Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

UK Insurance

Help Please....
    I know there was a post some time back re the insurancing of the new PO, but I cant seem to get the search engine to work properly.
    If anyone can direct me to the post, I'd really appreciate it. Or let me know who you are insured with? as I've hit a brick wall with the 50K ceiling on a couple of quotes, although my company brokers have provided a quote for Pounds2,500, which I'm sure can be improved. (full NCP) Thanks in advance for all your help

Re: UK Insurance

I have a quote of Pounds1060 from Royal Sun Alliance who require fitment of a tracker. That's by far the best quote thus far.

Med try Porsche insurance,thats who i am with ,Pounds1200,only Pounds350 xs and no tracker required I phoned loads of companies and as you said most wont insure the car because of the Pounds50,000 ceiling rule and those that will insure require a tracker.Only Norwich Union Direct and Porsche Insurance dont require a Tracker.Porsche insurance is normally more expensive as you would expect as any repairs are carried out at an approved Porsche centre,but at the moment they are actually very competitive.Also dont except their first quote as i got another 10% off just by asking nicely

OK, I've been getting quotes for a 987S but hopefully these may help you. Cheapest by far have been:

Tescos (used these on my last Boxster S - need tracker though, and nobble you for factory fit options)
    Halifax.co.uk
    First Alternate

All these quoting in the 700-800 range (Halifax initially quoted less than Pounds500 but I forgot to save the quote and when I went back their premiums had gone up). They have clear, if different, attitudes to factory fit options - some classify them as mods others don't. This compares with high st borker & porsche ins who both pointed me towards NU with a premium of approx Pounds1100.

Might also be worth trying Confused.com who poll a number of insurers but you only have to fill in one form.

Also be careful if you have options - some insures who accept them and up your premium will only pay out for the value of the std car on a total loss - I don't get it either...

I am VERY suspicious of Halifax. Initially quoted me Pounds490, then when I rang again it had dropped to Pounds420.Pounds500 xs. I have asked them three times to confirm their quote and send me a copy and they have still not done so. Their website will not let me retrieve the quote, either. So on that basis I will NOT be considering them as cheapest price is not always best value! The next best was Porsche at Pounds660 / 350 xs. Very professional, excellent cover, all repairs, even windscreen replacement done by Porsche, quote and policy received in post the next day as promised. Worst was Peart, very unhelpful, Pounds720 with Pounds520 xs, refused to confirm quote which is only valid on month of delivery. Very helpful if you want your car on the 1st! Platinum were Pounds670 with Pounds520 xs. Car is new Boxster "S". Yes I know this is the 997 Board but blame my mate from Andover.

Med,

went through exactly the same process 2 weeks ago. The four best quotes I received were from

Egg - approx Pounds970, tracker required
    Tesco - approx Pounds950, tracker required
    Privilege - Pounds995, tracker required
    Porsche UK - Pounds1250, tracker required

None of the online applications work for this car as they are all set at a limit of Pounds50K. However, if you phone them this isn't a problem. I went for privilege in the end as they guaranteed porsche dealer repairs for any bodywork, rather than shipping out to soem back street sprayer!

Hope this helps!

Guys, make SURE they use a Porsche approved bodyshop for any unfortunate repairs. Hold them to the contract for any mischievaous behaviour on their part...we all know the scams these insurance people run

I think under UK insurance law you can demand that you car is repaired where you want it to be ie approved repairers. But if the insurer is offering a 'free' courtesy car it's often tied to when you use one of their repairers - it's a great game isn't it...?

Quote:
    ///AMG Mercedes said:
    Guys, make SURE they use a Porsche approved bodyshop for any unfortunate repairs. Hold them to the contract for any mischievaous behaviour on their part...we all know the scams these insurance people run

Which is why I will almost certainly be using Porsche Insurance. ALL repairs by Porsche, even glass. Cover is for purchase price of the car including extras. In addition if the car is damaged in the 1st year and the cost of repair is greater than 60% of purchase price then you get a new car. I believe that the Porsche deal is a great package, and for me anyway attractive against supermarket and internet quotes that only appear cheap. Until you need to claim.

Blimey - your quotations seem cheap - I'm with Egg and am paying .Pounds1,800 despite full no claims and clean licence. I guess that's what happens with living in London.

Yup - London is pricey, even if you're garaged.

I'm with Privilege - Pounds1,400pa, Pounds850 excess, GPS Tracker required.

Make sure you confirm which tracker is approved by your insurer, as some non-GPS models (e.g. Tracker Monitor) aren't acceptable to some insurers. You need something like a Tracker Horizon to shut them up.

Bickley Insurance and 1800 quid for a 30 year old not garaged in a city centre

Quote:
    Ed J said:
    Blimey - your quotations seem cheap - I'm with Egg and am paying .Pounds1,800 despite full no claims and clean licence. I guess that's what happens with living in London.

No - it's one advantage of being old - I'm 50 next birthday. Car garaged and living in Southampton. Tracker not essential with Porsche Insurance but discount if fitted. Quoted on that basis. Serves you right for being young and successful

I'm in the U.S. and have never heard of an ins. company requiring a GPS Tracking device in order to get insured.I'm assuming this is required so the ins. company can track where you go. What is the reason for this?? Do they charge you depending on where you take the car??

The tracker system is fitted to all police traffic patrol cars in the UK and as soon as you report your car stolen details are forwarded to the police who will then trace and recover the car. That's the theory anyway but professional car thieves know where the GPS units are usually hidden and can disable them with nothing more than a piece of aluminium foil.

Insurers insist upon fitment on expensive cars to reduce the risk of having to pay out on a total loss basis. But who wants a 997 back that some scumbag has joy ridden in and thrashed the living daylights out of? The other problem is that in the UK your cars history is affected when you come to sell as it is kept on the insurance register as being stolen/recovered and you are obliged to inform a potential buyer of this fact. This devalues your car.

Quote:
    John MDF OR said:
    I'm in the U.S. and have never heard of an ins. company requiring a GPS Tracking device in order to get insured.I'm assuming this is required so the ins. company can track where you go. What is the reason for this?? Do they charge you depending on where you take the car??

Tracker is a concealed radio transmitter that is activated if the vehicle is stolen. All UK police forces have Tracker tracing equipment in their patrol vehicles which locates and tracks down the vehicle and with any luck those that nicked it. There is no visible way of telling whether this device is fitted and the installers are strictly forbidden to inform even the owner where the device is hidden. It does not track the vehicle when driven legitimately. Only Tracker Horizon is GPS based.

Massive thanks for some really great advice. I now need to start phoning some of the names mentioned; I'll post my best quote as soon as I get it. cheers.

dreamcar, I think its a great idea to have a device to track a stolen car but can it also be used to determine your location when you are driving or is it as you say only activated when the car is stolen. If its activarted only when the car is stolen how does that work?

Quote:
    ISUK said:
    Insurers insist upon fitment on expensive cars to reduce the risk of having to pay out on a total loss basis. But who wants a 997 back that some scumbag has joy ridden in and thrashed the living daylights out of? The other problem is that in the UK your cars history is affected when you come to sell as it is kept on the insurance register as being stolen/recovered and you are obliged to inform a potential buyer of this fact. This devalues your car.

Don't agree with this part of your post. A few years ago my Audi TT was stolen and recovered. It was obviously sold to order (not many expensive cars are stolen by joyriders) as the police found it in a lock up garage with a cover on it - ironically as I normally park my car on the road, not to mention drive them pretty hard, it was probably better looked after by the criminals!

Anyway, when I came to sell it about two months later, there was no insurance register that logged the car as stolen recovered and I probably suffered lower depreciation on that car than I have on any other.

One last point, I didn't have a tracker on this car, but at the time I wished I had, because even if you recover your car and it has been trashed, it's a lot less hassle to have it repaired on insurance and sold than it is to get your insurance company to buy you another one. My insurance company basically suspected me of nicking it myself - they asked for photos (I had plenty of photos but none with me next to the car) and because I had imported the car from abroad, they were very suspicious about the invoice I provided them with.

All in all it was a nightmare, and I would always get trackers going forward.

Quote:
    John MDF OR said:
    dreamcar, I think its a great idea to have a device to track a stolen car but can it also be used to determine your location when you are driving or is it as you say only activated when the car is stolen. If its activarted only when the car is stolen how does that work?

What actually happens is there's a modem within the tracker that transmits a sort of text message back to the monitoring station when the cars moves a certain distance, without the engine running, I think it was 200 yards or something close.

I remember reading somewhere that some of the newer and better systems can trace into Europe and will warn if a car is near docks

Quote:
    John MDF OR said:

No, it can't trace unless it has been activated by Tracker. That only happens if the car has been moved without the owner's consent. With Tracker Retrieve (the basic system) you have to notify Tracker that the car has gone missing. Tracker Monitor works automatically via a movement sensor and alerts Tracker who then contact you to verify the activation. If they can't contact you then they assume the car has been stolen. Tracker Horizon, the top system, incorporates GPS in addition to radio but otherwise works as Tracker Monitor.
    Almost all insurers prefer the Monitor system.

Yes, the last time I went to France on holiday, travelling by ferry, I got a call from my tracker company checking that I still had my car - they could tell it was moving without the key having been in the lock.

Thought it was quite cool and at least I knew the tracker was working!

Best quote I ogt was with Peart and Royal Sun Alliance Pounds892.50, just a smigeon more than my 8 year old XK8 cab, however I have to have a tracker Horizon and I am under a curfew, no theft claims at this address between 10pm and 6 am unless it is garaged!!
    I had a similar episode to Ed J with the tracker, I washed the car and put it away at 10.30 am one morning then recieved a call from Tracker 10 minutes later on my mobile asking if my car was OK as it had detected unusual movements since it was still in the garage either it was air pressure from the garage door, or the car was lonely!

Thanks for the information about Tracker. I appreciate your replys. I don't know if they have Tracker systems in the U.S. but I will be checking into them. Thanks

Quote:
    John MDF OR said:
    Thanks for the information about Tracker. I appreciate your replys. I don't know if they have Tracker systems in the U.S. but I will be checking into them. Thanks

The problem is the police forces have to be equipped with the Tracker location kit. Surely something similar must exist in the States? I know Tracker are trying to get European coverage, same problem.

I know you can have tracking devices implanted in cats & dogs so why not my 997s Cab. Its part of the family to!!!

The basic tracker emits a radio signal that Police forces have to be equipped to receive, but the later and more expensive versions of tracker etc have GPS locators and mobile phones (all hidden of course) to ring up and tell tracker control where they are and what is happening!

I have now sourced the best insurance quotes, relevant to my location etc. Privilege was by far the cheapest at Pounds1230.
    Porsches insurance came in at Pounds2000. So i'll be going with the privilege policy, which incidentally includes any repairs at PO garage
    Thanks for all your posts, it certainly helped focus my quotation requests.

Regarding tracker, PO dealer has suggested a new system that's has some big advantages over the current systems.
    The big one as far I'm concerned is that you can actually contact your car by mobile and switch the engine off, Wow.
    In the first instance the car calls you and allows you to locate the car and stop the theft

I've put a link for you all to see the products web site. The down side is its about Pounds1,000 to buy but it is transferable from car to car unlike all the current systems.

The link
    www.i-mob.co.uk

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763015 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435657 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260671 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257676 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80980 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5323 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872563 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808004 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM