Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

987 order - opinions needed (long)

The final value of my future 2.7 (trading in a 2003 2.7) will be over the cost of a stripped S but I prefer a 2.7 loaded than a naked S.

So here's my (long) list of must have equipment and also options that I'm considering.

Color:
    - Basalt Black exterior, black top and stone silver interior
    or
    - Seal or Atlas Gray, black or grey top, stone silver or black interior (I know, lot's of possible combinations).

Must have equipment:
    - Sport Pack (6 speed manual box and PASM)
    - Bi-Xenon lighting system
    - Full leather
    - Sport seats
    - Boxster S (18") wheels
    - Alarm
    - Fully automatic climate control
    - ParkAssist
    - Bose sound system + wind deflector
    - PCM II
    - Sport Chrono Plus (with PCM)
    - Wheel centre set
    - Top tinted windscreen
    - Three-spoke multi-function steering wheel in smooth leather (only with PCM)
    or
    - Three-spoke sports steering wheel in smooth leather

I really like the thumbs grip on the sports steering wheel, but the price difference for the multi-function is very small. Is the multi-functions in the wheel really useful?

Equipment that I'm considering and can only choose a few to keep the price leveled:

- Instrument dials in Carrara White (nice but a bit expensive)
    - HomeLink
    - Cruise control
    - Heated seats
    - Porsche crest embossed on head restrains
    - Automatically dimming interior and exterior mirrors with integrated rain sensor
    - CDC-4 six disc CD autochanger
    - Telephone module (don't know how good quality the sound is with all the engine noise in the background)
    - Stainless steel tailpipe, chrome-plated
    - Carbon package (Carbon finish on dashboard trim strip (five part) , gear lever, handbrake lever grip)
    I'm considering this because there's a visible difference on the dashboard from the base to the S. The S is much more shinny and aluminum like. With a gray interior I think the carbon parts will look good. Anyone seen any pictures of a 987 with carbon interior?

I've created a Excel page to help me determine the exact final price with any combination of options.
    You can get it here:
    http://www.pointstone.com/steven/cars/Porsche/Boxster_987.xls (28 Kb)

I'm trying to get it at around 80.000, 80.500 euros. If you want to play with it and let me know the equipment you would choose you are more than welcome.

What options of the equipment I'm considering is a must have for you guys/gals?

Thanks,
    Steven

Re: 987 order - opinions needed (long)

Be ready for lots of differing opinions as obviously these choices are so personal - for example your choice to get a loaded 2.7 rather than a base S, but here are mine for what they are worth.

Colour - all great combinations, but if you decide for Seal grey I'd go for a contrasting top (ie Black) and interior - too much grey can look washed out. Perhaps the two tone interior, or black with a deviating grey carpet (had this in may last Seal Grey car looke great but wasn't available for my build date this time). Seal Grey hides the stone chips better than the darker colours - important if you're as anal as I am, and different people have different views on how the light coloured side vents look wih a contracting paint.

Options:

Make sure you try the sports seats and normal ones first - the sports are very good but depends on your body shape.

I'd recommend heated seats - even in warmer climates they nice for those evening/late night roof down drives.

Homelink - make sure your gates/garage are compatible - looking like mine might not be now I've looked further into the option (www.homelink.com)

Telephone module - no experience of Porsches offereing, but seems very expensive. My dealer is arranging for a Bluetooth kit to be fitted - which can be integrated into the MOST fiberoptic system, with Bose, to mute the stereo and use the car speakers for sound.

Embossed headrests, coloured wheel centres just add that nice final touch - again, negotiated headrest free of charge only to find out they weren't available for my build.

Half the fun is chopping and changing the spec, good luck - in some ways you can't go wrong....

I hope you don't mind me saying it but I think you are crazy putting all that kit on a 2.7. That must take the price well enough over the price of a basic "S" to put some worthwhile options on it. You will take a hit come resale as well if you overspec the 2.7 above the cost of an "S".
    I've driven both the 987 2.7 and the "S" and the performance, particularly mid range is in a different league. It is so much more able to get the best out of that superb chassis.

Told you someone would bring it up

Quote:
    Rich C (UK) said:
    Told you someone would bring it up

Go on then, climb off the fence and tell us your opinion

Just my opinions pure and simple....

Sport Pack......you may not need it on a 2.7, PASM is a waste of money and added complexity and weight.
    Bi-Xenon.....YES
    Full Leather......MAYBE.....standard interior looks just fine.
    Sport Seats.......MAYBE....try first!...some don't like.
    18" Wheels.....YES
    Alarm.......YES
    Climate Control......YES
    Park Assist......NO, your driving a Boxster not a tank....you shouldn't have any problems knowing the "corners" of your car.
    Bose.......YES
    PCMII.......NO, more crap to go wrong and this should be a drivers car.....not a gizmo car.
    Sport Chrono.......NO, more waste of money for a wart and a button for which you can do the same function with the gas pedal.
    Wheel Centers.....YES, if you want them.
    Tinter Windscreen......if you want.
    Three spoke multi-function......YES.....do you need PCM for this???
    White dials?......NO, not with the colors your thinking of.
    Home link.....YES
    Cruise........MAYBE....if you use it.
    Heated seats.....YES.
    All the rest......"nice" things to have, but not necessary and just up the price.

Seal is a nice color.....but way to common in my opinion. Basalt is nice....but it almost looks like regular Black with a light coating of dust.

Atlas is a great color.....you can do black, stone, black/stone, sea blue, and natural grey interiors with it.

Good luck with it!

Well, the problem is that here in Portugal cars pay a special tax based on the engine size. This means that the 2.7 costs around 80300 USD and the S around 97200 USD. It's a much bigger price difference than on most other countries (and a way higher final price tag).

So adding a few options to the S will greatly increase the price over an very loaded base.

PCM - I don't have it on my 2003 2.7 but I'm a gadgets guy. I love these kind of things and I do think it makes the interior look much better.

Full leather - That's another thing that I wasn't going to add, but after seeing the full leather and regular one side by side I knew there is a big noticeable difference.

PASM - I tried it on a 2.7 and there was a noticeable difference on riding comfort. And besides the sport pack is the only way to get the 6 speed manual gear box on the base model.

The S, even a not very loaded one will have a better resale value. But I do value comfort inside and since this will be my daily car (as has been my current one) I'm considering spend more to get the kind of equipment that makes me happy with.

Steven

Quote:
    Steven Martins said:
    Well, the problem is that here in Portugal cars pay a special tax based on the engine size. This means that the 2.7 costs around 80300 USD and the S around 97200 USD.
    Steven

Ouch - makes more sense now - I was on Dreamcars side of the fence! And anyway the new 2.7 is almost as powerful as my 'old' 3.2 - and we never called that underpowered.

Quote:
    Steven Martins said:
    ...get the kind of equipment that makes me happy with.

That's the key - we've all got our opinions, and are happy to share them but in the end you're the one who's going to be sat behind the wheel.

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    I hope you don't mind me saying it but I think you are crazy putting all that kit on a 2.7. That must take the price well enough over the price of a basic "S" to put some worthwhile options on it. You will take a hit come resale as well if you overspec the 2.7 above the cost of an "S".
    I've driven both the 987 2.7 and the "S" and the performance, particularly mid range is in a different league. It is so much more able to get the best out of that superb chassis.

At 80000 euros (the value with all these options), the base will be about 5000 Euro over the S price. The S here in Portugal have a much bigger price difference than on other countries because of the high tax calculated based on the engine size.

Quote:
    Steven Martins said:
    At 80000 euros (the value with all these options), the base will be about 5000 Euro over the S price. The S here in Portugal have a much bigger price difference than on other countries because of the high tax calculated based on the engine size.

5000 euro should buy sports seats, full leather, bi-xenon lights, sports steering wheel, heated seats and metallic paint. Still a nice spec. No I'd still go for the "S" everytime. But as has been said here so many times, everyone likes something different.

With all the talk about the S I now began to think about getting one after all. It will be about 10000 euros (about US $13000) more than the base but it comes with those small things like red brakes, white dials 18" wheels, 6 speed gear box and others that I was going to put on the 2.7 anyway.

I'll have to determine how much the 3.2 will loose in 2 years time versus the base with the equipment I had choose.

Wish me luck

Steven

I think an averaged spec "S" would probably be a safer bet resale wise than a mega spec 2.7. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762466 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435358 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260516 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257573 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80947 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5321 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872279 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807653 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM