Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 992 GT3

the-missile:

You could try run the GT3 with Coke Zero. It is already fit for synthetic fuel. 

I want to see that. Smiley

All I can tell you is that we once saved a race with using Coca Cola (not Zero, the sugary stuff) for the clutch to "unstuck" it. Smiley Smiley I doubt this can be done on modern cars though nowadays.

Btw: All those YouTube "experiments" with Coca Cola eating through stuff are crap. You can do similar stuff with some fruit juices. Smiley 

Coca Cola (the sugary type) is harmful though: The sugar. Way too much. Also, the phosphoric acid for the teeth. Which brings me to Coca Cola Zero or light: Many "geniuses" think that they can drink "light" drinks without sugar after they brush their teeth in the evening. Unfortunately many of these "light" drinks without sugar contain phosphoric acid which can destroy your teeth, even on healthy adults! No sodas after brushing your teeth at night, this is the rule of thumb. Simple water will do (no milk or god beware fruit juices or similar stuff either).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

the-missile:

reginos:
    spudgun:

Like every GT3 owner drives the nuts off the car everytime everywhere? Sane people adapt their driving style when there are kids in the car, regardless the type of car. 

--

997.2 4S / BMW 745e / Donkervoort GT 

You are correct that owning a sportscar doesn't mean driving flat-out all the time and in all circumastances.

However, something like a GT3 is not an only car.

Someone who can afford a €180.000 focused driving car has the financial ability to own other cars (limousine/estate and/or SUV) who fit the purpose of traveling and carrying passengers a lot better than the hypothetical 2+2 GT3 Touring.

I live in a very very urban area. I have one off street parking spot and am allowed to pay for one street parking permit. I keep my 914/6 in off site storage because I won't park it on the street and in some ways I'm more worried about it in the parking pad. That said, there are three 991/992s that street park within a block of me... Our SUV lives in the off street because it's 15 feet from our front door and that's what we use all of the time. I"d street park the GT3. it's just a car, the 914 is my first car and I've owned it for 28 years. 

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Street park a brand new GT3 in Toronto with the harsh weather? Poor car.

mcdelaug:
    the-missile:

Thanks missile, I give that a go Smiley Smiley

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

991 GT3.2 pick up April/May 2018. ( Hairy Chest Spec ).

Vauxhall Zafira 1.6 Exclusive pick up June 2013. ( Shit Box )

Rennteam Hairy Chest Advisor.

wantone:

If I'd do that in Bavaria, it would surely get scratched...or stolen. Smiley Right now they are stealing Trackhawks in Germany, huge issue, I am in a German Trackhawk owner group and they've already stolen three Trackhawks from that group, mostly around Hamburg. Apparently they found an easy way through the keyless go system, so we turned it off (it is possible). Not sure this is possible with the GT3 but people would certainly scratch it or worse, I wouldn't leave such an expensive and flashy car outside.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

RC, when are you getting a 992 GT3 road test?  E0F26BDD-E91B-4EF4-964B-7C4204B9E420.gif

In the meantime, a few more studio pics... Smiley

77754564-8132-4671-BD24-0977AAA21651.jpeg

FF3CBA88-37BB-4305-BAB9-DA7B4CE7392A.jpeg

41DAFCF6-BB45-482F-98A6-F935020E1DB5.jpeg

D9DB6EA3-E98E-4438-8FE5-B6A6B18C29BD.jpeg

ACA0A9D8-6ADC-4CC6-A6D9-261695E6FA28.jpeg

42B325F7-8E78-40AE-91A2-066AE2A55D17.jpeg

B1266CB7-6C97-49D6-A580-547F4203BFF4.jpeg

CF7EBE1A-28F2-4179-962B-2F9EABCAE651.jpeg

943BBA77-9CED-4C11-AE08-0989EB045E83.jpeg

98F4F2C4-63C0-4722-8000-2F7D84B2D091.jpeg

DBBE5284-36A4-41A0-9EEE-A825E2522DFE.jpeg

58140FE0-865B-48C4-8FDB-3C184D896472.jpeg

Smiley

RC:
    wantone:

If I'd do that in Bavaria, it would surely get scratched...or stolen. Smiley Right now they are stealing Trackhawks in Germany, huge issue, I am in a German Trackhawk owner group and they've already stolen three Trackhawks from that group, mostly around Hamburg. Apparently they found an easy way through the keyless go system, so we turned it off (it is possible). Not sure this is possible with the GT3 but people would certainly scratch it or worse, I wouldn't leave such an expensive and flashy car outside.

In most of Europe it would be gone in a couple of weeks. In Toronto also sometimes they are stealing brand new cars from driveways as well but nobody cares since insurance is paying the car at full price and then we all pay huge insurance premiums.

nberry:
    He started to gun his engine along this four lane road with a concrete center divider. My initial reaction was to ignore him. But he kept at it. So a engage him. It wasn’t pretty. I lost in my rear view mirror after the second curve. When we finally came to a stop at a red light the Lanbo finally catches up I looked over and the young boy and driver looked distraught. They were all smiles when we started. 

If this is the downhill road that takes drivers from the 56 and other freeways into La Jolla, then that is also a fairly trafficky road and also not that smooth (for track oriented cars).  Maybe it's because I have some of the greatest driving roads in SoCal in my backyard, but that's not even a place I would think about drive too fast on frankly.  Maybe on the way home.  

Anyway, it is up to those choosing rear seats in their GT3 to drive responsibly or not.  My wife gets car sick very quickly in any kind of fast driving, so if I chose rear seats, it would only be so that we can take our dog on longer drives!

Then wife is sick and the dog!

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

wantone:
    RC:
    wantone:

In most of Europe it would be gone in a couple of weeks. In Toronto also sometimes they are stealing brand new cars from driveways as well but nobody cares since insurance is paying the car at full price and then we all pay huge insurance premiums.

That's why I"m interested in a Touring. It looks to 99.5% of the population just like any other 911 (and there are literally thousands of those in the Greater Toronto Area). A GT3 or RS with the wing, you're asking for trouble but a debadged Touring? I don't see an issue. I'd put it in winter storage but other than that I wouldn't be worried. It's just a car, it's not going to rust! And like I said, there are two 992 (a black GTS and a black C4) that street park on my block and two 991s that park within a block also on the street. Plus a couple of Cayennes, a 996, a couple of Boxters etc...

--

That underside bonnet image from the new 992 GT3 shows some nice details.  Looks like a rather complex piece of cf fabrication. 

CGX car nut:

That underside bonnet image from the new 992 GT3 shows some nice details.  Looks like a rather complex piece of cf fabrication. 

Yeah, I think they went to great lengths in designing it to crumple if you strike a pedestrian (I think that's the reason for the linear cuts around the oval openings)...

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Mithras:
    wantone:
    RC:
    wantone:

That's why I"m interested in a Touring. It looks to 99.5% of the population just like any other 911 (and there are literally thousands of those in the Greater Toronto Area). A GT3 or RS with the wing, you're asking for trouble but a debadged Touring? I don't see an issue. I'd put it in winter storage but other than that I wouldn't be worried. It's just a car, it's not going to rust! And like I said, there are two 992 (a black GTS and a black C4) that street park on my block and two 991s that park within a block also on the street. Plus a couple of Cayennes, a 996, a couple of Boxters etc...

--

btw all cars with steel parts will rust if you drive them in the Toronto winter. parking an expensive car outside in the Canadian winter? No thanks. It is just most people are leasing cars and they only keep them for a few years so they don't care. That's why everybody is looking for a California car when you want to buy an older car.

What do you think...is this a new Michelin Cup2 Spezification...I‘m not sure...NA0, NA1?

May be the 991 owners could also change to the new mixture...

Blueflame

874C54A6-01E6-42E0-BE60-07F38CB242F2.jpeg

A modern 911 will not rust if used and kept outside during a Canadian winter. There is a reason there is a 12 year corrosion warrantee on new Porsches. Daily driving a 911 during the winter in Canada will not hurt it in any way. My family has been doing just that for decades. 

Porsche started galvanizing their frames in the 1980's. Before that, yes they would rust but... So for an older car, yes you want something that has never seen salt and been in a dry enviroment but I"ve never seen a new Porsche rust in any way. A decade old Ford? Sure, maybe, but it will be off the road for other reasons long before rust. 

--

Mithras:

A modern 911 will not rust if used and kept outside during a Canadian winter. There is a reason there is a 12 year corrosion warrantee on new Porsches. Daily driving a 911 during the winter in Canada will not hurt it in any way. My family has been doing just that for decades. 

Porsche started galvanizing their frames in the 1980's. Before that, yes they would rust but... So for an older car, yes you want something that has never seen salt and been in a dry enviroment but I"ve never seen a new Porsche rust in any way. A decade old Ford? Sure, maybe, but it will be off the road for other reasons long before rust. 

12 year corrosion warrantee is for the painted panels only afaik and that doesn't mean they wont rust but if they do rust they will be repaired  under warranty.

In order for not seeing any rust all the bolts need to be something other than steel. What about subframe and suspension parts? Anything with steel over there it will rust.

That said, I wouldn't know for sure since someone need to examine all high mileage cars to figure out the condition.

A quick bagel diversion, as this is as good of a place as any, Food and Wine magazine just released an article today on the 50 best bagels in the United States.  https://www.foodandwine.com/travel/restaurants/best-bagels-america

CGX car nut:

A quick bagel diversion, as this is as good of a place as any, Food and Wine magazine just released an article today on the 50 best bagels in the United States.  https://www.foodandwine.com/travel/restaurants/best-bagels-america

Yum!  Those look good (I can attest that the Denver place is good)

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

wantone:
    Mithras:

12 year corrosion warrantee is for the painted panels only afaik and that doesn't mean they wont rust but if they do rust they will be repaired  under warranty.

In order for not seeing any rust all the bolts need to be something other than steel. What about subframe and suspension parts? Anything with steel over there it will rust.

That said, I wouldn't know for sure since someone need to examine all high mileage cars to figure out the condition.

My 997 has been sitting outside since I bought it in 2009. 12 years outside, summer and winter using it as a DD. Rain, sun, snow, salt. The outside looks perfect. The  carpet under the back window has been eaten from the sun and is now grey instead of black. I have not checked the bolts under the car but for the moment there is nothing to complain about. Sure some must be a bit rusted but nothing to worry about. As said, these objects are just cars and meant to be used without annoyance. 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

There is a massive difference between Toronto cold weather and Zurich or Geneva cold weather beleive it or not. Most people in Canada drive winter beaters because of that. That said if it was a cheap car yes I wouldn't care about rust but a GT3 or even a 991 GTS/C4S? It is just a pitty for the poor car to be driven in the winter and park outside.

PS obviously the real estate cost in huge in Switzerland and the same is true for London where people street park Ferrari FFs and lots of Porsches but there is more space in Canada and many warehouses available for storage plus the winter in on another level.

Actually it's about 4-5 degrees colder on average through the winter and 4-5 degrees warmer in the summer in Toronto vs Zurich and -5/6 colder and 6/7 warmer than Geneva. The shoulder seasons of April & October /November are identical. Geneva and especially Zurich get significantly more precipitation throughout the year.

We don't make igloos in Toronto, it's the same latitude as Nice.

Most people don't have winter beaters, there are years I actually didn't bother putting on my snow tires.

Toronto is one of the most expensive real estate markets in the world, not London expensive but not cheap. Old, low clear height, small bay industrial buildings transact at about $2,000 per square meter. And parking spaces under my office building go for $700/month.

--

Also the population density of Geneva is 2,030 per sq. Km vs Toronto at 4, 350.

The "Golden horseshoe" which is the greater, greater Toronto area (like Chicagoland) which is entirely urban has 9.5 million people. There is no "extra land". 

--

Mithras:

Also the population density of Geneva is 2,030 per sq. Km vs Toronto at 4, 350.

The "Golden horseshoe" which is the greater, greater Toronto area (like Chicagoland) which is entirely urban has 9.5 million people. There is no "extra land". 

I was reminded of the vast scale of Toronto when I flew into Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport a few years ago.  I was also reminded about the power of labor unions in North America when we needed to take a ferry for a few hundred meters to get to the Toronto mainland.  It took much longer to load the ferry than the entire trip.   

wantone:

There is a massive difference between Toronto cold weather and Zurich or Geneva cold weather beleive it or not. Most people in Canada drive winter beaters because of that. That said if it was a cheap car yes I wouldn't care about rust but a GT3 or even a 991 GTS/C4S? It is just a pitty for the poor car to be driven in the winter and park outside.

PS obviously the real estate cost in huge in Switzerland and the same is true for London where people street park Ferrari FFs and lots of Porsches but there is more space in Canada and many warehouses available for storage plus the winter in on another level.

Modern automobile constructions means there is no need for winter beater anymore as rust isn't a problem.

The current definition of 'winter beater' means something with AWD and snow tires. Leaving the RWD toys for nice summers. 

--

My 911 lives outside in the snow and salt, which half you will support and half will damn.  It is just a car.

Doesn't the GT3 save weight through loss of much of the undercarriage weatherproofing?  At least that's my recollection from a couple generations back.  If so, it's not a year rounder regardless, so we can return to bagels.

waiting for PDK:

My 911 lives outside in the snow and salt, which half you will support and half will damn.  It is just a car.

Doesn't the GT3 save weight through loss of much of the undercarriage weatherproofing?  At least that's my recollection from a couple generations back.  If so, it's not a year rounder regardless, so we can return to bagels.

I think that's only the CUP car now.

--

2018 White 911 GT3

My street queen right now:

057D5D25-EF48-4961-B2CB-C1B1E86045F0.jpeg

--

997.2 4S / BMW 745e / Donkervoort GT 

kiss

Mithras:

Actually it's about 4-5 degrees colder on average through the winter and 4-5 degrees warmer in the summer in Toronto vs Zurich and -5/6 colder and 6/7 warmer than Geneva. The shoulder seasons of April & October /November are identical. Geneva and especially Zurich get significantly more precipitation throughout the year.

We don't make igloos in Toronto, it's the same latitude as Nice.

Most people don't have winter beaters, there are years I actually didn't bother putting on my snow tires.

Toronto is one of the most expensive real estate markets in the world, not London expensive but not cheap. Old, low clear height, small bay industrial buildings transact at about $2,000 per square meter. And parking spaces under my office building go for $700/month.

We don't make igloos in Toronto, it's the same latitude as Nice?

You must be kidding, right? Toronto is one of the colder winters in the western world (comparing major cities). Winter of 2003 we were inside for 3 months straight (every day from -14 to -25) and negative temps every year until end of March,  in 2018 there was an ice storm in mid April.

Real estate used to be cheap but they pumped the values through tricks. Anyway, if you need to store a car it is not difficult in Toronto, there are many commercial units that you can use (just outside of the 416 area).

and probably you never visited Nice...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM