Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

2016 British F1 Grand Prix at Silverstone

Silverstone next

--

997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

Re: 2016 British F1 Grand Prix at Silverstone

Hopefully it's as much fun as Austria !

--

2013 BMW 750 xDrive & 2014 x5 & 2014 991 TTS Cab 2014 BMW i3 2017 Porsche Mission E & 991.2 GT3 on order

Hamilton typically does well at Silverstone, so I'll pick him to win this race.

Hopefully it's going to rain so we'll see lots of action and drivers like LH, SV, FA, both RB drivers an NH "rise'n shine" whilst others like NR, FM, JB to perform poorly...

JB is good in the wet, its their only hope..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

Much as I would love to see Jenson Button win at Silverstone, I think it will take a major miracle for that to happen. 

apias:

Much as I would love to see Jenson Button win at Silverstone, I think it will take a major miracle for that to happen. 

It would be a miracle. Both in the points would be a good result.

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

For any of you clinging to last weekends stewards ruling for vindication of Hamilton and condemnation of Rosberg, I just want to point out the absurdity and inconsistency of stewards rulings on exceeding track limits in qualifying this weekend.

• Q1, Magnussen time deleted for exceeding track limits.
    • Q1, Magnussen exceeds track limits again, but time counts
    • Q2, Stewards take almost all of Q2 to decide if Magnussen or Button is out and eventually Magnussen barely has time to put a lap in, while Jenson Button is left waiting in his car the entire session to find out if he is in or not.
    • Q2, Verstappen exceeds track limits but his time counts.
    • Q2, Raikkonen exceeds track limits but his time counts.
    • Q3, Hamilton exceeds track limits by less than Raikkonen or Verstappen and his time is deleted.
    • Q3, Hamilton exceeds track limits again but his time is counted for P1.
    • Alonso apparently also had a time deleted, but it wasn't shown on the broadcast I saw.

And, before you buy into Nigel Mansell's explanation that the track limits were only to be enforced on certain turns (seriously!?), the time deleted for Magnussen was for going 4-off on a corner other than the ones that were supposed to count.

This is just completely ridiculous, and the application of regulations via the stewards system is completely arbitrary and capricious, particularly this weekend with the exceeding track limits regulation. Either they enforce it equally for everyone or don't enforce it at all. What a joke this made of qualifying.

Despite all this, an excellent performance by Hamilton and I still predict him to win tomorrow, unless he has some disaster at the start.

Besides all this "exceeding track limits" nonsense, a very good qualifying result for Red Bull. Vettel isn't really looking that much smarter than Alonso for going to Ferrari, at least in terms of championship chances.

I was thinking specifically about Kimi's exceeding track limits in Q2. It seems to me he did not do it intentionally, but as a result of almost losing the car on the previous corner. So is there is a difference going beyond the track limits intentionally to get a better time, with the car under control, versus doing so "accidentally" while trying to recover control of the car?

Yeah, Ferrari has been disappointing this season. I had high expectations for Vettel. It would have been interesting to see what he could have done against Hamilton, if he were in Rosberg's seat. 

And this whole business of losing qualifying positions for replacing parts damaged in an accident is poorly thought through. I understand the reasoning of penalizing teams with too much money, who can afford to swap parts more often than less fortunate ones. They should have had an exception for accidental damage. I don't think any team would order a driver to crash his car because the transmission is acting up and they would prefer to replace it. 

Totally agree on the grid-spot penalties for accidentally damaged components, it's completely out of hand and having way too much impact on race results, without really serving a useful purpose as applied, which goes against the point of the regulation. Hamilton will likely suffer at least a few weekends later in the season with grid-spot penalties, which may affect the championship results.

Regarding the track limits, I don't have a problem with them being stringently enforced, but only if it's done consistently. Either the track has limits that can't be exceeded or it doesn't. It can't be subjectively enforced. If they are going to enforce it at all, it should be enforced by video footage like a photo finish, either all 4 tires are off or they aren't, case closed. Either both of Hamilton's (and Magnussen's) laps should have counted or neither of them. And, they shouldn't have even started Q2 if there was still a question of whether Magnussen or Button was in, because, either way, the driver in is heavily, and utterly unfairly, penalized by being left with time for only 1 hot lap.

(However, I would much rather see them enforce it this way than like in Austria with the dangerous curbing, which could even cause problems when drivers were only 2-off.)

Formula 1 really needs to get its act together. Stuff like this undermines the integrity of the sport.

F1 sucks, to much stewards  i hate it!!!

i want the 90 formula 1 back

--

993 c2

Agree F1 rule makers are F1s worst enemy... And the radio restrictions... Force India knew about pending brake failure and we're not able to warn the driver is absurd and unsafe!  Imagine if Perez was hurt in the crash!

thuggy:

Agree F1 rule makers are F1s worst enemy... And the radio restrictions... Force India knew about pending brake failure and we're not able to warn the driver is absurd and unsafe!  Imagine if Perez was hurt in the crash!

Yeah, that was totally crazy. There has to be at least a safety exemption for situations like that. Just letting the driver crash in a situation where it could be prevented is not acceptable.

The obvious is very clear in today's race, Rosberg is only a fair weather driver, his car control skills is not even as good as Max, as witnessed at the start of the race, Rosberg was struggling and then being passed by Max in the wet. In those laps it's all about drivers' skills. Once it's dried up the superior Mercedes took over and Rosberg finally get drive past Max.

It was very entertaining to watch them race in the wet, so much action going on, all the cars are pretty much equalized and down to pure driver's skills. Seeing them losing it then catch it time after time at 200+km/hr is quite something. 

--

+1, thats the second race that showed the difference in driving skills in the wet. 

Mad Max is the driver that can match LH in a equal car, maybe even a touch quicker. That day will come form sure...

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

I think if Verstappen were Hamilton's teammate at Mercedes, Hamilton wouldn't be within 4 points of the Championship lead. First Ricciardo made Vettel look bad, now he's on the other side of things with Verstappen. A pretty good day for Red Bull. And, yeah, Rosberg does not like the wet, at all.

Still no announcement regarding the stewards' investigation of Mercedes/Rosberg? (I haven't been able to find anything.)

I have mixed feelings about the start under safety car today. I can understand starting behind the safety car at Monaco, given the nature of the circuit, but, I'm not so sure about doing this at Silverstone. While, no one wants to see a big pileup at turn 1, is F1 getting a little bit too NASCAR with this? (Well, ok, they don't run at all if someone happens to spit on the track, but...) Admittedly, the track was pretty wet, and I think they're more than a bit skittish about wet conditions after what happened to Bianchi at Suzuka, but, is this a step too far? (And, frankly, the safety car seemed more than a bit over its head out there.) But, would it be better to have them run several formation laps (subtracted from the race laps), without the safety car, on the wets to pump some water off the track and then have a proper start? On the other hand, like everyone else, I don't want to see drivers getting hurt because of the conditions.

apias:

Still no announcement regarding the stewards' investigation of Mercedes/Rosberg? (I haven't been able to find anything.)

A 10 second penalty for Rosberg, dropping him to 3rd, and reducing his lead over Hamilton to 1 point. Reasonable, maybe even a little light, given the current regulation, but I'm not a fan of the radio ban as it is currently employed.

I do think it's improper for the teams to give advice on things like braking points, but I think for car failures, and potential failures, particularly for things like impending brake failures, teams should be allowed to communicate wit the drivers. I also think a situation like Hamilton had in Baku should allow team communication to get a settings issue worked out. These are not so much issues of the driver driving the car, but safety and systems issues. I also think the FIA has seriously overstepped the intent of the "alone and unaided" clause in the regulations.

However, this decision by the stewards now sets a precedent. I think in a situation like Perez had in Austria, given the fact that the first part of Mercedes radio communication, regarding the impending failure, was deemed of, teams should feel free to warn drivers of impending brake failures. They also have an idea of what sort of penalty applies, so strategists can apply their calculus to determine if the communication is worth the penalty. I think in Rosberg's case it clearly was worth it for Mercedes. Although, I'd still prefer to see this whole radio ban reworked.

@Whoopsy

+2 NR is best on shinny weather conditions and LH44 at the back of the field due to mechanical failures of his car

@apias

Lewis managed the race easily and was only reacting to MVs driving.

NR is nothing more than a 1b or 2a driver, hopefully Mercedes now takes that into their consideration and is only offering him a one year contract in order to get somebody else (and better) instead...kiss

I'm not really sure what comment of mine you are responding to. If you look above, you'll see that I picked Hamilton to win and that I concurred that Rosberg is not good in wet conditions.

@apias

I was referring to "I think if Verstappen were Hamilton's teammate at Mercedes, Hamilton wouldn't be within 4 points of the Championship lead..."!

yes

Oh, absolutely, Verstappen would drive circles around Hamilton if he were in a Mercedes.

apias:

Oh, absolutely, Verstappen would drive circles around Hamilton if he were in a Mercedes.

While Max is a better driver than Rosberg, he is not quite at Hamilton level yet. 

I think he is at least at Alonso, or even better, as Alonso is another fair weather driver. Given more experience, Max will be up there

--

Well, Alonso is a better driver than Hamilton, so if Verstappen is as good as Alonso, he's already better than Hamilton.

apias:

Well, Alonso is a better driver than Hamilton, so if Verstappen is as good as Alonso, he's already better than Hamilton.

Close in the dry, but miles behind Hamilton in the wet, that also means Hamilton is much more skilled at controlling a car. 

But then again, the top level drivers all are pretty close in the dry, it all comes down to how powerful the car is. 

Wet condition is what separate the big boys from the also ran.

Senna was amazing in the wet, Schumacher was also great, and now Hamilton proved it again he is part of that gifted top echelon. 

--

Uhm, Hamilton never had to do anything today to prove himself, particularly after the safety car start, and he won by a smaller margin than Mercedes is used to winning by, so I don't know what you are talking about. In Monaco, Red Bull gifted him the win and he actually only won by cutting the chicane. In Austria, he only won because of the stupid DRS gimmick, and being lucky after he turned into Rosberg. In Barcelona he made the stupidest move I've ever seen a driver make. And, what exactly did he prove in Baku after he ran off track and later wrecked his car in qualifying? So, again, how has Hamilton proven anything "now"?

apias:

Uhm, Hamilton never had to do anything today to prove himself, particularly after the safety car start, and he won by a smaller margin than Mercedes is used to winning by, so I don't know what you are talking about. In Monaco, Red Bull gifted him the win and he actually only won by cutting the chicane. In Austria, he only won because of the stupid DRS gimmick, and being lucky after he turned into Rosberg. In Barcelona he made the stupidest move I've ever seen a driver make. And, what exactly did he prove in Baku after he ran off track and later wrecked his car in qualifying? So, again, how has Hamilton proven anything "now"?

Hmm, are you blind? Or you just hate Hamilton cause he is black? Smiley

if you had followed Hamilton's career, you would have noticed his wet performance through the years, the whole world saw that and knows that too, except you.

All your comments on this forum combined to paint a picture of a nurtured suburban white kid that never had a real job and real feel of real life. Sort of like Obama, but he is black, wonder why you didn't hate him too.

There I did it, I dragged Obama into the F1 racing thread too. Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689613 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409256 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255761 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235002 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65525 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4649 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858011 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774066 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM