Crown

Board: McLaren Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: McLaren Elva

Whoopsy:
    Porker:

I don't get it at all, it looks like a bathtub at the best of times. The trend of these roadsters is ridiculous to begin with, but you'd make an exception if it looks and sounds like a Ferrari Monza. If it lacks those looks+sound, you're just left with nothing but the sour feeling you've paid 2 million more than the superior 765LT. angry

Last I check my bathtub doesn't do 0-60 in 3 seconds........................

how fast was it  ? Smiley

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

RC:
    Porker:

I don't get it at all, it looks like a bathtub at the best of times. The trend of these roadsters is ridiculous to begin with, but you'd make an exception if it looks and sounds like a Ferrari Monza. If it lacks those looks+sound, you're just left with nothing but the sour feeling you've paid 2 million more than the superior 765LT. angry

I guess it is more about owning something other people cannot get. Smiley

One of my driving buddies recently got the Rolex Daytona platinum with ice blue dial for over 100k EUR. He sold his whitegold blue dial Daytona for it, a beautiful watch. I asked him why he didn't keep the whitegold Daytona and he said "everyone wants the platinum with ice blue dial right now, so I got one...". He didn't say "I wanted it badly" or "I love this watch". Kept me thinking. Smiley

over 100k ? why ?

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

after years finally the hype has reached the platinum variants too.....

spudgun:
    RC:

One of my driving buddies recently got the Rolex Daytona platinum with ice blue dial for over 100k EUR. He sold his whitegold blue dial Daytona for it, a beautiful watch. I asked him why he didn't keep the whitegold Daytona and he said "everyone wants the platinum with ice blue dial right now, so I got one...". He didn't say "I wanted it badly" or "I love this watch". Kept me thinking. Smiley

The difference here is that not ‘everyone wants one’, McLaren had to reduce the numbers of cars made.👀

Maybe, maybe not but it definitely is an eyecatcher. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

intouch1:
    RC:
    Porker:

over 100k ? why ?

Because he could. 

intouch1:
    Whoopsy:
    Porker:

Think the water jet was doing 10km/hr.................Smiley

--

Enmanuel:
    intouch1:
    RC:
    Porker:

over 100k ? why ?

Because he could. 

obviously Smiley but its available for less....

--

Whoopsy:
    intouch1:
    Whoopsy:
    Porker:

Think the water jet was doing 10km/hr.................Smiley

Smiley

--

intouch1:
    RC:
    Porker:

over 100k ? why ?

Good question...market price? I don't know.

Btw: I saw this one live last weekend, I thought it looks like crap on pictures but it is gorgeous live. This is a guy I know who collects only Daytonas but surprisingly not vintage ones. He bought it for 42k EUR or so, not sure if this company (DIW) is known for this stuff, I only knew the Artisans de Geneve for Daytona mods.

cream_3d_1.png

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

McLaren (the company) sucks...see what just happened to Brooks, Dragtimes YouTuber and 765LT owner.

It seems that they even took him off their VIP list.

McLaren press department is so st.pid, the shitstorm from this will bite them in the ass bigtime.

I would never support a brand which treats their customers(!) this way, let alone a well known YouTuber who actually did a lot of good for them.

--

Indeed. heart

"You are not an automotive journalist", "You'  an owner with a Youtube channel"

Brooks explained to Robert what happened:

00:12​ McLaren is making a mess…

01:56​ What did Brookes do?!

04:02​ Owner’s are McLaren’s best sales team.

05:44​ The VP of McLaren Marketing and Communications...

06:52​ ‘You are an owner with a YouTube Channel’

07:00​ Good old boy waste of time.

08:50​ Don’t underestimate YouTube!

15:00​ Who are the real journalists?!

17:12​ 620R; a marketing joke!

21:45​ Final thoughts - hopes and dreams!

I don't know how much I'd want to be associated with a drag racing/0-60 scene if I was McLaren? Their products are not meant for that sort of use in the first place. I don't know what they did to that Brooks figure, but judging from his videos, it's not their target audience, no? 

--

1969 Mercedes-Benz 300SEL 6.3  / 2018 Mercedes-AMG E63 S / 2020 Ferrari 812SF

RC:

McLaren (the company) sucks...see what just happened to Brooks, Dragtimes YouTuber and 765LT owner.

It seems that they even took him off their VIP list.

McLaren press department is so st.pid, the shitstorm from this will bite the in the ass bigtime.

What exactly happened to this Brooks? Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Beyond McLaren asking him to take down a video of him testing the Elva?  Product launches are carefully choreographed affairs with controlled distribution lists.  McLaren, as owner of the test car, is legally able to control who has access to the car.  Once again, just like that unsavory “fashion” designer and Ferrari, this is another nothing. 

Porker:

I don't know how much I'd want to be associated with a drag racing/0-60 scene if I was McLaren? Their products are not meant for that sort of use in the first place. I don't know what they did to that Brooks figure, but judging from his videos, it's not their target audience, no? 

So what is their target audience? My doctor neighbor who ordered his second McLaren (720S Spider, after he had a 650S Spider) and doesn’t have a clue about the car (well, he knows the color and leather options pretty well) and can’t even drive it fast, drove it once “over 300” on the Autobahn and bragged about it and when he sold his 650S special edition for which he paid 600k EUR Smiley (this is what he told people we know), he didn’t even try other sports cars because a McLaren is the best sports car in the world and Ferrari is crap anyway and Porsche makes expensive Beetles for housewives...yadda yadda yaddda? Smiley

Brooks did McLaren a big favor, this is only about drag racing but showing how the car drives, sounds and how reliable it is. There was a reason he was on their VIP list. This whole situation could have been handled differently and in a more civilized manner but it didn’t happen.

--

SmileyCGX car nut:

Beyond McLaren asking him to take down a video of him testing the Elva?  Product launches are carefully choreographed affairs with controlled distribution lists.  McLaren, as owner of the test car, is legally able to control who has access to the car.  Once again, just like that unsavory “fashion” designer and Ferrari, this is another nothing. 

What about taking him off the VIP list? Why insult him? He is no car journalist but a YouTuber. Smiley YouTubers did more for McLaren than any magazine and car journalist I ever heard about. 

His dealer wanted to do a good customer and Youtuber a favor and McLaren could have handled this professionally after Brooks took that video down immediately (which he didn‘t have to btw. as far as I know US law but he is a nice guy and didn‘t want to cause more trouble for his dealer).

--

RC:
    SmileyCGX car nut:

What about taking him off the VIP list? Why insult him? He is no car journalist but a YouTuber. Smiley YouTubers did more for McLaren than any magazine and car journalist I ever heard about. 

His dealer wanted to do a good customer and Youtuber a favor and McLaren could have handled this professionally after Brooks took that video down immediately (which he didn‘t have to btw. as far as I know US law but he is a nice guy and didn‘t want to cause more trouble for his dealer).

--

Seems you have too much emotion locked into this argument versus what seems a market and branding decision by McLaren.  It is their car and they can determine who are the appropriate parties to advance the brand.  

I think RC looooves Brooks. cool

--

Porker:

I like him a lot, also because I know a lot about his charity involvement in the Miami area, including the Frost Museum of Science. He has a family but doesn't use it to get likes/clicks like for example DDE does. Overall he is one of my favorite YouTubers, even if I am not very interested in the dragstrip videos. Smiley

--

CGX car nut:

Seems you have too much emotion locked into this argument versus what seems a market and branding decision by McLaren.  It is their car and they can determine who are the appropriate parties to advance the brand.  

I am a customer. I can have whatever emotion locked into this as much as I want. I am king. I am the one who leaves my money with a brand, if they care or not. If Lamborghini or Porsche would do something liket this with me, I would take my pleasure in retaliating in every legal way possible and the internet is the perfect platform. Best part: I am an accredited journalist in Germany, so it would be very difficult for them to f.ck me because my press card gives me certain rights, including some journalistic "freedom" to express my opinion.

I know that Brooks is probably too well educated to do that but me on the other hand, I am an ass when it comes to companies I spend my money with. They take my money, they accept certain rights I have. Including the right to dislike their product(s) and their behaviour towards a customer.

--

RC:
    Porker:

I like him a lot, also because I know a lot about his charity involvement in the Miami area, including the Frost Museum of Science. He has a family but doesn't use it to get likes/clicks like for example DDE does. Overall he is one of my favorite YouTubers, even if I am not very interested in the dragstrip videos. Smiley

I'm joking...

I don't get the drag racing scene at all tbh, guess it's an American thing. Smiley

--

Porker:
    RC:
    Porker:

I'm joking...

I don't get the drag racing scene at all tbh, guess it's an American thing. Smiley

I know how you meant it. Smiley

I do not get the drag "racing" scene either but I like that people meet, nice Florida weather (Brooks), talk about cars, enjoy a fun afternoon or evening. What is not to like? Smiley Yes, this is an American thing but we have drag races here in Germany as well, I still don't get them. Smiley

I am member in a German Trackhawk Facebook group and one of the guys just posted his 100-200 kph time from his freshly tuned Trackhawk...6.3 seconds. Smiley We are talking about a 2.5 ton SUV here. I would never do this, even if the Autobahn performance would be fun but people seem to enjoy this stuff, so why not?! 

Even in track mode, the Trackhawk is not really fun on curvy roads, the weight and ride height are just too much to enjoy. I had much more fun in the GLC 63S AMG or Cayenne GTS on curvy country roads, why should I lie but on the Autobahn, the Trackhawk is a monster. Smiley

--

Porker:

I don't get anything from it either, though it seems important in US and Middle East markets, at minimum.  I have the feeling that some people won't buy the new GT3 because they will be disappointed with the 0-60 or 1/4 mile compared to tuned Carrera S.  Of course those people had no business buying a GT3 in the first place, but it happens...

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

There is the Turbo S available for them, they can drag race all day long 

Grant:
    Porker:

I don't get anything from it either, though it seems important in US and Middle East markets, at minimum.  I have the feeling that some people won't buy the new GT3 because they will be disappointed with the 0-60 or 1/4 mile compared to tuned Carrera S.  Of course those people had no business buying a GT3 in the first place, but it happens...

Here is the truth: The common drag racing (not talking about the professional one) is usually simple. You just need the proper vehicle with the proper tires and the proper experience and reaction time. 

When you live in Florida, a state without canyons and deserts, it is difficult to find a place where you can have real fun in a sports car, at least I think so (I could be wrong). Yes, there are tracks but let's be real here, it is much safer for most people to visit the local drag strip and there are tons of them and it is probably much cheaper as well.

Then, there is driving skill: Drag strip? Not difficult if you have the experience and reaction time. Track? Different story, very different story.

Before I bore you: We had a guy in our "old" driving group many many years ago who was a fantastic drifter. I mean he was amazing (even on public roads Smiley), the "star" of our group, he was a good driver. Then, one day, we drove to a track. Complete failure for him, he was always the slowest, even damaged his rims in the process. He still did some impressive drifts but this didn't make him fast and one drift at over 140 or even 160 kph put him into the gravel bed (where he damaged his rims).

We also drove some small roads in Italy where he also had issues, he was used to have more room to do his driving magic but suddenly, he needed driving precision, not drift precision. He left the group after a while, not even sure what he is doing or driving right now but sometimes, the simpler things (drag strip) are more enjoyable for people for various reasons.

Believe it or not, I have never been to a drag strip with my car but I do not have the desire either. If I had a tuned 911 Turbo S or maybe even a tuned Trackhawk...maybe...but with a stock car? Whats the point? Smiley

Maybe drag strips have been social meeting points in the past, so this is what people are looking for as well, just a good time and talking to fellow car enthusiasts, I don't know. Smiley For us Europeans this is really difficult to understand.

--

Drag racing came about when people start comparing who is faster on stop lights, as it happens the density of stops lights are like 1/4 miles apart in the US back then. And that culture remains. 

--

Whoopsy:

Drag racing came about when people start comparing who is faster on stop lights, as it happens the density of stops lights are like 1/4 miles apart in the US back then. And that culture remains. 

I have watched many F1 races and would not hesitate for a second to have a go. And I think I would do well. Lol. 
    On the other hand , and I’m not joking, I have been to top fuel events where they hit 300+ mph in under four seconds. There is not enough money in the world to make me give it a try. Terrifying. 
    Of course racing street cars in a 1/4 mile is not like that but if you get a chance to see the real thing OMG is it intense. Nothing like it in terms of sheer power and violence.  Pretty certain this is where I lost a good deal of hearing in my right ear. 

A surprise at the end. I would take that one indecision

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    753020 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430675 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258580 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255450 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79499 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868277 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801825 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM