Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 996 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

GT3 Video in Gumball

GT3 palying with a Lambo Gallardo in Gumball 2004. Final part of this video the GT3 crashes in a curve. Maybe if it was a Turbo, the PSM would have save him.

http://www.gt3000.com/videos/chasing_rory.mpg

J.Seven

Re: GT3 Video in Gumball

Who says a GT3 doens't understeer?

PSM definately would of helped, at least he would of had a bit more steering capibility but who knows if enough to avoid the curb, it lookied like the road was pretty dirty. AWD wouldn't of helped there but that was just the example were PSM comes handy sometimes. Is it me or does it look like that curb has been hit quite a few times?

Awful roads to enjoy driving BTW... narrow lanes, few coners, very dirty surface, and full of elevation bumps continuaouly one after another... yuk!

ohhhh mannn!!!

That hurt!! The other day I had exactly the same in the snow with a opel astra but with just some minor body damage. Understeer really sucks... you feel so stupid when the car is going straight and you can't do anything! well, you can brake a little to put some weight on the front wheels to help them get a grip or also accelerate to "neutralize" the understeer. I haven't tried this last one myself (just heard it in top gear) cos I haven't driven a rwd car yet...

Quote:
    Arrixok said: also accelerate to "neutralize" the understeer. I haven't tried this last one myself (just heard it in top gear) cos I haven't driven a rwd car yet...

figures you heard it in Top Gear cause as far as I know if you come too hot into a corner and the car starts to plow straight from understeer, if you on top of it accelerate then the poop will really hit the fan! its just like hitting the brakes when a car is oversteering coming out of the corner from too much gas

... all you can do AFAIK (maybe someone else can contribute a fancier technique) is decrease throttle or even brake ever so lightly (to add weight, increase grip and scrubb off speed) while opening the steering angle (to decrease slip angle, increase grip), and hope you regain control/grip before you run out of enough asfalt to then negotiate the turn

the only scenario I could think of using the accelerator to neutralise undesteer is when the car starts to "slightly" understeer from progressive acceleration past mid corner and by adding a healthy dose of throttle you can switch from undesteer to neutral or oversteer... or 4 wheel drift ... but I have never cared to try this with my car only with the quad off road.

Carlos - you're right. Tapping the gas in a tight slow corner in a car with LSD like the GT3 will definitely make understeer worse. I only watched the video (no sound), so I don't know what he did with the throttle...

I like to set up my 911's to oversteer on corners like that (if no throttle) by setting the swaybars (softer front & stiffer rear), so you can neutralize it by adding throttle if necessary. If the car already understeers without throttle, you're screwed

Although very poor technique, I think slamming the brakes might've helped, since the car does have ABS. He was going too fast for his ability there...

yeah I thought of that... but it kinda made sense because if you had enough power to make the rear wheels suddenly spin and in that way dramatically decrease grip on the back... OK, you've already hit the wall The thing that I would never do intuitively is to open the steering angle... the "intuitive" reaction is actually to turn more. I'll have to practise with this since I can't practise any oversteer

BTW what is AFAIK?? I figure out the meaning of it but...

AFAIK is "As Far As I Know". Aside from hitting the throttle to break away the rear (which requires alot of power for a car with as much rear-end grip as a GT3), one could try the parking brake instead. Just be prepared to release it quickly. Not advisable in a tight space like that (and not good for the tires either)...

Looked like pilot error to me IMHO.

Quote:
    Grant said:one could try the parking brake instead. Just be prepared to release it quickly.

the Sportquad has a "rear" brake like a bike

And what you do (with the sportquad) sometimes then when you come in understeering is take a quick forceful "jab" at the rear brake (right foot) to brake loose the rears and then chop the thottle open to continue spinning the rears and continue the powersteer around the corner.
    But you can only do it when you have ample "exit" space because you will not always be able to do it, the rears need to break loose to go from the understeer to oversteer, but the fronts need to regain grip as well! (and that doesn't always happen) otherwise you will continue straight right on off the road. So if there is not enough space or a safe exit, then its best to open the steering and decelerate just enough to regain grip at the front (too much deceleration and the front will not be able to regain grip, no ABS), and when you do then break loose the rear with the throttle without risk of not having grip at the front and overteer that corner cause it will be a tighter corner than normal by then as well since you messed up the entry.

Sounds like fun

That was an awesome video! Very very sad about the GT3 crashing, lucky it wasnt a huge crash.

its definitely pilot error, ive talked to these guys on another forum, the guy in the GT3 is not familiar with the roads, whereas the lambo guy is.

one small lapse of attention, a misjudged apex / angle of turn, and crack.

Quote:
    Moogle said:
    its definitely pilot error, ive talked to these guys on another forum, the guy in the GT3 is not familiar with the roads, whereas the lambo guy is.

Holminator and Moogle,

Thanks for the peace of mind. After reading the confident discussion on understeer/dirty roads and then reviewing the clip ten or twenty times, I thought I was crazy to be the only one thinking the cause actually seemed to be due to lack of driver attention. Glad I'm not losing me mind. Yet.

Great video J.Seven, I just wish you didn't say anything about the crash so I could have been suprised

He accelerated at the wrong time. As the lambo driver was decelerating, he punched it a bit, and that was far too tight a curve. I think he saw a chance to overtake the lambo on that corner and got cocky. Perhaps on a track he would have had a chance, but all those straights, the AWD, no way on a road course would he be able to easily.

Quote:
    Moogle said:

I took that for granted already as the most probable, didn't look like any mechanical failure, question is, did he come in too hot for that curve (you could see the Lambo braked quite a bit for it) and understeered wide onto the outside curb or did he just not turn the steering by a distraction?. The latter wouldn't make sense to me. Given the poor quality surface with all the sand a small error is all it took to understeer into the curb.

Understeer sounds so weird for a GT3 actually...
    -Joost-

Any car can go into understeer if you come in too fast into a corner, whether its a FWD front-engined hatchback or a tail-happy 300SL Gullwing, its just that some ar harder than others.

ok, didn't know that, but it makes sense in a way I think
    -Joost-

picture of what really happened.

that's it? Seemed like he nailed the front end pretty good - I was expecting a trashed headling assembly and bumper, possibly even suspension damage with the front wheel. Wheel burn ain't bad at all...

well, it seems that the link to "chasing rory" is now broken.

TopherV, you are wrong...This is what really happened!!

What a pity looks like the real axl is broken ... that sort of accident could of happenend to anyone though.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    What a pity looks like the real axl is broken ... that sort of accident could of happenend to anyone though.

Not to Walter Rohrl

OK, could happen to any of "us" mortals then

Maybe we mortals would've gone a bit slower through unsafe areas?

Maybe we mortals were a bit over enthusiastic in our pursuit of that Gallardo that we'd take any risk to catch up and overtake, regardless if the car was supporting us or not no?

Is there a different link to the "chasing Rory" video please? the link I used to visit is dead...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689583 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409237 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255745 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234995 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65524 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4648 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857992 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774045 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM