range as a Tesla Model S.

Might be mixing up miles and km. Lol. 
    Range is highly dependent on how fast you go or accelerate. I learned I can granny my car and squeeze 10% mile than rated miles. 

In an article from Spiegel: https://www.spiegel.de/auto/fahrberichte/elektroauto-auf-der-langstrecke-so-lief-die-testfahrt-ueber-550-kilometer-mit-dem-porsche-taycan-a-9eeb9f39-14fb-4d0d-9f31-96f805b62a6a

The reporter claims his Taycan 4s predicted only 338 km. He needed 9h for 600 km from Munich to Zagreb due to slow charging.

--

AM

ALDO:

In an article from Spiegel: https://www.spiegel.de/auto/fahrberichte/elektroauto-auf-der-langstrecke-so-lief-die-testfahrt-ueber-550-kilometer-mit-dem-porsche-taycan-a-9eeb9f39-14fb-4d0d-9f31-96f805b62a6a

The reporter claims his Taycan 4s predicted only 338 km. He needed 9h for 600 km from Munich to Zagreb due to slow charging.

I think my 50cc scooter could have covered as much distance in 9 hours. 

ALDO:

This article proves again
    1) You need the ability to charge at home to make EVs hasslefree on a day-to-day basis
    2) Speed kills range in the EV world. The author mentioned that he drove his Taycan at 150-190km/h for the first stretch of the leg (which explains the poor range)
    3) The charging network is still sub-par in Europe (at least for non-Tesla owners)

You can't use an EV as you would an ICE. EVs are simply a poor choice if you want to cover long-distances at high speeds.

Leawood911:
    Whoopsy:
    Shaich:

400km

Range is highly dependent on how fast you go or accelerate. I learned I can granny my car and squeeze 10% mile than rated miles. 

Nope I didn't.

Model 3 goes a bit farther than Model S though. 

In the real world a Model S/X goes around 400km. In my son's school all the minivans have been replaced with Model Xs and we do chat while waiting after school. 

If I go on range mode in the Taycan or ECO? mode in the e-Tron I can squeeze more range out of it too, but what's the point? Only reason I engage Range mode in the Taycan is that speed is capped at 110km/hr, 10k/hr below impound speed on the highway to Whistler. 

--

ALDO:

He drove it the day before so the car wasn't at full charge. Also he was going quite fast with speed up to 190km/hr🤷🏻‍♂️

At elevated speed even normal cars go though their gas tank quite quickly. When I took my GT2RS from Leipzig to Amsterdam doing 300km/hr the gas tank was gone in no time too. 

And I have been saying for the longest time, the infrastructure is quite lacking for EV and needs major updates and upgrades for EV to be accepted by the general public as a viable alternative. 

--

Tim:
    ALDO:

This article proves again
    1) You need the ability to charge at home to make EVs hasslefree on a day-to-day basis

Exactly and you need more then 230V 16A at home.

2) Speed kills range in the EV world. The author mentioned that he drove his Taycan at 150-190km/h for the first stretch of the leg (which explains the poor range)

3) The charging network is still sub-par in Europe (at least for non-Tesla owners)

Only Tesla has a complete ecosystem like Apple with icloud the rest is far behind them.

You can't use an EV as you would an ICE. EVs are simply a poor choice if you want to cover long-distances at high speeds.

--

AM

Leawood911:
    Whoopsy:
    Shaich:

400km

No I have a friend who has got one and he never reached 400km on the Autobahn (max 330-350), and I am not talking driving like a maniac. You can maybe reach 400km in the city, but the range is important for the Autobahn, as in the city you can always charge over night. Still I think that cars in that price range should easily reach 550km range on the Autobahn with decent driving. 

ALDO:

This is exactly what my friend also told me.... he also got the 4s. SmileySmiley

Electric infrastructure:
    I live in the middle of Munich and have rented an underground parking space from a municipal company

Municipal electric power supplier (Stadtwerke, don’t know how to translate) offers wallboxes (11kw) with flat-rate billed electricity for private users. They care that the power supply of the whole underground parking and the house above is fine. This also applies to rented parking spaces, they also handle the billing of electricity. They only need the allowance of the owner of the house

The city of Munich supports this offer with 40% of the costs, makes it even more attractive.

The municipal company where I rented the parking lot still does not allow the installation. Fire protection is the argument although other wallboxes are already installed in the garage. 

And our municipal goverment already says that it will be nearly impossible to reach Munich's CO2 reduction plans

Wtf? This is the German way.

One of my big customers (member of DAX stock index) urges us to reduce the CO2, this will be a selection criterion for the next pitches. Only possibility is to slowly change to hybrid or electric company cars

My wife is working for a different member of DAX stock index company. Right now she is ordering her new company car. They just changed the car allowance. Only hybrids or electric cars anymore …

So I think in the future cars with combustion engines will be a thing from the past

Whoopsy:
    Leawood911:
    Whoopsy:
    Shaich:

400km

Nope I didn't.

In the real world a Model S/X goes around 400km. In my son's school all the minivans have been replaced with Model Xs and we do chat while waiting after school. 

If I go on range mode in the Taycan or ECO? mode in the e-Tron I can squeeze more range out of it too, but what's the point? Only reason I engage Range mode in the Taycan is that speed is capped at 110km/hr, 10k/hr below impound speed on the highway to Whistler. 

This is strange. The model3 is rated max at around 345 miles and the S at 410 miles.  While I totally agree they will not make it that far I’m pretty certain the S will go a bunch farther than the 3. Of this I am certain. 

Itsme:

Electric infrastructure:
    I live in the middle of Munich and have rented an underground parking space from a municipal company

Municipal electric power supplier (Stadtwerke, don’t know how to translate) offers wallboxes (11kw) with flat-rate billed electricity for private users. They care that the power supply of the whole underground parking and the house above is fine. This also applies to rented parking spaces, they also handle the billing of electricity. They only need the allowance of the owner of the house

The city of Munich supports this offer with 40% of the costs, makes it even more attractive.

The municipal company where I rented the parking lot still does not allow the installation. Fire protection is the argument although other wallboxes are already installed in the garage. 

And our municipal goverment already says that it will be nearly impossible to reach Munich's CO2 reduction plans

One of my big customers (member of DAX stock index) urges us to reduce the CO2, this will be a selection criterion for the next pitches. Only possibility is to slowly change to hybrid or electric company cars

My wife is working for a different member of DAX stock index company. Right now she is ordering her new company car. They just changed the car allowance. Only hybrids or electric cars anymore …

So I think in the future cars with combustion engines will be a thing from the past

Yes charging at home is key. I recently installed the Tesla home charger which now charges me at 43 miles per hour. The plain old 50 amp plug only did around 28 miles per hour.   Either rate was enough to recharge a days use over night.  I would guess this is where I charge 98% or the time.  This is also good for the battery as superchargers tend to add more wear to the batteries. So I have heard. 
    No plans to sell the Turbo anytime soon thanks to work picking up again. 

Itsme:

Electric infrastructure:

Business cars will be electric cars in the future here in Germany, at least a big part of them. This is a reality we need to face. Not sure however this will apply to private cars (yet), especially after Euro 7 emissions certification has been eased (compromise).

My tax advisor was shocked when I showed him the Trackhawk. He expected me to get a Tesla or a Taycan. Smiley Could have saved a ton of money doing that (different taxation for EVs for businesses) but I just didn't want to. I am thinking about a Tesla S Plaid+ as my next business car though, maybe.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

Leawood911:
    Whoopsy:
    Leawood911:
    Whoopsy:
    Shaich:

400km

Nope I didn't.

This is strange. The model3 is rated max at around 345 miles and the S at 410 miles.  While I totally agree they will not make it that far I’m pretty certain the S will go a bunch farther than the 3. Of this I am certain. 

What's rated is not what you get in the real world. Especially with Tesla's rating, it's in fantasy land. Many have tested and Tesla always come up short of the EPA range. Not just testing but in the real world.My son's class has 30 students, among them there is 16 Tesla Model Xs 2 Model 3s and a Model S. 3 Taycans and a few normal cars. That's just in one grade in the school. And the school goes from Kindergarten to Grade 12. Minimum guess is that at least 100 Teslas do school runs at our school every day. Not a joke that I see more Teslas every day than just about anyone else. 

Day in and day out the range for the Model Xs are doing 330km-360km per tank. The Model S is at around 360-380km. The 2 Model 3s gets 380ish and touching 400km. The Teslas aren't even driven by maniacs, it's soccer moms. When I show up last year with the Taycan they start asking how far does it go. ~400km is the answer. Sort of splitting hair on range as  they are all just about equal for city usage. Btw most of the Xs are of the 100 variety. 

I believe the Model S/Xs are government rated to go 24kWh/100km, your Model 3 is at 18kWh/100km. As a comparison my Taycan is averaging 22.2kWh/100km for the last 5000ish km.

IMG_6440.PNG

--

You do realize that the S came in many different battery sizes. And while I realize they don’t reach their rates range it would be strange for Tesla to rate the Model S at 400+ and the Model 3 at 345 or so.  Trust me, not that it matters, but the long range S has a lot more range than a long range model 3. Period. End of story.   You may be thinking of 70 kw model S. 

I have seen many comparison tests, Teslas always had way better range than European competitors,... For me personally cars that cost way above 100k € should have at least 550km of range... I am very curious to see what the S-Class can to with it 770km WLTP in real world, if one can manage on the Autobahn 550km with decent speed (130-160km/h) then I will be convinced, again the range in hte city is not really important as you always cna charge over night or in several 22kw chargers while parking... so the real issue with EV's is long distance driving. For myself 550km is a reasonable distance to cover on th Autobahn... But as it seems we are getting closer, and the plaid plus is also coming soon and I am sure that we will see some very good results (sure not as promissed but still good enoigh). The Tycan falls short in that area IMO.

Leawood911:
    Itsme:

Electric infrastructure:

Yes charging at home is key. I recently installed the Tesla home charger which now charges me at 43 miles per hour. The plain old 50 amp plug only did around 28 miles per hour.   Either rate was enough to recharge a days use over night.  I would guess this is where I charge 98% or the time.  This is also good for the battery as superchargers tend to add more wear to the batteries. So I have heard. 
    No plans to sell the Turbo anytime soon thanks to work picking up again. 

Pleased to hear this Leawood - hope all continues to improve in the US  Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM