Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Propaganda and Bloggers

Are you good people taking note of all the stories appearing in the press about people being paid to write items on the web in blogs either in favor of something or against?

Re: Propaganda and Bloggers

please no politics here there is a bit of an unwritten (?) rule for that

if you want politics, sign up for rennlist and goto their off topic board, oh the arguments they have...

It doesn't have to be politics, 'propaganda' has multiple meanings

Holminator what are you referring to? There's a whole story with blogs and search engines influences...

Do you mean Viral Marketing?
    A lot of that going on, and we will be seeing a LOT more of that in the future.
    An board like this is an OBVIOUS place to do viral marketing.
    You probably wouldn't even notice if one of us were actually getting paid to promote certain views, cars, parts etc....unless they kept babbling on about the same topic.
    Their tactics are awfully sneaky.

For instance...I'm promoting Dr. Phil's new book "Turnip Truck Power Challenge-Be the best trucker you can be with the 7 keys to better turnip-truckin'"

I was not thinking about politics. Check my posts. I've never discussed politics and don't intend to, friend. I was thinking about people who log in here with bogus stories.

oh in that case, pleaes disregard what i said

yeah, many people make 'news' comments that are completely baseless.

just look at autospies.

WHY do people do it?

it comes down to this simple formula of the internet.

anonymity + audience = total moron.

It is nothing new that anonymity gives certain people a feeling of freedom, security and self-confidence. This is valid especially to people who might not be old, wealthy or important enough to be taken seriously in real life.
    So what comes in more handy than an anonymous place where a beggar can be king.
    What most of these people don't seem to understand: they're not as anonymous as they think they are and when they turn off their computer, real life catches them in it's grip again.

Yes, there are also people with a certain agenda posting on web forums. It may be advertising, it may be just a vicious mind or maybe the actions of a psychopath. Fact is: we have some posts here on the forum which sound somehow weird.
    But we, the editors, moderators and admins, cannot play police and we try to allow a certain level of freedom of speech, if we like it or not. As soon as we identify a post as a bogus post or a user as a bogus user, we do everything necessary to stop it. I'm afraid our success isn't too big though because we try to use the "unless it is 100% proven" doubt thing.

And a last thing worth mentioning: people who post bogus "my car is broken/my car is crap" stuff may face a serious legal problem sooner or later. Porsche monitors this forums on a regular basis (I won't tell you guys how many users are registered from a Porsche IP address...you'll be surprised ) and I don't think they stand still if somebody posts bogus problems/issues with his (maybe) not existing car.

We have more than 6 million page hits per month, our daily average is 204000(!). This means that a lot of people read this forum and this is why the information flow on this forum has to be taken seriously by car manufacturers.
    They can't and won't ignore bogus posts, just as a reminder to some people who think they can have some "cheap" fun at the cost of us all.

The internet has revolutionized the way of communication, it has revolutionized the way of doing commerce. And unfortunately it has also given a lot of new opportunities for crimes and crazy stuff. Everybody using the internet should be fully aware of that, this is no kiddy play zone but a dangerous place if not used right. Amen.

Well said RC!

Quote:
    RC said:
    Yes, there are also people with a certain agenda posting on web forums. It may be advertising, it may be just a vicious mind or maybe the actions of a psychopath. Fact is: we have some posts here on the forum which sound somehow weird.

I can't see a car manufacturer going after someone unless they believed it was a very sophisticated and coordinated effort. The risks are far too great. In a sense, doing so only tends to give publicity, and possibly even lend creditability, to the issue. Plus, PAG's current stance of never commenting publicly on anything said on these forums pretty much paints them into a corner.

As for policing and effectiveness, the nice thing about this board is that most people coming here are relatively sophisticated. When someone posts a derogatory comment it is almost immediately followed by questions from other attempting to discern the fact. Fabricated claims just do not stand up to this sort of deep analysis.

Finally, we all tend to develop reputations here and on other boards. I think we all tend to keep note of what various people say and how well thought out their comments and arguments are. If someone unknown to us posts something that appears strange then we probably aren't going to give it much credit. On the other hand, if someone who has always provided good information and who's opinions we respect posts something then we are likely to give that comment a lot more creditability.

So there really is no anonymity - not even here. In fact, the situation in this virtual world is no different to the one we find out in the real world. They are really one and the same.

Stephen

Quote:
    FixedWing said:
    I can't see a car manufacturer going after someone unless they believed it was a very sophisticated and coordinated effort. The risks are far too great. In a sense, doing so only tends to give publicity, and possibly even lend creditability, to the issue. Plus, PAG's current stance of never commenting publicly on anything said on these forums pretty much paints them into a corner.
    Stephen

I can't imagine this either. Nice scare tactic though

I agree with the rest of your comments. Between moderators and the community's ability at large to ferret out bogus threads I think it does a pretty good job of things.

The general consensus; in many ways the internet is the same as the real world. In some ways it differs. These resemblances and differenties provid possibilities for both sincere people and criminals/not so sincere people. Conclusion is that just in the real world, you have to take care with what you say, and do not believe everything that is said by others. Once you know that, you're ready to surf!
    -Joost-

Has anyone ever proved that there has been a significant bogus story on the site?
    The mere fact that someone did not come back with a VIN number or whatever does not prove anything. If I had had a disastrous experience with a product the last thing I would want to do would be to keep returning to a website full of enthusiasts for it.
    I have seen some very nasty judgements about others on this site and I think we all ought to stick to the "innocent until proved guilty" approach, with the emphasis on "proved".

Quote:
    KenH said:
    Has anyone ever proved that there has been a significant bogus story on the site?
    The mere fact that someone did not come back with a VIN number or whatever does not prove anything. If I had had a disastrous experience with a product the last thing I would want to do would be to keep returning to a website full of enthusiasts for it.
    I have seen some very nasty judgements about others on this site and I think we all ought to stick to the "innocent until proved guilty" approach, with the emphasis on "proved".

You make a good point. The RMS problem in the 997 has now proven to be true. One poster even scan his repair order to prove his 997 was afflicted with RMS. Now is that a reason why someone should not buy a 997? Each person must decide.

Active participants on any website tend to exaggerate the importance of the site and its impact on substantive buying decisions. A website is useful for secondary information and opinion regarding a product.

Quote:
    nberry said:The RMS problem in the 997 has now proven to be true. One poster even scan his repair order to prove his 997 was afflicted with RMS. Now is that a reason why someone should not buy a 997? Each person must decide.

Nick, why do you always twist the truth, are you a lawyer by any chance?

What RMS problem is "proven" to be true? "One poster"... you mean THE poster. There is only one. You make its seem like there is a rainfall of RMS leaks on the 997. Lets all keep to the facts and we'll do all each other a favor. The re is only one reported RMS leak so far, period. Until more show up that is all we can say about the issue, it proves nothing, but doesn't mean we will certainly keep an eye on this to see if we start seeing more to be able to conclude anything. Personally I'm not betting on the issue being resolved in the 997, but lets keep to the facts and not destort them for personal interests and agenda's.

Nicky, logically speaking, what's true for part may not be true for the whole so I still think it is premature to conclude based on one datum that all 997s may be subject to the RMS issue. That one datum also incudes an assumption that the repair shop correctly identified the problem. I think I need more data before I conclude the RMS issue continues with the 997.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689583 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409237 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255745 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234995 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65524 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4648 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857992 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774045 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM