Crown

Board: Lamborghini Language: English Region: Worldwide - USA Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Evo Spyder RWD

Hi Nick,

I’m perfectly willing to admit that I could be wrong, but I think your observation period of 30 years is too short to be conclusive. I hope you’d agree that any statements I make about climate change reflect my opinion, nothing more. That said, I do think there’s unequivocal evidence that both CO2 levels in our atmosphere and the average global temperature are increasing. Temperature volatility at any particular location is greater too. By the time we have irrefutable evidence of global warming, there will be little to be done about it. While it is possible that your view may be ultimately proven correct, the prevailing scientific opinion has been steadily moving away from your position for 40 years. I’m following the herd on this one.

Unusually warm winter here in Cyprus even by our standards, it's been 20-25 degrees for a better part of two weeks now.  Swimming in early Feb, was usually reserved for Russians/Scandy, but now we can all enjoy it:):)

Some unexpected benefits

mcdelaug:

Unica app finally says “In Production” 6 months after signing. Maybe 4-8 weeks to go!

WOW, I feel your excitement. The anticipation can be agonizing but at the same makes each passing moment more enjoyable. This is one of the better experiences of ordering a new car. Smiley

--

The purpose of life is to enjoy the moment.

Thanks Nick, the anticipation has been a nice distraction during this Covid drama. I plan to trade my Boxster GTS since I seldom drive it, but my wife told a friend she likes driving the manual transmission. This has me thinking about what car would I prefer to have with a manual...

mcdelaug:

Hi Nick,

I’m perfectly willing to admit that I could be wrong, but I think your observation period of 30 years is too short to be conclusive. I hope you’d agree that any statements I make about climate change reflect my opinion, nothing more. That said, I do think there’s unequivocal evidence that both CO2 levels in our atmosphere and the average global temperature are increasing. Temperature volatility at any particular location is greater too. By the time we have irrefutable evidence of global warming, there will be little to be done about it. While it is possible that your view may be ultimately proven correct, the prevailing scientific opinion has been steadily moving away from your position for 40 years. I’m following the herd on this one.

This ^

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Carlos from Spain:
    mcdelaug:

Hi Nick,

This ^

+1

--

2016 Porsche 981 GT4 | Racing Yellow
    2018 Audi S6 Avant | Ibis White

Carlos from Spain:
    mcdelaug:

Hi Nick,

This ^

I agree but I still believe in technology and I still believe humans shouldn't make their lives miserable for the sake of the environment but they should do everything reasonable(!) possible to protect it.

Btw: We had -11°C this morning here in Bavaria, had around -16°C over the past couple of days but it is warming up, forecast predicts +14°C in a week from now.  Actually, we had the most normal winter this year for a long time. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

mcdelaug:

Hi Nick,

-1 , if it is just a way to exert control via fear they have found a perfect way to do it. It pushes all the buttons. It divides nations and people while fueling the extremists on both sides. Lack of proof in order to be certain is a benefit if chaos is the final outcome.  (Why does every emergency result in more loss of freedom and more central control.).  
    Not saying either is not real but why do governments seem to take advantage to increase their scope?  Again, maybe convincing us is not their goal. 

I do agree Leawood that even western democratic governments are more invasive and controlling than before. I don’t think the global warming issue was created for that purpose. More likely it’s that some of the short term needs of reducing carbon output are most easily implemented with legislation that touches most of us as individuals.

mcdelaug:

I do agree Leawood that even western democratic governments are more invasive and controlling than before. I don’t think the global warming issue was created for that purpose. More likely it’s that some of the short term needs of reducing carbon output are most easily implemented with legislation that touches most of us as individuals.

Spot on.

--

mcdelaug:

Certainly not, this would (again) fall into that conspiracy theory territory. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

RC:
    mcdelaug:

Certainly not, this would (again) fall into that conspiracy theory territory. Smiley

Like that virus escaping from a Chinese lab conspiracy Smiley

--

The virus’ genomic sequence should allow you to look for manipulation, if such were actually performed. Given the political capital to be made if such evidence were found, the fact we’ve not heard it makes me think that it didn’t happen. It wouldn’t surprise me if China were doing gain of function work, remember they published that they had modified a human embryo with CRISPR to alter its CCR5 gene? I don’t think they feel any ethical constraints. Maybe we should ask the Uyghur people their opinion of CCP ethics...

mcdelaug:

Hi Nick,

Pretty much ANY time frame the alarmist dreamed up  is too short to be useful by the same token. It's a drop in a bucket in the grand scheme of things. Remember, the alarmists purposefully excluded the Medieval Warm Period in any of their charts, numbers, etc as that breaks their model. 

They also conveniently skipped the part about deforestation. Basic science, what consume CO2 on Earth? Trees, plants. And humans have been clearing forests forever and especially so last few decades as human population exploded and needed the building materials and the land. Just watch what would happen if human ban the use of wood and start planting more and more trees, CO2 level would drop. 

I really don't mind the green initiative for better air quality, but just don't drag global warming into it. We still have no solid proof one way or another and I am keeping my eyes and ears open for any options instead of confining my thinking to just one. 

--

bluelines:
    RC:
    mcdelaug:

Like that virus escaping from a Chinese lab conspiracy Smiley

Not the same level of conspiracy theory since the Chinese are/were hiding lots of things and even he WHO inspectors weren't entirely happy with their visit, also they were on a tight route/schedule, weren't able to roam freely. Smiley

--

mcdelaug:

The virus’ genomic sequence should allow you to look for manipulation, if such were actually performed. Given the political capital to be made if such evidence were found, the fact we’ve not heard it makes me think that it didn’t happen. It wouldn’t surprise me if China were doing gain of function work, remember they published that they had modified a human embryo with CRISPR to alter its CCR5 gene? I don’t think they feel any ethical constraints. Maybe we should ask the Uyghur people their opinion of CCP ethics...

Not necessarily (I read a some stuff about this and apparently you can mask a lot of things in genetic modifications engineering). You are right, any country discovering this would probably shut up about it and use it as political leverage. 

I highly doubt the Wuhan virus was intentionally released in any way but I would never say it hasn't been genetically modified in a Chinese lab, simply because you can't know. I do not trust the Chinese in this matter, too much hiding after the pandemic started, too many typical deflection strategies on various levels and the WHO inspectors were given access way too late, without free roaming possibilities and on a tight schedule. 

The world should have punished China for this but instead, it is business like usual, which is sad but politically understandable. Many economies are badly hurt, it wouldn't help anyone to start a trade war or whatever with China right now.

--

I’ll agree that there are ways to conceal one’s footsteps with genetic engineering, but if you have enough wild type samples and make enough effort, you should be able to determine with an adequate degree of confidence if a particular genome has been significantly modified or not. I do have a PhD in molecular biology and genetically engineered a transgenic mouse model of heart failure, so I have some familiarity with the relevant techniques.

mcdelaug:

I’ll agree that there are ways to conceal one’s footsteps with genetic engineering, but if you have enough wild type samples and make enough effort, you should be able to determine with an adequate degree of confidence if a particular genome has been significantly modified or not. I do have a PhD in molecular biology and genetically engineered a transgenic mouse model of heart failure, so I have some familiarity with the relevant techniques.

Nick, i think your outgunned on this one.Smiley

--

The purpose of life is to enjoy the moment.

mcdelaug:

RC will not agree. end of the discussion Smiley However, that's an impressive background, Sir. We would be honored if you could enlighten us with analysis and if you have done any work on this subject. I am sure anyone would benefit from it.Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

mcdelaug:

Oh, exciting! An actual expert Smiley What a welcome announcement Smiley​​​​​​ SuperPowers™ will of course disagree with you, as already mentioned, but let’s ignore that. 

Tell us more.

--

Waiting for Robin to step in and to let us know that the consensus does not recognized molecular biology and genetic engineering because the ''we'' smiley said that.

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

Ok, just to establish a little credibility, here’s the article I alluded to before where my collaborators and I genetically modified a mouse to overexpress IGF-1 in cardiac and skeletal muscle. 

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/10544175/

I did a little more work in this area but then moved on to the MD part of my training (too much politics in basic science for me). So if you look you might find some more articles from cardiac electrophysiology, what I do now...

As for the Covid question, I haven’t researched what evidence exists for the virus being engineered, intentionally released or anything else. My statement was simply that if you have the genomic sequence of the versions of the virus that exist “in the wild” and compare them to the genomic sequence of the first version detected in humans, it should be possible to identify sequences that look “engineered” if that was done. RC is correct that you can make such engineering difficult to detect, but the following would be some potential clues:

*** the total number of base pairs that deviate in the human variant vs the closest wild type variant (indicating a rate of change greater than would be expected naturally)

*** concentration of base pair changes that resemble “editing” upstream or downstream of a key sequence (think splicing where something you wanted to change was present)

*** base pair sequence changes that are “convenient” for genetic engineering (such as adding or deleting restriction enzyme binding sites or sequences that assist in using other techniques)

Since the genomic sequence for the human infecting variant is published, it’s been scrutinized by scientists from all over the world with all possible political affiliations. If there were a “smoking gun” indicating intentional construction and release, I think it would be revealed by now.

I do think it is clear that Covid-19 was infecting thousands of people in Wuhan and creating a medical crisis there long before China acknowledged this. Hubris and a desire to avoid public embarrassment delayed admission and made it easier for travelers to spread the virus elsewhere. I do not think the WHO will have adequate site access or the political will to identify whether corona viruses were being actively studied / manipulated in Wuhan by a state sponsored facility. For me, the WHO investigation is politically expedient theater. Any evidence that remains will be what has been left for them to find. Ultimately, as others have stated, economics will dictate the near term political response to this mess by western powers (ie essentially nothing will happen). I think the best we can do in this situation is to get as close to 100 percent vaccination ASAP before new variants appear and allow Covid to become a never ending mess (Carlos has covered this very clearly in his posts).

Frankly, I’d much rather talk about new cardiac EP technology if anyone is interested... We do have some cool new tech at work...

mcdelaug:

Frankly, I’d much rather talk about new cardiac EP technology if anyone is interested... We do have some cool new tech at work...

Yes, please Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

nberry:
    mcdelaug:

Nick, i think your outgunned on this one.Smiley

Not necessarily: If the Wuhan lab was a government lab (and it seems that way), you can count 1 + 1 and everything is possible, including new (masking) techniques.

--

bluelines:
    mcdelaug:

Oh, exciting! An actual expert Smiley What a welcome announcement Smiley​​​​​​ SuperPowers will of course disagree with you, as already mentioned, but let’s ignore that. 

Tell us more.

I guess you didn't read what he wrote too well...or you didn't understand it...lack of SuperPowers and all. Smiley

This is why mcdelaug mentioned that if a government would find out that the Chinese did something fishy, they would probably not make it public.

Sorry, I can't explain it to you in Swedish but I could give it a try in Schwyzerdütsch. Smiley

Btw: Molecular biology and genetics were a part of my medicine studies, even if I don't have a PhD in this and I didn't practice medicine for a long time. Better than your Swedish middle school biology class for sure. Smiley Smiley

--

RC:
    bluelines:
    mcdelaug:

Oh, exciting! An actual expert Smiley What a welcome announcement Smiley​​​​​​ SuperPowers will of course disagree with you, as already mentioned, but let’s ignore that. 

Tell us more.

I guess you didn't read what he wrote too well...or you didn't understand it...lack of SuperPowers and all. Smiley

This is why mcdelaug mentioned that if a government would find out that the Chinese did something fishy, they would probably not make it public.

Sorry, I can't explain it to you in Swedish but I could give it a try in Schwyzerdütsch. Smiley

Btw: Molecular biology and genetics were a part of my medicine studies, even if I don't have a PhD in this and I didn't practice medicine for a long time. Better than your Swedish middle school biology class for sure. Smiley Smiley

Anyone who knows what they are talking about would not answer like that. Conclusion, you don’t know what you are talking about and you feel threatened. 

i am not pretending to be an expert. You are. I am just happy that we have an expert on the forum. No, it is not you.

wink

--

I do not pretend to be an expert. I am a doctor and a pharmacist. I studied this stuff (what did you study exactly? Being a jokester?). Meaning: I am more qualified and better informed than you when it comes to any kind of illness, medication or vaccination. That simple. I guess you don't have a clue what doctors and pharmacists do, you probably think they just write prescriptions and sell medicine over the counter. Smiley Smiley  I do not feel threatened, I feel annoyed and insulted. Much worse.

When we talk about cars, this is one thing (even if at my age, I do not really have the tolerance for irony anymore, I say it how I want to say it) but this is my job and I take it very personal. 

I mean c'mon dude, I was filling up tons of syringes with Camirnaty for people to get vaccinated a few weeks ago while you were probably picking your nose in front of your TV, watching Netflix and you make fun of me? You are really a piece. Smiley

--

My SA emailed me that my EVO RWD is now on the water, with scheduled port arrival May 5. Maybe I’ll have it by mid May... only 9 months later!

You must be very excited . Spring 21 is a good one for you kiss

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690466 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409737 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255993 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235271 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65645 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858398 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774675 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM