Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Tesla

Model S Plaid out in the wilderness.  https://insideevs.com/news/497586/tesla-model-s-sightings-plaid-badge-yoke/  and equipped with the yoke.  

Design looks very very outdated.

Carlos from Spain:

Design looks very very outdated.

I agree but to an extent I think it is part of the philosophy. They focus on making existing owners happy and not selling constant updates. If you buy one you stay updated. When the new one comes out you don’t feel like you are driving an old car. Arguably a different approach from traditional automakers who build in obsolescence. 

If I am an existing owner, I'd be pissed if that guy just bought a car that looks exactly like mine has much better equipment inside.

Where is my e-motor upgrade? battery upgrade?

--

Wow the brand new S looks so fresh and innovative!

Whoopsy:

If I am an existing owner, I'd be pissed if that guy just bought a car that looks exactly like mine has much better equipment inside.

Where is my e-motor upgrade? battery upgrade?

I don’t think this is a reasonable expectation. Perhaps a new owner would be displeased that his new car looks just like his neighbors 10 year old car. That I see you worried about. 
    Back to your point - the driver of the old car is getting all the software updates and performance in some cases improved with these as well. To seriously think a new battery or motor or horizontal screen should be given away to existing owners?  Nah. I bet they are pleased enough to not require any oil changes or other nasty ice maintenance.  Not to mention resale value if they bought in the last three years remains strong but the new S will ding it. 

What's the point of giving a person running a 486 the newest Windows 10 for free and boast about look you get so much more function over your Windows 95. He is much better off getting a new Core i7 with Windows 10.

--

Whoopsy:

What's the point of giving a person running a 486 the newest Windows 10 for free and boast about look you get so much more function over your Windows 95. He is much better off getting a new Core i7 with Windows 10.

Wow. Off the deep end with the analogy.  I guess I am always running older processors with new software and don’t care so much. 
    Anyway it does not make a good argument for stopping over the air updates. Find me one customer from any brand who does not want them. You seem to think they don’t want free updates to their cars. Funny. 
    All I can say is they do the opposite of other car makers by keeping their customers happy this way. I prefer this approach. Time will tell if it this way impacts other makers or the customers choices. My guess is this is a better method to attract customers and provide value.  Not so good at fleecing customer though some insist to be fleeced. 
    Your love of constantly updated cars and interiors does not age well. At all. A 10 year old Mercedes S class is worth 10% of its new price thanks to constant updates and zero attention paid to resale values or longevity of style or mechanical components. 

*peek into my garage and look at my 26 year old turbo 3.6*

No over the air updates no nothing.

No one said OTA updates are bad. They are mostly bug fixes anyways and functions added are only because they ran out of time to do those before deadline to ship. So ship first and get the money in then send the functions out later. It is what it is.

I ran a software house before too, it's exactly how we do things. I was saying the exact same things Elon says to my clients 20 something years ago. I promised the moon but I gave then a moon cake instead, but keep sending out little moon cake freebies regularly to keep them happy and come back again for another round of fleecing. 

--

Whoopsy:

*peek into my garage and look at my 26 year old turbo 3.6*

No over the air updates no nothing.

No one said OTA updates are bad. They are mostly bug fixes anyways and functions added are only because they ran out of time to do those before deadline to ship. So ship first and get the money in then send the functions out later. It is what it is.

I ran a software house before too, it's exactly how we do things. I was saying the exact same things Elon says to my clients 20 something years ago. I promised the moon but I gave then a moon cake instead, but keep sending out little moon cake freebies regularly to keep them happy and come back again for another round of fleecing. 

Elon really gets under your skin. Lol. Sorry to hear you made promises you could not deliver on, that is how you do things not everyone. I doubt Elon talks out of his ass and makes promises he plan to not keep. 
    I would say 75% of the updates are brand new features and functions I had no idea I would get when I bought the car. I can make a list if you like. They just keep coming for free. He has delivered tons more than he ever promised which is why owners give him lots of room to promise.  It has served him well. Tesla is doing well. Owners love the cars almost universally and there is no other car I would let drive me down the open highway or is as capable.  
    So very little of what you say above applies to the real world in this case. 

Every Tesla owner I know worth having a beer with, wouldn't buy another Tesla. 

--

991.2 C2S Cab, X3 Black\Black - 2 kids, 1 dog

bridggar:

Every Tesla owner I know worth having a beer with, wouldn't buy another Tesla. 

Fair enough. I can’t imagine buying anything else 

Leawood911: 

I doubt Elon talks out of his ass and makes promises he plan to not keep. 

WFT? ROTFLOL!  ​​​​​​SmileySmileySmileySmileySmileySmileySmileySmileySmileySmileySmileySmileySmileySmileySmileySmiley

Carlos from Spain:
    Leawood911: 

WFT? ROTFLOL!  ​​​​​​SmileySmileySmileySmileySmileySmileySmileySmileySmileySmileySmileySmileySmileySmileySmileySmiley

Why, you unwashed peasant, you're mocking the Techno King. 

Meanwhile, a Tesla Model X on Autopilot had problems while sitting at a traffic light in Ho Chi Min City.   Looks like the amount of traffic completely perplexed the car.  https://insideevs.com/news/498137/autopilot-defeated-congested-streets-vietnam/ 

Carlos from Spain:
    Leawood911: 

In comparison to what whoopsy was describing which seemed intentional and the way to do business. If you want to argue he has not delivered in light of Tesla and spaceX you are welcome to.  Personally I consider him A bit of an overachiever and yet people love to hate him. To each his own. 
    Has he delivered everything?  No. More than anyone else - by a large margin.  

CGX car nut:
    Carlos from Spain:
    Leawood911: 

Why, you unwashed peasant, you're mocking the Techno King. 

Meanwhile, a Tesla Model X on Autopilot had problems while sitting at a traffic light in Ho Chi Min City.   Looks like the amount of traffic completely perplexed the car.  https://insideevs.com/news/498137/autopilot-defeated-congested-streets-vietnam/ 

You should have seen it try that a year ago or two years ago. It will improve over time and likely the car and hardware will remain the same.  I’m amused by people who think that progress does not involve trial and error and mock what they could never even get close to achieving. On the other hand I appreciate effort and hard work. 

Leawood911:
    Carlos from Spain:
    Leawood911: 

In comparison to what whoopsy was describing which seemed intentional and the way to do business. If you want to argue he has not delivered in light of Tesla and spaceX you are welcome to.  Personally I consider him A bit of an overachiever and yet people love to hate him. To each his own. 

Regarding Tesla and Musk you are in compete denial, no wonder they call them a cult, EVERYBODY knew FSD was never going to be ready by 2018 yet that is what he said and even took deposits for, and kept promising every year it was coming, latest promise was early 2021, but it's still just a level 2 that again, everybody knows it's a long way from FSD. What about the autonomous fleet of robotaxis for last year?Smiley If you think he believed that when he promised that then you must think he is an idiot. What about the Roadster? he was being honest with the 2020 delivery? again either he is clueless about his company or he lied, while happily taking deposits for it since 2017. What about the when he said deliveries of the Semi would be in 2019?

The list goes on an on, there are even sites dedicated to recollecting all the promises he makes and then breaks. He is the world's posterboy for CEOs that make false promises to the public, that is why it was so shockingly funny when you said you used Musk as someone who doesn't makes promises he intends not to keep, if you can't see that then you are further down the teslafan rabbit hole than I thought Smiley

Carlos from Spain:
    Leawood911:
    Carlos from Spain:
    Leawood911: 

Regarding Tesla and Musk you are in compete denial, no wonder they call them a cult, EVERYBODY knew FSD was never going to be ready by 2018 yet that is what he said and even took deposits for, and kept promising every year it was coming, latest promise was early 2021, but it's still just a level 2 that again, everybody knows it's a long way from FSD. What about the autonomous fleet of robotaxis for last year?Smiley If you think he believed that when he promised that then you must think he is an idiot. What about the Roadster? he was being honest with the 2020 delivery? again either he is clueless about his company or he lied, while happily taking deposits for it since 2017. What about the when he said deliveries of the Semi would be in 2019?

The list goes on an on, there are even sites dedicated to recollecting all the promises he makes and then breaks. He is the world's posterboy for CEOs that make false promises to the public, that is why it was so shockingly funny when you said you used Musk as someone who doesn't makes promises he intends not to keep, if you can't see that then you are further down the teslafan rabbit hole than I thought Smiley

He has definitely built a history on Rennteam of beclowning himself on all things related to Tesla. 

Elon and all his success really bothers you guys. Wow - you guys make such a strong argument that he is actually a fraud and failure.  And you believe it.  Your cult is more powerful than mine.  I accept that. My belief is just in a cheap practical car. 

Leawood911:

Elon and all his success really bothers you guys. Wow - you guys make such a strong argument that he is actually a fraud and failure.  And you believe it.  Your cult is more powerful than mine.  I accept that. My belief is just in a cheap practical car. 

Moving the goal post? nobody is saying he is a fraud and a failure, just that he has a well known habbit of making promises he knows he can't keep for personal gain, and keepss doing it over and over again year after year. Two very different things not mutually exclusive.

Enmanuel:

Not so quick. First dislike, remember? indecision

--

2016 Porsche 981 GT4 | Racing Yellow
    2018 Audi S6 Avant | Ibis White

In the flesh, it makes the previous model look outdated...

rhino:

I was expecting/wishing for more - and also that we would have deliveries and reviews by now. 

Carlos from Spain:
    Leawood911:

Moving the goal post? nobody is saying he is a fraud and a failure, just that he has a well known habbit of making promises he knows he can't keep for personal gain, and keepss doing it over and over again year after year. Two very different things not mutually exclusive.

Of course I moved them. 
    I hope you guys all know and understand by now that this thread is like a verbal PRO wrestling match. A fun game way to blow off steam and enjoy male one ups man ship. (Is s that a word?)  much needed these days - and I appreciate you guys for always keeping it going. 
    Do I post annoying stuff on purpose to pull your chains and extend the controversy?  Don’t we all?  
    Just wanted to say thanks - seriously - and take most of what I say with a grain of salt. 
    Back to the fun. I don’t want to spoil it with a love fest. 
    happy Good Friday everyone! 

rhino:

Musk’s understanding and emulation within the auto industry begins and ends with Henry Ford and the Model T.  

bluelines:
    Enmanuel:

My sarcasm didn't come through?

Enmanuel:
    bluelines:
    Enmanuel:

My sarcasm didn't come through?

I got it - it’s an American thing 

New Tesla Model S without camouflage looks better than expected...  C7BEAB03-A272-4B0C-AF73-D01AEAA5AA36.gif

4D7F60BC-66AB-4D26-BFEA-3DB838CA8822.jpeg

https://fordauthority.com/2021/04/ford-mustang-mach-e-owner-receives-death-threats-from-tesla-owners-online-video/

No other car brand owners would act like this, ever.

Not in the Ford vs Ferrari days, not with the Porsche vs Ferrari debates, and certainly not with Ford vs Chevy people.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688463 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408667 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255505 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234753 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65374 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4634 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857542 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773300 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM