Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Hey Nick, was that you I was following?

Drove down to Torrey Pines/La Jolla on Sunday and on the way back, I decided to take Ortega Hwy (a nice driving mountain pass) from the Lake Elsinore side. At the stop sign, before you go on the highway, a new yellow Ferarri 360 was in front of me. So the two of us decided to make a brisk drive to the other side. Even with my standard 997, I had no problem staying with the 360, even though I have only 2000 miles experience with a 911. Give me another 1000 miles of experience, and I will beat the 360 the next time.

Re: Hey Nick, was that you I was following?

Quote:
    vtrader said:
    Drove down to Torrey Pines/La Jolla on Sunday and on the way back, I decided to take Ortega Hwy (a nice driving mountain pass) from the Lake Elsinore side. At the stop sign, before you go on the highway, a new yellow Ferarri 360 was in front of me. So the two of us decided to make a brisk drive to the other side. Even with my standard 997, I had no problem staying with the 360, even though I have only 2000 miles experience with a 911. Give me another 1000 miles of experience, and I will beat the 360 the next time.

nope, not nick

Quote:
    vtrader said:

Not me. How do you know the 360 was making an effort?

A few months ago a guy in a standard 996 with two girls in the car pulled alongside of me and accelerated. I decided to stay right next to him as he worked feverishly shifting through 2nd 3rd and 4th (quite poorly) which I found very amusing. The women also were enjoying it though they were watching me and had that look in their eyes saying I wish I was in HIS car.

I made no effort to go by him though I had plenty of power to do so. I am sure he probably bragged to his girl and other friends that he either beat or stayed with a Ferrari(just as you are doing). It is understandable since it is a badge of honor to do so.

Quote:
    nberry said:The women also were enjoying it though they were watching me and had that look in their eyes saying I wish I was in HIS car.

I made no effort to go by him though I had plenty of power to do so. I am sure he probably bragged to his girl and other friends that he either beat or stayed with a Ferrari(just as you are doing). It is understandable since it is a badge of honor to do so.

Boy, and some Ferrari owners complain that Ferrari owners in general are getting stuck with a "certain" image... were is that photo of the Ferrari parked at the clinic?

I would love to see you here in souther Europe instead of the San Diego Highways, getting "humbled" by a Clio V6 or Boxster on a winding road were its not the HP on bursts of straight-line acceleration with an auto box but the driver thats counts.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:The women also were enjoying it though they were watching me and had that look in their eyes saying I wish I was in HIS car.

Boy, and some Ferrari owners complain that Ferrari owners in general are getting stuck with a "certain" image... were is that photo of the Ferrari parked at the clinic?

I would love to see you here in souther Europe instead of the San Diego Highways, getting "humbled" by a Clio V6 or Boxster on a winding road were its not the HP on bursts of straight-line acceleration with an auto box but the driver thats counts.

The truth hurts.Grind your teeth, let out a yell and get over it.

BTW, why is it you assume I do not know how to drive a car? Is it because I do not boast (like many on this board) how great of a driver I am? Or is it because I choose not to drive a Porsche because I do not consider myself a wannabe W. Roehl like a million deluded Porsche owners do?

Calors and Nick, the never endind love story!
    You guys are great, so much better than any sitcom on TV!
    Whenever an argument starts between you guys, I just know it's gonna be very entertaining.
    About this one, I can see everyone's point of view.
    But I think you guys appreciate different things in a car.
    Carlito is all about performance and logically turns to Porsche.
    I could be wrong but I think you're the kinda of guy who wouldn't mind driving a Japanese car if it were better performing than a 911 for example.
    Nick is more homogeneous (in one word ).
    He is more into a car experience as a whole, it's gotta have a soul, a badge, a beauty, a noise, etc. Hence, the Ferrari makes perfect sense.
    I must admit I'm more of a Nick kinda guy, well, I drive a cab , but performance and historical heritage are also very important to me.
    But because I know that my driving ability won't be able to extract 100% potential of a sports car, I also like the image, the noise, etc etc etc.
    Truth is, it's been discussed a zillion times, you can't have a Ferrari Porsche contest, you can't compare a Ferrari to anything else really, I'm talking as a car here, not on performance (that's another story) because Ferrari has the aura that other brands simply don't have.
    That aura applies to the general public here.
    But please, Carlos and Nick, I diverged too much here, please, carry on!

Awesome, im glad you had some fun testing the capabilties of your new 997 on a Fcar :P

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:

BTW, why is it you assume I do not know how to drive a car? Is it because I do not boast (like many on this board) how great of a driver I am? Or is it because I choose not to drive a Porsche because I do not consider myself a wannabe W. Roehl like a million deluded Porsche owners do?

1* the truth should hurt you not me

2* I didn't assume you didn't know how to drive, I never met you, would it matter if you did or did not? but the use you give to the F-car and the kick you get from straight-line roll on races with the auto-shift you have boasted about several times already is certainly revealing. All I said that you would be a little more humble about racing if you were on a mountain road around here and you met some of the "schooled" drivers around and what they could do with "lesser" sportcars in the corners. In other words, the car doesn't make the driver Nick, flooring it on a auto F-car on a roll on race on a straight piece of highway doesn't ahow anything about the driver and is no "honor" to any of the contendants, and certainly doesn't make the ladies wish they were in your car and if they did, they are not the type you would like to hang out with

3* Good drivers drive Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, Lotus, TVR, etc. indiscriminately. Don't generalise with Porsche drivers either, I certainly don't generalise on all Ferrari drivers based on you, but comments like "The women also were enjoying it though they were watching me and had that look in their eyes saying I wish I was in HIS car. " certainly don't help the Ferrari image

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Calors and Nick, the never endind love story!

Out of these Rennteam members, which would you say is me when Nick posts one of his jewels?

I have always said, that sparks always go off between Nick and I, we are just completely opposed ends, but I value in Nick that you can always argue, tease or joke with him but its always in a civilised manner, we don't disrespect each other, and thats something I really appreciate. Deep deep deeeeep inside even like like him a little bit

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    .. you can't have a Ferrari Porsche contest, you can't compare a Ferrari to anything else really, I'm talking as a car here, not on performance (that's another story) because Ferrari has the aura that other brands simply don't have.

Why not Fanch? These days I think you can compare both performance and aura. It is almost as if as Ferrari has gained in real-world performance, so has it lost some of that aura of being unique.

Stephen

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    ...Deep deep deeeeep inside even like like him a little bit

Carlos...does your wife know?

Yes, Nick surely is a pain in the a.. but he brought it to perfection and it would be boring without him over here.
    I just wish all provoking posts were in the same civilized manner...unfortunatley not everybody seems to have a common sense and a good education. And yes, I mean that seriously.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    vtrader said:

A few months ago a guy in a standard 996 with two girls in the car pulled alongside of me and accelerated. I decided to stay right next to him as he worked feverishly shifting through 2nd 3rd and 4th (quite poorly) which I found very amusing. The women also were enjoying it though they were watching me and had that look in their eyes saying I wish I was in HIS car.

Confession without repentance is just bragging. Thanks for stirring the pot a little, Nicky. It needs to be done from time-to-time.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:

Wolf tickets being sold by Nicky. The 997 and F360 are not so different. This is really about p@#i$ size IMHO.

360 Modena

The 360 is available with an F1 semi-automatic gearbox controlled by "paddles" mounted on the steering wheel
    The 360's V8 engine is visible under a glass cover[edit]
    Description
    Intended as successor to the F355, the 360 Modena features styling by Pininfarina, significant weight reduction, and an improved mid-mounted V8 engine; it is the first production Ferrari to be constructed entirely of aluminum. Its six-speed gearbox is available as a manual or F1 electrohydraulic shift. The car went into production in 1999.

[edit]
    Specifications
    [edit]
    Dimensions
    Overall length: 4,477 mm (176.3 in)
    Overall width: 1,922 mm (75.7 in)
    Height: 1,214 mm (46.6 in)
    Wheelbase: 2,600 mm (102.3 in)
    Front track: 1,669 mm (65.7 in)
    Rear track: 1,617 mm (63.6 in)
    Weight: 1,290 kg (2,844 lb)
    Kerb weight: 1,390 kg (3,064 lb)
    Weight distribution: 43/57% front/rear
    Fuel capacity: 95 L (25.1 US gal)
    [edit]
    Engine
    No. of cylinders: 90* V8
    Bore & stroke: 85 by 79 mm (3.34 by 3.11in)
    Unit displacement: 448.2 cc (27.36 in3)
    Total displacement: 3,586 cc (218.84 in3)
    Maximum power: 294 kW (400 bhp) @ 8,500 rpm
    Maximum torque: 373 Nm (275.6 lb.ft) @ 4,750 rpm
    [edit]
    Performance
    Maximum speed: over 295 km/h (183 mph)
    0 to 100 km/h (62 mph): 4.5 s
    0 to 400 m: 12.6 s
    0 to 1,000 m: 22.9 s

Re: Hey Nick, Its obvious the Ferrari lost

The girls in the 996 didnt jump ship did they?

Its good to be able to carry a "spare" in the back seat.

Quote:
    Fanch said:

He is more into a car experience as a whole, it's gotta have a soul, a badge, a beauty, a noise, etc. Hence, the Ferrari makes perfect sense.
    I must admit I'm more of a Nick kinda guy, well, I drive a cab , but performance and historical heritage are also very important to me.
    But because I know that my driving ability won't be able to extract 100% potential of a sports car, I also like the image, the noise, etc etc etc.
    Truth is, it's been discussed a zillion times, you can't have a Ferrari Porsche contest, you can't compare a Ferrari to anything else really, I'm talking as a car here, not on performance (that's another story) because Ferrari has the aura that other brands simply don't have.
    That aura applies to the general public here.

Fanch you summed it up perfectly! I have been trying to say that for over 3 years. However I would never compare a Ferrari to a Porsche. It would be like comparing a Mustang or GTO to a Porsche. Doing so would be an insult to Porsche.

As for Carlos and RC, I have nothing but the greatest respect/admiration for their opinions and knowledge on cars. Certainly on techical matters they dwarf my knowledge. However, as it is with most rabid Porsche enthusiast, the bias is so deep they feel it is necessary to defend the brand even to the point of their own detriment.

I loved Porsche when I bought my 996 Cab. But they violated my trust, not by what they did to me in particular, but to all of us who placed our faith in this company.It became a greedy profit driven company not at all concerned about the value of the marque but the value of the P&L statement. When companies reach that point, customers suffer.

Finally,if either RC or Carlos were in the La Jolla area, it would be my privilege to invite them to my humble abode for a day and evening of good food, drink and car talk.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Fanch you summed it up perfectly! I have been trying to say that for over 3 years. However I would never compare a Ferrari to a Porsche. It would be like comparing a Mustang or GTO to a Porsche. Doing so would be an insult to Porsche.

I always find it funny how often Nick and I agree. Maybe there is a reason for that?

But I don't agree on this point. Cars in general have come a long way. And especially, Porsche's competition - be it Ford or Ferrari - has done a great deal of catching up. I think today it is quite reasonable to compare all of these cars.

What's more, I think we are all the beneficiaries of this.

Stephen

Carlos & RC, take a food tester with you.

Quote:
    nberry said:

Hey Nick,

I knew it was not you because I think you have a red one plus this guy seemed old. It was interesting that I had a girl in the car and the 360 driver was alone. Do Ferrari drivers have a problem with closing the deal?

Since I was on Ortega Highway, I did have the advantage of following him because of all the blind curves it has. I just enjoyed the sprint up the mountain, I was more interested in the driving part than who was faster.

I was also amazed that I saw a Ferrrari out in the middle of nowhere. In all my years of driving, I have never ever seen a Ferrari outside the cities. I just thought that this guy must really love his Ferrari and loves to drive it because he did put some miles on his car that day. No garage queen for him, just a true Ferrari enthusiast.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Is it because I do not boast (like many on this board) how great of a driver I am?

There are drivers, good drivers, and track drivers. A track driver in a Clio might leave you for dust even if you're a very good driver. Maybe you're a hot shoe, but since you've mentioned the value of your Ferrari more than your track days in it, I somehow doubt you're a track driver.

One caveat though. Unfortunately just because you go to the track, doesn't mean you're a great driver. But I think once you've caught the real track bug, you're out there to learn and improve, not just play like the poseurs. And of course, there are poseurs who drive all marques.

You are at one extreme end of the driver type, but it's not Nick at the other end, I am sure he knows how to drive a little bit. At the other is, or rather are... Ron and me!
    You should read our private email,
    Yeah but what about the noise?
    Oh, but how many head will I turn? Etc etc etc
    If you see two guys in a couple of weeks in a black 996 cruising the streets of Houston at 35 mph (yeah, we like being bad boys, always above the speed limit) that's us!!!
    Oh and just for own sake, Ron is the one with the cap, yes, poor guy, he has no hair...
    Seriously though, good point, different drivers, different arguments.
    Fixed wing, I agree with you, all I meant is that Ferrari will always have that edge about aura, for example posters in kid's room and things like that, Lamborghini is also like that to a certain extend. People turn their heads when they see a Murcielago on the streets, not a 997, and that's fine for most people.

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    You are at one extreme end of the driver type... At the other is, or rather are... Ron and me!
    Fixed wing, I agree with you, all I meant is that Ferrari will always have that edge about aura...

No Franch, at the other extreme are all of the idiots who actually believe that they could give Mario Andretti a run for his money because now they drive a fast car. You, sir, are safe and sane and that puts you squarely with the minority in the middle.

As for Ferrari and aura ... it's a Fiat. Get over it. Hahahaha

Stephen

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Oh and just for own sake, Ron is the one with the cap, yes, poor guy, he has no hair...

FYI, the cap is to reduce the reflection on the windshield for driving purposes only , nothing more nothing less .

"The women also were enjoying it though they were watching me and had that look in their eyes saying I wish I was in HIS car" But there ain't enough room!

Is it just me, or is it that you can't swing a dead cat in this room without hitting the massive egos here?

Okay, I was driving down route 210 today and matching the speed of a CGT gear for gear up to 110 mph. The CGT had a beautiful blonde woman, who was watching me the whole time, wishing she knew for sure whether or not I was wearing a toupee and a glass eye. Oh yeah, I know what your thinking. She wanted me because being fat means I have lots of money. I decided to show the better part of valor and I let the CGT win. Yeah, I know; I'm classy.

I think the guy wanted me too, but ummm, let's not go there.

Your pal,
    Stud Muffins

Quote:
    nberry said:
    I loved Porsche when I bought my 996 Cab. But they violated my trust, not by what they did to me in particular, but to all of us who placed our faith in this company.It became a greedy profit driven company not at all concerned about the value of the marque but the value of the P&L statement.

Let's see how Ferrari does with their P&L once they're a public company (see other thread about them spinning off Maserati in preparation for an IPO). When you have to please the street, many things change. If they don't please the street, their stock price will suffer and they'll be ripe for a takeover from perhaps........GM? Or will Ford have their revenge and acquire the company?

Out of curiousity, how much pro bono work do you do for your clients?

Hypocrisy can be so ironic.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    I loved Porsche when I bought my 996 Cab. But they violated my trust, not by what they did to me in particular, but to all of us who placed our faith in this company.It became a greedy profit driven company not at all concerned about the value of the marque but the value of the P&L statement.

Was that before, or after you bought the Cayenne? (you know, that porsche truck?)

Quote:
    Holminator said:
    Is it just me, or is it that you can't swing a dead cat in this room without hitting the massive egos here?

Where there are exotic cars there are often exotic personalities.

Quote:
    FixedWing said:
    Quote:
    Fanch said:
    .. you can't have a Ferrari Porsche contest, you can't compare a Ferrari to anything else really, I'm talking as a car here, not on performance (that's another story) because Ferrari has the aura that other brands simply don't have.

Why not Fanch? These days I think you can compare both performance and aura. It is almost as if as Ferrari has gained in real-world performance, so has it lost some of that aura of being unique.

Stephen

Spend a bit of time in Monte Carlo, and you will soon notice how the big mercs, porsches etc are standing all alone while small crowds are posing for a picture around nearly every Ferrari. A 348 actually "beat" a yellow Gemballa in terms of public attention the last time I visited .. It doesn't say much about how good the cars are, but Ferrari is definitively a unique brand.

Quote:
    elysium said:

Spend a bit of time in Monte Carlo, and you will soon notice how the big mercs, porsches etc are standing all alone while small crowds are posing for a picture around nearly every Ferrari. A 348 actually "beat" a yellow Gemballa in terms of public attention the last time I visited .. It doesn't say much about how good the cars are, but Ferrari is definitively a unique brand.

I do not think its because it unique, but so rare that you see one. Porsches can be seen everywhere, the same with Merecedes. But Ferrari? Hardly ever do I see one in the street. I see maybe a thousand Mercedes for every Porsche I see and maybe a thousand Porsches for every Ferrari I have seen. So I think that it not so much a unique brand but a very rare brand. Even I who loves Porsche would gawk at a Ferrari if I ever get the chance to actually see one on the street.

Quote:
    FelixC said:
    Quote:
    elysium said:

I do not think its because it unique, but so rare that you see one. Porsches can be seen everywhere, the same with Merecedes. But Ferrari? Hardly ever do I see one in the street. I see maybe a thousand Mercedes for every Porsche I see and maybe a thousand Porsches for every Ferrari I have seen. So I think that it not so much a unique brand but a very rare brand. Even I who loves Porsche would gawk at a Ferrari if I ever get the chance to actually see one on the street.

Believe me it is definitely not rare in Monte Carlo

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    775917 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441008 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262381 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260567 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84972 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5450 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880038 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815010 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM