Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 992 GT3

nberry:

Hi Grant. I’m told little over 10% of RS owners track their cars. Hopefully, Porsche understands this and doesn’t design the RS to look like a car strictly for track use and not for use on public streets.

Were you told this by the local San Diego dealer? It's certainly not true on a worldwide basis.  The most recent metric I heard was that over 80% of all GT3's had been driven on the track (RS should be more).

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

nberry:
    Grant:
    nberry:
    DaveGordon:

Whoa! Huge flares on the front wings.. did they put a lot more rubber on the front?

I thought all Cup cars are styled that way.Smiley 

I decided I have no interest in the 992GT3 but seriously considering the 992RS. Hopefully, the flared front wings are not part of the RS design.Smiley

Nick - the next RS is going to be very extreme (including looks).  If you find the fender flares too garish, you may want to reconsider (they will be some of the more subtle features, if included).

Maybe the car you should order is the 50th Anniversary Carrera RS or the rumored model just called 911 GT (don’t know much about this, except it’s meant to be more road focused than track).

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Hi Grant. I’m told little over 10% of RS owners track their cars. Hopefully, Porsche understands this and doesn’t design the RS to look like a car strictly for track use and not for use on public streets. 

Btw, did you notice in the picture the car parked on the left with the swan neck wing has the exhaust pipes separated as opposed to being together. Is that the plan for the 992 GT3?

The Cayman GT4 RS?

nberry:

More like 90% of the RS spend their life on track. So your 10% is largely under evaluated. GT3 is a road car ready for track where 80% of them see track at some point in their life and GT3RS are track car ready for the road. I think you missed something in the ad.

Btw, did you notice in the picture the car parked on the left with the swan neck wing has the exhaust pipes separated as opposed to being together. Is that the plan for the 992 GT3?

typical to GT4 only

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:
    nberry:

More like 90% of the RS spend their life on track. So your 10% is largely under evaluated. GT3 is a road car ready for track where 80% of them see track at some point in their life and GT3RS are track car ready for the road. I think you missed something in the ad.

In my neighborhood it seems that more and more just use their potential track weapons as DD for sunny cruises to the office...Smiley

d997h:
    the-missile:
    nberry:

In my neighborhood it seems that more and more just use their potential track weapons as DD for sunny cruises to the office...Smiley

Sorta like using a vintage Samurai sword to butter your toast Smiley

--

Grant:
    d997h:

Sorta like using a vintage Samurai sword to butter your toast Smiley

Smiley RPG to kill a fly.

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

A few years ago, Porsche estimated 80%of their GT cars are tracked. There aren’t any accurate numbers. Given the cost of the GT models, the unavailability of tracks, cost of special track insurance and Porsche’s requirements to maintain its warranty before tracking the car, I think the number is significantly below 50%.

FWIW, there is a substantial difference between a dedicated track car and hybrid use GT cars. I think GT owners are beginning to understand this and not track their cars.

--

The purpose of life is to enjoy the moment.

I did a survey and it turned out that 100% of my GT3's are tracked - that must mean all GT3's are tracked?

Sounds to me as if he's trying to convince himself that most GT/RS aren't tracked to justify his ownership. 

Why buy an GT3/RS if you don't use it properly? I've never understood this. For example, what's the appeal or the benefit of now having a double wishbone suspension instead of McPherson if you don't track the car yes 

--

2018 White 911 GT3

Gauss:

Sounds to me as if he's trying to convince himself that most GT/RS aren't tracked to justify his ownership. 

Why buy an GT3/RS if you don't use it properly? I've never understood this. For example, what's the appeal or the benefit of now having a double wishbone suspension instead of McPherson if you don't track the car yes 

.... that's pretty easy ... at least for the Touring version : Look of classic understatement 911 + sound of real sports car ... means perfect for all-day use

--

-----------------------------------

the-missile:
    nberry:

typical to GT4 only

I don't know about the US or UAE but in Germany, I'd say less than 50%. Smiley I am talking about some serious track time, not some driving ed events from Porsche or other third party companies. Even worse with the GT3 (not RS). My dealer usually notices by brake pads/discs wear and calipers color, also tire wear. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

RC:
    the-missile:
    nberry:

typical to GT4 only

I don't know about the US or UAE but in Germany, I'd say less than 50%. Smiley I am talking about some serious track time, not some driving ed events from Porsche or other third party companies. Even worse with the GT3 (not RS). My dealer usually notices by brake pads/discs wear and calipers color, also tire wear. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

As we will most probably see today, Porsche will make the new GT3 even more drivable as DD - in Germany, there is a tendency, that mostly the „younger“ generations may get a GT3 for fun, but less for the track...on the other hand, does this really matter as long as you can drive Porsches to the office on weekdays and enjoy tracks on weekends...?Smiley

d997h:
    on the other hand, does this really matter as long as you can drive Porsches to the office on weekdays and enjoy tracks on weekends...?Smiley

I agree 100% with you. It is up to each and everyone how they use the car.

(But at the same time by not going to a track you loose out on an amazing experience.)

***** 2021 Porsche 911 GT3 - Official Launch: Specifications, Photos, Video ***** 

0B9F4127-6868-4592-B1C4-0E4518522528.jpeg

B0A2C9ED-43B1-4A32-8D77-818957D83768.jpeg

3FBAFD76-0E86-477C-AF62-C839448C262E.jpeg

0B8ADBF6-7F3A-463E-A006-2715A81EA003.jpeg

B4AEA025-A362-4C35-BFA6-27A421582F5D.jpeg

6C81193A-F0E0-4523-B1CE-0F000B269E89.jpeg

35140186-9E78-41AD-A534-9FAB9F06B231.jpeg

EFD9D93B-246F-430D-B415-9B8DC744FBE9.jpeg

8A0B9EC2-8892-4740-98E9-C86B1B5CB92E.jpeg

81D7393D-7911-4A21-AEB2-25223900A7F3.jpeg

FC8B1B3B-37A3-4147-B6CA-68B06CDAC100.png

89DA8C55-3E69-4318-BD2B-F27FFEA71B25.png

3E3117D2-5C9E-466A-8B64-5F8FC1E199F5.png

EE61AD9B-60E0-4472-8708-23A22FE550F0.png

Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smyPBpeHexU

Smiley

Thanks!

Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 R

.................Porsche 991.2 GT2 RS MR: 6:40.33 (20,6Km)
    ......Mercedes-AMG GT Black Series: 6:43.62 (20,6Km)
    .............Lamborghini Aventador SVJ: 6:44.97 (20,6Km)
    ........................Porsche 991.2 GT2 RS: 6:47.30 (20,6Km)
    ......Mercedes-AMG GT Black Series: 6:48.05 (20,831Km)
    .Lamborghini Huracán Performante: 6:52.01 (20,6Km)
    ..................................Porsche 992 GT3: 6:55.20 (20,6Km) <<<<< 992 GT3
    ........................Porsche 991.2 GT3 RS: 6:56.40 (20,6Km)
    ............................Porsche 918 Spyder: 6:57.00 (20,6Km)
    Lamborghini Aventador LP750-4 SV: 6:59.73 (20,6Km)
    ..................................Porsche 992 GT3: 6:59.93 (20,831Km) <<<<< 992 GT3

A considerable improvement of Ring time over the 991. But still slower than the 991 RS.

--

6C81193A-F0E0-4523-B1CE-0F000B269E89.jpeg

What are your opinions on the dashboard in the 992? I dislike it, but not 100% sure why. Too flat maybe? If the screen was oriented a little bit more toward the driver, maybe that would help? It looks both modern (in that it's highly digital) and retro at the same time. Doesn't work for me at least. Smiley

- PRESS RELEASE -

New Porsche 911 GT3 revs up its track-bred expertise

5621E595-3608-47C5-90AB-0D4E24CDCE08.jpeg

High-performance sports car with track-bred suspension and highly efficient aerodynamics...

(16 February 2021)

Great Britain. Porsche today unveils its new 911 GT3, the latest model in a revered series of the iconic, rear-engine, two-door coupe that brings technology from the race circuit to the street, and offers a highly athletic road car fit for high performance driving on track balanced with the demands of everyday use.

Developed in close collaboration with Porsche Motorsport, the new 911 GT3 transfers pure racing technology into a production model more consistently than ever before. The double wishbone front axle layout and sophisticated aerodynamics with swan neck rear wing and striking diffuser originate from the successful GT race car 911 RSR, and the 510 PS (375 kW) four-litre, six-cylinder ‘boxer’ engine is based on the drivetrain of the 911 GT3 R, tried and tested in endurance racing. The acoustic high-revving engine is also used practically unchanged in the new 911 GT3 Cup racer. The result is a brilliant driving machine: efficient and emotive, precise and high performing – perfect for the circuit and yet with characteristic everyday usability.

The distinctive strength of the 911 GT3 lies in the sum of its characteristics. With a top speed of 199 mph (198 mph with PDK) it is even faster than the previous 911 GT3 RS. It accelerates from zero to 62 mph in 3.4 seconds. Porsche also offers the new model with a six-speed manual transmission for a particularly pure driving experience. The sophisticated aerodynamics benefit from experience gained in motor sport; a significantly higher level of downforce is generated without noticeably affecting the drag coefficient. In the performance position, the manually adjusted wing and diffuser elements further increase the aerodynamic downforce for high cornering speeds. This is reserved, however, strictly for outings on the circuit as it is there that the 911 GT3 can play all its trump cards. 

During final testing, it lapped the Nürburgring-Nordschleife, traditionally the ultimate proving ground for all sports cars developed by Porsche, over 17 seconds quicker than its predecessor. Development driver Lars Kern took just 6:59.927 minutes for a full 20.8-kilometre lap. The shorter 20.6-kilometre track, which had previously served as a benchmark, was completed by the 911 GT3 in 6:55.2 minutes. Running on the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 R tyres offered as an option, the new model consistently delivered its performance over several laps in the expert hands of Porsche brand ambassador Jörg Bergmeister. For Bergmeister, it is "by far the best production car" that the experienced professional race driver has ever driven in the "Green Hell".

Featuring a wider body, larger wheels and additional technical features compared to the prior model, the weight of the new GT3 is nevertheless on a par with its predecessor. With a manual gearbox, it weighs 1,418 kg, with PDK 1,435 kg. The front bonnet made of carbon fibre-reinforced plastic (CFRP), lightweight glass windows, optimised brake discs and forged light-alloy wheels ensure weight discipline, as does the cover for the rear seat compartment. The lightweight sports exhaust system reduces the weight by no less than ten kilograms. With infinitely electrically adjustable exhaust flaps, it orchestrates a highly emotive sound experience with the Euro 6d ISC FCM (EU6 AP) emissions standard. The Combined fuel consumption of the 911 GT3 is 21.9 – 21.7 mpg, equivalent to 304 – 283 g/km CO2.

The racing genes of the 911 GT3 express themselves in practically every detail. The cockpit is in line with the current model generation, yet with a new feature highlight; the track screen. At the touch of a button, it reduces the digital displays to the left and right of the central rev counter, which scrolls round to 10,000 rpm, to information such as tyre pressure indicator, oil pressure, oil temperature, fuel tank level and water temperature, which are essential when driving on the circuit. It also includes a visual shift assistant with coloured bars to the left and right of the rev counter and a shift light derived from Motorsport.

With Porsche GT models, more and more customers desire individual equipment options to further personalise their choice of car. The Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur range is therefore also available for the new 911 GT3, supplemented by GT3-specific options such as a lightweight roof made of exposed carbon fibre. Other highlights include exterior mirror tops made of carbon, darkened LED matrix main headlights and matching Exclusive design rear lights with an arc of light with no red components. Guards Red or Shark Blue painted wheel rims enhance the black alloy wheels. Inside the cockpit, equipment details such as the dials for the rev counter and Sport Chrono stopwatch, seat belts and trim strips set elegant accents in the body colour or other desired colour. 

The new Porsche 911 GT3 is on sale from today priced from £123,100.00 RRP*. First deliveries are set for May 2021.

Customers will also be invited to explore the potential of their new car, and further develop their own skills behind the wheel, by participating in a bespoke driving experience around the unique tracks at the Porsche Experience Centre, Silverstone.

As exclusive as the 911 GT3 itself is the individual chronograph offered by Porsche Design to customers of the high-performance sports car. Like its road-going inspiration, the timepiece boasts a dynamic design, consistent performance and high-quality workmanship. Its housing reflects its Motorsport genes. Just like the connecting rods of the GT3 engine, it consists of robust, lightweight titanium. Furthermore, the timepiece is powered by an individual winding rotor reminiscent of the wheels of the 911 GT3, and the coloured ring of the dial can be customised in the paint colours of the car.

Press Release: https://press.porsche.co.uk/prod/presse_pag/PressResources.nsf/Content?ReadForm&languageversionid=1178971

Smiley

Comparing like to like (20.6km version of Ring lap), the new GT3 is 1.2 sec faster than 991.2 GT3 RS:

https://fastestlaps.com/tracks/nordschleife

I think new GT3 is first to lap with new longer lap (20.8km) where it just beats 7 min, but with old lap configuration if was 6:55...

Both using Cup R tires (but GT3 has 10mm narrower tires front and rear).

--

In the frame of what was expected. The car looks good from the side and front. Probably less from the back. 

Performance gain is in line with what has been done before , new GT3 matches old RS. 

I agree about the cockpit. It does not looks very sporty. It looks good in a Grand Tourisme. 

I wonder how much more ''confortable'' the car has become.

I would probably like it as a Touring

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

Now Nberry is going to be depressed. The little GT3 Faster than 991.2 GT3RS on the ring indecision

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

I don’t care that the it’s faster than the RS. It’s faster than the Porsche million dollar car the 918. I don’t have any interest in the 992 GT3. I’m not crazy about it’s styling. I’ll  wait for the RS.kiss

--

and as expected base price in France 170KE...outch!

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

First impression, l don’t like the front, it looks unfinished and a bit boring...

d997h:

First impression, l don’t like the front, it looks unfinished and a bit boring...

+1

The wing is standing out too, while the interior looks like a standard 911. Somehow the car does not feel as homogeneous as the previous GT3 models. More like parts glued on to a base Carrera. Have to see it live.

--

2016 Porsche 981 GT4 | Racing Yellow
    2018 Audi S6 Avant | Ibis White

I think it looks great 

Enmanuel:

I think it looks great 

Come on. First you have to dislike it, then like it Smiley

--

2016 Porsche 981 GT4 | Racing Yellow
    2018 Audi S6 Avant | Ibis White

bluelines:
    Enmanuel:

I think it looks great 

Come on. First you have to dislike it, then like it Smiley

Oh right silly me. Traditions must be upheld. Smiley

I think it looks great as well (it would look better the Touring version though).

They managed to solve the overall design much better than I would have guessed from the test cars (and side by side it looks more balanced than any 991 GT). The rear spoiler is actually less intrussive than I thought and the vents in the bonnet give some character instead of looking like pig nostrils.

Performance-wise is a beast, sub 7 mins around the Nurburgring is sick.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688954 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408904 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255619 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234878 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65459 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4640 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857732 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773679 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM