Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 992 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 992 GT3 RS

779B2872-6417-40C2-A081-BAC4A48FB210.jpegPic has been around for a bit, will be interesting to see what functions are controlled by the 4 knobs.  Guessing drive mode, traction control, wing / drs, ? yes

"New Porsche 911 GT3 RS to be revealed on 17 August"  E0F26BDD-E91B-4EF4-964B-7C4204B9E420.gif

Hardcore version of Porsche 911 GT3 to get a raft of chassis and aero upgrades but keep same engine

The new GT3 RS is "even more optimised for track use" than its predecessors

(26 July 2022)

The next-generation Porsche 911 GT3 RS will get a raft of chassis and aerodynamic upgrades over the standard 911 GT3 but hinted it will keep the same powertrain, Porsche has confirmed ahead of its unveiling next month.

The hardcore version of the already-punchy Porsche 911 GT3, which will be revealed on August 17, has been developed with track days in mind, and “is even more optimised for track use than its predecessors”, Porsche GT boss Andreus Preuninger said.

Compared with the standard 996-generation 911 GT3, official pictures show it with a raft of RS upgrades, including wider arches, higher-placed and larger air intakes on the bonnet and, most notably, a huge rear wing. 

Preuninger has hinted that the 911 GT3 RS will get the same, or slightly uprated, powerplant as the standard 911 GT3: a 4.0-litre naturally aspirated flat six, outputting 503bhp and 347lb ft.

He said the decision to not heavily upgrade the engine was made as it “has proven ideal for use at trackdays and club sport events”, thanks to its “spontaneously responsive, high-revving” nature.

“That's why we focused primarily on aerodynamics and chassis questions in the development of the new 911 GT3 RS,” he added, pointing to the 911 RSR and 911 GT3 R GT racing cars as inspiration.

The engine is expected to be paired to a PDK seven-speed automatic gearbox, as in the 911 GT3, and, in classic 911 fashion, send power to the rear wheels alone.

A raft of weight-saving measures are expected to be made across the board, with a lighter chassis, carbonfibre bodywork and a stripped-out interior expected.

A price point north of £150,000 is expected, with the standard 911 GT3 starting at £127,820. The previous 911 GT3 RS, realeased in 2018, was priced from around £141,000 before sales ended. 

The new 911 GT3 RS will sit at the top of the 911 tree as the most powerful model available to buy, although it  won’t be the most expensive, the recently revealed £214,200 Porsche 911 Sport Classic taking that crown. 

Link: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-porsche-911-gt3-rs-be-revealed-17-august

Smiley

As we thought. Primarily a track car. Same engine as the 992 GT3. Why not offer a manual transmission to those who who likely would be interested in the car?

--

The purpose of life is to enjoy the moment.

The new Porsche 911 GT3 RS is in the starting blocks

(26/07/2022)

The Porsche 911 GT3 is getting a big brother: the 911 GT3 RS, the new top of the 911 line in terms of performance will celebrate its world premiere on 17 August. The development of the high-performance sports car was inspired by the successful 911 RSR and 911 GT3 R GT racing cars.

“The new 911 GT3 RS is even more optimised for track use than its predecessors. The spontaneously responsive, high-revving four-litre, six-cylinder boxer engine with approximately 500 PS has proven ideal for use at trackdays and club sport events,” says Andreas Preuninger, Director GT Model Line. “That's why we focused primarily on aerodynamics and chassis questions in the development of the new 911 GT3 RS.”

Broadcast on 17 August at 5:00 pm CEST

The digital world premiere of the new Porsche 911 GT3 RS will be broadcast on newstv.porsche.com on 17 August at 5:00 pm CEST. The video will also be available on demand there after the event.

Press Release: https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2022/products/porsche-911-gt3-rs-world-premiere-29177.html

nberry:

As we thought. Primarily a track car. Same engine as the 992 GT3. 

Nick - I have a secret for you:  Your car is also primarily a track car and shares its engine with its contemporary GT3 Smiley

The 911ST will be the Manual version of the RS (without the wing and with some nice cosmetic touches).
    --

22 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 18 GT3 Manual, 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Grant, why the difference in hp?

--

nberry:

Grant, why the difference in hp?

Just computer tuning (mostly) and larger air boxes.  Engine itself is identical.  I'm guessing the new RS will also have a 20 hp bump over the GT3 with no real difference.

Porsche is a master of doing this - for years, made 10 hp more in Cayman than Boxster for no reason (other than to charge more for a less expensive to manufacture coupe version of the convertible).   Now they make 20 hp less in the 4.0 718 GTS than the GT4/Spyder with the same motor and even lowered the redline for good measure Smiley

--

22 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 18 GT3 Manual, 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

The new RS looks really good from this angle!

--

If I don't fly, I drive my .:RS :)

Pilot:

The serrated edges on the front aero ducts are pretty menacing Smiley

--

Yes, they are. blush

--

lexs4:

779B2872-6417-40C2-A081-BAC4A48FB210.jpegPic has been around for a bit, will be interesting to see what functions are controlled by the 4 knobs.  Guessing drive mode, traction control, wing / drs, ? yes

Station, Volume, Bass and Treble......

964C2:
    lexs4:

Station, Volume, Bass and Treble......

One of the steering wheel knobs sets the car up for the Starbucks drive-thru.  

nberry:

As we thought. Primarily a track car. Same engine as the 992 GT3. Why not offer a manual transmission to those who who likely would be interested in the car?

There is the answer to why it doesn't have a manual.

--

Pilot:

until you see the real thing and the thing looks like the size of a blue whale, that over ate. 

--

Whoopsy:
    nberry:

4 different generations of GT3 (and 3 generations of RS's) before the first one with automatic (and 5 years after PDK introduced in Carrera). Smiley

--

Whoopsy:
    Pilot:

until you see the real thing and the thing looks like the size of a blue whale, that over ate. 

I believe you. Smiley

--

Who is ordering ?

Not me. I love my car too much...

--

Too bad the redline is blocked in the photo above of the new steering wheel.  Since displacement is said to still be 4.0L, I wonder if they could nudge redline by a couple/few hundred revs to achieve a few more horses (or maybe the GT3 already had the necessary 20 hp electronic neutering that can now be undone)?

--

At the dealer to replace my front spoiler. They had several GT3's used and new. One a touring with PTS was is listed for $379,000. They had a couple of used 992GT3's selling for just below $300,000. One had 2200 miles and they listed for $288,000. The prior owner must have taken a bath on it.

An incoming Targa they were prepping will be listed for $65,000 over MSRP.

My question is going forward is this what to expect from Porsche dealers? Add as much as you can on most of their cars or do I have a greedy dealer? The Porsche I once knew as a performance value car is apparently headed for oblivion.surprise

--

Grant:
    Whoopsy:
    nberry:

4 different generations of GT3 (and 3 generations of RS's) before the first one with automatic (and 5 years after PDK introduced in Carrera). Smiley

--

Ever since the 991 generation Porsche had said RS denotes track weapon and thus PDK only for maximum speed. Before the 991 their PDK isn't as matured, make sense. 

After doing real racing for a year, paddle shift is the way to go for going fast. AND enjoyment. There is no better feeling in holding onto the wheel to correct the car while at maximum braking keeping it on line while doing the downshifts. Taking one hand off the wheel to shift down is just taking away the pleasure of going fast, as I won't be in maximum control of the car with only one hand, thus not at maximum speed I can do. 

I have taken my 911R, my Aston V12 Vantage, even the 3.6 out on our track, The 3.6 is just torture, the pedals don't line up so it's basically impossibly for me to do heel and toe. Or I just don't have big enough feet. I am leaving literally seconds on the table before each corner in the braking zone. 

The Aston was a pig on track, but it does have rev match so it's just an arm exercise, but under maximum braking it just moves around too much, holding the wheel one handed don't quite work too well. Oh did I mention the extremely vague shift gates? Every shift is a guess on whether I got the correct one or I went 2 down and posing a danger the motor? I just can't do it by feel, I had to wait for my eyes to look at the gear number before I commit to letting go of the clutch. Or I feather the clutch and feel if I got the right gear or not. 

The 911R was best, lightest, also got rev match. The shifter is a dream, never got a wrong shift up or down. But the car still moves a bit under braking, steering is good enough to be controlled by one hand. Keyword good enough, not perfect. I admit I am not the best shifter, far from it, so one thing I cannot do is trail brake the car while still downshifting, I just don't have enough control of the steering wheel to do it. 

Jump into the GT4 Clusport right after, maximum attack everywhere, super late braking, trail braking deep into apexes while downshifting, controlling fishtailing while on maximum throttle out of corners, everything under control with both hands on the wheel. 

I was a diehard manual guy before, I thought it is a manly thing to drive a manual car. Done that for many many years. But I am a convert, PDK is so good, there is no going back. Manual cars are dinosaurs, like carburetors. Or horse drawn carriages. They had their time in history, but history isn't kind to all. 

For people that really really wanted to drive manual on track, GT3s are there for the taking. 

--

nberry:

At the dealer to replace my front spoiler. They had several GT3's used and new. One a touring with PTS was is listed for $379,000. They had a couple of used 992GT3's selling for just below $300,000. One had 2200 miles and they listed for $288,000. The prior owner must have taken a bath on it.

My question is going forward is this what to expect from Porsche dealers? Add as much as you can on most of their cars or do I have a greedy dealer? The Porsche I once knew as a performance value car is apparently headed for oblivion.surprise

It had always been that. Dealers wants to make money, plain and simple. 

Write to your congressman to have them enforce a rule for no markup. Well also no discount. Can't have it both ways. 

It's 'free market' at work. The price will always naturally settle on what the market will bear in a free market with no interference. IF a dealer can charge a lot extra on top, it' just means the car is under priced to start off with. 

Over here in Canada, luxury cars never have mark ups, be it Ferrari, Lamborghini or Porsche. But by the same token, no one can pay extra on top of MSRP to jump the queue. In order to 'jump' the queue, one has to develop a relationship with the dealership. Some says it's a healthy one, some say it isn't as one needs to buy all sorts of 'garbage' cars just to get to a car they want. Depends on how one look at things. 

I am on the fence on that debate. I have a great relationship with brands that I wanted to buy. I don't have problem getting access to cars. But for some, I don't, and I wish I can just pay extra and jump the queue. The C8 Corvette is one, I just can't get one, even when I offered extra. Hyundai IONIQ 5 is another, I tried walking in to buy one I can't. I offered more money yet still got turned down. I even asked the owner of one dealership to help and still a no, even when we are good buddies. But then again I had secured myself a GR Corolla via the owner's route. I tried the showroom and got turned away, even with extras. I called up my friend who is the owner and secured a car via him. 

Morale of the whole thing? Relationships helps. Money second. rules? Maybe 3rd. 

--

I agree relationship matters. But when new management takes over, relationship is no longer valued. It’s all about how bad do you want the car and how much are you willing to pay. Fortunately, I have had the pleasure of owning many high performance cars and I own one now. My zeal to own one priced above MSRP is negligible.indecision

--

Whoopsy:
    For people that really really wanted to drive manual on track, GT3s are there for the taking. 

Agree - and I have already taken your advice. Smiley

Pretty soon, you won't even have the pleasure of pulling on the paddles - the EV race cars are coming with direct drive.

--

nberry:

You never have to pay above MSRP here, that would be really really frowned upon her, not sure if it's even legal here, but that doesn't mean that you don't have to buy able car (like a Panamera or something) in order to be able to get the GT car and the dealer get that extra profit from that, or more commonly just be a good customer that had bought many cars from that dealership.

I would never buy at overs. So many are flipped here in the UK and through dealers.

A flipped GT model that's been ragged up to 9000 rpm from zero miles, no thanks and no thanks at over list either.

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

991 GT3.2 pick up April/May 2018. ( Hairy Chest Spec ).

Vauxhall Zafira 1.6 Exclusive pick up June 2013. ( Shit Box )

Rennteam Hairy Chest Advisor.

Grant:
    Whoopsy:

Agree - and I have already taken your advice. Smiley

Pretty soon, you won't even have the pleasure of pulling on the paddles - the EV race cars are coming with direct drive.

Yeah I know. Smiley

For me it's hard to judge speed without engine sound. I keep track of what gear I am in and using the engine note I know approximately what speed I am at going into corners maybe 3rd gear at this note for turn 1, 3rd gear at another note for turn 2, 5th gear at another note for turn 3, etc, and that's how I drive on track. Cutting out the gear part I am sort of clueless unless I take a glance at the speedo. But even that doesn't help much if I didn't check data to know the translation from engine note to speed. 

--

Whoopsy:

For me it's hard to judge speed without engine sound. I keep track of what gear I am in and using the engine note I know approximately what speed I am at going into corners maybe 3rd gear at this note for turn 1, 3rd gear at another note for turn 2, 5th gear at another note for turn 3, etc, and that's how I drive on track. Cutting out the gear part I am sort of clueless unless I take a glance at the speedo. But even that doesn't help much if I didn't check data to know the translation from engine note to speed. 

Maybe in EV rennwagenen one can use gear whine pitch or maybe have an electronic photon torpedo sound wired into one's helmet audio?

--

Mike

918 Spyder + 992 GT3 Touring + Taycan Turbo + Tesla Roadster 1.5 & Model S P100D AP2 + BMWs (Z8 + 3.0 CSi) + Bentley Arnage T

A EV motor isn't a completely silent thing, it has the electric whine noise. But because of the big rpm range the difference in note is too small to be useful for me. Especially when the tire roar pretty much masked the whine completely. 

I tried already to do some laps with the Taycan, I either go in too hot, or go in too slow. Likely I can improve with more practice but for sure I am too deeply ingrained with the old way.

But I mean it can be done. Look at all the Formula E racers, they all transitioned from engines to electric motors. I am sure they are using the motor whine noise to judge speed. But those also have a lot louder whines. 

--

The Rumor du Jour is that the 992 RS is coming with only 4.0L and 530PS, but the redline will be raised to 9,500 rpm.  Not only will this sound amazing, but it lets Porsche lower the gearing (which in turn produces more torque multiplication in the gearbox for greater torque at the wheels, despite no real torque improvement at the motor).

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688702 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408765 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255554 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234813 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65401 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4636 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857635 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773479 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM