Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Top Gear presented by Chris Harris...

He almost destroyed the car at the end lol.

Top Gear TV ep4, s27: super-cheap classics in... Borneo

1562407941166image.jpeg

The Borneo Ultimatum

If you want a truly rare car, you don’t need to spend millions on a Ferrari 250 California Spyder or Aston DB4. Because, if you’re prepared to spend a long time trawling the most harrowing corners of the classifieds, you’ll discover cars that are very rare and very cheap.

Cars, in some cases, with just a couple of examples left on the road. The most endangered of species. But are super-rare, super-cheap classics a good idea? To find out, Paddy got himself a Matra Bagheera, France’s forgotten Seventies sports car, while Freddie went truly exotic with… an Austin Allegro estate. Whereupon they were dispatched to Borneo, the vast rainforest island that’s home to many rare beasts of its own.

And, on account of being somewhat jungly, a challenging environment for a pair of knackered old cars. But an even more challenging environment for Paddy, a man who, by his own admission, isn’t a confident traveller. And also isn’t a fan of eating still-squirming sago worms. 

Tune in Sunday 8pm, BBC Two and BBC iPlayer. Episode 4’s guest is Bob Mortimer!  Smiley

Link:  https://www.topgear.com/car-news/top-gear-tv/tg-tv-ep4-s27-super-cheap-classics-borneo

Smiley

What? No Reliant Scemitar? The least they should have brought was a Jensen FF Interceptor. indecision

JimFlat6:

What? No Reliant Scemitar? The least they should have brought was a Jensen FF Interceptor. indecision

Love the Jensen Interceptor! The coolest model name. Ever. Smiley

Just listen to this Smiley 

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

That's brilliant indeed.

--

1969 Mercedes-Benz 300SEL 6.3  / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (sold) / 2011 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Performance / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Clubsport

The Jensen Interceptor is one of my classic cars favorites (and I don't have many)... Smiley

So is the Lamborghini Espada, just saw one recently, looked like new. Smiley

esp2.jpg
    esp3.jpg
    esp1.jpg
    esp4.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Top Gear ep5, s27: Paddy vs Toyota Supra, and the Lotus 79

1562882429602image.jpeg

Supra heavyweight

Paddy McGuinness, being a chap of unquestionable taste and judgement, is quite the fan of the old A80 Toyota Supra. So, with a new Supra out, what better excuse to get a nice quiet drive of the Nineties icon? Y’know, one of those nice quiet drives that escalates into a convoy of many, many modified old Supras. And an old 911 Turbo. And a DB7. And a Ferrari 512 TR. One of those nice quiet drives that ends with a thrash around the track in the new Supra, and a good argument with Chris Harris, who is something of a sceptic when it comes to Japan’s newest sports car…

That’s why Freddie goes to Iceland

Freddie Flintoff. Sporting legend, annoyingly competent at everything he turns his hand to, all-round nice bloke. But, on early impressions at least, an all-round nice bloke with literally no sense of fear. Properly, genuinely concerning lack of self-preservation.

Now, obviously there were two possible ways to discover if Freddie had any function left in his fear gland. One, some sort of extensive medical test, probably involving CAT scanners and the like. Two, packing him off to compete in Iceland’s Formula Off Road – the maddest, smashiest motorsport on the planet, in which thousand-horsepower trucks race to the top of vertical cliffs – to see if he’d flinch at any point. Obviously, we went for Option Two.

Chris Harris meets the 79

The Lotus 79. Black Beauty. Unquestionably the most stunning F1 car of all time, and, according to Chris Harris, the most important of the bunch. So Top Gear’s answer to Mary Beard dusted off the racing history books, and headed to Lotus’s Norfolk HQ to discover the incredible history of the 79. A story of genius and innovation, of heroism and subterfuge, of victory and tragedy. A story of true racing legends. A story of the most beautiful racecar of them all. And then Lotus asked if Chris would like to have a little drive of it…

The final episode in this series features guest star Will Young. Catch it on BBC Two and BBC iPlayer

Link:  https://www.topgear.com/car-news/top-gear-tv/top-gear-ep5-s27-paddy-vs-toyota-supra-and-lotus-79

Chris Harris on the Lotus 79 (Top Gear video)

1562882319286image.jpeg

Video Link:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bm8EDkaCfH0

Smiley

RC:

The Jensen Interceptor is one of my classic cars favorites (and I don't have many)... Smiley

So is the Lamborghini Espada, just saw one recently, looked like new. Smiley

esp2.jpg
    esp3.jpg
    esp1.jpg
    esp4.jpg

Like the Lamborghini immensely; however, one remains close with a certain Maserati Ghibli SS.  It is simply one of the most beautiful automobiles of all times, though it is showing its age.  It is amazing that cars from the 1960s, even the late sixties, felt dated twenty years henceforth, while a twenty year old car feels relatively modern, even if its infotainment system is dated, or even non-existent.

***** Top Gear TV Christmas Special 2019 *****

Paddy, Freddie and Chris head to Nepal to test their future-proofed 'city cars'

(29 December 2019)

Top Gear telly returns tonight with a Christmas special that promises to be ground-breaking in at least two regards. First, because it is actually screened some time around Christmas. Second, because it genuinely, properly tackles a major motoring issue of our time. The issue of urban transportation.

See, scientist-types predict that, by 2050, 70 per cent of the world’s population – some seven billion people – will live in cities. Which means that, in the future, the world won’t need SUVs or supercars. What the world will need… is city cars. Specifically, city cars that are tough enough to withstand anything the mega-cities of the future can throw at them.

So, as a service to humankind, Paddy, Freddie and Chris were ordered to go out and buy, for less than five grand, their ultimate future-proof city car.

Chris, predictably, went for an old, slow French car: a Renault 4 painted in a shade known as ‘budget toothpaste’.

Paddy, marginally less predictably, went for a classic hot hatch in the shape of a Peugeot 106 Rallye.

And Freddie… well, Freddie didn’t buy anything at all. His logic? These big Top Gear adventures always involve the producers instructing the presenters to buy small, cheap cars in the UK, and then shipping them somewhere far-flung and exotic where they’re completely out of their depth. Flintoff’s strategy? To wait to see where they’d be sent, then buy a local car more appropriate for the job.

This, clearly, was an utterly cynical strategy, unfortunately somewhat vindicated when the producers revealed that the venue for this city car test would be… Nepal. So off they headed to Kathmandu, the three presenters and their two cars, whereupon Freddie bought himself something called a Hulas Mustang, which is apparently Nepal’s first-ever locally built car, not that anyone in Nepal seemed to have much idea what it was.

So how would these city cars – sorry, ‘city cars’ – be put to the test? Well, obviously, with a ‘commute’ from Kathmandu to the Forbidden City of Lo Manthang, a secretive kingdom on the far side of the Himalayas. The Himalayas, it turns out, are (a) really quite large, and (b) not served by a road network you’d describe as ‘well-surfaced’ or, in many parts, ‘existent’.

Cue a week-long expedition through the highest mountains, deepest gorges and toughest terrain on the planet, a mission that would test even the toughest 4x4s to the limit. As for a couple of knackered old French city cars and a lump of Nepalese pig-iron, well, let’s just say the survival rate was less than 100 per cent…

Top Gear’s Christmas special hits UK screens on 29 December at 9pm on BBC Two.

Link: https://www.topgear.com/car-news/top-gear-tv/top-gear-tvs-2019-christmas-special-ps5k-city-car

Smiley

Boxster Coupe GTS:

***** Top Gear TV Christmas Special 2019 *****

Paddy, Freddie and Chris head to Nepal to test their future-proofed 'city cars'

(29 December 2019)

Top Gear telly returns tonight with a Christmas special that promises to be ground-breaking in at least two regards. First, because it is actually screened some time around Christmas. Second, because it genuinely, properly tackles a major motoring issue of our time. The issue of urban transportation.

See, scientist-types predict that, by 2050, 70 per cent of the world’s population – some seven billion people – will live in cities. Which means that, in the future, the world won’t need SUVs or supercars. What the world will need… is city cars. Specifically, city cars that are tough enough to withstand anything the mega-cities of the future can throw at them.

So, as a service to humankind, Paddy, Freddie and Chris were ordered to go out and buy, for less than five grand, their ultimate future-proof city car.

Chris, predictably, went for an old, slow French car: a Renault 4 painted in a shade known as ‘budget toothpaste’.

Paddy, marginally less predictably, went for a classic hot hatch in the shape of a Peugeot 106 Rallye.

And Freddie… well, Freddie didn’t buy anything at all. His logic? These big Top Gear adventures always involve the producers instructing the presenters to buy small, cheap cars in the UK, and then shipping them somewhere far-flung and exotic where they’re completely out of their depth. Flintoff’s strategy? To wait to see where they’d be sent, then buy a local car more appropriate for the job.

This, clearly, was an utterly cynical strategy, unfortunately somewhat vindicated when the producers revealed that the venue for this city car test would be… Nepal. So off they headed to Kathmandu, the three presenters and their two cars, whereupon Freddie bought himself something called a Hulas Mustang, which is apparently Nepal’s first-ever locally built car, not that anyone in Nepal seemed to have much idea what it was.

So how would these city cars – sorry, ‘city cars’ – be put to the test? Well, obviously, with a ‘commute’ from Kathmandu to the Forbidden City of Lo Manthang, a secretive kingdom on the far side of the Himalayas. The Himalayas, it turns out, are (a) really quite large, and (b) not served by a road network you’d describe as ‘well-surfaced’ or, in many parts, ‘existent’.

Cue a week-long expedition through the highest mountains, deepest gorges and toughest terrain on the planet, a mission that would test even the toughest 4x4s to the limit. As for a couple of knackered old French city cars and a lump of Nepalese pig-iron, well, let’s just say the survival rate was less than 100 per cent…

Top Gear’s Christmas special hits UK screens on 29 December at 9pm on BBC Two.

Link: https://www.topgear.com/car-news/top-gear-tv/top-gear-tvs-2019-christmas-special-ps5k-city-car

Smiley

So sad that they are resorting to copying Clarkson's complete format, 3 presenters and doing road trips. They could have broken away from that and say use 1 or 2 or 4 or 10 presenters and skip these road trips. 

--

Top Gear - New Series Preview with Chris Harris... Smiley

Turn up the volume... Smiley

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILxXn6AWqO4

...how do you like them apples? 

Smiley

Looks good. Hopefully the presenters will not ruin the experience!

***** BBC Top Gear with Chris Harris driving McLaren Speedtail ***** (series 28, episode 2, Sunday 2nd January 2020)

You might be interested to know that McLaren has a new hypercar called the Speedtail. It costs two million quid, will do 250mph and looks like a spaceship. In other news, the RAF has a new fighter jet. It’s called the F-35B Lightning II, it costs £100m, will do 1,200mph, can land vertically, and has guns. It is, in short, the sort of machine that only the lightly daft would challenge to a race.

So Chris and Paddy grabbed a McLaren Speedtail and headed to RAF Marham to do exactly that. Time for a rematch.

The new Land Rover Defender will be immense off-road, sure, but it’s expensive. And thus, Paddy takes it upon himself to cook up a budget off-roader; something that blends the no-nonsense practicality of a Bedford Rascal van with the off-road smarts of a Daihatsu FourTrak. And a dash of ‘provincial town day spa’ for good measure. Introducing, for your viewing pleasure, the Dirty Rascal.

This week’s guest is Romesh Ranganathan. Watch the new episode this Sunday 2 February, 8pm, BBC Two or catch up on BBC iPlayer…

Link: https://www.topgear.com/car-news/top-gear-tv/gallery-top-gear-series-28-episode-2

Smiley

BBC Top Gear series 28, episode 4

A date with the Baja 1000, and Renault's Megane Trophy-R takes on a few... rivals

(14 Feb 2020)

Buoyed by their unexpected success in Formula Off Road last series (sixth and seventh best in country, though admittedly the country in question was Iceland), Chris Harris and Freddie head to Mexico to compete in the most gruelling off-road race on the planet: the Baja 1000. A 24-hour, 800-mile non-stop charge over brutal desert terrain. An endurance marathon that tests machine and human to destruction. And beyond. Way beyond.

Elsewhere, there’s a showdown between Renault’s hot Megane Trophy-R, a Porsche Cayman GT4… and an old Lamborghini. Tune in Sunday night, BBC Two at 8pm, or catch up on BBC iPlayer.

Link: https://www.topgear.com/car-news/top-gear-tv/gallery-top-gear-series-28-episode-4

Smiley 

New series of BBC Top Gear with Chris Harris hits the screens on Sunday 4th October 2020...  E0F26BDD-E91B-4EF4-964B-7C4204B9E420.gif

Smiley

F35, I see them pretty much every week flying around... The plant is a few miles from my house.

Top Gear with Chris Harris on BBC One this Sunday...  E0F26BDD-E91B-4EF4-964B-7C4204B9E420.gif

8DD90A4D-A1A8-4A5C-BFA6-E9B4C76B1970.jpeg

Link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000nh2n

Smiley

part 2:

Enjoyed the Late Brake show with Jonny & Chris’s chat, many thanks for sharing Smiley

--

VW Golf GTI 5dr DSG Tornado Red

sad

7:00+

28,500€

https://twitter.com/harrismonkey/status/1358790318011932674

https://www.instagram.com/p/CK67vUpFF0F/

Influencer...how I really hate this word. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

RC:

You should change your title from Rennteam Administrator to Rennteam Influencer smiley

--

2016 Porsche 981 GT4 | Racing Yellow
    2018 Audi S6 Avant | Ibis White

bluelines:
    RC:

You should change your title from Rennteam Administrator to Rennteam Influencer smiley

Smiley Smiley

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

991 GT3.2 pick up April/May 2018. ( Hairy Chest Spec ).

Vauxhall Zafira 1.6 Exclusive pick up June 2013. ( Shit Box )

Rennteam Hairy Chest Advisor.

01:16​ Calling Iain Litchfield

paid content kills the honest opinion - which I never had a feeling with Mr. Jww anyway......- I hope Michelin is cutting him off as well....

bluelines:
    RC:

Should I set up a GoFundMe account then? Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

BjoernB:

paid content kills the honest opinion - which I never had a feeling with Mr. Jww anyway......- I hope Michelin is cutting him off as well....

Smiley None of the influencers really share an honest opinion with the outside world, unless it serves a purpose. Smiley

Also, let's be real here: None of the car companies, etc. want honest opinions to be made public. 

At some point of my early social media "career", I was offered a unique possibility to talk to the head of quality control at Weissach (Porsche). It was mainly related to my Cayenne Turbo (I complaint about the delayed throttle response) but also related to my social media posts I made around that time. This guy was so annoyed that he had to talk to me, I realized pretty fast that this meeting was pointless, he was probably forced to meet because the meet was arranged by Wiedeking's office. Smiley After the meet, I wrote an angry letter to Wiedeking because nothing came out of this. 
    Take a guess what happened next? Nothing. Zilch. I kept my personal contacts to Porsche individuals but the official door was closed. Car manufacturers do not like their products to be badmouthed or even criticized. 

One reason I didn't pursue this "career" any further, I didn't need the attention (nor the money...if there was any to be made at that time) and I prefer to be independent enough to say what I truly think than having to pretend or shut up.

There are a few car journalists who open their mouth but they are very very rare and when they do, they often say it through the flower or just in a very very subtle way. They know that if they piss of the companies, they will not be invitied anymore. This is a fact.

--

Chris is just epic 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM