Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Boxster Coupe/Cayman/C7S Gets A 3.4l Engine

Just thought I'd pass on this information. One of the directors of Porsche Club GB has just got back from a factory visit and said that the Boxster engine assembly line had a sign above it that said 2.7l, 3.2l and 3.4l. The 3.4l is obviously going to be for the new coupe.

Re: Boxster Coupe/Cayman/C7S Gets A 3.4l Engine

hmmmm

Boxster 2.7l = 240HP
    Boxster 3.2l = 280HP
    Carrera 3.4l = 300HP
    Carrera 3.6l = 320-325HP

then... Boxster 3.4l = 300-305HP

So that means the Coupe gets 300HP. Not bad

I even heard 320 HP for the Cayman but I hope this isn't true for the sake of the 997 Carrera. Porsche might not realize it yet but the Cayman will heavily damage 997 Carrera and maybe even Carrera S sales.
    In my opinion, the Cayman doesn't make ANY sense but I'm not a marketing pro.
    Or maybe Porsche wants to offer some "base" models (Boxster, Boxster S, Carrera, Carrera S) and more special models like the Cayman, GT3, Turbo, etc. for a different type of customer.

Time will tell but I'm still not convinced that this strategy will help, on the contrary.
    Porsche may not realize it but they whole company still lives from the 911 "myth". If they neglect the 911 or even offer products which compete with it directly, it could mean trouble in paradise.

Quote:
    RC said:
    I even heard 320 HP for the Cayman but I hope this isn't true for the sake of the 997 Carrera. Porsche might not realize it yet but the Cayman will heavily damage 997 Carrera and maybe even Carrera S sales.
    Or maybe Porsche wants to offer some "base" models (Boxster, Boxster S, Carrera, Carrera S) and more special models like the Cayman, GT3, Turbo, etc. for a different type of customer.

Time will tell but I'm still not convinced that this strategy will help, on the contrary.
    Porsche may not realize it but they whole company still lives from the 911 "myth". If they neglect the 911 or even offer products which compete with it directly, it could mean trouble in paradise.

The wrong strategy was to offer a base 997 with only 325Hp The S with 355Hp should have been the base model leaving room for Boxster to grow on power and have an engine of 300Hp without the fear of hearting 997 sales.

J.Seven

RC,
    I think you're right but as long as it's steals sales but stays in the same company it's fine.
    It's a bit like the new Merc CLS, yes it stole sales from the E and CL but overall brings also new costumers, as long as cannibalisation is internal, I don't think it's dramatic.

Quote:
    Atlantis said:
    Just thought I'd pass on this information. One of the directors of Porsche Club GB has just got back from a factory visit and said that the Boxster engine assembly line had a sign above it that said 2.7l, 3.2l and 3.4l. The 3.4l is obviously going to be for the new coupe.

Hmmm, and now that I was almost ready to put down a deposit for a Boxster S.... If I knew that the Cayman was going to cost between the S and the Carrera 3.2 then I would have no problem buying the S now. Problem is that we still don't have any idea how much more the 3.4 will cost over the 3.2 S.

Decisions, decisions, decisions

Quote:
    Steven Martins said:
    Quote:
    Atlantis said:

Hmmm, and now that I was almost ready to put down a deposit for a Boxster S.... If I knew that the Cayman was going to cost between the S and the Carrera 3.2 then I would have no problem buying the S now. Problem is that we still don't have any idea how much more the 3.4 will cost over the 3.2 S.

Decisions, decisions, decisions

Hi Steven, do you still have the Boxster 2.7L ?
    What about the Beltronic, has it save you from this guys
    PS- Be careful, this is A1

It's incredible what this guys do to caught high speed drivers

Getting elaborate down there!... boy, what would I give to come up behind that guy in the first pic and kick him right on the arse!

The ones I have seen in northern Portugal so far are the usual camo car parked on the highway ramp with the tripod on the border of the highway or the car parked on the edge behind a sign or something, fairly easy to catch with the detector. The highway from Oporto to Valenca/Tui(Spain) is usually heaven if you have a detector

Quote:
    RC said:

I think the 911 die-hearts remain loyal to the 911 ; even though Cayman may offer same/higher hp than the base 911 it won't carry the same prestige as the 911.

Believe it or not majority of the 911 drivers drive the 911 for its stature than what this car can really do.

My feeling is that, as fanch said, like the new CLS it opens up a new venture for Porsche; won't necessarily steal 911 owners nor Boxster open top lovers.

But time will tell .

I think that Porsche might end up conservatively rating the coupe at just below 300bhp (i.e. 295bhp). This gives their marketing people the chance to draw a distinction between it and the 911 - "If you want a Porsche sports car with over 300bhp, then the 911 is the only choice".

I think it'll be interesting to see how Porsche price the coupe. It won't be that much more powerful than a Boxster S, but will undoubtedly be cheaper to manufacture due to the lack of electric hood. If Porsche do price it midway between the Boxster S and the 997 base, as is rumoured, then they need to justify this with a high standard specification (19" wheels, PASM, PCCB perhaps?).

Hopefully we'll find out more about the coupe at this month. The general manager of Porsche Cars GB said that there would be an announcement on Feb 23rd.

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    Quote:
    RC said:

I think the 911 die-hearts remain loyal to the 911 ; even though Cayman may offer same/higher hp than the base 911 it won't carry the same prestige as the 911.

Believe it or not majority of the 911 drivers drive the 911 for its stature than what this car can really do.

My feeling is that, as fanch said, like the new CLS it opens up a new venture for Porsche; won't necessarily steal 911 owners nor Boxster open top lovers.

But time will tell .

The saying goes that history always repeats itself. In the past, a mid-engine model had similar engine size to a 911 and was faster than a 911 on the track. The 911 won for those same points that you mentioned Ron. Then they had a front engine model that performed better and again the 911 won.

A 911 is a 911. A 911 is a Porsche. All other models are just Porsche models.

When I got my car several months ago, my biggest fear was they would stop making the 911 before I was able to get one. I have had two other entry models, they were super cars but they were not 911s.

I do think that Porsche does have another major problem. What are they doing to increase 911 die-hards? Those of us that are 30 or older remember Porsche racing victories at Le Mans and other places where they went head to head with Ferrari and other car companies and won. Where is that excitement today? Heritage can only last so long.

Quote:
    J.Seven said:
    Hi Steven, do you still have the Boxster 2.7L ?
    What about the Beltronic, has it save you from this guys
    PS- Be careful, this is A1

Hi J,

I still have the 2.7... But ever since I saw the new 987 in person I knew I had to get one

Probably the 987 S now and in two years time trade it for the 997... Time will tell.

I do still have the Beltronic but I never really used it... After finding out that it is illegal to use speed detectors here in Portugal and as a result my car can be impounded I stored it away... and forgot about it until now

I'll drop you an email in a few days to see how's things going down there in Lisbon.

I think they will have to offer this engine to remain competitive at all, as BMW has evidently reversed their decision to not offer the Z4 as an M model. The rumor in the current roundel is that the new M roadster will have the same 400hp V8 as the coming M3, but even if they stick the older six in there it will end up with 330 HP, more than the base 911.

I will have a very difficult time avoiding buying that car rather than the Boxster, particularly if the 8 is the engine used. If the Boxster does not get an option for the same engine as the Cayman, I am afraid my only Porsche will be a 914 sitting next to my M Roadster.

maybe the 997 will get 355 hp and then the 997s 380 hp....

I love the concept Cayman, not the name.
    A lightweight car, with an engine in the middle and 300 hp or more sounds like much fun!

My brother, an 03 996 C2 owner, just returned from a PCNA
    run focus group to discuss the Boxster Coupe/?Cayman. They simply referred to it as the Coupe. They had two Coupes to view, and in his opinion it's a fantastic design. They had 3.4L motors making 295bhp, "upgraded" brakes, and 18 inch
    wheels standard. The main focus of the discussion group was to get feedback on the price point. They clearly see
    recent 996 coupe owners as potential buyers. No 966TT or
    GT2/3 owners were present, which I hope explains why I wasn't invited! PCNA wanted to gauge demand at the $55-60K
    price point. The focus group got quite heated. One asked why we have to pay a premium for a 996 Cab over a coupe,
    and now they want a premium on the coupe over the BoxsterS!
    The focus group agreed that they would be willing to buy the coupe if it were $2.5K under the BoxsterS. Apparently there were not many happy P car owners there, as most were
    upset with the heavy 996 depreciation and the lack of significant improvements on the 997 to justify the cost
    differential. None were willing to spend $55-60K for a
    Boxster Coupe as a replacement. I wonder what PCNA will end up doing?

Peter
    04 GT3
    01 996TT (daily driver & loving every minute of it this winter!)

Quote:

Keep in mind the model will be more powerful and also with little details like 18 in standard, better brakes, etc.
    It's more than a Boxster coupe IMO, a Boxster coupe would retain all the details of the Boxter line up but with a fixed roof, and paying more for that would indeed be a mistake.
    I think the upcoming coupe will target proper driving enthousiasts, it will be a good performer, more powerful than a Boxster S (marginally but still...) and also slightly lighter I think, hopefully between 60 to 80 kgs less, should be good for 0 to 100 kmh in 5.2 secs.

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Quote:

Keep in mind the model will be more powerful and also with little details like 18 in standard, better brakes, etc.
    It's more than a Boxster coupe IMO, a Boxster coupe would retain all the details of the Boxter line up but with a fixed roof, and paying more for that would indeed be a mistake.
    I think the upcoming coupe will target proper driving enthousiasts, it will be a good performer, more powerful than a Boxster S (marginally but still...) and also slightly lighter I think, hopefully between 60 to 80 kgs less, should be good for 0 to 100 kmh in 5.2 secs.

Still not big enough difference for most people to pay more than a Boxster for.
    I'd say 320+ BHP and a helluva suspension + equipment to be worth more than a topless Boxster.

i love the way the Europeans hide speed cameras etc...

i rememebr there was an interesting site about it.. anyone have the link?

Quote:
    Peter H(Chicago) said:
    The focus group agreed that they would be willing to buy the coupe if it were $2.5K under the BoxsterS. Apparently there were not many happy P car owners there, as most were
    upset with the heavy 996 depreciation and the lack of significant improvements on the 997 to justify the cost
    differential. None were willing to spend $55-60K for a

Peter
    04 GT3

God love 'em!....They are absolutely correct. If Porsche wants to bring out a 3.4 version of the coupe.....fine, but it should cost the SAME as the Boxster S with a 3.2L coupe coming in about $4-$5K BELOW it. Any more than this and we are just making the people at Porsche richer and us poorer pure and simple. Glad the focus group didn't get run over by the Porsche Twin-Turbo marketing department.

Thanks for the "feedback", Peter.

I'm afraid I already know the answer, the Cayman will be situated between the Boxster S and the 997 Carrera. I hope I'm not right but...

Quote:
    RC said:
    Thanks for the "feedback", Peter.

I'm afraid I already know the answer, the Cayman will be situated between the Boxster S and the 997 Carrera. I hope I'm not right but...

Sad if Porsche is not listening to what people actually want and are willing to pay for. Like a lot of people I wish they would just come out and say it either way.

Actually a couple of the latest rags (Automobile & C&D) still have Porsche bringing out 240/280 versions of the coupe with no mention of a 3.4L. Very strange.

I've got a deposit down on a coupe, but if the pricing is that high I've got other things to move on to and need to know pretty soon......

Quote:
    Peter H(Chicago) said:
    Apparently there were not many happy P car owners there, as most were upset with the heavy 996 depreciation and the lack of significant improvements on the 997 to justify the cost differential.

None were willing to spend $55-60K for a

Peter
    04 GT3

Thanks for the info Peter. Let me shed some light on the resale value that seems to have upset many P owners. There a few factors that causes the low resale value and to point out a few is:

1) The lease factor that has been introduced in the car industry has played a major role in the resale value of the cars. When the dealer sells/leases the car they know that after 3 or 5 years they'll get so many cars back and essentially they NEED to get rid of them and they can't just sit in the lot; so the prices start to drop in order to move the cars. And also the residual value they give you at the time of purchase is just an estimate and they know there is so much human, time, and economical factors involved that it'll fail to remain the same by the time the lease is up. In essence Leasing a car makes it very affordable for those that couldn't afford Porsche before (me included) hence, it affects the resale value. If you look at the 993 you'll notice that they didn't make as many as 996 and also the leasing options at the time were not as versatile as they are today.

2) Porsche is trying to become a main stream manufacturer (Which is not bad at all) a la MB, BMW, AUDI and so forth... even though Porsche is technologically way superior. Exclusivity (except CGT and GT3 RS) doesn't play a factor in keeping the price up in Porsche line up; therefore this factor would be another substantial one that drives the resale value down.

If anyone buys Porsche for its resale value I believe it is a mistake. Just look at the companies that are mass manufacturer such as MB and BMW, do their cars resale any better, I think not.

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    Quote:
    Peter H(Chicago) said:
    Apparently there were not many happy P car owners there, as most were upset with the heavy 996 depreciation and the lack of significant improvements on the 997 to justify the cost differential.

None were willing to spend $55-60K for a

Peter
    04 GT3

Thanks for the info Peter. Let me shed some light on the resale value that seems to have upset many P owners. There a few factors that causes the low resale value and to point out a few is:

1) The lease factor that has been introduced in the car industry has played a major role in the resale value of the cars. When the dealer sells/leases the car they know that after 3 or 5 years they'll get so many cars back and essentially they NEED to get rid of them and they can't just sit in the lot; so the prices start to drop in order to move the cars. And also the residual value they give you at the time of purchase is just an estimate and they know there is so much human, time, and economical factors involved that it'll fail to remain the same by the time the lease is up. In essence Leasing a car makes it very affordable for those that couldn't afford Porsche before (me included) hence, it affects the resale value. If you look at the 993 you'll notice that they didn't make as many as 996 and also the leasing options at the time were not as versatile as they are today.

2) Porsche is trying to become a main stream manufacturer (Which is not bad at all) a la MB, BMW, AUDI and so forth... even though Porsche is technologically way superior. Exclusivity (except CGT and GT3 RS) doesn't play a factor in keeping the price up in Porsche line up; therefore this factor would be another substantial one that drives the resale value down.

If anyone buys Porsche for its resale value I believe it is a mistake. Just look at the companies that are mass manufacturer such as MB and BMW, do their cars resale any better, I think not.

I agree/disagree with some of what you have said.

The leasing part I agree with, but I don't think that was the main reason why the focus group didn't want to pay more for a Boxster coupe than a drop top. Even with a slightly bigger engine and maybe a bigger brake disk the coupe should not cost more than a Boxster S. I think a lot of past/present/future Porsche owners are really starting to take a look at what Porsche is trying to pull these days and some of us are not liking it. If Porsche is so technologically advanced as you say why can't they stop RMS failures, Intermediate shaft breakage, etc. from happening??

Becoming a main stream manufacturer has it's pros and cons, but in a few areas I think Porsche is getting sloppy and greedy at the same time......running past some of the open issues they have but wanting to get more money in the mean time.

As far as resale values are concerned......I think your a little off. Compare lets say a BMW M3 with the same year Boxster/996 and you will see a huge diff in resale value.....most 1 or 2 year old M3s with a few miles on them sell within sniffing range of their original MSRP. Try that with any Porsche at this time.....

Porsche cars are still great.....there's no question, but I wish they would focus a little more on satisfying and listening to the customer throughout their ownership instead of putting a priority on snowing us out of more money.

Quote:
    As far as resale values are concerned......I think your a little off. Compare lets say a BMW M3 with the same year Boxster/996 and you will see a huge diff in resale value.....most 1 or 2 year old M3s with a few miles on them sell within sniffing range of their original MSRP.

What island are you living on

Quote:
    Zürich said:
    Quote:
    As far as resale values are concerned......I think your a little off. Compare lets say a BMW M3 with the same year Boxster/996 and you will see a huge diff in resale value.....most 1 or 2 year old M3s with a few miles on them sell within sniffing range of their original MSRP.

I guess the "island" would be the US......and it's a fact....BMWs in general have better resale and residual value here (for leases) than most Porsches. Same with Audis...great cars (I've owned 3), but lots of depreication compared to BMW though.

Maybe its a different planet....

Quote:
    senra said:

Maybe its a different planet....

Hmmm, do you guys see something different across the ocean?.....would be interesting to hear details.....

Mike,
    Here's what prices are like in the UK for 3 year old cars:

M3 Coupe - Cost New Pounds39,340 Value Now Pounds28,190 Depreciation = 28%
    Boxster 2.7 - Cost New Pounds31,630 Value Now Pounds26,535 Depreciation = 16%
    996 C2 - Cost New Pounds56,130 Value Now Pounds47,275 Depreciation = 16%

As you can see, the Porsche models are much better at holding their value than the M3. In fact, Porsche's are the second lowest depreciating marque in the UK after Mini (which is separate from BMW over here).

Interesting.....

Here in the states I have observed almost the opposite with most Porsches running at 28%-30% depreciation and the M3 coming in at around 20%. I'm sure a lot has to do with the coming of the 997 and 987, but the M3 is at the end of it's run also. Maybe the same will happen to it when the E90 version M3 is announced.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690944 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410104 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256164 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235390 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65739 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858765 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775068 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM