Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

basic 987 Non-S vs basic 987 S- is the "S" worth $8K more?

I'm in the process of ordering a new 987- however, I'm not sure if the S is worth $8K (US) more than the non-S. I would only get a basic version of either car- metallic paint, heated seats, and the 18" wheels (for the non-S) and that's it- so the non-S is $47K vs $55K for the S. For those of you who've driven both (or even to consider the difference between the 986 S and non-S), do you think it's worth the $8K? I intend on keeping this car long term as a secondary vehicle and would drive it about 5000 miles/yr, if that makes any difference- THANKS! (BTW, DrPhil, I decided against the '03 S after driving the 987

Re: basic 987 Non-S vs basic 987 S- is the "S" worth $8K more?

Hehe...I think Id probably do the same when I try the new 987.
    Having said that, I think Id rather have a loaded 986 S than a scraped 987.

You new choice is too simple IMO.
    I said no to picking the standard 987 over the 986S...so its even easier to choose now.
    Go for the S. No doubt in my mind whatsoever.
    If youre in it for the fun and sport get the S.

You're right about a new 04 986S vs the 05 base- some porsche dealers are taking off $10K on their new well-equipped '04 986S's which puts them at about $47, the cost a very basic 987 non-S, which also begs that question too- a new 986S vs a base 987?

But even if the question was posed to you- is the 986S worth $8K more than a 986 non-S- how you would answer?

Quote:
    lemansbluem5 said:
    But even if the question was posed to you- is the 986S worth $8K more than a 986 non-S- how you would answer?

Yes. We have insane taxes on cars in Denmark, but I would never have picked a non-S. Simple as that. The 2,7 litre engine is nice, but no match for the 3.2 IMO.
    If I understand correctly, your choice is now between a 987 standard and a 987 S, right?
    If so, go for the 987 S, and pay the extra 8K.
    Ask yourself this; when the deal is done and you have the car in the garage, will you be focussing on the 8000 $ you saved or on the fact that you could have had the "real" deal?
    It's not my choice to make...but if you want fun, go all the way.

You're right, it's more psychological than a true financial issue, because $8000 financed over 5 years = $160/month, which doesn't make a significant difference. I guess part of the problem is that this is a secondary car, and also the 987S crosses that important psychological $50K barrier, and will cost >2x as much as my every day car. That's what makes the 987S more difficult to swallow-

I drove both last week. I actually only approached the Porsche dealer with the thought of checking out a base 987, as price wise it would be a straight swap for my Elise. I thought the base 987 felt like a very nice car, and the feedback and balance impressed me, but I want a car that's totally thrilling, and coming from an Elise (via TVRs), the base 987 felt capable and fun, but just not special enough to make the switch.

So the next day I went back and checked out the 987S. It totally hit the mark. It feels more powerful than the base, as one would expect, but the differences run deeper than just the power increase. Not to overlook the fact that it feels quick - hit the pedal and bang, you're off, whatever speed, whatever gear. I floored it at one point and let the revs climb high and my head was pushed back into my seat, making me a feel a little car sick. That's my personal test of whether a car is quick enough for me.

On top of that though, the 6-spd and whatever they did to the gear ratios makes the car just 'right' - everything gels together so fluidly. I've had much faster cars, cars with more torque, cars that handle sharper and pull more g's, but the overall package of the 987S is such a fantastic blend of all those attributes, wrapped up in an incredibly comfortable, safe and lovely sounding package, that it's hard for me to ignore this car. I feel like whether I'm drifting through corners , blasting down a wide open piece of highway at naughty speeds or sitting in traffic in the rain at night, this car will be perfect for the job. In a way I guess that means it's the perfect compromise, although none of it really *seems* like a compromise (presuming of course you are in the market for a 2-seater convertible ).

The funny thing is, I used to HATE Boxsters - never drove one, just hated the looks and what they "stood" for (whatever I thought that was). The humbling part is I've now got to go back and tell all my friends what car I'm getting next...

Quote:
    lemansbluem5 said:
    You're right, it's more psychological than a true financial issue, because $8000 financed over 5 years = $160/month, which doesn't make a significant difference. I guess part of the problem is that this is a secondary car, and also the 987S crosses that important psychological $50K barrier, and will cost >2x as much as my every day car. That's what makes the 987S more difficult to swallow-

My 987 s is MY second car as well. My normal work car is a Ford Focus Diesel and my wife drives a Kia Picanto. The extra kit I put on my Boxster was $5000 MORE than the Kia cost and the car cost THREE times more than the Focus! . I agree it is psychological - I agonised for ages over whether or not to spend all that money on a "fun" car and still worry about it now sometimes - and the car is only 3 weeks away! But what's the point of working hard until you can afford these things only not to do it? You only come this way once, right? Do yourself a favour - go for it

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    ...But what's the point of working hard until you can afford these things only not to do it? You only come this way once, right? Do yourself a favour - go for it

Amen to that, brother

Quote:
    girlracer said:
    The humbling part is I've now got to go back and tell all my friends what car I'm getting next...

Not so much humbled, but been through the 'friends derision' part so many times

Rover Coupe "It's an old man's car"
    MX5 (Miata) "It's a hairdressers car"
    Boxster "It's not a proper Porsche"
    BMW Mini "It's not a real Mini"
    Astra Mk2 "What a piece of s**t" - OK, they were right on that one!

Loved them all though - hey if we all liked the same thing wouldn't life be boring...

Don't agree about the description of the MX-5 its not a hairdressers car - its a hairdresser's receptionist's car You had an MX-5? Is your sexual orientation OK?

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Don't agree about the description of the MX-5 its not a hairdressers car - its a hairdresser's receptionist's car You had an MX-5? Is your sexual orientation OK?

Now, be nice - I could have described the Rover as "Dreamcar's car"!!

Actually the MX5 is fantastic, just needed a little more poke. And could teach the manufacturer of every other covertible I've driven a thing or two about keeping drafts out of the cabin at speed.

Quote:
    Rich C (UK) said:

Now, be nice - I could have described the Rover as "Dreamcar's car"!!
    Actually the MX5 is fantastic, just needed a little more poke. And could teach the manufacturer of every other covertible I've driven a thing or two about keeping drafts out of the cabin at speed.

You'l be old one day, sonny. I will just have to get a pork-pie cap, a pipe and a Morgan, I suppose. A guy here at work has an MX-5, yes it is a fun car. The driver is quite a big bloke and he looks like Noddy in it.

Quote:
    Rich C (UK) said:

RichC, I can see nothing incorrect in that statement

Quote:
    ISUK said:
    Quote:
    Rich C (UK) said:

RichC, I can see nothing incorrect in that statement

Right, that's enough! Wait there whilst I go and get my handbag out of the the MX5...

Don't forget to pick up your lippy and compact mirror from the Mini convertible whilst you're at it

On my last Boxster I saved the money and didn't get the "S". Did I think about the money I saved every time I drove it? No, I regretted not getting the "S" every day, especially since I could have afforded it. My 05 987S is being built as we speak and I could care less about the extra money. I've learned to get what you want the first time and you'll be happier for it.

Quote:
    jamesf9217 said:
    On my last Boxster I saved the money and didn't get the "S". Did I think about the money I saved every time I drove it? No, I regretted not getting the "S" every day, especially since I could have afforded it. My 05 987S is being built as we speak and I could care less about the extra money. I've learned to get what you want the first time and you'll be happier for it.

That's exactly why I've spent too much money on "extras" on my "S". I'd hate to spened time with the car regretting that I hadn't ordered something.

Go for the S

I currently own a 2000 (nonS) and I am trading it in for a 987S. I was at the same decision (986 or 986S) 5 Years ago and went for the "cheaper" one. I did regret it!

My other cars is a Smart Fortwo (just to drive around town - works great here in Munic). The 987S will be 9times the cost of this one.
    My girlfriend has a Golf Cabriolet TDI (yes, convertible with diesel engine).

just my 2 cents

ThomasK

"That's exactly why I've spent too much money on "extras" on my "S". I'd hate to spened time with the car regretting that I hadn't ordered something. "

Kinda like when you get a girlfriend.
    Which reminds me to next time order one with the suck-o-matic, flattop, beerfetching, boob-a-licious options and a serious blond paintjob. Sure, they'll run you a little extra, but unlike the wife-model with standard nag-o-matic computer, you get pink interior, a firm suspension and hardly any off days

Quote:
    DrPhil said:
    "That's exactly why I've spent too much money on "extras" on my "S". I'd hate to spened time with the car regretting that I hadn't ordered something. "

Kinda like when you get a girlfriend.
    Which reminds me to next time order one with the suck-o-matic, flattop, beerfetching, boob-a-licious options and a serious blond paintjob. Sure, they'll run you a little extra, but unlike the wife-model with standard nag-o-matic computer, you get pink interior, a firm suspension and hardly any off days

More expensive than a Porsche and more trouble than a TVR. If one lady isn't enough, two is too many.

Re: basic 987 Non-S vs basic 987 S- is the "S" worth $8K mor

Dr Phil,

When spec'ing your girlfriend the secret is to go out for a test drive then revise your wish list, find a more suitable model then repeat the process constantly. That way you can keep up with important changes and always have the "facelift" model.

Quote:
    ISUK said:
    Dr Phil,

When spec'ing your girlfriend the secret is to go out for a test drive then revise your wish list, find a more suitable model then repeat the process constantly. That way you can keep up with important changes and always have the "facelift" model.

I used to love taking demo models for a spin and putting the pedal to the metal, but found out that some of the test models had been driven by so many different drivers, and in such a rough manner, that they were much too worn for their milage. Usual problems count saggy leather, stretchmarked paint, worn rubber and overall scruffy looks.
    And I do like the smell of fresh...car.
    On the other hand, they have already been broken in and are ready to take some high revs.
    Hmm..tough decision.

Ok, but do all of your girlfriends/spouses/boyfriends think that you "guys" all have gone off the deep end by getting a secondary car, one that you'll only drive consistently a few months of the year, for this much money? It's not exactly a matter of affording it, as we can all afford more than we actually obtain, but I just have a hard time telling myself that I couldn't use that $50K on something else (ie a nicer 10 year anniversary present for the wife, let's say)

fang

OK, lemansblueM5:
    I have a simple philosophy of life-a yard stick if you will- that I apply in cases like this.
    I simply ask myself: "When I'm 80, sitting in my rocking chair (trying to cop a feel on some poor nurses a55) will I regret not having tried the great things life HAD to offer? Will I regret not going for it when I had the money and the ability to actually 100% enjoy a great car like the Boxster?"

Peugeot once ran an ad for the 205GTI saying "If you want something sensible - get an anorak", and I believe that is the same case here.
    There is no reasonable, rational or logical argument in this world that will justify spending more money on a car than you have to pay for a Kia Something. Even worse for a sportscar. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to get one.
    Unless of course every bone in your body says "DO IT!" and you feel a tingling down your spine whenever you see the car, let alone drive it.
    For 50K$ you get a grin on your face that nothing else can buy -unless your wife is THAT good

If -on top of that- you can afford it, I cannot think of one single reason why you shouldn't endulge yourself and live life while you have it.
    What are you waiting for? Your retirement?

You only live once. Make the most of it.
    Maybe you will get to be 90, maybe not. All you have is now.
    Carpe diem.

Quote:
    lemansbluem5 said:
    Ok, but do all of your girlfriends/spouses/boyfriends think that you "guys" all have gone off the deep end by getting a secondary car, one that you'll only drive consistently a few months of the year, for this much money? It's not exactly a matter of affording it, as we can all afford more than we actually obtain, but I just have a hard time telling myself that I couldn't use that $50K on something else (ie a nicer 10 year anniversary present for the wife, let's say)

fang

My wife says that I'm mad and that there are a lot of things we could have better spent the money on such as a) 5 years worth of luxury holidays b) The extension she wants on the house that we can't work out how to do so she has room for her keep fit machines (even though we have bicycles she won't ride because her legs aren't long enough c) Invest it for our pensions d) refit and redecorate said house from top to bottom (need more than Pounds50k when combined with extension mentioned in b) above. BUT whilst all these would make my wife happy none would make ME happy. But being the loving devoted wife she is she is happy for me to have the Boxster.

The above faithfully dictated verbatim, checked and approved by said wife before going to press!

Has she driven either car? Perhaps if she saw how much fun a Boxster S is she would want you to own one, although then of course you'd have to share it. I find that most people who don't 'get' cars simply haven't driven the right ones.

Quote:
    girlracer said:
    Has she driven either car? Perhaps if she saw how much fun a Boxster S is she would want you to own one, although then of course you'd have to share it. I find that most people who don't 'get' cars simply haven't driven the right ones.

I quote reply from She Who Must Be Obeyed :- " To me a car is a means for getting from A to B. I have driven a 986 Boxster and you could feel the quality in it but it didn't do anything for me" Unquote.

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    I quote reply from She Who Must Be Obeyed

LOOOOL!!!
    What my buddy calls El Senorita Commandante

My girlfriend was not into cars at all before meeting me. Now that I have "educated" her by repeated trips to Porsche and BMW dealerships she now reports almost daily the cars that she has seen whilst out on the road, has got rid of her 11 year old Peugeot and bought an Alfa 147. She doesn't even mind me spending a few hours cleaning my toys at the weekend. I had a Boxster and a Cayenne on order but was torn on changing this to a 997 and a new BMW E90 3 series as a daily driver instead. She said stick with the Boxster and Cayenne until I took her to the showroom and she saw the 997. After that her education was complete. She just blurted out "buy the 911!". Who was I to argue

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    775516 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    440775 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262277 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260497 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84926 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5448 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

879811 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    814749 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM